carat
color
clarity

Best Purchase of 2014

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamondbug|1418967102|3804061 said:
Best purchase was our tornado shelter. It was a must after the horrible tornadoes last year.
Best money spent was a 6 wk visit with family back home during summer. The kids had a blast getting to know their grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins.

Can't put a price on safety, no?

The first year I did this thread Enerchi posted she bought winter tires for her son's car--and I totally agreed BEST purchase! And I would agree a tornado shelter would be a up there with "bests". Of travel and fun is also another thing one can't put a price one!

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1418973625|3804087 said:
The surgery for our little kitty -- she is so full of energy!

Close second is (hopefully) the money we paid our tax guy to do all of the paperwork to set up our company. I say hopefully because it is a really great thing if the business works out and just a waste of money if it doesn't.

And I am sure your cat agrees with you too!! :appl:

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB621|1418985699|3804116 said:
Spent money spent this year was on traveling. We have shown our children 9 different countries and while they might not remember most of it I still want to give them the experiences that I always dreamed about.

On another note the other best money spent was for a organization called NEGU which sends out joy jars to kids battling cancer.

I agree with you and others, that travelling is up there for "bests" . The education invaluable--and the FOOD! :lickout:

cheers--Shaorn

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1418990975|3804129 said:
An extra large donation to our favorite animal charities this year. I didn't really want anything (not working and there is nothing sparkly that caught my eye as of yet this year) so we used that extra money we would have spent on gifts for each other and added it to the usual amount of money we donate.

Sharon, glad your son had a great experience and that was very generous of you to do that for him.

Love reading all the lovely responses here. :appl:

Thanks Missy--I like hearing about others "bests" also. And your donations are those wonderful gifts that keep on giving--community investments are what make the world go 'round, yanno? :wavey:

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asscherhalo_lover|1419001817|3804181 said:
I went in on a house rental with a bunch of my friends and our spouses for a serious birthday celebration in upstate NY. It was so much fun to all be able to party and cook together in this gigantic Victorian house and no one have to drive home!

What a FUN idea!!! :appl: Great memories!

cheers--Sharon

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
canuk-gal|1419008492|3804240 said:
Wink|1418965735|3804049 said:
A bottle of his favorite booze for a dear friend. I met him at the airport when he came to visit and we treasured a small sip of it prior to our drive to my home.

Then we stayed up for another before saying good night.

I shall always treasure that first hour of his visit.

Wink

I think having a drink with you would be great fun! Good friends rule! :appl:

cheers--Sharon

Any time my friend. Let me know any time you are coming to Boise and I will gladly meet you for a drink.

Wink

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wink|1419009688|3804256 said:
canuk-gal|1419008492|3804240 said:
Wink|1418965735|3804049 said:
A bottle of his favorite booze for a dear friend. I met him at the airport when he came to visit and we treasured a small sip of it prior to our drive to my home.

Then we stayed up for another before saying good night.

I shall always treasure that first hour of his visit.

Wink

I think having a drink with you would be great fun! Good friends rule! :appl:

cheers--Sharon

Any time my friend. Let me know any time you are coming to Boise and I will gladly meet you for a drink.
Wink

Multiple I hope! :rodent: :lol: :wavey:

cheers--Sharon

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1418959915|3804004 said:
ame|1418959303|3803997 said:
canuk-gal said:
ame|1418937577|3803797 said:
My brand new 2015 Subaru Outback Limited with all the gizmos and gadgets. I just picked it up last week from the dealership after we had it built to order and waited 10 LONG weeks. I didn't plan on a new car for at least another year, but the accident kinda changed that plan. It's snazzy! It's like a spaceship!

Gorgeous car! Memorable 2014 purchase!

cheers--Sharon
thanks! I am going to count the basement as next year. It's not done yet lol!

I think the system we installed would be last year...

I wanted to ask what "color" your car is. Blue? In the (night) overhead light, it appears to have a purple hue (lordy, did I say that out loud?) Regardless, it's sweet.

cheers--Sharon
Thank you! It's actually called CARBIDE GRAY, dark gray metallic. In some lights it actually looks blue/navy, and in some it has a purplish tone. In most it's just a nice crisp dark gray.

I have had 6 silver cars in a row, (no joke, I seriously always got silver!) and almost did it again. Really I wanted navy this time but the blues were either a light wedgewood or a pretty bright lapis cobalt and it was a little brighter than I wanted. DH has a car that same color and while it was beautiful, we both REALLY liked this and the silver when we saw more photos of them. He thought it was really sharp. They had this color in another model on the lot and he said he liked this even more than the silver. We for some reason feel like gray/silver shows less funk than others. I start off doing a really great job washing them but then I suck at it lol!

He cannot stop staring at it. He said he's absolutely impressed.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hate to think of it as a *purchase* ... but I guess it would meet the technical definition: OUR TWO NEW DOGS!

