Bezel or no bezel 5 stone EC

• Keep bezel

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Take off bezel add prongs

Votes: 33 75.0%

• Total voters

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
@Emeraldsaremyfavorite I very much do not think it will blend together, quite the opposite I think without bezel the emerald cut will take centre stage with the rest accentuating it. The other stones will help to draw the eye into the middle stone. So the difference between the stones will be obvious.

Also it is clear you are unhappy with the current setting so perhaps trying without bezels is a good way to know what you prefer, prevents you from that "oh I wish I didn't have bezel".....even if you hate it without bezel at least you will know for certain!

I am so glad to hear this is a good outlet, Nothing like good old retail therapy haha

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I did not mean to say that bezels are out of style, but that I was feeling that the bezels on your traps are on their way out.

Because the traps on your ring are relatively larger, I would un-bezel them too.

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I did not mean to say that bezels are out of style, but that I was feeling that the bezels on your traps are on their way out.

Because the traps on your ring are relatively larger, I would un-bezel them too.
Gotcha... heaven forbid I’m out of style:lol: was just double checking on that

Reactions: AV_

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted to remove the bezel around the traps... but I wouldn't add bullets. Sometimes more is just... more. Just my $0.02.

I agree with the poster that said you should have the traps angled (and maybe lowered) more to make the EC stand out. A solitaire is going to make the EC the true star in this ring. You could always add the traps to a RHR with a colored stone.

That said, if you like the bezel look, adding a fine bezel all the way around each stone would certainly define them.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Speaking of traps & bezels & proportions, I am finding some examples of relatively HUGE sides - as wide as the center & these are not small main stonrs:

Hancock's 5 cts five whites & FIY 5 cts 3 stone & one more all-white 5 stone

I wonder if attaching relatively the large sides to substantial centers is the style of the house or of the country... I keep seeing this done to large diamonds in British rings.

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@AV_ I have noticed rings like that as well. Somehow they look good but mine just didn’t look quite right. I’m going to go with the 5 stone setting. My last EC was flanked by 2 side traps and no bullets. So this time I’m going for a tad different. Probably after the holidays will send it back and I think I can get close to Leon’s with my current stones. I really do adore my EC and that’s where I spent the most money so I feel good about that!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I have no doubt about the AOP style,

& still have one more question: how do you feel about EW?

Every time I am seeing your avatar picture, my mind turns the EC 90°! The <《□》> seems to fit accross just right, with the traps fitting at a steep incline & visible just enough to imply that diamonds step around the finger etc.

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have no doubt about the AOP style,

& still have one more question: how do you feel about EW?

Every time I am seeing your avatar picture, my mind turns the EC 90°! The <《□》> seems to fit accross just right, with the traps fitting at a steep incline & visible just enough to imply that diamonds step around the finger etc.
Ha! You are too funny. I am way too traditional for E/W. I’m pretty confident my ring can look spectacular By just removing the bezels. My trapezoids are actually quite tapered, the shortest end is only 2.5 mm and the longest I think 6.2 mm. Thank you for your feedback as always though! I should be sending the ring off right after the holidays, I want to keep it so I can wear it during the holiday season:)

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m back! Was planning on sending the ring off after the holidays to have the bezels taken off, but now I’m wondering if my overall ring will look smaller, less wow factor if the traps are smaller. When I cover the bezels..: the traps do look a tad small. So hard to gauge and I don’t want to keep messing around Mark and re dos. Anyone know of a program where I can look at my current setting but just shade out the bezels? Just a thought since I’m having trouble visualizing. Thanks as always!!
C8BF416C-68E3-41E7-85F6-1400445EAB11.jpeg

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know I’m in the minority here, but I really like it as it is now.

BMI

Shiny_Rock
After reading through this thread, these are my thoughts. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Clearly you have spent a good amount of money on both this setting and all of the gorgeous diamonds in it.
You love the inspiration pictures of this style, but something is just "off" about yours.
You would prefer to tweak this setting if possible so that it makes you 100% happy when you look at it.

There are several things I noticed when looking at the rings that AV linked.
The emerald (or asscher) center stones all have tab prongs, not claw prongs like yours. I believe the extra metal and straight lines of the tab prongs help outline the shape of the center stone and have a sort of bezeling effect on the corners. This seems to make the bezels on the side stones flow more naturally out from the center stone in the inspiration pics.

