shape
carat
color
clarity

best value for $5000

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
what's wrong with a J ?? :confused: if he could get a noticeably bigger size diamond i would go for the J 1.13ct that is a GIA triple EX vs. the I color with a VG in symmetry. but to each his/her own!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
frankiextah|1356219357|3338258 said:
what's wrong with a J ?? :confused: if he could get a noticeably bigger size diamond i would go for the J 1.13ct that is a GIA triple EX vs. the I color with a VG in symmetry. but to each his/her own!

oh i dont think the is anything wrong with a J, I dont think there is for my taste at all, i just said an I is "safer"... all i mean by that is that we dont know how color sensitive the recipient is. the closer to white the less chance she has of being bothered by tint, if she is a person that might be.

And as for the VG symm, thats why i had the caveat of if the idealscope comes back good.... The J might be the best choice I would just feel better about recommending a stone thats a J to someone who has seen and accepted a J in color, thats all. :))

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
frankiextah|1356219357|3338258 said:

I to would go for the J if it is a winner as well. Color is a personal thing for sure. Most stones you see at jewelry stores Kays etc. will be J or lower. Ofcourse an ideal J cut diamond will face up beautiful when compared to those stones. I think all to often we discourage buying a J colored diamond and I am not really sure why that is when for most people it will be just fine. I personally have compared a loose I AGS diamond and a J GIA diamond and could not tell the difference face up or face down. J is in the near colorless catagory and it is a wonderful value for someone on a budget. Here is a video from GOG comparing diamond colors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vI3Tkd3VQU

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There was a post recently that a guy bought his SO a ring i a G color and she wanted to return it because she could see the color. All I am saying is that though it maybe be appropriate for you or me because have seen them and know our eyes cant see the tint, we dont know about the OP's girlfriend. She may be color sensitive. Yes I would rather have a 1.13 J than a 1ct I, but not everyone would. Its just something to consider when trying to buy an engagement ring if your SO hasnt done a lot of color research.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, as I said color is a personal thing. If the J is a better performer that would be my choice. With that said I would also purpose within the return window; which JA has a great one. That way if she is not happy with the color it is easily returned. With my experience looking at diamonds to my eyes I believe that GIA is more strict with color than AGS.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
farmer gal|1356273095|3338504 said:
Yes, as I said color is a personal thing. If the J is a better performer that would be my choice. With that said I would also purpose within the return window; which JA has a great one. That way if she is not happy with the color it is easily returned. With my experience looking at diamonds to my eyes I believe that GIA is more strict with color than AGS.

Ive heard that as well :read:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I too agree on GIA versus AGS on color.

Color is such a personal preference. I just recently acquired a 2.1 ct transitional cut .. it is beautiful but it is a EGL USA I ... which turns out to be too warm for me as an e-ring replacement but great as a RHR.

albela

Rough_Rock
another newbie question, if i get the basic setting now is it easy to upgrade that in a year or so? or should i optimize on setting now?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're going to wear it for a year I would at least get a slightly nice one. Like that Lucida type one for 350. Or if the approx 700 ones or in the budget that would be nice because she is going to be wearing it and showing it off. The extra cheap $180 one is usually for people who want to propose with something and then have her pick out her setting right after the proposal.
You dont have to spend 1-3k on a setting right now. But i would get something nice. With a wedding and all the things that come with starting a fam, you might end up not being able to upgrade the setting as fast as you would hope

lapelirroja

Shiny_Rock
I have an AGS ideal J and am so happy we went with it! Allowed me to maximize size, and as I went for a top of the line cut (Whiteflash A Cut Above AGS 000), I have rarely, if ever noted any hint of color. Just fire! I was not willing to compromise on inclusions (some you can DEFINITELY see) so went for a J VS2 which I think is a great compromise when size is of great importance.

albela

Rough_Rock
I got the gemologist info from James Allen (below). Any opinions/concerns, or I should accept their opinion as is? Also any recommendation for settings - in particular is platinum necessary or shall I go with white gold and save money?

You'll be happy to know that diamond 1544223 (1.01crt I VS2) has great fire, brilliance, and scintillation; which balances nicely throughout the diamond. It's completely eye clean and you will not be able to see its inclusions from any angle. Lastly, it has a true "I" color which you should view as perfectly white. This diamond is our gemologist's favorite and is the one I recommend purchasing the most.

Diamond 1402644 (1.13crt J VS2) offers great light performance, which is comparable to diamond 1544223. It's also eye clean a you'll need magnification to find any inclusions in this diamond from any angle. It has a very high "J" color and only the eye of a gemologist would be able to see it as slightly warmer than diamond 1544223. This diamond is also a great option and is a close second in the eyes of the gemologist!

Diamond 1523999 (1.02crt J VS1) also has great light performance but isn't quite as lively as your other selections. It's also completely eye clean and you won't be able to find inclusions from any angle. It has a lower "J" color so you may or may not see a little more warmth in its color when comparing it to your other options.

You can't go wrong with any of these diamonds since all of them are exceptionally bright and impeccably clean. I strongly encourage you to purchase diamond 1544223 since our gemologist found it to be the best option in their eyes. Whichever diamond you go with, I'm confident that you'll find it to look beautiful in any setting.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what were the costs of the I and the J 1.13??

ETA did they give you idealscope images?

And if you picked the I or High color j, what would you budget be left for the setting?

albela

Rough_Rock
The I is about 5300 after ps/wire discounts, the J is about 5600 (as its bigger).

The budget, that i have already exceeded, was 5000 for diamond and 500 for setting, but i can spend a bit more for the right option.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results