shape
carat
color
clarity

best mm size for size 8 ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
I have tiny fingers (size 4.5) and am having trouble visualizing the mm size that would provide good coverage on a size 8 finger (to help a friend). Any ideas?

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks MrsS . . . but I guess I was wondering more how a particular diameter of stone would "look" on a size 8 finger. For instance a 7mm round covers a good part of my size 4.5 finger so I guess I am wondering what diameter will cover an equivalent percent of a size 8 finger. Does that make sense, what I am asking. I don''t have a way to know how a 9mm stone for instance will look on a size 8 finger, will it cover as much as a 7mm does for me?

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
the best I have been able to figure out to picture how a stone would look on a given size is to use a ring size chart (I can''t track this down right now but I found one somewhere online) to figure out the diameter of the inside of the ring, which approximates the diameter of the person''s finger. then you can have an idea of how much a given size of diamond would "cover" (not including halo/bezel, of course, which would add some diameter and might be a good choice). i actually played with using clipart circles that i could resize to figure out what the proportions might be.
that said, this isn''t foolproof by far -- my finger certainly isn''t perfectly round -- it is much narrower at the top of my hand and has more "meat" on the underside, so comparing the "diameter" will really only tell you what the stone will look like in proportion to the diameter of the ring (which is round), and it may cover more or less of the finger depending on the shape.
i hope this makes sense -- it is hard to explain!

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/30/2007 2:01:53 PM
Author: enbcfsobe
the best I have been able to figure out to picture how a stone would look on a given size is to use a ring size chart (I can''t track this down right now but I found one somewhere online) to figure out the diameter of the inside of the ring, which approximates the diameter of the person''s finger. then you can have an idea of how much a given size of diamond would ''cover'' (not including halo/bezel, of course, which would add some diameter and might be a good choice). i actually played with using clipart circles that i could resize to figure out what the proportions might be.

that said, this isn''t foolproof by far -- my finger certainly isn''t perfectly round -- it is much narrower at the top of my hand and has more ''meat'' on the underside, so comparing the ''diameter'' will really only tell you what the stone will look like in proportion to the diameter of the ring (which is round), and it may cover more or less of the finger depending on the shape.

i hope this makes sense -- it is hard to explain!

Actually, what you said makes perfect sense, now would someone with a size 8 finger kindly give me an approximate mm measure of the diameter of your ring finger . . .
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Maybe I will search out size 8 fingers in SMTR and look at their rings.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i still think it's easier to just print out the chart, cut out the shapes and lay them on top of her finger. they are accurate because it's exactly what I did when I was trying to decide what size I wanted for my upgrade stone
37.gif

I can't think of any size 8's off the top of my head. deco is a 10 I think. let me go track down her thread with the dimentions of her diamond and hand pics..

ok, here's her thread with hand pics..i couldn't find the specs of her stone though..

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/re-deco-ration-project-fini.45849/

rjdodd

Shiny_Rock
I can do Math.

A 7mm diamond covers about 46% of the diameter of a size 4.5 ring (ring diameter 15.2mm according to a sizing chart I found).

For the same coverage on a size 8 ring (18mm diameter) you'd need a 8.2-8.3mm diamond. That means roughly a 2-2.1ct rock (ideal cut proportions).

ETA: That's inside diameter of the ring.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
This sounds like a fun exercise - I'm enjoying the discussion.

Here is a resource that gives approximate diams and circumfs. The inside diameter of a size 8 ring is 1.8 cm, which is in-line with the 18.19 mm cited below. Bear in mind that the band will add some width when looking down on the diamond.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ring_size.htm

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Wow cool . . . thank you one and all.
MrsS, I believe she doesn''t know about the ring, so we are gonna have to guess
9.gif

RJ, you math whiz . . . . thanks !!!
JohnQ, thank you for the link . . . you are awesome.

So, I am guessing somewhere between 8.5mm and 10mm should give her nice finger coverage. So, a 2 carat center stone with a halo should work? Is my math correct?

TaraLeigh

Rough_Rock
Oooh! Handy little chart... Thanks for the link MrsSalvo.
1.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
ahhh, i didn''t realize she didn''t know about the ring. I don''t know about the halo as a surprise unless you know she''s the type to love anything. I''m not a halo fan as an e-ring although I appreciate their beauty and much prefer them in fancy''s than rounds i still think it''s risky. A 3 stone is another way to maximize finger coverage. I''d probably have him buy the largest stone he can afford in a temp setting and then they can setting shop together after the proposal and she can choose halo/3-stone/or solitaire.

how fun for you though to be in on it....

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
hi hiker! is the stone to be a diamond or otherwise. i am wondering about the halo also, unless she has expressed her desire for one. you are nice to help.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Mrs Salvo and crown, Thank you both for being concerned, you guys are so sweet. I did make sure he knew that settings are a very personal thing and he assured me that she has expressed interest in the tiffany legacy for a setting but that she prefers something more unique than a diamond, like a sapphire which is her birthstone. So, a sapphire with a halo it is. He wants to keep as much of it a secret as possible but she has had input so he isn''t doing this blind.

It is VERY exciting to be in on this . . . though when I offered to help, I had diamonds on the mind and so basically I am of little help to him except to ask some of the right questions. It is always exciting to spend someone else''s money, isn''t it
9.gif

Thanks again everyone, I will keep you posted and hopefully he will allow me to post pictures once the ring is done.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i saw the set of rings on your thread about sapphires. it is gorgeous. i don''t know anybody who would not fall in love with it.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
well i think a sapphire in a halo setting would be simple stunning...

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I have a size 8 finger and I have had several different rings. I will provide the links to my threads.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/nix-on-the-pave-new-setting.55912/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-pear-reset.42814/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-pears.27270/page-3 Not my own thread, part of a different one -- link is to the page where my pictures are.

rbring3.jpg

This is a picture of an 8mm stone.

rbhand2.JPG

Here is the same ring with a 6mm stone.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results