carat
color
clarity

Best e-ring *style* for short fingers?

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi guys!

We have lots of threads on the best diamond shapes and carat weights for short fingers, but I couldn't find one for ring STYLES. For those of you in the short fingers club, which engagement/wedding ring styles do you favor, and why? Please feel free to share photos!!

- Solitaire
- Halo
- 3 stone
- Cluster
- Bezel
- Band
- Stacked bands or rings
- Any other style you can think of!

I'm planning a re-set of my cushion diamond in 2019 and have honed in on a style that I *think* will look nice on me, but I'd love to hear what others think as well! This question has become front of mind for me as I've aged and experienced not-so-cute finger changes. I'm much more sensitive now to how styles look ON ME, whereas before I didn't really think about that and focused only on how the ring itself looks.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts! :geek2:
Kristy

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @KristyDarling, how exciting and I cannot wait to see your finished ring! I have the opposite problem with fingers that are too long but I imagine 3 stone rings would look lovely on shorter fingers. Since a 3 stone is wider horizontally than vertically I think it would look great on shorter fingers. And solitaires look lovely on almost everyone IMO. Short fingers, long fingers medium fingers.:sun:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have short fingers, and I've found that any style (or cut) that is elongated or more rounded looks best on me. I don't like square cushions or princess cuts. Step cuts are okay, as long as they have clipped corners and/or are elongated... rounds, ovals, pears, and MQ shapes look best on my hand.

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
C48B6FFE-F7F2-408F-93BD-C78BB0225BC3.png 2601E7DE-38DB-46B8-B3DB-CB54C7E94B42.png 4CF85205-3135-44CD-93B1-D57500AF1BFA.png I hope it’s OK to post all these images!

Ooh you’ve got a lovely Cushion Cut...I love those...and they’re on my wish list!
I’ve got short stubby fingers with slightly large knuckles (!) so I know how you feel, somethings I love the look of just don’t look right on me!

If it was mine I’d set it with a series of tapered French Cut side stones...gorgeous style of setting...have a look at Leon Mege “Mon Cheri” or Victor Canera’s “Sophia” as these are both versions of this style...one of my favourites I’ll try and post some photos.
Acinom has a stunning ring with these as sides.

Maybe a Diamond set split shank...or to be different it could be set with coloured stones.

If I were you I’d go and try on as many different styles as you can that would work with your Cushion, as you never know how it will look until you try.

I can’t wait to see what you chose, how exciting!

Good Luck and Happy shopping

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
60B609ED-2D4E-49FF-A53E-D5375A455F1D.jpeg 644F149A-53F2-4482-920A-63EA3A6C6F2C.jpeg I’m pretty sure that I’ve ruled out a solitaire on my short finger bc part of the appeal of a solo, to me, is stacking. And I have found that my short fingers can’t handle more than 2 bands of stacking. So what I have found is that full finger coverage or rings that span across my finger really look good on me. I think that’s why I gravitate to halos or very ornate, antique settings. I haven’t done a 3 stone in a while, but I think that would help a short finger as well. My issue with a 3 stone would once again be finding a band that wouldn’t shrink my finger when stacked. So that’s my take. Funny. As I write this, I realize that my current set is quite contrary to what I just wrote. lol.

Last edited:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have to agree that elongated shapes, with clipped, or softened corners would help to make your finger look slender & longer than they actually are. Emerald Cut, Pear, Radiant, Elongated Cushion, Antique Cushion, Oval, even a square cut Emerald, or Marquise.
A split shank setting, or a 3 stone, where the center stone is still the center of attention would be my recommendation, to compliment a small or short hand. Something that will draw attention away from the sides of your finger & draw focus to the center of your finger will create the illusion of long, slender fingers.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My fingers are short and I think it is why I love the three stone setting so much. As Nala said above, full finger coverage across the finger somehow looks better than a solitaire setting on a short finger. You would almost think it would be the opposite but I totally agree with her.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course your diamond is already humongous so it’s not like you need side to side finger coverage like you’d get with a three stone.

metro

Brilliant_Rock
I have small hands with short fingers. My finger size is a 3, but I've recently gained some weight so had my rings sized up to a 4 o_O. I think thinner bands look nice on small fingers. I have a dainty pave eternity band that really shines on my smaller hands. I also have a 3mm band, which I think looks nice too - but I do prefer the dainty pave band. It's all about proportion. When I wear stacked bands, 2 look best. 3 stacked bands are too wide and emphasis the shortness of my fingers, I think.

