shape
carat
color
clarity

Best web site to look up current gold, platinum & palladium prices?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Best web site to look up current gold, platinum & palladium prices?

Thanks.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it is for jewelry quoting purposes remember that a lot more plat. is needed to make a ring than gold so the price can''t be compared directly in terms of jewelry.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all.

Do any of you wait till gold prices are down before you get any settings you need made? I'm getting a pendant set and I know gold prices are up right now. Is this very not smart to do?

Neat: Do you mean a setting might require "more" platinum than gold because platinum is denser?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2009 6:51:36 PM
Author: sonomacounty
Neat: Do you mean a setting might require ''more'' platinum than gold because platinum is denser?

Yes. It will require more and I think I remember Storm or someone saying it might be twice as much sometimes?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 6:20:49 AM
Author: neatfreak
Date: 2/24/2009 6:51:36 PM

Author: sonomacounty

Neat: Do you mean a setting might require 'more' platinum than gold because platinum is denser?
Yes. It will require more and I think I remember Storm or someone saying it might be twice as much sometimes?

Denser and also purer. Remember, gold jewelry is usually 18k-14k alloy, at 18k that is only 75% by weight in the ring while Pt alloys for jewelry are usually in the 95-90% by weight range.

EDT:
Rough calculation

18K WG: Au/Ni alloy:

Density (g/cm^3)
Au = 19.3 Ni = 8.9
Volume of Au = 58%

Pt90 : Pt/Ru alloy:

Density (g/cm^3)
Pt = 21.45 Ru = 12.45
Volume of Pt = 84%

So for 1 cm^3 ring, you will need 10.4g of gold but 18.0g of platinum.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results