shape
carat
color
clarity

Best e-ring *style* for short fingers?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey LLJsmom - thanks so much for posting these! Your rings are crazy gorgeous. (your solitaire taunts me in my dreams!) Your fingers definitely look longer than mine (here's what my cushion looked like on me 6 years ago, when my ring size was more like 3.5-3.75) -- you can pull off a stack beautifully!! And without sausage fingers which is what happens if I try to stack now. I feel that on a smaller hand, stacked bands distract more from the main diamond than they would on a hand with longer fingers. It's a big look on small hands, but a lot of people totally pull it off in a way that I couldn't -- you and Nala, for example. Stacks look amazing on you guys! Your 3-ring is stunning -- what are the stats of the stones? And what's your ring size?

A rectangular EC is my "would cut off my right arm" dream ring. An oval is right behind that. One can dream!!!!

The three stone is not mine. I tried it on at Tiffany. 2.5 center plus 1.25 sides. Too much ring for me. :). I would someday love to get a substantial 3 stone though. I am a size 4.5 that spins. I still think you can wear a big ering and bands provided the bands are skinny.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find it interesting that so many think a 3 stone makes their short fingers look nice... I have a CZ 3 stone that looks good on my hand, but only because the center is way smaller than my current solitaire. The CZ 3 stone looks to have about a 1.8-2.0 center (about 7.8 -8 mm) and has proportions in between the 62% and 70% photos ratio shown in the right colums . I think the reason it looks so nice is because the stones are smaller... IDK??

3 Stone Proportions Chart.jpg

I had been thinking about going 3 stone with my current ring, but I'm not sure it would look good, as my center is 9.8 mm, so I would have to go with much smaller sides (like 4.5-5 mm) for it to work on my hand! I'd also have to be careful to have the proper angles for the sides.

P.S. If anyone just loves to photoshop, I'm open to three stone renderings on my finger! ;-)
DK Wire Band _plat_1.jpg DK Wire Band _plat_2.jpg DK Wire Band _plat_3.jpg

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I struggle with stacks too because my fingers are short and I have small hands.

What I find works best, is to do stacks that that have ‘space’ in them. A solid wall of bling sadly just doesn’t look good. But if there’s negative space I’m the designs, it seems to work wonders!

I’m quite interested in this thread.... and I’m glad to see 3 stone so highly recommended because if I ever get a new big ring, that’s totally what I’m going for!

For stacking, this is what I mean by styles with negative space:

8C987215-1D00-4FCF-9FC9-36C93F67E802.jpeg 4280710B-9E98-410F-8466-D57CE11EAB3B.jpeg
I think you are totally correct and along with the negative detail, if your stack isn’t just straight across but also has elements that extend vertically along the finger, it helps with short fingers.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My fingers are shorter below the knuckle than above, so I feel your pain! I can only wear one band with an e-ring. I think any shape diamond looks fine. To me it is more abput having the bands and e-ring not being too wide. What's funny is that wintotty has her 4 ct AVC in a solitaire, and I think she is resetting into a halo, while you are wanting to go from a halo to a design without halo! I kind of think we just desire a change sometime!

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
1020181500.jpg

I tried on this marquise this weekend, and if short fingered girls are looking for a flattering look, this is it. It looked great on my hand, and you can see my fingers are legitimately short (as is the rest of me) and I have a high web between my middle and ring finger, not leaving much room for metal.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have small hands and short chubby fingers lol. My 5 stone band works for me. Shows with some solitaire styles too for comparison. 6B6EB736-5F8A-43A9-BC05-47208A921EDF.jpeg BE18B5BE-EC3F-4CC8-920C-049D9DD6C92F.jpeg 52C9CBFC-CEE2-45F2-91C1-5124D6AF0211.jpeg
B500FCDB-B84D-4DC9-9473-B5437D939DE1.jpeg

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh! I am definitely in the short fingers / small hands club and I've just concluded ridiculous amounts of time and extensive research over years !! what ring style looks best, lol! For me, anyway - my fingers are not only short, they're not slender either. I've tried solitaires of various sizes and shapes, bands stacked with a solitaire, just bands, three-stones. I think some decent finger coverage and tapering to widest at the center works best. So a three stone with smaller sides, or a solitaire in a setting that has some width where it meets the stone. Of course when you have a nice big honkin stone, then just about any ring looks good! But I had a 6mm OEC I'd been looking to re-set for years. I was just about to go custom and get a super low antique looking thin milgrain bezel setting, but last minute I realized with the smaller size of my stone that I wouldn't love it on my finger (now if I had a nice large elongated cushion, that would be my dream setting!).. so I kept searching and finally found a wider tapered setting, and I'm in love! I'm wearing it alone mostly and hope to find a whisper thin band to go with it at some point. Here are pics of my new reset plus pics of the various styles I've tried :) I'm a size 6.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh! I am definitely in the short fingers / small hands club and I've just concluded ridiculous amounts of time and extensive research over years !! what ring style looks best, lol! For me, anyway - my fingers are not only short, they're not slender either. I've tried solitaires of various sizes and shapes, bands stacked with a solitaire, just bands, three-stones. I think some decent finger coverage and tapering to widest at the center works best. So a three stone with smaller sides, or a solitaire in a setting that has some width where it meets the stone. Of course when you have a nice big honkin stone, then just about any ring looks good! But I had a 6mm OEC I'd been looking to re-set for years. I was just about to go custom and get a super low antique looking thin milgrain bezel setting, but last minute I realized with the smaller size of my stone that I wouldn't love it on my finger (now if I had a nice large elongated cushion, that would be my dream setting!).. so I kept searching and finally found a wider tapered setting, and I'm in love! I'm wearing it alone mostly and hope to find a whisper thin band to go with it at some point. Here are pics of my new reset plus pics of the various styles I've tried :) I'm a size 6.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
You have very pretty and cute hands and I think all those rings looked great on you. No joke. From a stacking stand point you kinda run out of room when you have 3 bands or more, but is that a bad thing? I say if you love to stack, keep going until bending your finger becomes a problem. :mrgreen2: All of it looks fabulous on you.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ended up with a RB but I thought the ovals were the most flattering....I tried the one below and a 3 stone oval and they both had a lengthening effect (I have a 6.5 ring finger). I envy the could-be hand models on this board... But get the ring you want though and don't worry about your fingers, and e2the3rd they all look great on you as LLJsmom said! =)

20170805_143904 (2).jpg

Last edited:

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
@LLJsmom Thank you!! I realize I am way too particular and most people (everyone I know) would think, huh?? Sadly I had spent years not even wearing my oec in its previous perfectly lovely (but somehow missing something, in my mind) setting, so I had to get this new one just right for my critical self! I agree about stacking. I do wear my solitaire and two bands much of the time even though they barely fit in the space, I love them!

You have very pretty and cute hands and I think all those rings looked great on you. No joke. From a stacking stand point you kinda run out of room when you have 3 bands or more, but is that a bad thing? I say if you love to stack, keep going until bending your finger becomes a problem. :mrgreen2: All of it looks fabulous on you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results