I LOVE the look of an elongated stone on my finger! Here's some pics of my rings and some fancy shaped stones I've tried on recently to get an idea of what shape I want for an upgrade.
Rings.JPG

Tryon.JPG

small.jpg

Viola

Shiny_Rock
I’m a size 4,25-4,5 with short fingers and I’ve come to realize that bands look the best on my finger (pref with a profile no higher than 1,5mm ish). I’ve tried sooo many styles of solitaires and different ornate settings (and my e-ring ofcourse which is a rb flanked with baguettes) that I completely adore, but I can’t seem to like the look on my fingers. That sucks, as I had planned to upgrade in a year or two, and I don’t even wear my e-ring.

Something happens when I wear a ring with a main stone, I can’t for sure say it’s the shortness of my fingers that ruin it for me, but it’s not a good look on me. Something I’ve accepted now.;(

Ps IF I were to choose a ring with a main stone, it would probably be a solitaire with max a 2 mm shank and a low profile of the ring either a round or a larger oval to elongate my finger. Worn with a 1,5-2mm matching plain band. That’s the look that annoys me the least on my hand.:shock:

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @KristyDarling - i haven’t gone back to look at your pictures but I think my fingers are short. I think my hand is on the small side. My 13 year old daughter has hands with longer fingers than mine. There is not much length between my palm and my knuckles. To be honest though, I think shorter fingers and small hands are cute. I don’t think it looks bad if your rings pretty much cover that whole section of your finger. Sometimes I don’t like to stack because the bands distract my eye from my ering. But if it wasn’t for that I would stack all day.

Here are some pictures of different rings on my fingers. The solitaire is most flattering I think. I like the three stone for bling factor alone.

FED86EA7-23EB-47F8-A690-EB51743BB047.jpeg 7CF8CFD9-9F8D-498A-A6FF-4BA4EA0E7236.jpeg didf C00A3AFA-9DFB-4AFE-97DB-1ADFCFF9CB06.jpeg
04706159-0CDE-45CD-BAEF-AFD4F92A235A.jpeg 2549D38F-E16E-4BCF-AFE3-558928C3F689.jpeg B88E0941-0A66-46F8-A6EB-5F9B68DF074A.jpeg 34306791-BECC-411D-A59D-34C7F84C8BB2.jpeg

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @KristyDarling, how exciting and I cannot wait to see your finished ring! I have the opposite problem with fingers that are too long but I imagine 3 stone rings would look lovely on shorter fingers. Since a 3 stone is wider horizontally than vertically I think it would look great on shorter fingers. And solitaires look lovely on almost everyone IMO. Short fingers, long fingers medium fingers.:sun:
Hiya Missy! IMHO, there's no such thing as fingers that are too long! That's the stuff of hand models. You can pull off any style ring and stack to your heart's content, lucky you! =)2 I totally agree with your thoughts on 3-stones and solitaires being universally flattering!

I have short fingers, and I've found that any style (or cut) that is elongated or more rounded looks best on me. I don't like square cushions or princess cuts. Step cuts are okay, as long as they have clipped corners and/or are elongated... rounds, ovals, pears, and MQ shapes look best on my hand.
Hi, Msop04! Yes, I've found that I like the look of my elongated cushion and round stones on me best. The only thing is that with my cushion, I can't stack it with more than one (thin) band because it takes up too much real estate. :rolleyes:

C48B6FFE-F7F2-408F-93BD-C78BB0225BC3.png 2601E7DE-38DB-46B8-B3DB-CB54C7E94B42.png 4CF85205-3135-44CD-93B1-D57500AF1BFA.png I hope it’s OK to post all these images!

Ooh you’ve got a lovely Cushion Cut...I love those...and they’re on my wish list!
I’ve got short stubby fingers with slightly large knuckles (!) so I know how you feel, somethings I love the look of just don’t look right on me!

If it was mine I’d set it with a series of tapered French Cut side stones...gorgeous style of setting...have a look at Leon Mege “Mon Cheri” or Victor Canera’s “Sophia” as these are both versions of this style...one of my favourites I’ll try and post some photos.
Acinom has a stunning ring with these as sides.

Maybe a Diamond set split shank...or to be different it could be set with coloured stones.

If I were you I’d go and try on as many different styles as you can that would work with your Cushion, as you never know how it will look until you try.

I can’t wait to see what you chose, how exciting!

