shape
carat
color
clarity

"best" gemstone for emerald cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Here is a link to a diagram of a cushion shape Barion Cut.

Here is a description from IGS.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A scissor cut rhodolite garnet.

ScissorRhodolite.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A not so clear example of a barion cut aqua.

BarionAqua.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s my barion tourmaline.

BarionTourmaline.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thanks Chrono and Blu! I looked at the IGS website and it is very useful. I love to learn new things.

I agree than the barion cut is gorgeous for coloured stones (your tourmaline is so beautiful Chrono, have you set it?), but I wonder if it will compliment my step cut diamonds? Of course, as I expand my collection (current size = 1!! Is that a collection yet?) I will get the cut that is best for the stone, but in the nearest future I am focusing on getting a more beutiful center stone for my three stone ring, and since the diamonds are already step cut, I want a cut for the center stone that compliments the step cut diamonds. I can imagine that it might, given that the barion cut is step cut on the crown... what do you think?

DD
35.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DD,
Thanks for the compliment. No, I haven''t set the tourmaline yet because I''ve too many other projects going on. I''m in the process of finally setting my spinels into earrings (did you hear that, Sharon and Matata?
11.gif
) and am upgrading my RHR.

As for whether a barion cut gemstone will go well with ECs, that''s more of a personal taste. I think it would be lovely but I''m sure there are others who would disagree.

E B

Ideal_Rock
dreamer,

I don''t know if you''ve seen this website, but it might be helpful. You can choose a piece of rough and have it cut the way you''d like, so you don''t have to settle for anything pre-cut. I''d stick with a sapphire, personally, and I love the paler blue colors out there. Not baby blue, but something in between baby and cornflower.

Jeff White Custom Gems

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the suggestion Bree! I actually contacted Jeff on friday night and I''m just waiting for his reply. He seems to come recommended by PSers, and the pictures of his work look great. I also agree that a lighter blue sapphire is the way to go, with a more conflower colour. Lets see what happens!

Thanks for everyone''s ideas!

35.gif
DD

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results