From your pictures it appears that the bezeling around your traps comes up rather high above the stones' girdles. I originally thought the bezels were too thick, and perhaps they could be thinned a little, but I feel like what they really need is to be polished down at the top. And maybe IRL this is not the case, but your trap bezels look too prominent to me and I think this is why.

If my observations are accurate and I was in your shoes, the first thing I would do is ask Mark if he can change the prongs at this point from claws to tabs (almost the full length of the corners) and have him reduce the height (and perhaps thickness) of the trapezoid bezels. I'm certainly no expert, but I think both of those are doable changes from what I have learned over the years reading jewelry forums. :read: Hopefully these two small changes could have a big enough impact that you wouldn't feel the need to spend a great deal more money on a new setting.

Wishing you the best in whatever you decide.

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@BMI thank you so much for the insightful thoughts and taking the time to comment. You are absolutely right, something has just seemed off about the setting since the beginning. I looked at the prongs from the inspiration and they do look like claw prongs, I’m confused. One of the problems is, Mark made my ring exactly to scale with his inspiration, down to an inch of hair. So that’s why am feeling like I need to scratch this whole bezel idea , since it’s clearly not working with my specific diamond, and just go to the five stone setting. But I’m afraid that the trapezoids are a little small and I will lose that finger coverage. Unfortunately, it’s just not possible to visualize my current diamond with no bezels and just a trapezoids and prongs. But I will say my ring does look a lot prettier in person and the bezels don’t look as thick. I don’t know why it photographs and videos differently but it definitely does.

You are also right, I have put a lot of time and money into this ring so I’m driving myself crazy on trying to make it my dream ring. Thank you again! Here is a photo of Mark’s... I see claw prongs.
5049F32C-3112-4071-9518-E670665751AD.jpeg 5E834F49-A463-4C4F-9DE7-C9580F6FA0B4.jpeg

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Another video, maybe a better perspective on what it actually looks like in real life. Thank you very much, I’m just trying to make a decision and be done with this project.

BMI

Shiny_Rock
I know I’m in the minority here, but I really like it as it is now.
I totally agree with Austina after seeing your new video. I think IRL (or at least video) your center stone is definitely the star of the show. When I watched your video (many many times) the bezel lines around your traps actually drew my eyes straight up to your gorgeous emerald which I don't think they would as much if the traps were smaller N/S. In 2D super magnified pictures the bezels draw my eyes to the trap sides as an extension of the center stone, but that Is not the case when I see your ring in motion as it is IRL.

I had not seen an actual photo of your inspiration ring until today so when I mentioned tab prongs earlier I was referring to the rings that @av had linked to. I also was completely unaware of the history of your ring journey until today when I spent most of my free time reading through your past five or six threads. And based on what I read, I honestly am not convinced that resetting these stones in all prongs is going to create your "dream ring" either. And I fear it is just going to add even more stress and frustration to your life, which as another parent of a disabled child for almost 30 years, I know firsthand you do not need. You said yourself that your ring is beautiful and it made JOTW, so clearly others agree. However, with all of that said, I do have a possible idea for covering the bezels on your current setting to help you visualize what it might look like without them. Your skin tone looks to be similar to mine and I have used masking tape in the past to cover parts of rings so that they would blend in with my skin. If you cut thin strips of masking tape and cover the bezels (and don't look too closely) you may be able to get some idea of how the stones would look in all prongs. Hope that helps.

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@BMI wow, Thank you so much for the long reply and looking back at my journey. Yes, I really think this is the one thing I’m trying to make perfect and exactly what I want. Special needs children are a challenge every day, this is an outlet but a guilty one as well. You are right, there is no telling I will be completely happy if I change it. Great idea about the masking tape, or I could use Band-Aids that would be the same color of my skin as well. I do love my center stone, and it was obviously the most expensive part of this whole ring. So that’s a good thing! I will keep you updated and thank you again:)

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Another video, maybe a better perspective on what it actually looks like in real life. Thank you very much, I’m just trying to make a decision and be done with this project.

I’m just a fan of beautiful things, not an expert but I think in this video your center stone is definitely the star of the show! It’s beautiful and elegant and perfectly balanced imho. Obviously you have to love it but I think it’s stunning!!!!

