shape
carat
color
clarity

Best places to shop for lab grown diamonds? Looking for best price on a 1 carat.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aren't all diamonds ultimately just costume jewellery, in that they are jewellery designed to make costumes look nicer? ;-) (even if it's just one's birthday suit :razz: )

VDK1

Shiny_Rock
Yes, hope all the sellers think so.:lol: So you can buy the Koh-i-Noor diamond or the Hope diamond or whatso ever diamond :twisted2:to wear with whatever costume...:lol:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that what the selling price of synthetic diamonds are not completely known at this point. There is a discount to lab diamonds, (20-40%) and Debeers has drawn a line in the sand where they feel pricing is. However, if Debeers is not willing to sell synthetic diamonds of larger sizes, or ones with decent cut quality (as well as clarity) customers will look elsewhere, and decide on either a natural diamond where they have more information, or a seller who will give them the size, clarity, cut quality they are looking for, even if they have to pay more. Lab diamonds I don't think will ever be as cheap as czs or lab rubies. The way they are created is simply more costly than cubic zirconium or flux ruby, and larger, cleaner stones are more costly to create as well. And despite my preference for natural stones, younger generation may actually value lab diamonds more than natural diamonds, because they are by nature, "conflict-free" and they may be wiling to pay more to have that peace of mind that there is 0% chance that the gem was bought sold to fund conflict.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lightbox is NOT selling 1-carat diamonds for $800 and they never have. It’s not even clear if they’re planning on it. In any case, saying they intend to do something is not the same as doing it. You can't even back order one at the moment. With most of the vendors who are prepared to actually make a delivery, they cost between $2000 and $7000 depending on the details (September 10, 2018).

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
^ Lightbox has sent me an e-mail saying that the online store opens this month. I would wait and see rather than jump on a much higher priced lab diamond right now.

The do show a 1 ct. necklace on their website as "coming soon".

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
^ Lightbox has sent me an e-mail saying that the online store opens this month. I would wait and see rather than jump on a much higher priced lab diamond right now.

They do show a 1 ct. necklace on their website as "coming soon".
I"m on their tickler list too, and I agree, I would probably wait as well, but 'coming soon' is not the same as actually having something, as I'm sure you know. It's easy to quote good prices on things you don't have. It would not be the first time to see important things change before something ships. 1-carat is not the same as 1-carat total weight for example. They, of all people, know this.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How long are you willing to wait? lightbox is supposed to start selling this month. But say for a 1 carat piece it might be 6 months, a year down the road before they actually sell them.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How long are you willing to wait? lightbox is supposed to start selling this month. But say for a 1 carat piece it might be 6 months, a year down the road before they actually sell them.

They have stated they will have true 1 ct solitaires in the pendants... there is almost no chance most people will be able to get them as the second they come online, they are going to sell those 1 ct clears out even with the junk settings that people are being forced to buy.

I will be stunned if we can go online and buy a 1 carat clear lab diamond solitaire anytime soon.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will be stunned if we can go online and buy a 1 carat clear lab diamond solitaire anytime soon.
Even more so if you add the additional criterion of 'well cut'! :lol:

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
They are not offering customers to choose ANY criteria other than shape and a general range of weight. Not cut, clarity, the method of manufacture, or anything else. That said, I bet they'll be decently good. The bar is set at something like 'good enough' and there's no particular reason not to do it. There may soon be an industry in recutting them to super-ideal's but don't expect them to be that way right out of the box.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
If there is any kind of return policy, I'm going to try ordering the 1ct solitaire necklace as soon as I can. Hopefully it won't take 6 months to a year, I'm not willing to wait that long. But if shshippi time is reasonable, I'm willing to give it a try to see if it looks good enough for my untrained eyes. The potential savings is huge.

