shape
carat
color
clarity

Best engagement setting for S+ color diamond

insomniac

Rough_Rock
Hi all! New to the forum so I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this (did some searches and similar posts were all here).

I recently inherited a very beautiful round 1.2 karat vvs1 hearts and arrows cut diamond from my uncle who recently passed away and was looking to use it to make an engagement ring for my girlfriend. The only thing stopping me is the color which is past S but not yet fancy yellow. I was hoping you guys could give me some examples/input on what would look good with a diamond of this color.

I know my girlfriend doesn't want yellow gold and I've had a few jewelers agree that the stone is best set somewhere outside yellow gold that is going to highlight the color since it really is a beautiful diamond.

Is this something that is going to look good in a simple 4 prong platinum Tiffany style solitare setting? Any input is appreciated!

Thanks in advance guys, looking forward to hearing any opinions/pics if you have them!

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
I would consider white gold as a strong contender for this color. Perhaps even rose gold. I'll try to find some inspiration pics, but may take a while. I'm intrigued by it though as I love the very light yellow stones myself.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
insomniac|1454013117|3983132 said:
I know my girlfriend doesn't want yellow gold

Do you know for sure she wants an S-colored diamond?

If so, wonderful.
If you're not sure, find out.
Don't surprise her with it.

I've been reading PS over 10 years.
Often I read how much people LOVE these colors. (I love them too, especially when well cut :love: )

However I've also read accounts of brides not liking them ... or perhaps worse, liking them but being mortified when others comment on the yellow color in a negative way.
... "Why is it so yellow?" said with a scrinched up nose and furrowed brow.

Please make sure that not only does she like the S color but ALSO that she is aware that such rude comments may come from ignorant people.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree don't surprise her with it.

I'd set it in a white metal halo. But with a yellow "cup" and bezel around the stone.

So basically ignore the actual shank design and the fact that this is a cushion. But this is what I mean. I just couldn't find a round version of it.

lvs591_three_qrtr.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Or with just the cup and no bezel. The cup enhances the diamond's color. But the ring faces up white except for the prongs.

cup_yellow.jpg

b-p12559.jpg

cup_yellow1.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's another version of it.

I would recommend Steven Kirsch for this.

5530c362f9b81040fb91dd2f0b71ee71.jpg

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
I love Gypsy's inspiration pics, especially the first picture with no bezel. That way the diamond color looks intentional in the setting.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
would love to see pictures of the diamond! Great idea from Gypsy with the gold cup and prongs, what a gorgeous look! :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With S color and below, I agree with Gypsy that enhancing the yellow is your very best option. It is going to look dingy in color just setting it in a white metal setting. A yellow gold bezel and cup around the stone and platinum for the halo and ring is my vote.

Can we see the GIA report numbers?

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rose gold!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ringo865|1454100898|3983721 said:
Jewels by Grace has this beauty I've been clocking on.

Urban Dictionary has no explanation ...

What does 'clocking on' mean?
Does it have something to do with time?

screen_shot_2016-01-29_at_4.png

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lol.
:errrr:
I meant that I have been "clicking on" that link on Grace's page.

But I like that you thought it was some kinda slang :)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, sorry.
Thanks.

I'm old and out of it.
I don't even text.
Many of today's terms go right over my head. :oops:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

insomniac

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the recommendation everyone! I've got tons of new ideas to go on. I went to my local jeweler today and tried the stone out in some settings based on what was said here and, I've gotta say, it looks really really good.

http://imgur .com/a/1u9ui

Here are some photos I took with my phone camera, it doesn't really do the stone justice but you can get a feel for the stone and how it looks. The second and third picture are probably the best representation of the color, in a setting it looks much darker in the pictures but in person it really defines it more and makes it look even better (But it's the point of putting it with other diamonds right?! =) make it more defined)

and Kenny, she appreciates colored stones and this is not an issue. (thanks for the concern though!)

As for a GIA cert, I know it has been appraised a few times and I would love to get it done but since I need to get a ring made before I leave back to China in 2 1/2 weeks, It's not a possibility.

Again, thank you for everyone's input! To go further, What is everyone's opinion on the simple french pave setting (no halo) vs halo? The band on the setting ringo recommended at jewels by grace looks really nice, better than the tapered look on the one I saw at my local jeweler.

edit: I don't want to overstep my boundaries but with 30 images I think it's better off linking to imgur

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
1. Did you make sure to check with her that she would like a yellow stone? That's the most important thing. My MIL offered her stone to my husband. But I didn't want it. I wanted a square stone and hers was round. Your lady's preferences matter the most.