For better & worse, 2014 has been Year Of The Dog for us. We lost our beloved 12-year old princess pup in February. Adopted a new male puppy in May. And just welcomed a 2 year old female rescue right after Thanksgiving. They are the best Xmas present I could ask for after some very dark times early this year.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1419008423|3804239 said:
Gypsy|1418963907|3804036 said:
Kitty Meds. Any and all.
Vintage chairs off craigslist that MAGICALLY MATCH DH's grandmother's (now our) mid-century dining set.
Cowhide rug

Gyspy--how on earth did you find matching chairs?? Total score! Thanks for sharing, all choices are fabu!

cheers--Sharon
Hi Sharon,
Just freaking luck. The set from his grandmother came with 4 chairs. And that was just never enough. So I was looking for a set of 6 or 8 vintage chairs to match the table, thinking to maybe sell the original 4, and BAM, one of the ads on craigslist was for 5 chairs that were an exact match to the ones I had. :-o

Only problem was, I didn't have a way to get them to my house. Guy offered to deliver but was concerned about delivering them sight unseen to me. So I sent him pictures of my own chairs and said, "Not buying sight unseen, have 4 of them myself. Trust me, these were meant to be mine."

And they are now! It was pretty neat.

FYI. If you have cats, highly recommend cowhide rugs.

This is a fantastic thread. Thank you for starting it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1419011868|3804277 said:
I hate to think of it as a *purchase* ... but I guess it would meet the technical definition: OUR TWO NEW DOGS!

For better & worse, 2014 has been Year Of The Dog for us. We lost our beloved 12-year old princess pup in February. Adopted a new male puppy in May. And just welcomed a 2 year old female rescue right after Thanksgiving. They are the best Xmas present I could ask for after some very dark times early this year.

Awww Deco. I am so happy to hear about the new additions to your family. Do you mind posting some pics of your new dogs.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1419011046|3804273 said:
canuk-gal said:
My brand new 2015 Subaru Outback Limited with all the gizmos and gadgets. I just picked it up last week from the dealership after we had it built to order and waited 10 LONG weeks. I didn't plan on a new car for at least another year, but the accident kinda changed that plan. It's snazzy! It's like a spaceship!

cheers--Sharon

I wanted to ask what "color" your car is. Blue? In the (night) overhead light, it appears to have a purple hue (lordy, did I say that out loud?) Regardless, it's sweet.

cheers--Sharon
Thank you! It's actually called CARBIDE GRAY, dark gray metallic. In some lights it actually looks blue/navy, and in some it has a purplish tone. In most it's just a nice crisp dark gray.

I have had 6 silver cars in a row, (no joke, I seriously always got silver!) and almost did it again. Really I wanted navy this time but the blues were either a light wedgewood or a pretty bright lapis cobalt and it was a little brighter than I wanted. DH has a car that same color and while it was beautiful, we both REALLY liked this and the silver when we saw more photos of them. He thought it was really sharp. They had this color in another model on the lot and he said he liked this even more than the silver. We for some reason feel like gray/silver shows less funk than others. I start off doing a really great job washing them but then I suck at it lol!

HA! We, (by default I think) are also silver car folks. I am actually tired of it--but I have no patience for special orders, so our take away cars are ALWAYS silver!

That said, are not all silvers different? Needed a door dent recently repaired and the "official" Acura paint guys said Acura's silver is TOUGH to get perfect. He did.

cheers--Sharon

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What a wonderful thing for the year! I'm sorry you lost your sweet princess, but am glad you have two additional furry family members to love and enjoy.

Have you posted pictures of them somewhere? I'd love to see them if you're comfortable posting :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are also silver car people! My current one is a metallic gray (dark platinum), son has a silver mustang, and both daughters have silver Toyota Corolla's! Hubby drives a black Porsche, though!

Our best purchase or expenditure is college tuition for our youngest child! The school is perfect for her and she is SO happy! My bling budget is limited due to this, but it is well worth it for 4 years!

My best jewelry acquisitions this year were my Victor Canera 18" platinum necklace for my Beaudry small cross and my 36" platinum DBTY necklace from WhiteFlash! Love them both!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1419015104|3804302 said:
ame|1419011046|3804273 said:
canuk-gal said:

cheers--Sharon

cheers--Sharon

HA! We, (by default I think) are also silver car folks. I am actually tired of it--but I have no patience for special orders, so our take away cars are ALWAYS silver!

That said, are not all silvers different? Needed a door dent recently repaired and the "official" Acura paint guys said Acura's silver is TOUGH to get perfect. He did.

cheers--Sharon
They are definitely different! I liked the Honda silvers much more than the Nissan one. This was my first special order. I did like the Subaru silver a LOT but ultimately this Carbide Gray won.

diamondseeker2006|1419018082|3804332 said:
We are also silver car people! My current one is a metallic gray (dark platinum), son has a silver mustang, and both daughters have silver Toyota Corolla's! Hubby drives a black Porsche, though!