Does anyone know if they have mentioned a return policy? I would only be willing to risk it if I know I can return it for a refund within 30 days or whatever.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@frogplus, I have looked and I have not seen a return policy listed.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here it is:

7. REFUNDS AND RETURNS

7.1 Our hope is that you are satisfied with your Lightbox Jewelry purchase. However, you may return a product and receive a full refund, provided that the product is returned unworn, in its original condition, and with the product tag attached within 30 days of the date that the product was delivered to you. We do not currently offer exchanges, so if a new item is required, please return your item by following the process described below, and then place a new order for the replacement product.

7.2 To begin the returns process, please visit our online returns center. You will then be guided through the returns process, which requires you to enter your order number and email address and then select the product you wish to return. You can find the necessary information about your order on the dispatch note that arrives in your Lightbox package. Once you have registered your return online, we will send you a prepaid USPS label you can use to return the product. Your product must be placed back into the original packaging and shipping box and have the product tags intact prior to shipping it back to us. include a copy of your original dispatch note inside the box. Your order will arrive with two copies of the dispatch note, so in the event of a return you can keep one copy for your records. Please ensure your personal details (name, telephone number, and email) are filled out on the dispatch note. Please ensure you receive a proof of postage from the post office when you ship back your product, as we are unable to issue refunds for products that are lost in transit or not received. In addition, we accept no liability for any items that might be lost in transit should you choose an alternative shipment method. We recommend that you insure your shipment.

7.3 Refunds for properly returned products will be credited to your original payment method. Any We endeavor to process returns within of receipt. We reserve the right to reject any returns that do not meet the conditions of this Section 7. If non-conforming returns are sent to us, we will return these items to you. Please contact us with any questions about returning defective or faulty products. In the event we will accept the return, the defective or faulty products should be returned inside their original packaging where possible.

dhoang132

Rough_Rock
I'm new to the site, hello guys. I feel like lightboxjewelry has an alternative motive. I wouldn't buy any lab grown diamond from them unless I could see the diamonds before hand. I'm guessing they will probably only sell poorly cut stones hence making Natural diamonds look 10x superior to lab grown diamonds. Will further kill the market for lab grown diamonds.

dhoang132

Rough_Rock
keep in mind, we all know why light box jewelry exist and it isn't to make a profit. :twisted:

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve followed along with your thread in Rocky Talky a bit & feel for you! Shopping for something like this can be so stressful.
I don’t have any experience with MMD’s. Stuller is a jewelry company that a lot of jewelry stores use/order from; I like to order Stuller pieces from my local jeweler. They do have a lab created diamond section where you can see the stone & it’s specs/lab report. If you have a jeweler you trust, they could bring in some stones for you to look at. Small stores don’t always offer returns on engagement ring purchases though. So you’d want to ask about that.

I’m not a diamond expert, but this one looked like it checked the boxes as far as what numbers are usually recommended to look for. (I also didn’t run it through the HCA tool or anything)

https://mohrcreations.jewelershowca...diamonds/333601?recommendationSource=RedBDRef

This is one of my favorite 6 prong settings from them:

https://mohrcreations.jewelershowca...rm=123054&recommendationSource=SearchRedirect

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve followed along with your thread in Rocky Talky a bit & feel for you! Shopping for something like this can be so stressful.
I don’t have any experience with MMD’s. Stuller is a jewelry company that a lot of jewelry stores use/order from; I like to order Stuller pieces from my local jeweler. They do have a lab created diamond section where you can see the stone & it’s specs/lab report. If you have a jeweler you trust, they could bring in some stones for you to look at. Small stores don’t always offer returns on engagement ring purchases though. So you’d want to ask about that.

I’m not a diamond expert, but this one looked like it checked the boxes as far as what numbers are usually recommended to look for. (I also didn’t run it through the HCA tool or anything)

https://mohrcreations.jewelershowca...diamonds/333601?recommendationSource=RedBDRef

This is one of my favorite 6 prong settings from them:

https://mohrcreations.jewelershowca...rm=123054&recommendationSource=SearchRedirect
I almost bought that setting last week!

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
I almost bought that setting last week!

I haven’t seen it in person, (& don’t have a round stone for it anyway) but it’s so pretty!