2. Hosting site is not working. You have to upload pictures directly to PS.
3. I like a pave shank. But I really do think you need a yellow gold cup.

I have an idea. See the picture below. You can do the shank in platinum. Do the basket as a yellow gold cup. But have the petals from top view be platinum. So it would be two tone from the side. Give you the look of a solitaire. And face up it would be all white.

4e44ace0747afe7072d6325e1835d0d9.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Alternately you could do one of these two settings.

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/erika-winters-bridal/grace-solitaire-engagement-ring-setting#.Vqw8ulKrJLM With a yellow gold head and a platinum shank. Would be enough of a cup to give color to the center stone.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-sleek-and-simple-solitaire-by-owd-mark-t.206524/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-sleek-and-simple-solitaire-by-owd-mark-t.206524/[/URL] Or this. With a yellow gold head and platinum shank.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
insomniac|1454127959|3983920 said:
edit: I don't want to overstep my boundaries but with 30 images I think it's better off linking to imgur

Glad she likes the stone.

BTW, we are not allowed to link to externally-hosted pics.
Reason: People delete them and PS is left with empty and worthless links.

That's why PS requires we upload pics here.
Then (after the 45 minutes during which you can edit or delete them) they are safely preserved here forever, which is good for PS.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so I saw the pictures. REALLY PRETTY STONE.

The color reminds me of a yellow sapphire. I would DEFINITELY encourage you to cup that. It's literally the perfect color for a cup setting.

That said. What does you lady want in terms of style. She'll be wearing it. Why don't you show her some setting options posted here and see what she thinks?

I'd halo it in a heartbeat if you live in a metro area where large bling is common like LA, SF, NY, Austin, Houston, Dallas. If you are somewhere more 'modest' then it might be a good idea to consider a three stone. Center stone with a yellow gold cup and bright bright white D-E-F sidestones for a contrast. I'd probably go with rounds. LIke this one, modified with a yellow gold cup for the center stone: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/molly-18k-white-gold-5968w18

If she likes this look, you could do a white setting and sidestone metal. And a yellow gold bezel around the center stone. http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/madisyn-18k-yellow-gold-5954y18

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Two and a half weeks!!!

That's too soon. You gotta get moving. Seriously.

Best thing to do is put a bunch of the pictures in here together in one PP presentation. And then flip through it with her. Have her give you one of three answers for each picture you show her. Yes, No, maybe.

And get it done! Most settings that are made for your stone will take longer than 2 weeks!

insomniac

Rough_Rock
Ok I'll upload the photos to ps. Most of the local jewelers have said unless I'm looking for something very complex it wont take more than 10 days (but I agree, I need to get going on it).

We live in Shanghai china so bling doesn't hurt

fullsizerender_10.jpg

_36278.jpg

img_10561.jpg

img_10562.jpg

insomniac

Rough_Rock
Pic 2&3 along with the jewels by grace are my #1 samples now

img_10567.jpg

img_10568.jpg

img_0273.jpg

img_10569.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, then I'd go for a halo in platinum. With a yellow gold cup. At a VERY good jeweler. Who specializes in high quality pave that is NOT cast, if you have the budget for it.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a very warm diamond that looks very much like gliterata's diamond in thecat's link. I think my diamond's color might be just a touch less saturated than yours, Insomniac. My diamond is currently set in a fairly heavy setting made of unplated white gold - and I do like it in the white gold. It lets the diamond be what it is - a very tinted diamond, but not a yellow diamond. The thing is that the tint varies with the light - sometimes it's barely noticeable, sometimes it looks bronzy and sometimes it has almost a gray-green cast. It's current setting is too clunky for my taste and I'm considering re-setting it in yellow gold to bring out the color, but I'm also considering keeping it in white gold so I can continue to see all the variations of color rather than forcing the yellow aspects.

I know you need an answer rather than musings, but I just wanted to point out that there's more than one way to look at this question.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Nice thoughts throughout this thread. I am sure you'll end up with something you both love.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohh, pretty color! 100% needs a halo to bring out the color, though. But it needs a halo that fits...no gap between the stone and halo. I would at least have yellow gold lining the inside of the halo, in the gallery, and for the prongs. My only problem with a full cup is if you can't access the pavilion of the stone with a brush to clean it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results