shape
carat
color
clarity

Best hair products for my tortured hair???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Any recommendations for superior hair conditioners (both the weekly intensive kind and leave in kind)? Yesterday, I purchased Kerastase and it seems to be pretty good, but I''m wondering what THE BEST stuff would be. . . I left the intensive treatment in for five minutes instead of 10 while in the shower today, but my hair is softer now after my three-times-this-week dying job. . .I probably can use another intensive soon (like Friday
2.gif
) before better results.

What do you all use?

Thanks!

mightyred

Shiny_Rock
Hi...I think Kerastase is fab! My newest addiction is Bumble & Bumble ''deeep treatment'' - I just use it on the ponytail since I dont have the thickest hair.

For daily stuff I use the Aussie line and alternate with Biolage Hydrating Shampoo and deep conditioning balm. I think they also do a good spray/leave in conditioner.

I have heard olive oil with rosemary is a great conditioner but I am too chicken to try it .....I really want to try Tigi Catwalk oatmeal & honey conditioner since they call it ''food for your hair'' so hopefully someone reading this has tried it to give some feedback.

I feel your pain!

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
I use the Neutrogina deep conditioning goop which works really well. Also, Phyto has an anti-frizz serum which is non-oily and really conditions. That ones a leave in. I also use Pantene extra-moisture shampoo and conditioner every day and it makes my hair really soft.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

K-PAK by Joico. It comes in shampoo, daily conditioner, intense conditioner/repair, and recontruct--a daily leave in protectant that foams up like a mousse. When I routinely used to stress my hair with simultaneous perming and foiling, K-PAK was my saviour.........

cheers--Sharon

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
Try Biosilk, the leave in drops. My friend who double processes her hair swears by them, and I can see a definite diff in her hair when she uses it.

Myself, I have very boring, virgin, straight, black hair.
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone.

My MIL says costco now sells biosilk so I went to look for it but apparently they''ve sold out as all that I could find were the usuals and also the tempting Lancome wrinkle removing face creams.
7.gif
But, I''ll try some of these other ones. I bought a leave-in product by Bed Head so hopefully this helps too
1.gif

Mightyred - a friend of mine tried olive oil and either she used too much or this treatment idea is an old wives'' tale as her hair was goopy and greasy for about two weeks after (lol)!

MrsFrk - your hair sounds beautiful. I''d love to have virgin hair. Mines been around the block a few times. lol Poor hair. If I hadn''t attempted to cut it myself the other day, it''d look a bit less drastic right now with just the new color. lol

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
Michelle:

Ive had highlights and some body wave perms for years. Joico was a great conditioner, maybe the best I have tried, and I have tried a lot. My hair was very dry when I got it straightened, and I would buy Graham Webb, its a 2 part deep conditioning treatment that you mix together then put on your hair. Its expensive, but you can buy 1 pack at a time. The pack has the two formulas in it, and its a foil pack kinda like KPAK. Look it up and order. Don't think you will be disappointed. For daily leave in treatment I've tried Biosilk, which is good if you use a tiny amt. otherwise its too oily. I didn't like their line of shampoo or conditioner though. The other that I keep going back to is the spray in one by Biolage, can't think of the name of it. Right now I have the Silk line of hair products and im very happy with them. This is coming from a gal who goes to State beauty and buys gallons of different stuff that my whole family is sick of. Buy the silk shampoo and daily conditioner if you can. You won't be disappointed on those.

Good Luck!

Lori

Edited to add: I looked up the names and some prices.

Graham Webb ThermaCore Therapy 3.95 pk- you must try this.
Biolage: fortifying leave in treatment: 11.99- Drugstore.com
Silk: im still looking and will find tomorrow.

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/16/2005 10:33:56 PM
Author: MichelleCarmen
Thanks everyone.

My MIL says costco now sells biosilk so I went to look for it but apparently they''ve sold out as all that I could find were the usuals and also the tempting Lancome wrinkle removing face creams.
7.gif
But, I''ll try some of these other ones. I bought a leave-in product by Bed Head so hopefully this helps too
1.gif

Mightyred - a friend of mine tried olive oil and either she used too much or this treatment idea is an old wives'' tale as her hair was goopy and greasy for about two weeks after (lol)!

MrsFrk - your hair sounds beautiful. I''d love to have virgin hair. Mines been around the block a few times. lol Poor hair. If I hadn''t attempted to cut it myself the other day, it''d look a bit less drastic right now with just the new color. lol
Olive oil is great but if it left her hair greasy then she used wayyyyyy too much. Especially if it was like that for that amount of time. It only takes a tiny bit. Just a nickle sized amount (depending on thickness/length) and you rub it on your hands and run your fingers and hands just through the ends. I never put it on the scalp because that really weighs my hair down so I only use it on the ends and a tiny bit up from there. I only leave it on for about five minutes or so and then wash it out with whatever shampoo I just happen to have in the shower. Works really well for me.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Hehehehe Mightyred- I get Bumbleandbumble for free. Hubby works there! :) Don''t really use much...except the extra rich conditioner or something like that.

