shape
carat
color
clarity

Bezel PSA!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I lurve bezels. Madly. Passionately. Practically.

Bezels are completely awesome for safety: for maximizing stone size; for just looking really cool in an ancient-meets-modern sort of a way.

But, as with all things, there are trade-offs. For example, in the wrong setting, gunk can build up and interfere with the brilliance of your stone. And it's not even a question of expertise: sometimes, even the best jeweler can miscalculate fractionally.

My custom guy has been making most of my stuff since I was ... 20? So that's an awful lot of bezels, over the years. But when he made my pear pendant, it looked a little dull, and it took me a while to figure out why. He'd shaped the back of the bezel just a leetle closer to the stone and a leetle further along towards the center than optimal, so while it looked great right after a professional ultrasound + heavy-duty steam-cleaning ... at home, I couldn't get it clean at all. Not with a Jewel Jet: not with a little scrubby brush; not with all the Dawn in the world; not even with a stolen cat's whisker, still too coarse to get into the space. (What?!? Necessity is the mother of invention.)

So I had him take a burr and clean it out last year, and it was better ... but still a little dull looking. I figured it was just less of a good cut than I'd hoped for when I bought it. But I took a closer look the other day, and ... yep. While not as bad, a persistent ring-around-the-collar was still building up at the bottom of the bezel, right where the biggest facets on the pear were!

So back to the jeweler I went, and, bam! It's a fireball all of a sudden. I keep getting distracted by stray rainbows shining forth from my bosom! (Ahem.) So ... my public service announcement to you: loupe your stones pre-and-post setting, and if you see any gunk or interference, hie ye to your jeweler! It's 20 minutes work with a burr for them to make it right.

Shiny Pendant Post Clean-Up PS1.jpg

Shiny Pendant Post Clean-Up PS2.jpg

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe, I lurve your bezel too! What a beautiful pendant! Me want one.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lovely necklace!!! Glad you got it fixed and sparkly again!!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful pendant!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty pendant.

RingThing

Rough_Rock
Love your pendant.....bezels are my absolute favorite.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Wow - amazing!!

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Circe, as someone in the early stages of learning about metal work, I'm really interested in this thread. Can I ask, would you post a photo of the back of the pendant? When he used a bur, did it remove metal, or just the gunk? If it's the latter, what can you do to stop it building up again, or does the metal work itself need just a little 'tweak' to solve the problem?

Thanks!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Luv2Sparkle, Amy, Crasru, Marcy, RingThing, CentralSquare!

Jen, will do! To explain further: the setting was cast, and the back of the piece was shaped to fit the stone exactly. So, unlike a more typical fabricated bezel where the wire stands away a bit, it's more sort of like a tube setting at the back, where it follows every contour of the stone. The problem was that it followed it too far down, given the optics of the stone, and interfered with light return once gunk got into the mix. So what he did was take the finest burr and grind away at the metal until the offending mm. was gone, and, voila! Light performance. I'm not sure if I have any "before" shots of the back, but I'll definitely snap a few "afters" this afternoon.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Has the cat forgiven you yet for the whisker? ME-OWWW.
Love the extra loop on top of the bezel.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Love your pendant, very unique! :love:

I always thought that when I save up enough for the diamond bezel pendant on my wish list, it would be a round stone. Now you've got me considering changing that to a pear!

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
:appl:

Looks awesome but be careful... with all that sparkle, you won't be the only person noticing your bosom! :bigsmile:

Bezels ARE fantastic! :love:

Cachette :))

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just had to post to tell you how much I love your pendant-it's so gorgeous! And thanks for the PSA!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love bezels! but sometimes it is a pain in rear to get them super clean, I have some bezel earrings, and I don't think my baby toothbrush is cutting.

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
Love your bezel pear! Of all the shapes in a bezel, I think the pear is my favorite---yours is just gorgeous!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
love, love, love this pendant!! wow, i would have never figured out why it wasn't performing, and just lived with the disappointment. so thank you for posting this!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
a diamond pendant is definitly on my christmas wish list this year! sooo pretty!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Texaskj - she never would! I save them when I come across them - if I were to dream of sullying her dignity in such a fashion, I'd find that all my shoes had been subjected to Feline Vengeance (i.e., vomit). V. flattered you noticed the loop! Initially, I'd thought to just loop the chain around it, but then I decided the versatility of being able to swap chains mattered more to me - am reassured to hear it doesn't look silly!

Stargurl - thank you! If you'd asked me a week ago, I would have shamefacedly said that while pears face up bigger, rounds are sparklier. Now? Well, see below .... :rodent:

Cachette - heheheheh, you have a point! I have to admit, I felt a little :oops: about the cleavage-y shot, but ... it's in a good cause!

Thing - thank you!

D&T - exactly. An open back is such a blessing for these things. My earrings are just baaaaaaaaaaarely open enough, but the pendant was another story. Very glad I had that checked out ....

Rainydaze, thanks! I was feeling like kind of a doof for wasting a year - figured eagle-eyed PSrs would have spotted it way before I did!

Christina, thank you!

Took a pic of the back below, and one of the front for good measure. Shiny! :geek:

Er ... P.S., ignore the file names - am too tired to edit, but as you might guess, a new thread is a'comin' (see "Jewelry Pieces" for preview, if you like :mrgreen: )

Turquoise necklace 011.jpg

Turquoise necklace 009.jpg

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Aha! Makes sense now! Thanks for posting the pics, I was struggling to understand where the burr was applied - I see now.

Thank you!

Just_Ducky

Rough_Rock
Wow, I love how simple and elegant your pendant is! SO beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results