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
2F1B54AB-BF33-44F8-AF77-40020D2BEA5E.jpeg F14FCB85-FF5B-4A35-93FF-725912367F95.jpeg
I’m just a fan of beautiful things, not an expert but I think in this video your center stone is definitely the star of the show! It’s beautiful and elegant and perfectly balanced imho. Obviously you have to love it but I think it’s stunning!!!!
Thank you so much!! I really appreciate the compliments, here is my attempt at covering the bezels:lol:

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
48B0340D-84A1-473E-B0D3-C19F6F378604.jpeg One more, I think I’m getting a good idea of no bezel and liking it! Going to have these ridiculous bandaids in the ring all day to give it some thought!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
The ring looks seriously different to me in these last shots: mainly, the EC looks wider because the sides do not blend into the traps, as they do in the avatar picture. Such a change!

Removing the bezels makes much better sense also.

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
FFA87759-7B37-4432-9C09-248BC64697B5.jpeg 247C6559-E583-4110-A075-8F92BA1C0E53.jpeg Definitely a “rough draft” With the Band-Aids, but at least we can get a look to see if that trapezoids are substantial enough without the bezel. Here’s a side-by-side comparison. I do lose some finger coverage

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@AV_ I think it was the closed fist that was making the main stone look more square, I think actually taking off the bezels makes the Emerald cut look longer and more like a true EC

AV_

Ideal_Rock
The bezels look bold - in a Brutalist sort of way.

Without bezels, it will be a classic.

I could look at this for ages!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I think actually taking off the bezels makes the Emerald cut look longer and more like a true EC

I agree.

-

Otherwise, regarding the EC's proportions,
I am noticing that in some positions the EC does appear narrower than it is. In fact, I had thought it is a relatively narrow one. Now that the latest shots showed it in a different light, it is clear to me that it is a narrow rim of reflections along the E & W sides that give this illusion - possibly just in 2D pictures... I would want larger sides for a long EC over L/W=1.5 but yours is not 'long'.

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree.

-

Otherwise, regarding the EC's proportions,
I am noticing that in some positions the EC does appear narrower than it is. In fact, I had thought it is a relatively narrow one. Now that the latest shots showed it in a different light, it is clear to me that it is a narrow rim of reflections along the E & W sides that give this illusion - possibly just in 2D pictures... I would want larger sides for a long EC over L/W=1.5 but yours is not 'long'.
Mine is 1:3 ratio. So you like larger side stones for longer ECs? I really want to add a band to my ring and it just didn’t look right with my current setting, too busy and “fussy.”

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I see bands stacked with anything & have survived... Used to think that one wears a ring or a band - possibly a very old school idea. I see this done sometimes (this is Spain & allot of things are 'old school')

So you like larger side stones for longer ECs?

It is not a rule. EC toward 2:1 L:W look like they need friends, or try to be a cross sideways on the finger --|---

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have officially decided to take the bezels off. @nala has actually inspired me to not overthink resetting so much=)2 I am going for this look now... hoping all my current diamonds will work. When I place a prong to the very end point of my trap- the side facing the EC, it matches the position of this one. So hoping they will look large enough without the bezel. They have to work! I’m not getting new ones. I truly appreciate you all for going through this journey with me and giving your honest feedback. My husband and friends think I have absolutely lost my mind! New Inspiration :
4EF0218B-9B35-4B71-A8F7-E65C6BE2D217.jpeg 38A21D67-A8EE-44A9-B811-E1A63C637053.jpeg
Side profile of mine to see how tapered traps are
FF57DFDC-5CF7-44F2-9C24-567CCD5861A0.jpeg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the update @Emeraldsaremyfavorite! I am so excited and can't wait to see your new ring...I think it is going to look beautiful! I am really hoping you love it!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted to remove the bezels. Your EC is a gorgeous diamond and will look great in any setting but I think it might standout more in a 5 stone prong setting.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so happy for you! I think you will love it!

BMI

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the update, I've been curious if you had made a decision! I think this new setting will showcase your beautiful diamonds perfectly, and being able to wear a band with it should more than make up for the loss in finger coverage without the bezels. Hoping it brings you great joy! =)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results