shape
carat
color
clarity

best way to repro this art deco sugarloaf sapphire ring?

tinywilderness

Rough_Rock
Hello everybody,

I sure would appreciate some help here! What is the best process and who is the best person to reproduce this antique ring?

Here's a link to the ring: https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/rin...-sapphire-art-deco-platinum-ring/id-j_729882/

art_deco_fleur-de-lys_ring_0.jpg

Are there any infringement concerns when having an antique ring reproduced? If I could have the original designer make another, I would, but somehow I don't see that happening...

Here's my stone, it's an 8.75 carat unheated sugarloaf blue sapphire:

8_25.jpg

And here's the "certificate" that came with it when my boyfriend purchased it. Would have preferred GIA, etc., but it's a done deal already, and the stone really is gorgeous:

14756.gif

Right now, the stone is with a friend of my boyfriend who also does CAD jewelry design. He has not started work on the ring. I wanted to do more research on what's involved here because I want a ring that is as lovely as the stone, and solid enough to be in the family for a long time.

Thanks so much!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get the original one if you can because a custom setting is very expensive and making CAD adjustments requires patience, a very detailed eye, and experience in "reading" CADs.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you have the loose Sapphire sugarloaf already, I'd suggest checking in with Single Stone - https://www.singlestone.com/ - they do beautiful iterations of vintage-style settings with exquisitely crafted detail work. I would guess a Single Stone for this ring style with a ~10mm cabochon would be in the range of $4-8K but that is just a guess. If you like the work you see on the Single Stone website (and you can search PS for experience/product threads on Single Stone), shoot them an email and request a quote.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone tinywilderness! Love your idea!
You say the stone is already with your boyfriends friend who does CAD. Does that mean you would be willing to remove the stone from his service and on to another? Do you /bf have good enough relationship with the friend to productively "debate" his CAD designs for tweaking from his idea to your liking if necessasary? Does his bench - or he- produce the type of finished peice you want for yourself?
I agree with previous poster that CAD's can be very hard to read if you don't know how to interpret them, and you can't take anything for granted. Every move needs to be crystal clear on both sides.
But
I don't agree that you shouldn't proceed with a custom project if that is what you want to do. I'm going to assume if you really wanted the actual inspiration piece, you would have it. Many people here have enlisted the very generous others on here to help with the CAD tweakings, to help see what you don't see, think of what you have not thought of. Some others have had very good results by leaving the whole process,after showing inspirations, and trusting the fabricator- because they trust their style. Others have assumed too much and ended up with something they did not want/ do not love. I'm using the term assumed here lightly. Because of recent and not so recent posts here of cad miscommunications.......but still the outcome is sad.
Finding an existing original era setting to fit your stone might be a long stretch- but if I were you, I'd still cover my bases and reach out to JBG or LAD to tap into their knowledge of what is out there. They might be able to point you to an appropriate bench for a repro, as well.
Some will say to get a really finished peice- no roughness of unpolished cast/ stamped peices - it needs to be hand forged. No CAD will be done for hand forged - I believe.. Stamped and cast peices may not be able to be polished /finished as completely as some hand forged.
Single stone is a great suggestion to check out, as suggested.
Wherever you choose- make sure you have a total clear understanding of who is responsible for insurance on your stone whilst it is in their hands.
Best of luck- and I can't wait to see what you come up with.
Blue. Sapphire.sugarloaf. Sigh.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another thought, OP-
If you do choose CAD,
Search PS threads for "help with CAD" or something like that...
And read through them. I think you will find much information to help you........to see what they started out with- the suggestions and tweaks- the finished cad compared to the final product is amazing. The way the seasoned cad veterans just know what it all means is neat.....
But if that's the way you go- still come back and ask for help. I'm sure they'll pop up to help navigate.

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! Congrats, beautiful gem. Your vision for a ring really excites me, I hope you continue to post updates!

While not the artist to reproduce your example, you might check out the offerings of Sebastien Barier- his work is in similar style to your example and truly made as the antiques were. Should you decide to have him make your ring I recommend going through Jewels by Grace- she offers the best prices and will oversee the project for you. She can get any of his ring designs, not just the ones listed on her site.

sebastien_b.jpg

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That stone is just spectacular! :love: I think singlestone could make a beautiful setting for it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results