shape
carat
color
clarity

Best place to shop for necklace with a December birthstone?

skingsland

Shiny_Rock
I'd like to give my wife a necklace with a December birthstone, to celebrate and thank her for our newborn baby boy (who will be 2 weeks old tomorrow). However, I didn't see any tanzanite necklaces in my local jewelry stores that I liked (they all have too much of a purple hue), and she said the blue topaz necklace I bought her from Macy's is too "fancy" to wear to every day: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/blue-topaz-3-ct.-t.w.-diamond-1-10-ct.-t.w.-teardrop-pear-pendant-necklace-in-14k-white-gold?ID=508288&CategoryID=9569

So I need a more casual necklace with a December birthstone, and I'm in Salem Oregon so there aren't too many options for jewelry stores. Should I just buy her something that she like the looks of online, and hope the gem looks great in real life? (In which case do you have suggestions for websites?) Or does anyone know of a good jewelry store in Salem? Portland is an hour away, so kind of a hassle just for necklace shopping, but doable.

My price range is approximately less than $500, but $200-300 would be better. She prefers yellow gold, but white would be fine. No need for accent diamonds, but it's OK if they are there.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Best place to shop for necklace with a December birthsto

Have you tried etsy.com? Be sure to include 14k or 18k in your search terms to filter out some of the dross. Also be sure to read the descriptions, sometimes "tanzanite" actually turns out to be blue or purple crystal.

Here are a two options from a search using "blue tanzanite" and either 14k or 18k:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/183832...blue tanzanite necklace 14k&ref=sr_gallery_28

https://www.etsy.com/listing/164937...blue tanzanite necklace 18k&ref=sr_gallery_10

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

Thanks for the suggestion, I will take a look at Etsy! Are there any particular sellers that you've had good experiences with, especially buying colored stones jewelry?

AFA the pieces you linked to, I'm envisioning more of a pendant necklace, but I will show those to my wife as she might like those better.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Would you consider ablue zircon? This is also December birthstone, and you can get a lovely one for your budget.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm sorry - you'd probably have more luck posting your question in the colored stones forum, and I probably should have pointed you there in the first place. There is a thread there that includes a list of etsy vendors that people have had good experiences with: https://www.pricescope.com/forum/co...ead-with-respected-cs-vendors-t169561-60.html.

You can ask the admins to move your thread there, or you can start a new thread there.

If you try etsy you do have more options to choose from if you're open to blue topaz as well - you should specify "sky" blue or "swiss" blue in your search to avoid the more greenish tones. White metals are more popular than yellow gold right now so more white gold settings are being shown. But - if you spot a stone you like in a white gold setting, you can always ask whether it is also available in yellow gold. (Just beware that sometimes this will make it a "custom" piece, and not elegible to be returned.

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

Niel|1451350860|3967630 said:
Would you consider ablue zircon? This is also December birthstone, and you can get a lovely one for your budget.

Yup, I'd be fine with blue zircon! I didn't see any necklaces with that gemstone when I visited my local jewelry stores, so I wasn't sure if that was even an option. One jeweler even said it wasn't typically used in jewelry, but I forget the reason.

abbit

Rough_Rock

That is a great everyday necklace!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

Ask her what she likes.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results