shape
carat
color
clarity

Best way to clean jewelry containing both pearls & diamonds?

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I have several jewelry pieces that contain both pearls and diamonds next to each other. I'm slightly embarrassed to say that I've never cleaned them other than just wiping them with a special pearl cloth provided by the maker (Mikimoto.) I've never cleaned the diamonds in them!

Gosh I'd love to clean the wee diamonds as we all know diamonds are grease magnets! But how to do this without damaging the pearls?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I clean my pearls with bottled water (avoids chlorine and hard water minerals) and Dr. Bronner's Baby Unscented liquid soap. You can clean the item this way, and if you have a small brush (such as a GUM end tuft toothbrush, or an eyebrow brush, or one of the little flat brushes that come in jars of commercial jewelry cleaner) you can clean the diamond more closely.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I clean my pearls with bottled water (avoids chlorine and hard water minerals) and Dr. Bronner's Baby Unscented liquid soap. You can clean the item this way, and if you have a small brush (such as a GUM end tuft toothbrush, or an eyebrow brush, or one of the little flat brushes that come in jars of commercial jewelry cleaner) you can clean the diamond more closely.

Thanks! I hadn't thought of a tiny Gum cleaning brush before!

SapphireBomb

Shiny_Rock
Trade

I have several jewelry pieces that contain both pearls and diamonds next to each other. I'm slightly embarrassed to say that I've never cleaned them other than just wiping them with a special pearl cloth provided by the maker (Mikimoto.) I've never cleaned the diamonds in them!

Gosh I'd love to clean the wee diamonds as we all know diamonds are grease magnets! But how to do this without damaging the pearls?

Thank you all!!!
I’ve been wondering this for a long time but too afraid to ask!!!!!
Will be trying tomorrow.

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock

I was at the Mikimoto shop today. The SA said customers can bring their pieces back for cleaning every half year. I note that in your message, the maker is Mikimoto, so i guess you can bring them back for cleaning as they are professional.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I was at the Mikimoto shop today. The SA said customers can bring their pieces back for cleaning every half year. I note that in your message, the maker is Mikimoto, so i guess you can bring them back for cleaning as they are professional.

Thanks! This is helpful!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
There's also the little jar with the brush, jewelry cleaner designed for delicate jewelry like pearls, opals etc., under various brand names. That seems easiest and I'd think cleans the diamonds well too but I haven't tried it myself.

ETA: I just did a quick search of them on Amazon and couldn't find any with the ingredients listed.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
No problem. I was in store to check this one out. Too bad they are clip on, which I am sure they will hurt my ears.

you must channel your inner Princess Margret with those clip ons

or get them converted ?

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
you must channel your inner Princess Margret with those clip ons

or get them converted ?

The SA wasn’t too keen to assist. That particular style was not available in store and I asked him to track a pair for me, he wasn’t too helpful. I was a bit surprised by his attitude. Maybe he thinks I couldn’t afford.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results