shape
carat
color
clarity

"best" gemstone for emerald cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey everyone, I am looking for some opinions about which gemstones look the most lively and sparkly in an emerald cut?

I currently have a three-stone blue sapphire and diamond EC ring, but down the road I am thinking of upgrading the center stone in my ring to a larger gemstone (maybe 1.5ct), but still in an emerald cut to match my 2x .50ct side diamonds. So I am looking for opinions about gemstones that meet the following criteria:

1) look AWESOME in an emerald cut
2) look great with diamonds
3) are strong/hard enough for daily wear

I am open to getting another larger and better cut blue sapphire, but the sapphire I have isn''t as lively and sparkly as I would like, but its cut isn''t that great (we bought it pre-PS and pre-any-knowledge about gems!). I wonder whether the deep blue colour of a traditional sapphire just looks best in more faceted cuts, or whether a really great, saturated, excellently cut blue sapphire can look lively and gorgeous in an EC too?
33.gif

If anyone has pictures of EC gemstones to post, I''d loooove to see them.

Thanks in advance for all your opinions!
35.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are few emerald cut stones because the step cuts really do not showcase the colour and sparkle very well. That said, I have seen some awesome sapphires, spinels, garnets and tourmalines in step cuts but these are very few and hard to come by. For daily wear, sapphires and spinels are reasonably tough. Tourmalines and garnets are a bit softer. All look great with diamonds.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Chrono... I suspected as much about the whole "step-cut-coloured-stone" combo, but at the time we selected the center stone we didn''t know any better!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pink tourmaline cut by Jeff White

314073f.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
x

314074.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aquamarine cut by Jeff White.

AQM001f.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
All beautiful stones, chrono! Am I right to think that lighter tones look best in a step cut?

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Wow, Chrono, that golden tourmaline is TDF!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An interesting bi-coloured tanzanite.

Dec-07-BC-Tanz.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another unusual bi-coloured stone - this time in a sapphire.

July-2006-BC-Sapp.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A purple sapphire.

March-2006-Purp-Sapphire-FW.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A very unusual cut for a tsavorite.

Oct-07-ATsavorite.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A very bright zircon.

Sept-2006-AZircon.GIF

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally prefer lighter coloured gemstones if it has to be in a step cut. It seems that the lighter coloured stones tend to be able to "sing" better.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2007 4:47:52 PM
Author: Chrono
A very bright zircon.
What is the source for some of these stones, chrono? I checked out the Jeff White site and the stone are gorgeous. Can you recommend any other good sources? I guess cut is king for what I am looking for...

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
If the pavillion does not have to be step cut. I think sissors type facets really liven up emerald shape stones.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2007 4:06:17 PM
Author:dreamer_dachsie
Hey everyone, I am looking for some opinions about which gemstones look the most lively and sparkly in an emerald cut?

I currently have a three-stone blue sapphire and diamond EC ring, but down the road I am thinking of upgrading the center stone in my ring to a larger gemstone (maybe 1.5ct), but still in an emerald cut to match my 2x .50ct side diamonds. So I am looking for opinions about gemstones that meet the following criteria:

I am open to getting another larger and better cut blue sapphire, but the sapphire I have isn't as lively and sparkly as I would like, but its cut isn't that great (we bought it pre-PS and pre-any-knowledge about gems!). I wonder whether the deep blue colour of a traditional sapphire just looks best in more faceted cuts, or whether a really great, saturated, excellently cut blue sapphire can look lively and gorgeous in an EC too?
33.gif

If anyone has pictures of EC gemstones to post, I'd loooove to see them.

35.gif

I was going to be a comedienne and suggest an emerald! LOL! Then I saw that you want it for every day wear so I would not suggest it.

I would stick either with a sapphire [or a ruby] or would consider an EC yellow diamond if you want color and like yellow. I don't know what your price point is but you could even go inth the W-Z range set in a yellow gold head to enhance the color.

Diamonds by Lauren has some nice stones too but the only yellow EC is 77 points.

Here are a few more.

