shape
carat
color
clarity

Bezel or Martini or... other? And thoughts on screw backs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 3:29:38 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 7/17/2009 3:23:56 PM
Author: geckodani

Date: 7/17/2009 3:19:27 PM

Do you mean tight on the ear, or just a tight fit with the back on the post? I''s confused.
9.gif
Mine are really comfy...

Gypsy, I understand about wanting the bezels. Like I said, I was really more musing than anything else! And a US is definitely in order. I know for a fact I can''t get my studs clean by hand like the US cleans them. Well worth the money, but get a good one!
Tight to the post. So much so that I was slightly tearing my holes trying to get them in and out! The posts are a wee thick though, which could be part of the problem. My martinis aren''t nearly so bad, but also don''t feel quite as secure.

I give up. LOL. And use plastic backs!!!
lol!

geck, are you grabbing hold of the diamond before pulling? I know this may sound like a stupid question, but if so, I don''t see how it could be that hard. And if so, yes, those earrings are too tight!
6.gif
37.gif

Um, yes. LOL. (Is there another way to take earrings out?
33.gif
) Seriously Ellen, getting the posts in and out of the backs is like waging a little war with my jewelry. You would think they were square posts and a round hole!!! DH tried one on and had the same problem, so it''s not just my madness! The little jerk as they came loose from the notch in the post is what was causing the problems. I''d pull them back to the groove, they''d catch, and then suddenly spring free with a jerk.

My martini''s have thinner posts, and I can use the heavy friction backs with them just fine.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/17/2009 3:37:52 PM
IDate: 7/17/2009 3:29:38 PM

33.gif
) Seriously Ellen, getting the posts in and out of the backs is like waging a little war with my jewelry. You would think they were square posts and a round hole!!! DH tried one on and had the same problem, so it''s not just my madness! The little jerk as they came loose from the notch in the post is what was causing the problems. I''d pull them back to the groove, they''d catch, and then suddenly spring free with a jerk..

Gecko -- it''s possible that the backs are just too tight for those posts. A good jeweler should be able to set you up with some backs that fit the posts correctly -- secure but not so tight that you have to fight them. (Truth be told, there''s a pawn shop near my office that always carries a huge selection of earring backs so that''s where I get mine. It makes all the difference to have earring backs that are comfortable and worry-free.)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy -- I''ve tried on earrings with the locking tension backs at a jeweler''s and I loved them! All the security of screw backs with none of the hassle!

I''m also torn between bezel set and prong-set studs, though not for the same reasons that you are. I fell in love with asschergrl''s WF bezels at the get-together and started planning to get a pair... and then I saw someone wearing a pair of prong-set beauties at a reception and fell in love with those! Admittedly they were larger than the bezel-set earrings, though not all that much larger. They weren''t martinis, but weren''t in one of those "elevated" baskets either. They were kind of like what Neatfreak described... all diamond, with kind of an infinity edge. SInce the owner was essentially a stranger I didn''t feel real comfortable asking her for specifics about her diamond earrings!

I know that''s no help to you whatsoever. Sorry about that.
7.gif
But... it is my way of saying that I''d really appreciate it if you could post some pics of NF''s earrings, if the two of you wouldn''t mind...
2.gif

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate my screwbacks! They are such a PITA to take off/put on. I pretty much leave them in the whole time except when I want
to clean them. Then after cleaning you pretty much get them all dirty again trying to hold them while you screw the backs back on.
I''m thinking about turning my studs into dangles off of huggies. I might start a thread about that to figure out if anyone has any
options on it.

I do like the bezel idea though!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do love me some bezels. Actually I would never get the martini setting again so that vote is easy for me! My smaller studs are screw backs and I agree they took awhile to get used to and actually really hurt at first. The sense of security is AWESOME though.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 3:37:52 PM

37.gif

33.gif
) Seriously Ellen, getting the posts in and out of the backs is like waging a little war with my jewelry. You would think they were square posts and a round hole!!! DH tried one on and had the same problem, so it''s not just my madness! The little jerk as they came loose from the notch in the post is what was causing the problems. I''d pull them back to the groove, they''d catch, and then suddenly spring free with a jerk.

