shape
carat
color
clarity

Best way to get trade value?

Jajabis

Rough_Rock
My mom is giving me a diamond that she has no attachment too.
What's the best way to get the biggest bang for your buck in a store credit towards a Engagement setting?

Is it worth 38 dollars to get a GIA e-report on this small of a diamond?

4.8mm round brilliant cut "guessing around a .40-.42 ct"

Clarity seems to be lacking inclusions "I can really see any with a jewelers loupe like i do with my Montana sapphire"
Color seems pretty colorless

This thing really sparkles. I believe it was a fairly expensive diamond from the story as it was a engagement ring diamond from a suiter that didn't pan out in the mid 70's.

I've gotten offers from 200-400 dollar's from stores. But the weird thing is, they are knocking 600-1,500 off settings.

I do understand that retail isn't what i'll get. I'll get below what they get it at at whole sale. But when someone offer's you 300 for a diamond, and is willing to knock 1,500 off a setting. Something seems wrong.

*Edit* I forgot to add, i have 15.88grams of 14k gold i'm also trading in with very small diamonds in the rings. Which they were giving me 200-300 for that.

Thanks for the help.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jajabis|1453224089|3977973 said:
My mom is giving me a diamond that she has no attachment too.
What's the best way to get the biggest bang for your buck in a store credit towards a Engagement setting?

Is it worth 38 dollars to get a GIA e-report on this small of a diamond?

4.8mm round brilliant cut "guessing around a .40-.42 ct"

Clarity seems to be lacking inclusions "I can really see any with a jewelers loupe like i do with my Montana sapphire"
Color seems pretty colorless

This thing really sparkles. I believe it was a fairly expensive diamond from the story as it was a engagement ring diamond from a suiter that didn't pan out in the mid 70's.

I've gotten offers from 200-400 dollar's from stores. But the weird thing is, they are knocking 600-1,500 off settings.

I do understand that retail isn't what i'll get. I'll get below what they get it at at whole sale. But when someone offer's you 300 for a diamond, and is willing to knock 1,500 off a setting. Something seems wrong.

*Edit* I forgot to add, i have 15.88grams of 14k gold i'm also trading in with very small diamonds in the rings. Which they were giving me 200-300 for that.

Thanks for the help.

A diamond's value is greatly dependent on the color and clarity grades, but untrained eyes cannot determine the grades.

A GIA report establishes the color and clarity grades.
This is the essential first step for understanding a diamond's value.
Add shipping cost to GIA and factor in the weeks it will wait in queue.

Jewelers are pros.
You and I are not.
They probably don't need the GIA report to know the grades.
You do.
Without the report you are at their mercy, which is not as you put it, "The best way to get trade value".

That said, even when sure of the grades that does not guarantee you'll get X for the diamond, though cut quality is a big unknown and I doubt GIA's $38 report will tell you much about cut.
But you can look up a range of what similar diamonds sell for on huge databases like bluenile.com.
Then you can insist on some percentage of that value ... perhaps 50 to 70%.

Even then this appears to be a complex 4-part deal, selling gold, selling diamond, buying new ring and buying new diamond.
Any businessperson is going to just raise their profit on part 4 of the deal if they appear to give you more for part 1 of the deal.

Though it would take more time, you might consider simplifying the deal.
Get the GIA report, sell the diamond on a site like www.loupetroop.com
Sell the scrap gold to the buyer who'll give you the highest price.
Then, with cash in your pocket shop for your diamond and ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results