shape
carat
color
clarity

Bezel or prong set for earrings?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I’m planning on 2+ ctw OEC earrings and was previously sold on doing a 6 prong setting but am now thinking maybe I’d like bezels instead. The diamonds will be L-M colored.

Opinions?

Last edited:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tough one! I’m partial to the 6 prong.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
@AprilBaby That’s where I’m leaning as well. Hard to make a choice when all the options are good.

ThiaChelf

Shiny_Rock
thats a tough one here too. I really like bezel set studs though.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A vote for bezels. I wear my bezel studs the most because I sleep in them and my hair doesn’t ever get caught. I also like the oomph the bezels give.
Cant wait to see yours!!

ThiaChelf

Shiny_Rock
A vote for bezels. I wear my bezel studs the most because I sleep in them and my hair doesn’t ever get caught. I also like the oomph the bezels give.
Cant wait to see yours!!

That was a benefit i didn't expect.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I just had my 1.25ct L-M OECs reset inti a bezel from the 6 prong setting they came in and I looove them. My previous studs were also bezels and I wore those for 6 years happily. I love how round they make the stone look, and a little milgrain on the bezel adds a vintage touch.

Edit: just realized you mentioned mine earlier, doh! Haha

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I also feel like the bezels are a little more comfortable and casual. I sleep in mine and wear them 24/7 and the bezel feels great for that

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
@elrohwen Yes! I saw your post and second guessed myself! They are gorgeous. Does it add size? I’m reading conflicting info online about bezels. I have big earlobes so they won’t look super large. But I’m not as interested in jewelry I can’t see while I’m wearing it, so I can’t justify spending more for bigger diamonds.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
It absolutely adds size! I don’t have calipers so it’s hard to say exactly how much, but at least 0.5mm total and mine are very delicate. I guess think about how prongs will stick out from the stone, then imagine wrapping them the whole way around.

Maybe this visual will help? These are my old 0.84ct studs that will go into a ring. With the bezel they look too big to go with the sapphire, but out of the bezels they are so much smaller. And with bigger stones than these the bezel kind of fades away on your ear so the stone looks bigger and you hardly notice the metal.
0177365C-BFE7-485A-89FC-F295D465E9F1.jpeg FF1F6D8A-406A-4DC9-AECF-ACD46696CC09.jpeg

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
It absolutely adds size! I don’t have calipers so it’s hard to say exactly how much, but at least 0.5mm total and mine are very delicate. I guess think about how prongs will stick out from the stone, then imagine wrapping them the whole way around.

Maybe this visual will help? These are my old 0.84ct studs that will go into a ring. With the bezel they look too big to go with the sapphire, but out of the bezels they are so much smaller. And with bigger stones than these the bezel kind of fades away on your ear so the stone looks bigger and you hardly notice the metal.
0177365C-BFE7-485A-89FC-F295D465E9F1.jpeg FF1F6D8A-406A-4DC9-AECF-ACD46696CC09.jpeg

That is nice. I’ve asked for a quote for bezel settings. I have no idea how much this should cost so hopefully it’s not crazy.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I prefer bezels for studs especially OEC. My second choice would be a 6 prong.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
That is nice. I’ve asked for a quote for bezel settings. I have no idea how much this should cost so hopefully it’s not crazy.

Mine were about $300 for the setting. So not that much considering they’re custom made to the stone.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Mine were about $300 for the setting. So not that much considering they’re custom made to the stone.

Oh shoot that’s way, way cheaper than I was expecting.

ThiaChelf

Shiny_Rock
I also feel like the bezels are a little more comfortable and casual. I sleep in mine and wear them 24/7 and the bezel feels great for that

Same. I feel like I don't get poked as often even if I sleep on my side.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Just my personal opinion, natch. I prefer yellow gold and like my metals to match. But I don't really like yellow gold earring prong settings because it seems to me you only see little bitty pieces of the yellow gold, which "interferes" with the stones, while white gold isn't nearly as noticeable. So I'd get white gold if I got a prong setting. But, to me, if it's a gold bezel all around, that's different and I like the look. I'd get yellow gold, if I got bezels.

Last edited:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I kind of prefer prong settings, just find them really classic. I like the “minimal metal” look. I also like being able to dress up my earrings with jackets!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
And then, if prong set, another question is how many prongs. Personally, I prefer four. Six seems to me to unnecessarily compete with the diamonds more than necessary. And I just don't care for the look of three prongs, though it seems very popular lately. To me, it makes the diamonds look triangular.

Bezels could be plain or some kind of design, like milgrain. Personally, I prefer plain.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My studs are bezel set, and they were made that way for me over 40y ago, and I did not have a say in the matter as I had not reached my teens at the time.

If I were to buy another pair of round studs, in real diamonds or otherwise, they would need to be 2cttw or bigger.

I would not mind having them prong set as the risk of damaging them is low and I have short hair.

More likely to be 4 rather than 6 prongs though, and set as low as possible.

DK :))

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Hi all, I’m waiting on a quote for both options and feedback from the jeweler. I might do bezels as I intend for this to be a wear every day kind of thing and I like low maintenance. But I do like a prongs too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results