My martini''s have thinner posts, and I can use the heavy friction backs with them just fine.
LOL!!
9.gif
I pictured you possibly(?) just tugging on the back without holding the diamond. I pretty much knew that could not be the case, but I also couldn''t imagine the back being that hard to get off if you were holding the diamond. Evidently, it is!
2.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 5:21:01 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I do love me some bezels. Actually I would never get the martini setting again so that vote is easy for me! My smaller studs are screw backs and I agree they took awhile to get used to and actually really hurt at first. The sense of security is AWESOME though.
How come you dislike them so much T?

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Gypsy, yep the 1 ctw just seemed to be a better size for me. Substantial and sparkly but not overly large. I love the look of small diamond studs too - for some reason, I tend to like them better when they''re 1 ctw or below. And I don''t have tiny earlobes so that''s not the reason - although for many ladies with small earlobes, I can see why they''d want smaller ones too. Anyway, I''m looking into getting my smaller pair bezeled for a different look. I have a martini solitaire pendant too so even though I don''t often wear them together, I kinda like that they match.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 5:28:06 PM
Date: 7/17/2009 5:21:01 PM

How come you dislike them so much T?

I feel like they irritate my holes and are stretching them out a bit. They honestly just aren''t comfortable to me and I don''t EVER sleep in them or wear them for *that* long at a time. I know lots of people love them but they aren''t for me.
1.gif
My dream would be set like Widget''s antique studs but I will settle for a thin, milgrained bezel.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 10:57:20 PM

I feel like they irritate my holes and are stretching them out a bit. They honestly just aren''t comfortable to me and I don''t EVER sleep in them or wear them for *that* long at a time. I know lots of people love them but they aren''t for me.
1.gif
My dream would be set like Widget''s antique studs but I will settle for a thin, milgrained bezel.
That sounds gorgeous, really!

Sorry the ''tini''s didn''t work out.
40.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2009 8:41:23 AM
Date: 7/17/2009 10:57:20 PM

1.gif
That sounds gorgeous, really!

Sorry the ''tini''s didn''t work out.
40.gif

No worries! Once I upgrade my studs to my "forever" size I will get my dream setting.
2.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/17/2009 2:51:47 AM
Author: Gypsy
Okay so NO on screw backs, I do have long hair and will for the forseeable future. SO yes on the heavy friction locking push-thingy Le-somethings (I do hope Lesley will be able to decifer that when I send her a note...lmao). And Missgotrocks, you are right, they WILL be insured.

Neatfreak, I heart you and I am so glad you are moving nearby. And I am going to take you up on the offer of trying on the martini''s to see how I feel about them. Tacori mentioned hers bug her too, which had me wondering. SHe let me try them on, and I could see what she meant. And your J''s and Asscher-girl''s J/K''s are what made me just feel totally fine with dropping in color and clarity and maxing out on size. I can''t wait till you get here. I''m bogged down in end of quarter crap at work till the 27th, but we''ll have to meet up so I can see the HOUSE (YAY FOR NEATFREAK''S HOUSE!)

Coda you are BRILLIANT. I am definitely going to see if I can do platinum posts and everything else in gold. BRILLIANT. Thank you,

I really love the look of bezels. I''ve seen quite a few pairs of them here at GTG''s and really just adore them. Asscher-girl''s pair makes my heart go pitter patter everytime I see them.

As for earring jackets. I don''t think I''m going to get pave jackets any time soon, and I actually liked KT''s bezels with the jackets anyway. I do want jackets, but I want Brian to make me matching ones to my pendant, as dangles. I''ve got it all planned out in my mind. LOL. He just doesn''t know it yet, poor guy. My husband doesn''t know either...poor, poor man.