Good Luck and Happy shopping
Thanks, Hounddog! I have short 'n stubbies too, but my knuckles were always fine until just this past spring/summer when they suddenly GREW over the span of a few months, to the point where I had to get all my rings sized up. :shock: And the skin between my lower two knuckles also puffed up permanently BUT ONLY ON MY LEFT RING FINGER. My theory is that as I've reached my mid-40s, the skin there no longer bounces back after repeatedly putting on/taking off my wedding rings every day. And now I have a permanently puffy ring finger. Awesome. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I love the rings you posted! I do need to try on settings with tapered sidestones - in all these years I can't recall ever having tried any on! Thanks so much for posting those photos!

mol42

Shiny_Rock
Hi @KristyDarling
I’m so excited to see your cushion and how you set it!
I’m short and my fingers match my height lol! For me, I like shanks that are equal or less than 2mm. I’ve only had solitaire and 3 stone styles but prefer the solitaire on my hand (though 3 stones styles truly looks beautiful on other “short” hands, as evidenced by the pictures above.)
I also find that keeping my nails a bit longer than my nail bed and painting them in a nude color makes my fingers look longer.:wavey:

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have short fingers and I feel your pain.

I agree with everyone that said elongated shapes look best. I'm a die hard round girl though so I always look for a setting that is a flattering shape. The setting my AVR is in is a cathedral solitaire (in avatar) and I wear it with a diamond band and it's not the best look for my finger, because it's a straight, flat edge. I love it for the sparkles though. I've noticed that over the years I gravitate towards settings that have an East/West oval shape and those look better IMHO.

I never thought about it before this thread, but I think my three stone looks nice on my fingers. It gives the illusion of edge to edge bling but isn't a straight, flat edge across my finger.

(Top pic is the one I think looks least flattering on my finger)
IMG_0215.jpg

The setting below has split prongs giving it a more E/W oval shape.

IMG_5610 - Copy.jpg

Last pic is my new baby and the setting has a tiny split shank and is a slight EW oval shape too. (pardon the terrible mani)
IMG_2941_small.jpg

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
60B609ED-2D4E-49FF-A53E-D5375A455F1D.jpeg 644F149A-53F2-4482-920A-63EA3A6C6F2C.jpeg I’m pretty sure that I’ve ruled out a solitaire on my short finger bc part of the appeal of a solo, to me, is stacking. And I have found that my short fingers can’t handle more than 2 bands of stacking. So what I have found is that full finger coverage or rings that span across my finger really look good on me. I think that’s why I gravitate to halos or very ornate, antique settings. I haven’t done a 3 stone in a while, but I think that would help a short finger as well. My issue with a 3 stone would once again be finding a band that wouldn’t shrink my finger when stacked. So that’s my take. Funny. As I write this, I realize that my current set is quite contrary to what I just wrote. lol.
Good points! I love, LOVE looking at photos of people's stacks, but when I try to replicate it, it's awkward because it just looks chaotic and crowded on my short finger. Especially now that my ring finger is puffier. So I'll be doing this re-set *without* stacking in mind. I'll wear a thin wedding band with it, and that's it.

I would have to agree that elongated shapes, with clipped, or softened corners would help to make your finger look slender & longer than they actually are. Emerald Cut, Pear, Radiant, Elongated Cushion, Antique Cushion, Oval, even a square cut Emerald, or Marquise.
A split shank setting, or a 3 stone, where the center stone is still the center of attention would be my recommendation, to compliment a small or short hand. Something that will draw attention away from the sides of your finger & draw focus to the center of your finger will create the illusion of long, slender fingers.
Oh, it would be my DREAM to have an emerald cut! :kiss2: My dream EC is a 4-carat center with trap sides (it'll never happen).

My fingers are short and I think it is why I love the three stone setting so much. As Nala said above, full finger coverage across the finger somehow looks better than a solitaire setting on a short finger. You would almost think it would be the opposite but I totally agree with her.
I totally agree, too. I have a (larger) solitaire and a 3-stone with smaller diamonds, and while I LOVE my solitaire and wear it almost every day, the 3-stone masks my finger puffiness better...because of the left-to-right coverage I think.

Of course your diamond is already humongous so it’s not like you need side to side finger coverage like you’d get with a three stone.
Haha, definitely true that I don't "need" side to side coverage. But wall to wall sparkle sure is nice! :mrgreen:

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have small hands with short fingers. My finger size is a 3, but I've recently gained some weight so had my rings sized up to a 4 o_O. I think thinner bands look nice on small fingers. I have a dainty pave eternity band that really shines on my smaller hands. I also have a 3mm band, which I think looks nice too - but I do prefer the dainty pave band. It's all about proportion. When I wear stacked bands, 2 look best. 3 stacked bands are too wide and emphasis the shortness of my fingers, I think.