When my aunt fried my hair with that Michael Jackson perm in the 10th grade, I used infusium and CHOLESTEROL!!! That sh*t is pretty ''intense'' but it works.

Although hair is dead...and I''m not really convinced much can help...conditioners do help to smooth....I would suggest a good vitamin and some cholesterol. Also, try to find something alcohol free..if it exists..

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
MMM - the bed head leave-in conditioner I bought is alcohol free. I looked at least 15-20 products before finding one w/out alcohol. The hair consultants I talked to all looked confused when hearing requests for any items w/out alcohol
20.gif

Oh and hey, can you send me some bumble samples!?! lol
3.gif

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
What type of hair do you have? I have coarse thick curly hair that is really dry and frizzy. I use Matrix Sleek Lines (orange bottles) and I use shampoo, conditioner and the styling cream. It is the most wonderful product I''ve ever had and I have hair from hell that can''t be tamed. I also use a salon quality straight iron lightly to shine it up. The product holds in moisture so the irons etc shouldn''t dry the hair out. It also doesn''t weigh your hair down. I also try to use a hot oil treatment once or twice a week. My hair is in the best shape ever and I''ve had trouble with it for years and years.

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
MC: I''ve been using a Jap brand of treatment type conditioner, would you like me to send some to you? It''s only SIN$15 so its not that expensive and it works very well for me.
5.gif

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
No more Do-It-Yourself haircuts for you, Missy!

I actually hanker to do SOMETHING to my hair, but it''s very difficult to do anything with blue-black hair. I loathe those weird orange-y highlights all the young Asian kids wear nowadays. I am grooming obsessed as it is; if I added hair stuff to my regime I would NEVER leave the dang house!

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
Michelle Carmen,
I have to agree with Ammayernyc about the Neutrogena daily deep conditioner. At $5 a tube it''s a great cheap conditioner that really does leave your hair silky smooth (must be the avocado oil). I remember last year''s thread on must have beauty products https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/your-must-have-items.11747/ . I have to heartily agree with the endorsement of the Biosilk silk therapy serum to gloss up the mane. However, I''ve been using Biosilk''s shampoo and conditioner and they just don''t make my hair feel at all soft nor smooth. I''d skip these products and use the serum only.

At $200, I know this ionic hair dryer is expensive but I really like it. I just bought the Hairart T3 Tourmaline II hairdryer http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P85231 . Yes, this dryer really does contain tourmaline. I bought this after I saw how glossy and "just salon styled" it made one of my clients look.

I justified the purchase because I was going to purchase a Solano dryer anyway and Solanos are pretty expensive as well. For some stupid reason, I can''t seem to keep my cheaper Conair or Vidal Sassoon dryers for more than a year and a half- the motors just burn out on me. Besides, I found the T3 on Ebay for $140
16.gif

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
The T3 hairdryer also has cut my hair drying time down from 15 minutes to just 5!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I use Infusium...but the trick is I wash my hair at night and then towel dry...then add the Infusium. I''ll even let it soak in and add a bit more right before bed. Then I sleep on it overnight (put a towel on your pillowcase). In the morning, I rinse it all out and style as usual. My stylist is always amazed at the condition of my hair even though it is color treated and highlighted. The overnight trick seems to work with most of the deep conditioners...Infusium is just cheaper than most and it works for me. Good luck!
26.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much everyone. I purchased Graham Webb stuff, including the shampoo and conditioner, so I''ll try these and some of these other products. I guess the G. Webb shampoo keeps color in longer and I''m not going to wash my hair for a good four days to keep the color in as much as possible.
9.gif

I''m embarrassed to say I had my hair colored again on Friday. lol Not my whole head, but had some low lights added in for more contrast. The lady who was watching my kids has seen me with all four colors this week and two of the hair styles and just looked at my hair w/out comment. Maybe it looks really bad??? lol

Ah, hair grows. lol I''m going to let my natural color grow back and just blend with high lights. All these chemicals started to make me feel a bit sick! How do colorists breathe these products in all day long? They must be choking by the end of their work day.

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
Michelle,

I hope you like the Graham Webb deep conditioning treatment. Make sure to use a tight shower cap to seal in the heat. I bought a bag of 50 or so of the clear ones and they fit great. Let us know how it turns out.

Lori

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Michelle,
Have you ever tried Kerasilk conditioner? It makes your hair smooth as silk. i have my hair single processed every 5-6 weeks and I couln''t live without this stuff. it''s not to be used everyday, but 3 times a week does the trick for me!! Good luck!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
My hair was getting pretty dry last year from chemical straightening and also my highlighting regime...so my stylish put me on Redken All Soft both shampoo and conditioner. LOVED IT and I noticed a big difference in my hair even within a few weeks...it was a huge improvement.

Right now I am using Pureology Hydrate Shampoo and Conditioner which smells divine..and the Shampoo is very concentrated so I use much less than with other products. I'm a Shampoo hog meaning I use way more than a dime but I have alot of hair...so the Pureology stuff goes much farther than other shampoos.

For deep conditioning, I use the KPak and also the Pureology stuff is pretty intense and it makes your scalp tingle after it's been on for a few minutes! Yummy.