Deco... I thought about those. But I want my future OEC''s where I can see them all the time. The only thing that bothers me about my pendant is that it''s around my neck
3.gif
, I''ve actually been wearing it as a pin just so I can look down and see it. So I''m thinking about a graduated 5 or 7 stone OEC RHR down the line. If Jon is planning on doing those in smaller sizes so that I can do that (otherwise Dimend Scassi''s rose cut band, if they will do half eternity really looks lovely), or if I find some nice transitionals or OEC''s on ebay or somewhere, I''m actually more of a transitional fan than a straight OEC fan in smaller sizes. I just want BRIGHT BEACONS on my ears... so yeah, I think I am set on the superidealcalifraglicexpialidocious for the studs. Plus my ears are pierced REALLY weird and I look terrible with most hoops or leverbacks on, so I can pretty much only do dangles or studs unless I want to re-pierce. As for when I go larger. Who knows, maybe I never will. I''d have to see them on my ears. But I think even in .75 each I''d want bezels if my tastes stay the same. I''m really digging the bezels. Though, I do totallly think Pheonix is right that they will cut back on the light return... so that conflicts a bit with the beacon thing. Hmm.

Todd excellent information, thank you so much, you are always so helpful in my threads! I really appreciate it.

Octbride... I saw yours.. lovely! Please let me know when you get them!

Thanks everyone... and please feel free to keep opinions/experiences coming this is really interesting cause I haven''t as a rule followed earring threads too much (except Pheonix''s, but I mean... come on!) so I don''t know much about them. I didn''t even know the heavy friction Le-P-something doo hickies existed.

I''m leaning 80% toward bezels. 20% toward something else (maybe just a classic four prong with basket... sally''s lotus baskets were gorgeous... hmm...baskets).
LOL!!

Btw, Gypsy, Leon told me that La Poussette backs are ready-made and they come complete with posts and they''re both in 18k WG, not platinum. Leon very kindly did the posts in platinum for me for free, but the backs are still in 18k WG, but that should be ok, since the backs don''t touch your ears. You might want to ask Lesley if she wouldn''t mind doing the posts for you also in platinum (as well as the heads). I''m sure she could. Just thought you might want to know.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, I like earring jackets on bezel studs better too.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW. This is a great thread fulll of so much information. Thanks so much everyone (Gecko, VR, Katie, Ellen, Pheonix, Tacori, etc...) I promise I'll come back and comment in detail later... I'm just having a bit of a bad 24 hours so, I want you to know I've read and thought about everything, and so very much appreciate all the time and effort you guys have put in, but I'm a bit wiped out today.

Been having bad bad bad nightmares for a couple of weeks and it's taking it's toll big time. And I swear for a couple of hours last night I lost my mind completely. Grandpa isn't getting better and I'm scared.

If we leave the house (which we will, I have to go to the hospital) I will try to stop by the place with the bezel studs and see what I think of the 1ctw and ask about different backs so I can see them in person.

Thank you so much my friends, again.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy - take care. My thoughts are with you.
biggyhug.gif

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/18/2009 10:44:03 PM
biggyhug.gif

Ditto. Take good care of yourself!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/18/2009 11:05:09 PM
Author: VRBeauty

Date: 7/18/2009 10:44:03 PM
biggyhug.gif

Ditto. Take good care of yourself!
thritto. take care Gypsy-

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much. Day didn''t get much better, but Grandpa seemed much more stable and ate dinner very well. I lost it again, this time at my aunt. I''m falling apart emotionally, and I don''t even know how to keep it together anymore.

I had to go to the jeweler for another reason, so I did stop by and did try on some studs, with and without bezel. I want bezels, 100% confirmed. And OMG, 1 ctw with bezels are going to be amazing I think. I may NOT need to upgrade ever. They might be just right. And if I want bigger or smaller, *sigh*... well, I guess I''d have to get a second set, what''s a girl to do.

Anyway, just drained right now. Throat is sore and eyes are swollen and stining from tantrums and crying fits and overall emotional insanity. So I''m going to try to just... I don''t know. I wish we had bought "Bolt" cause I could really stand some Mittens right now. Maybe I''ll put Wall E in and just veg while surfing.

HUGE HUGS BACK, and thanks ever so much for the understanding and support. This was supposed to be a bling thread. But.. well, Life intervene''s doesn''t it?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dear Gypsy...it is perfectly okay to come undone every now and again. Your grandfather is in my thoughts today. Take care of yourself. I know if you don''t J will so I am not too worried
2.gif

Yay for deciding on bezels! At least that is one decision made.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results