shape
carat
color
clarity

Bezel is turning yellow on my white gold ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
My ring is about a year old. I have heard that this happens with white gold, but what on earth can they do about it? Do they have to take the stone out to "paint" it, or whatever they do?

Should I have my setting re-made in platinum to avoid this? Ugh- so annoyed, am I gonna have to do this every year? Won''t it damage my setting?

ARGH!

icemyster

Shiny_Rock
Don''t worry...you can have the ring re-coated with Rhodium. It is a very simple and inexpensive process and most jewelry stores can do it. They don''t have to take the stone out.....it won''t damage your ring at all.
All that is happening is that the Rhodium is wearing off the ring as you wear it, and you are seeing the natural color of the white gold underneath. You will proabably have to have it do once a year or so.

Good luck!
1.gif

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
That''s the biggest complaint we hear with white gold especially in rings. With platinum you can have it polished to restore the finish quickly and have your ring cleaned and checked at the same time without leaving it. My vote is for platinum.

mymulan

Rough_Rock
Hi,

That happens to all my gold rings...
7.gif
One jeweler I go to charges me $10 to re-plate it with rhodium. Takes less than 10 mins. For rings I bought from him, it''s free...so you may want to go back to the jeweler you bought the ring from.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I say go platinum if you can...will the halo get in the way of repolishing or replating??

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Oh what a bummer, I am sorry to hear of your trouble. I would say if you can afford it to go platnium. If you do will you be having you wedding band made in plat too? Just a thought about total costs.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
What is the average cost of rebuffing and how often does it need to be done?

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
rebuffin platinum that is

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I have a question about rhodium plating: When a ring is replated multiple times, do the areas that are not worn build up with rhodium? I''m thinking in terms of detailed wordwork that gets painted over and over, and the detail gets filled in and is lost over time. Does that make sense?

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I have this same concern about my new white gold three stone ring. Will having pave' on the shank make it difficult to redo the finish?

jennalyns

Shiny_Rock
Mine did this after less than 6 months. Two of my other rings have turned too... I''ve read it depends on your skin chemistry how fast the rhodium needs to be done? You could get it rhodium plated, but you will have to do that at least once a year (for me it would have been more often), it depends on your skin. I live in Japan so it''s not 10 dollars to rhodium plate here- it''s closer to 100, and they send it away for two weeks, which would annoy me to do twice or three times a year. This is a BIG part of the reason we got my ring redone in platinum. I think in the long term the money we spent will be worth it.

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
It does depend on your body chemistry.
My rhodium plated jewelry lasts a long time before needing to be redipped (3-4 years).
I love the shiny-shiny look, I don't like the matte look my platinum rings acquire.

The rhodium will only cling to metal, not to diamond.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Mine has done this twice so far, or once a year. I don''t really fret about it, I just pay like 17 dollars and have it re-dipped in the rhodium. I didn''t want platinum so I have to do it this way. Doesn''t really upset me too much, although it is annoying to have to take it off for a day while they do it
20.gif

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
My husband''s aunt has a wedding set in white gold and she said it has never turned color, and she''s had it for 40 years. I remembering hearing that some white gold never turn color because of the type of alloy used in it. Is this true?

icemyster

Shiny_Rock
This might be useful for anyone reading to learn from this thread.....

Platinum vs White Gold
The pros and cons of each.

Platinum
Inch for inch heavier and denser metal
Scratches easier.
Wear~ability factor many times that of gold
Maintains it’s white color forever.
Price is 3x to 4x as much as gold.
Over time, long term maintenance on platinum involves visits for repolishing.

White Gold
Inch for inch lighter
Maintains it’s sheen longer than platinum
White gold wears thin over time and the shank may have to eventually be replaced
May eventually tinge to a very light yellow
Price is very inexpensive compared to platinum.
Over time, maintenance on white gold rings can include repolishing, replating (rhodium finish), and/or eventual replacement of shank.

Comments
When both are put in your hands you can feel the weight difference of the platinum.
After polishing white gold will look shinier for a longer time than platinum will.
50 years from now the platinum ring will be as thick as the day you bought it.
Over time the acids in your skin may cause the white gold to slightly tarnish causing it to change color
When considering the total cost of an engagement ring, the small amount more for platinum is deemed by many as insignificant in relation to the total cost.
Neither metal will always look new. Both need eventual maintenance one way or the other.

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
I like platinum for its high polished whiteness and the heft. However, I went through Wink Jones who has access to a nice cadre of benchmen because I wanted two tone white gold wedding rings. I have the Vatche RC with an 18kt shank/plat head, but didn''t want a platinum ring rubbing up against and wearing away at my 18kt shank. Sooo, I researched and learned that what I needed was the gold alloyed with palladium so that I would''nt have to worry about rhodium wearing away and the yellow tinge. Of course I couldn''t find a local jeweler who would use this alloy - they said too expensive and everyone just used nickel and then rhodiumed to get around the allergy issue. Having used Wink (hmmm that sounds weird doesn''t it?
6.gif
) we have gold rings alloyed with palladium. So I have no problems with yellowing, wearing or anything. The metal is obviously white against the yellow gold! I don''t have to do anything to maintain the whiteness. Hope that helps someone too!
Luv
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results