Lastly, before I blowdry or style, I use Redken's Anti-Snap which has really helped as well and for Shine I use the Pureology stuff. I wasn't into the pomade shine stuff, it left my hair feeling WAY too greasy so that was a waste of $$...but my girlfriend uses a Redken version and loves it, so everyone is different!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wasn''t into the pomade shine stuff, it left my hair feeling WAY too greasy so that was a waste of $$...but my girlfriend uses a Redken version and loves it, so everyone is different!
Pomade is pretty tricky stuff. I''m just bought some and am using a bit around a small section of hair and it''s working okay, but still it''s greasy in this section as I haven''t quite mastered the technique. I''m betting my hair is like yours in that it and pomade aren''t a great combo. However, due to my bad hair cut attempt, I need something to style it. lol What a mess. For all this disaster, I could have gotten a regular hair cut, color and the kate spade sandles I''ve been day dreaming about.
7.gif
I ended up buying simple flip flops from the Gap instead. lol

TLS

Shiny_Rock
Michelle, the bumble and bumble super rich conditioner is awesome!!! It is definitely pricey but lasts a long time and is worth it as a special treat :)

heart prongs

Shiny_Rock
I like the Matrix Sleek Style stuff right now. I have A LOT of hair and I feel like it''s always a bit frizzy, but this shampoo, conditioner and gloss drops seems to be doing the trick pretty well. Hey, do the expensive hair dryers and straightening irons really work well...if so, I''m tempted...I''m a much happier person on a good hair day! klr

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2005 12:36:49 PM
Author: heart prongs
I like the Matrix Sleek Style stuff right now. I have A LOT of hair and I feel like it''s always a bit frizzy, but this shampoo, conditioner and gloss drops seems to be doing the trick pretty well. Hey, do the expensive hair dryers and straightening irons really work well...if so, I''m tempted...I''m a much happier person on a good hair day! klr
I''m not sure about expensive hair dryers, but my ceramic flat iron is medium price and works really well. My MIL gave it to me and I mostly use it to fix my hair on days I don''t wash it and it makes my hair smooth and fresh. Right now my hair is a mess, though. lol I haven''t washed it in three days as I''m too afraid to subject my abused locks to any more stress. If the color washes out too soon, I''d have to have it retreated and I''d like to have it left alone for at least four weeks. lol It''s really feeling gross now, so I guess I''m going to have to wash it today. hahaha

Oh, and I read in a magazine that it''s better to dry your hair for a shorter time using HIGH heat, than a longer time using lower heat, because overall your hair is being more minimally exposed to the dryer. I''ve never heard this before and always thought that the opposite was the case
33.gif
Does anyone know about this? Personally, I find hot temperatures kind of burn!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I''m so jealous that you can go a couple days without washing. I MUST wash my thin and lifeless hair every day or I"m a grease bomb. I know it contributes to the cycle of grease LOL but I HAVE to. If I didn''t wash for three days people would think I dunked my head in oil. Ewww. I have to carry Bumble dry shampoo with me so I can sprinkle myself mid-day. Siiiggghhhhh, to have good hair
39.gif

heart prongs

Shiny_Rock
I''m wondering about the hair dryers b/c my hair always looks so FABULOUS when I leave the salon, but never so great when I do it -- that could have a lot to do with talent and patience though...both of which I sadly lack when it comes to my hair...oh well, I''m good at other things!!! klr

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
I also like John Frieda, Sheer Blonde products. I use both the shampoo and conditioner and after I towel dry my hair I use the Sheer Blonde Spot Light detangler and slicker. Then I dry it with an ion dryer. I also use a flat iron on my hair so I pin my hair up on my head and take little sections down at a time, then I give each section I''m working with a good coating of the Spot Light gel (just smaller than pea sized) right before I use the flat iron. Makes it SUPER soft and the flat iron ''dries'' it so it doesn''t look greasy. It takes me a long time to do my hair but it''s so worth it in the end.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
heart prongs...that's what they do for a living! And a lot has to do with how they position the blow dryer...it's very hard for us to do on our own hair!

I dunno....I use suave. I think it's all the same stuff. Then again, I blow dry my bangs a little and then put it up in a bun wet and take it down when my car pulls into my work parking lot. Then again, I look like a train wreck these days. I also cut my own hair LOL...I have trust issues...but I AM getting my first real hair cut in about 8 months on saturday so I'm excited (although this lady cuts from her own house...it's probably the same towel she uses on her dog LOL...but I think she does a great job! My hubby says I should go into bumble for a free haircut (hehehehe...I get those too)...but I feel like I'm not hip enough for that place LOL...

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I dunno....I use suave. I think it's all the same stuff

according to the ingredient label it is!!
2.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, Redken All Soft does calm hair.

I''m a tried and true firm believer in a product called Fermadol. You can only buy it at a beauty supply store like Sally''s. It''s a leave in conditioner. Use Netrogena shampoo w/ no added stuff before use. My hairdresser said this is the "ultra" conditioner they use & charge $30.00 for an application. It costs about $5.00 or so dollars to apply yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results