I LOVE the look of an elongated stone on my finger! Here's some pics of my rings and some fancy shaped stones I've tried on recently to get an idea of what shape I want for an upgrade.
Rings.JPG

Tryon.JPG

small.jpg
Hi Metro! Your photos are a super-helpful visual aid!! I used to be a 3.5-3.75 but am now a 4.25-4.5 due to knuckle growth and a permanently puffed up ring finger, so your photos are very applicable to me. I agree that the thin pave band is uber-flattering on your hand! On the rare occasion that I stack, I can wear at most 2 THIN bands with my e-ring. But even then it still looks odd to my eyes. I love looking at the stack of the day thread because stacked pieces look so much better on everyone else!

What shape and setting are you gravitating toward for your upgrade? How exciting!! :dance:

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have short fingers, and I think a solitaire in an elongated cut looks best on me. Stacking bands are a serious no go. That said, I'll chose what I like over what flatters my fingers.
Choosing what I like over what was flattering worked for me for a looong time - up until this year - but now that my hand suddenly looks so different, I'm finding that the reverse is becoming true for me. I used to enjoy stacking 3+ rings but now it just looks awkward on me. Which is sad because I looove the stacked look!!!

Ovals and pears for my fingers ;-)
A honkin' oval is on my list! So flattering to a small hand! But sadly that oval will never come off my list. I'll just have to ogle them on other people!

I’m a size 4,25-4,5 with short fingers and I’ve come to realize that bands look the best on my finger (pref with a profile no higher than 1,5mm ish). I’ve tried sooo many styles of solitaires and different ornate settings (and my e-ring ofcourse which is a rb flanked with baguettes) that I completely adore, but I can’t seem to like the look on my fingers. That sucks, as I had planned to upgrade in a year or two, and I don’t even wear my e-ring.

Something happens when I wear a ring with a main stone, I can’t for sure say it’s the shortness of my fingers that ruin it for me, but it’s not a good look on me. Something I’ve accepted now.;(

Ps IF I were to choose a ring with a main stone, it would probably be a solitaire with max a 2 mm shank and a low profile of the ring either a round or a larger oval to elongate my finger. Worn with a 1,5-2mm matching plain band. That’s the look that annoys me the least on my hand.:shock:
Same ring size, same boat! But try to keep your mind open to rings with a main stone! Even though you've tried tons of settings, maybe it's a numbers game and you just haven't come across the right one yet. I agree that thinner shanks look best on a small hand. Here's a link to my solitaire setting, which I feel is flattering despite my short fingers. I had asked for the thinnest possible knife-edge shank. (Disclaimer: The photos are 4 years old, before my finger grew and puffed up to its current size!)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@KristyDarling I hear you about knuckle issues. But I have always had big knuckles and that doesn’t help. It makes the ring section of your finger look even shorter. My ring size is 4-4.25. I need a 4.5 to get it over my knuckles. So constant spinning is something I have learned to live with.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @KristyDarling - i haven’t gone back to look at your pictures but I think my fingers are short. I think my hand is on the small side. My 13 year old daughter has hands with longer fingers than mine. There is not much length between my palm and my knuckles. To be honest though, I think shorter fingers and small hands are cute. I don’t think it looks bad if your rings pretty much cover that whole section of your finger. Sometimes I don’t like to stack because the bands distract my eye from my ering. But if it wasn’t for that I would stack all day.

Here are some pictures of different rings on my fingers. The solitaire is most flattering I think. I like the three stone for bling factor alone.

FED86EA7-23EB-47F8-A690-EB51743BB047.jpeg 7CF8CFD9-9F8D-498A-A6FF-4BA4EA0E7236.jpeg didf C00A3AFA-9DFB-4AFE-97DB-1ADFCFF9CB06.jpeg
04706159-0CDE-45CD-BAEF-AFD4F92A235A.jpeg 2549D38F-E16E-4BCF-AFE3-558928C3F689.jpeg B88E0941-0A66-46F8-A6EB-5F9B68DF074A.jpeg 34306791-BECC-411D-A59D-34C7F84C8BB2.jpeg
Hey LLJsmom - thanks so much for posting these! Your rings are crazy gorgeous. (your solitaire taunts me in my dreams!) Your fingers definitely look longer than mine (here's what my cushion looked like on me 6 years ago, when my ring size was more like 3.5-3.75) -- you can pull off a stack beautifully!! And without sausage fingers which is what happens if I try to stack now. I feel that on a smaller hand, stacked bands distract more from the main diamond than they would on a hand with longer fingers. It's a big look on small hands, but a lot of people totally pull it off in a way that I couldn't -- you and Nala, for example. Stacks look amazing on you guys! Your 3-ring is stunning -- what are the stats of the stones? And what's your ring size?