The one I attached is also probably too small but it will give you an idea. Link

1.14 ct yellow diamonf EC.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2007 5:09:45 PM
Author: colormyworld
If the pavillion does not have to be step cut. I think sissors type facets really liven up emerald shape stones.
I was having the same thought when I looked at the link that chronos suggested. My side stones are step cut with an EC shape, but I agree that the scissor cut looks FABU in coloured stones. Does anyone have any opinions about how a scissor cut in the emerald shape would look in combination with two step-cut emerald chape stones?

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
This one looks nice. It is 2.6 is carats and 6x8ish face up.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2007 5:17:44 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
Date: 12/27/2007 5:09:45 PM

Author: colormyworld

I was having the same thought when I looked at the link that chronos suggested. My side stones are step cut with an EC shape, but I agree that the scissor cut looks FABU in coloured stones. Does anyone have any opinions about how a scissor cut in the emerald shape would look in combination with two step-cut emerald chape stones?

Mixed cuts can be great. Another site you may want to visit is
Awesome Gems. I have not done business with therm but some of their stuff looks interesting.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2007 5:09:52 PM
Author: DiamanteBlu

Date: 12/27/2007 4:06:17 PM
Author:dreamer_dachsie

I am open to getting another larger and better cut blue sapphire, but the sapphire I have isn''t as lively and sparkly as I would like, but its cut isn''t that great (we bought it pre-PS and pre-any-knowledge about gems!). I wonder whether the deep blue colour of a traditional sapphire just looks best in more faceted cuts, or whether a really great, saturated, excellently cut blue sapphire can look lively and gorgeous in an EC too?
33.gif

If anyone has pictures of EC gemstones to post, I''d loooove to see them.

35.gif

I was going to be a comedienne and suggest an emerald! LOL! Then I saw that you want it for every day wear so I would not suggest it.

I would stick either with a sapphire [or a ruby] or would consider an EC yellow diamond if you want color and like yellow. I don''t know what your price point is but you could even go inth the W-Z range set in a yellow gold head to enhance the color.

Diamonds by Lauren has some nice stones too but the only yellow EC is 77 points.

Here are a few more.

The one I attached is also probably too small but it will give you an idea. Link
Blu you have GREAT taste, and I adore those fancy diamonds, but I think it is out of my league for a long while! Some day I may have a collection of diamonds, but for now I am going to satify my craving for lovely sparkly things with beautiful gems that are more financially attainable as a "hobby"!

I agree about your ruby/sapphire suggestion and I may look into some of the facy colours, or a lighter blue colour with a scissor cut as colormyworld suggested.

Thanks again!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
If you like pink the color on this one looks worth pursuing.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think lighter colors look better in EC.

My favorite in emerald cut is aqua - as long as it''s a nice blue color.

I also like yellow beryl, blue topaz and tanzanite.

sera

Ideal_Rock
ohno.gif
All of those are GORGEOUS!!! That sapphire is so cool! I think my favorites are the zircon, tsavorite and golden tourmaline.
im%20in%20luuuurve.gif

tracytang983

Rough_Rock
I think lighter colors look better in EC.
I AGREE WITH IT .

MY favorable is blue topaz ,Amethyst .I love simple elegant style ring.

GA0202.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think blue topaz can look quite lively in an EC.

cmsbltopaz01.JPG

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
these are all great suggestions and have given me tonnes of food for thought. I am trolling various posts on PS and came accross a reference to wild fish gems. I went and looked and saw this stone that I am digging the look of, but it may be a bit dark still. it is a badakshan spinel

interestingspinel1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry dreamer. As I logged off PS for the night, I realized my mistake in not providing a link to the last few gemstones. The vendor deserves to be named: Brad Payne of www.thegemtrader.com

If you don''t stictly need an EC but just a rectangular cut, I also like barion cuts because it brings out a lot of sparkle and liveliness to the gemstone.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks again Chrono you have been so helpful. I am not married to step cuts, but definitely need a cut that will look great with a step cut, so it needs the same rectangular shape, and also probably needs to have longer, more angular facets, to match the steps. I''m not familiar with a "barion cut". Do you have an example by any chance? What cuts do you think will compliment a step cut?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to show you the effect the different cuts:
All these are from Dan Stair of www.customgemstones.com

A regular emerald cut rhodolite garnet.

EC Rhodolite.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results