shape
carat
color
clarity

Best web site to look up current gold, platinum & palladium prices?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Best web site to look up current gold, platinum & palladium prices?

Thanks.

If it is for jewelry quoting purposes remember that a lot more plat. is needed to make a ring than gold so the price can''t be compared directly in terms of jewelry.

Thanks all.

Do any of you wait till gold prices are down before you get any settings you need made? I'm getting a pendant set and I know gold prices are up right now. Is this very not smart to do?

Neat: Do you mean a setting might require "more" platinum than gold because platinum is denser?

Date: 2/24/2009 6:51:36 PM
Author: sonomacounty
Neat: Do you mean a setting might require ''more'' platinum than gold because platinum is denser?

Yes. It will require more and I think I remember Storm or someone saying it might be twice as much sometimes?

Date: 2/26/2009 6:20:49 AM
Author: neatfreak
Date: 2/24/2009 6:51:36 PM

Author: sonomacounty

Neat: Do you mean a setting might require 'more' platinum than gold because platinum is denser?
Yes. It will require more and I think I remember Storm or someone saying it might be twice as much sometimes?

Denser and also purer. Remember, gold jewelry is usually 18k-14k alloy, at 18k that is only 75% by weight in the ring while Pt alloys for jewelry are usually in the 95-90% by weight range.

EDT:
Rough calculation

18K WG: Au/Ni alloy:

Density (g/cm^3)
Au = 19.3 Ni = 8.9
Volume of Au = 58%

Pt90 : Pt/Ru alloy:

Density (g/cm^3)
Pt = 21.45 Ru = 12.45
Volume of Pt = 84%

So for 1 cm^3 ring, you will need 10.4g of gold but 18.0g of platinum.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP