shape
carat
color
clarity

Best ultrasonic cleaner to get?

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, I happened to click the wrong forum link and read this thread about the dirtiest jewelry ever encountered. Now that I have finished throwing up in my own mouth, can you all PLEASE share what the best ultrasonic jewelry cleaners are?

Ideally they would be from an online store with worldwide shipping.

Please include tips as well for jewelry cleaning, like what you secretly add to the liquid when you pop your diamond jewelry in

Are ultrasonic cleaners good for watches too?

Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot of us bought one from Sharper Image before they went out of business. Dave Atlas used to sell the GemOro Sparkle Spa which was the other option I recall people buying. Here is one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Sparkle-Spa-Ultrasonic-SPECIAL-PRICE/dp/B001G42OEO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=arts-crafts&qid=1309352149&sr=8-3

And NO, definitely do not put a watch in an ultrasonic!

Many people use a combination of a drop or two of dishwashing liquid and a squirt of Windex added to hot water to clean. Mine came with a bottle of jewelry cleaner so I will use that until it runs out.

CushionCutie

Rough_Rock
I didn't know there were home ultrasonic cleaners! How long are you supposed to leave the jewelry in? Won't the vibrations cause the diamond to eat away at the prongs?

And erm.. I looked up that thread you were talking about... *barf* lol

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the ones that are made in the U.S. or Europe with a S/S tank.

q78x.jpg

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1309352432|2957861 said:
A lot of us bought one from Sharper Image before they went out of business. Dave Atlas used to sell the GemOro Sparkle Spa which was the other option I recall people buying. Here is one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Sparkle-Spa-Ultrasonic-SPECIAL-PRICE/dp/B001G42OEO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=arts-crafts&qid=1309352149&sr=8-3

Many people use a combination of a drop or two of dishwashing liquid and a squirt of Windex added to hot water to clean. Mine came with a bottle of jewelry cleaner so I will use that until it runs out.

I have a question...awhile back I saw a thread that said NOT to use windex on your WG no matter you tells you it's ok. My jewler though, actually suggested that I use windex and so I have been. Now, I've tried to go back and find that thread and I can't find it...go figure. Do you remember hearing anything about this? Also isn't ultrasonic pretty mean business on pave?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christina...|1309376154|2958244 said:

I have a question...awhile back I saw a thread that said NOT to use windex on your WG no matter you tells you it's ok. My jewler though, actually suggested that I use windex and so I have been. Now, I've tried to go back and find that thread and I can't find it...go figure. Do you remember hearing anything about this? Also isn't ultrasonic pretty mean business on pave?

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/advice-given-by-jewelry-store-to-clean-my-diamond-ring.155495/?hilit=chlorine']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/advice-given-by-jewelry-store-to-clean-my-diamond-ring.155495/?hilit=chlorine[/URL]

Pave - if I'm going to lose it I prefer to do so in my US than on the road somewhere, where I will at least notice and can launch an immediate rescue mission, so I will happily ultrasonic away 8)

On simpler pieces my GemOro sparkle spa doesn't do the job half as well as a baby toothbrush and a drop of dishsoap in warm water, and a microfibre cloth and a scrunched up corner of a paper towel to dry. On pieces with lots of diamonds, lots of little crevices it's a fantastic tool! I use it to clean sterling too - just put a few chips of anti-tarnish stuff in and let them soak for a couple of hours, the sparkle spa has a metal tub so that's okay.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christina, I only use windex on platinum. Ammonia is not good for white gold.

Dancing Fire, I am not willing to buy a professional model that is SO much larger. They take up way too much space!

skphotoimages

Shiny_Rock
First I'd love to read that thread about dirty jewelry.
I have a stainless steel tub Gemoro home one. But agree with above poster, I do beeter often with a baby toothbrush and dawn dish soap. And above ALL else I love and depend on my jewel jet to make my ring SHINE.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1309386000|2958376 said:

Dancing Fire, I am not willing to buy a professional model that is SO much larger. They take up way too much space!

what i don't understand about PSers is that you guys are willing spent thousands and thousands of $$$ on jewelry but yet when it comes to buying a US you guys go the cheap route... :confused: i told you guys many years ago that them plastic POS will crack within a yr,and i was right :praise: all those Shaper Image US are now in the garbage.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
I think the issue is that benchspace is at a premium. I wouldn't have anywhere to place that US setup of yours the rest of the time that i don't use it. Seriously that thread makes me lose my lunch - i can't believe black crud with a foul reeking smell can come off of off off... <bleargh> Sigh. I've went and thrown up a little in my mouth again.

My problem is I live where mains power is 240V so I am guessing all the plastic US on amazon would short circuit the moment I plug them in... Need an alternative.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
is an ultrasonic cleaner better than a jewel jet/steam cleaner?