Our best purchase or expenditure is college tuition for our youngest child! The school is perfect for her and she is SO happy! My bling budget is limited due to this, but it is well worth it for 4 years!

My best jewelry acquisitions this year were my Victor Canera 18" platinum necklace for my Beaudry small cross and my 36" platinum DBTY necklace from WhiteFlash! Love them both!
How funny. Maybe I like silver bec it reminds me of diamonds...

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Gypsy & Too Patient,

It's been so long since I've uploaded a photo I'm not sure this will work but ... hey, I tried!

img_1769_-_version_2_copy.jpg

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
photo_3_81.jpg grannystorsade.jpg

my "Tornado"

I used my grandmothers old akoyas and had Hisano revamp them into this necklace that I wore on my wedding. That way I had a piece of her there!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Deco:

You don't post often but when you do you say a lot. Your post brought tears and smiles.

Your new pooches look like really wonderful little angels (looking up :saint: ) that provide you with light. Thank you for sharing them here. Post a 1,000 more pics of them!

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ckrickett|1419026510|3804408 said:
photo_3_81.jpg grannystorsade.jpg

my "Tornado"

I used my grandmothers old akoyas and had Hisano revamp them into this necklace that I wore on my wedding. That way I had a piece of her there!

I recall this necklace from the pearl forum. It is so beautiful in so many ways--great choice for your 2014 best purchase!

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1419018082|3804332 said:

DS--great contribution about your 2014 picks!

The silver car thingie is funny--those marketers got it right! :lol:

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1419013013|3804292 said:
canuk-gal|1419008423|3804239 said:
Gypsy|1418963907|3804036 said:
Kitty Meds. Any and all.
Vintage chairs off craigslist that MAGICALLY MATCH DH's grandmother's (now our) mid-century dining set.
Cowhide rug

Gyspy--how on earth did you find matching chairs?? Total score! Thanks for sharing, all choices are fabu!

cheers--Sharon
Hi Sharon,
Just freaking luck. The set from his grandmother came with 4 chairs. And that was just never enough. So I was looking for a set of 6 or 8 vintage chairs to match the table, thinking to maybe sell the original 4, and BAM, one of the ads on craigslist was for 5 chairs that were an exact match to the ones I had. :-o

Only problem was, I didn't have a way to get them to my house. Guy offered to deliver but was concerned about delivering them sight unseen to me. So I sent him pictures of my own chairs and said, "Not buying sight unseen, have 4 of them myself. Trust me, these were meant to be mine."

And they are now! It was pretty neat.

FYI. If you have cats, highly recommend cowhide rugs.

This is a fantastic thread. Thank you for starting it.

Great story Gypsy! What are the ODDS!?? Sometimes the stars align....

cheers--Sharon

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My audio books to help me get through my busy season, my trip for the Boston marathon, road bikes for my husband and son, and of course my bling purchases, studs, bracelet and VC RESET.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
The $75 adoption fee we paid in June for four year old Bear. After we lost Louie we didn't think we could love another dog that way. Turns out we can.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1419026109|3804404 said:
Hi Gypsy & Too Patient,

It's been so long since I've uploaded a photo I'm not sure this will work but ... hey, I tried!

Oh my goodness they are adorable. What kind(s) of dog are they (I know they may be mutts, but what are they most likely to be).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
lulu|1419052160|3804621 said:
The $75 adoption fee we paid in June for four year old Bear. After we lost Louie we didn't think we could love another dog that way. Turns out we can.

PICS!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
decodelighted|1419026109|3804404 said:
Hi Gypsy & Too Patient,

Decodelighted,

Best money EVER spent! They are so precious!!!

Callie

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best money spent this year was, besides paying for our wedding, was to fly my husband's mom and sister over from the US to attend the wedding in Asia (for my mother-in-law, it was her first time travelling outside of the US). It was such a special memory and I'm glad my husband had someone from his side of the family with him on our big day. :)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lulu|1419052160|3804621 said:

Have we seen bear??? That would be awesome if you would post pics!

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1419039047|3804507 said:
My audio books to help me get through my busy season, my trip for the Boston marathon, road bikes for my husband and son, and of course my bling purchases, studs, bracelet and VC RESET.

Wonderful LLJs Mom! Bikes, jewels and running--right up my alley!

cheers--Sharon

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We bought 2 new subaru's this year. An 2015 outback for me and a new Impreza sport limited for DH. We special ordered mine with everything we could put on it including eyesight, and bought DH's off the lot. His is a dark blue and mine a sparkly black. Both are fun to drive.

_25375.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results