shape
carat
color
clarity

Best Point-and-Shoot Camera Options for Colored Stones?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you post the pics you say "failed" maybe we can troubleshoot them.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
iPhone. For comparison, I have a Nikon Coolpix 3200 from 2003, Nikon Coolpix 4100 from 2005, and a Canon Elph from about 2005, and have tried macro settings. These are all digital point and shoot cameras.

The iPhone is hands down the most accurate, and actually captures red. It works best on an overcast or cloudy but bright day (diffused natural light). In general, diffused outdoor light, or diffused indoor light works best. Direct light flooding a stone, whether it be bright sunlight on a cloudless day, or a lamp light, causes glare, shadowing, and artificially lightened color.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, doesn't help me, as I don't have an iPhone. I assume I'll be able to take good photos once I master the proper settings, so just asking for help that way. Kenny, unfortunately, there were a number of problems so I could not take photos. The main one was that it wasn't focusing and was registering as too dark - clearly I need to play around with settings a bit more, which means brushing up on the manual. I'm lazy. I was hoping someone could read my mind and come up with the answer for me... :rodent: :wink2:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does your lamps have high enough output? Low lighting will result in darker picture, which also affects shutter speed.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll report back tomorrow, after I've figured it out. I am confident I will prevail! :bigsmile:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
That's the spirit. Picture taking can be so frustrating.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1361168030|3382941 said:
That's the spirit. Picture taking can be so frustrating.

Preg: thanks for the encouragement. I find that in the cold light of day, despite reading the manual for a good hour last night, I would rather be here posting than trying to figure out what I need to do to make it work. I'll hopefully screw up the determination in a bit, but right now, I am procrastinating. :oops:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results