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1309384205|2958360 said:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/advice-given-by-jewelry-store-to-clean-my-diamond-ring.155495/?hilit=chlorine']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/advice-given-by-jewelry-store-to-clean-my-diamond-ring.155495/?hilit=chlorine[/URL]

Pave - if I'm going to lose it I prefer to do so in my US than on the road somewhere, where I will at least notice and can launch an immediate rescue mission, so I will happily ultrasonic away 8)

On simpler pieces my GemOro sparkle spa doesn't do the job half as well as a baby toothbrush and a drop of dishsoap in warm water, and a microfibre cloth and a scrunched up corner of a paper towel to dry. On pieces with lots of diamonds, lots of little crevices it's a fantastic tool! I use it to clean sterling too - just put a few chips of anti-tarnish stuff in and let them soak for a couple of hours, the sparkle spa has a metal tub so that's okay.

Yssie there is a little search engine inside of you isn't there?? :Up_to_something: I don't know how you do it, but thanks again for all the information! I agree with the US, if I'm going to lose one I'd rather it end up in the basket ready to go to the jewelers than lost in space somewhere. ;( There is nothing more horrifying than to look down and see a missing stone! :o

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1309396215|2958566 said:

what i don't understand about PSers is that you guys are willing spent thousands and thousands of $$$ on jewelry but yet when it comes to buying a US you guys go the cheap route... :confused: i told you guys many years ago that them plastic POS will crack within a yr,and i was right :praise: all those Shaper Image US are now in the garbage.

Not mine, DF. Still works like a charm :bigsmile:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually just soak my jewelry in the pink stuff or a windex / purified water mix. I have a jewel jet that I dig out on weekends.

I have bought and thrown out about 4 plastic US and one metal US because they started leaking or cracked. I also had a few channel set diamonds come loose from cleaning them every day.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
slg47|1309398875|2958599 said:
is an ultrasonic cleaner better than a jewel jet/steam cleaner?
jewel jet works good if your ring aren't that dirty.it takes about 2 mins to warm up.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
isaku5|1309400844|2958624 said:

Not mine, DF. Still works like a charm :bigsmile:

should explode any day now... :tongue:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marcy|1309404485|2958691 said:
I actually just soak my jewelry in the pink stuff or a windex / purified water mix. I have a jewel jet that I dig out on weekends.

I have bought and thrown out about 4 plastic US and one metal US because they started leaking or cracked. I also had a few channel set diamonds come loose from cleaning them every day.

now you see what i meant by those plastic POS ?? ...if you had purchased an american made US in the first place it'll still be working today,and end up costing you less $$$.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I bought a cheapie from Amazon, and it does its job well (especially if I use hot water). Maybe not the best, but it's not bad. I think it was called the Sonic Wave.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what i don't understand about PSers is that you guys are willing spent thousands and thousands of $$$ on jewelry but yet when it comes to buying a US you guys go the cheap route... :confused: .

DUDE!
That's why we're broke. ;(

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Where is this dirty thread? This is the 2nd reference I've read about it. I must see it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha! Mine Sharper Image still works, too, but I didn't buy it with high expectations that it would last forever! I just wasn't willing to buy anything larger in size.

Seriously, though, Tristan, if she soaks the ring every couple of days in hot water, a drop of dishwashing liquid, and a little Windex if the ring is platinum, and then brush with a soft baby toothbrush, it will never collect grime on it. I honestly don't clean mine more than once a week because ideal cut diamonds look pretty good whether they are spotless or not! And a lot of the time I use one of those small jars of jewelry cleaner where put your rings in the little basket and let them soak in the jar and then rinse with hot water.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock

Tried windex one time and it stripped the rhodium off in one shot. A dollop of Mr Clean is what I use.

ETA- I really love my professional strength Crest US. I love that I can clean watches and gun parts in it too.

I have a $50 one from brookstone... I know it didn't get the best reviews but I love it and have had great luck with it.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL, Kenny!

The brands I tried were Sharper Image, Connoisseurs, Blitz and one i bought from Zales.

mehdiel10

Rough_Rock
I think you should Try this]ultrasonic cleaner

http://www.ankaka.com/durable-and-s...azors-denture-watches-glasses-etc_p49456.html

it's really good and cheap see also some highlights ;
High frequency vibration stimulates the transducer and generates 42,000Hz of ultrasonic wave
Low noise: less than 60 decibels
Can add sanitizer or detergent to enhance cleaning effect
Exceptional damage resistance to drops: remains intact after being dropped from a place up to 2 meters high
Widely applied in many fields, such as laboratory, glasses shop, jewelry shop, beauty salon, office, family, hospital dentistry etc
Free CD holder and watch stand are included.

Good Luck

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results