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
@jbake I really like that setting! I was looking at one almost identical on the Stuller website. I can't decide if I want one like that with the petals and the tall side pieces that go up to the top (what is that called?) or if I want the classic Tiffany style. I think I prefer the petals over the straight 6 prongs, but I'm not sure if I like the tall side pieces (please tell me what they are called so I stop sounding like an idiot!)

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Oh also "If you have a jeweler you trust" I don't. In fact I've really disliked every jeweler I've met so far. I would love to hear some personal recommendations for Philly jewelers. Someone who won't push, and will actually listen to what's important to me without making me feel like what I want is garbage.

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
@jbake I really like that setting! I was looking at one almost identical on the Stuller website. I can't decide if I want one like that with the petals and the tall side pieces that go up to the top (what is that called?) or if I want the classic Tiffany style. I think I prefer the petals over the straight 6 prongs, but I'm not sure if I like the tall side pieces (please tell me what they are called so I stop sounding like an idiot!)

The sides make it a cathedral setting. I always seem to gravitate towards them :)

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just be aware- I didn’t purchase that particular setting because I was told it was super delicate and although I’m not hard on my rings, I didn’t want to chance it.

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
Oh also "If you have a jeweler you trust" I don't. In fact I've really disliked every jeweler I've met so far. I would love to hear some personal recommendations for Philly jewelers. Someone who won't push, and will actually listen to what's important to me without making me feel like what I want is garbage.

That’s so hard, too. Finding someone local you trust & seems to understand what you are looking for can feel impossible. I generally look for an smaller, independent stores. (I worked for a couple family owned jewelry stores in college, so that’s the environment I feel most comfortable in.)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about a Canadian diamond? Those I believe are not DeBeers

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
@whitewave Will a Canadian diamond ever be cheaper than a lab diamond of the exact same quality? My bottom line is still price, and I personally see no difference between lab and mined. I don't care about the resale value of lab diamonds and I really can't see myself wanting to upgrade my original stone ever, if anything maybe just adding side stones for an anniversary or something.

So unless a mined diamond is going to be cheaper, I don't need one, regardless of boyfriend's ethical concerns I would still be looking at lab unless there's something cheaper than lab that's still the same chemical makeup.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with you about lab and mined. They are exactly the same. I personally feel lab is still too expensive though. I can’t really justify that...just how I feel.

I’ll look in a minute to see If I can find one for you.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
@whitewave Are you saying the price difference is small enough that you think it makes sense to spend more for mined that will hold more of it's value? Do you think there's any other advantage to mined if I'll never sell or upgrade? I get what you're saying, but at the same time the difference of $500 is big for me when my budget is $1500 for the stone, you know? I would have to get a smaller mined diamond than what I could get from lab.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave Are you saying the price difference is small enough that you think it makes sense to spend more for mined that will hold more of it's value? Do you think there's any other advantage to mined if I'll never sell or upgrade? I get what you're saying, but at the same time the difference of $500 is big for me when my budget is $1500 for the stone, you know? I would have to get a smaller mined diamond than what I could get from lab.

Right, I’d rather spend a couple more hundred and get the mined diamond. I also get what you are saying about your budget.

The brilliant earth website is hard to navigate IMO. I mean for the certificates

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
@whitewave ugh. This is such a difficult decision. I'm going to talk to boyfriend and see what he thinks about mined, lab, antique mined, mined but not by debeers. I think his issue is with ALL mined diamonds, that the prices and values are artificially inflated and that it's a racket he doesn't want to be involved in. I kind of agree, but I still want a beautiful sparkly rock that will stay that way forever.

I might make an appointment with a local jeweler who has a lot of antique diamonds just to get an idea of what's available. I think bf and I would both feel good about an antique. Still a real diamond, will hold value, but not directly supporting the big bad diamond bros, although I guess supporting the used diamond market is still helping to perpetuate the idea that diamonds have a high resale value.

I bet if I said all of this to my bf, he would just be like holy shit I didn't know it was so complicated, just get whatever you want. Lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results