Oval, pear marquise and an elongated EC would be my choice.

A rectangular EC is my "would cut off my right arm" dream ring. An oval is right behind that. One can dream!!!!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have short fingers and I feel your pain.

I agree with everyone that said elongated shapes look best. I'm a die hard round girl though so I always look for a setting that is a flattering shape. The setting my AVR is in is a cathedral solitaire (in avatar) and I wear it with a diamond band and it's not the best look for my finger, because it's a straight, flat edge. I love it for the sparkles though. I've noticed that over the years I gravitate towards settings that have an East/West oval shape and those look better IMHO.

I never thought about it before this thread, but I think my three stone looks nice on my fingers. It gives the illusion of edge to edge bling but isn't a straight, flat edge across my finger.

(Top pic is the one I think looks least flattering on my finger)
IMG_0215.jpg

The setting below has split prongs giving it a more E/W oval shape.

IMG_5610 - Copy.jpg

Last pic is my new baby and the setting has a tiny split shank and is a slight EW oval shape too. (pardon the terrible mani)
IMG_2941_small.jpg

I agree that an east-west oval shape looks good on shorter fingers. (same reason why a 3-stone is very high on my list of re-set possibilities). Your rings are beautiful and look super flattering on you...including your AVR solitaire! And wow, your new baby is stunning. The curved band is so cool, too! What size is that stone?

@KristyDarling I hear you about knuckle issues. But I have always had big knuckles and that doesn’t help. It makes the ring section of your finger look even shorter. My ring size is 4-4.25. I need a 4.5 to get it over my knuckles. So constant spinning is something I have learned to live with.
Now that my ring finger is all puffy :rolleyes:, I don't really have the spin problem anymore. I guess that's a good thing???

metro

Brilliant_Rock
@KristyDarling I'm glad the photos are a helpful visual aid. It wasn't until recently that I started seriously looking to upgrade my 1ct to a larger 1.70-2ct. While I was at a local jeweler having my rings polished, I played around with some fancy shapes. The one shape that really did it for me was the radiant! A radiant never appealed to me before, but dang, I love the look on my hand! So now, I'm considering a radiant as my upgrade. Unfortunately, I was playing with the 2.5ct range :confused2: which is out of my budget. Cushion shape was also very flattering.

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I struggle with stacks too because my fingers are short and I have small hands.

What I find works best, is to do stacks that that have ‘space’ in them. A solid wall of bling sadly just doesn’t look good. But if there’s negative space I’m the designs, it seems to work wonders!

I’m quite interested in this thread.... and I’m glad to see 3 stone so highly recommended because if I ever get a new big ring, that’s totally what I’m going for!

For stacking, this is what I mean by styles with negative space:

8C987215-1D00-4FCF-9FC9-36C93F67E802.jpeg 4280710B-9E98-410F-8466-D57CE11EAB3B.jpeg

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I struggle with stacks too because my fingers are short and I have small hands.

What I find works best, is to do stacks that that have ‘space’ in them. A solid wall of bling sadly just doesn’t look good. But if there’s negative space I’m the designs, it seems to work wonders!

I’m quite interested in this thread.... and I’m glad to see 3 stone so highly recommended because if I ever get a new big ring, that’s totally what I’m going for!

For stacking, this is what I mean by styles with negative space:

8C987215-1D00-4FCF-9FC9-36C93F67E802.jpeg 4280710B-9E98-410F-8466-D57CE11EAB3B.jpeg
YAAAAAASSSSS!!! You are totally on to something! When I stack 3 or more rings, it just overwhelms my hand and looks "too much." But in your pics, more skin is showing, and the effect is lightened and airier somehow! Are all of your bands by Kataoka? They're gorgeous, so ethereal!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As long as you stay away from thick bands and stack only the very thinnest rings, you should be fine. Ah, what it must be like to have small hands. I'll never know!

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They’re not actually! Only the crown band is from Kataoka :)

My pink tourmaline meridian ring is for Melanie Casey. The pale pink diamond pave was from Zina Tahiri on Etsy and the rose gold 9 stone band with each stone spaces a little apart was a recycling project David Klass completed for me recently. Prior to that it lived in my jewellery box as a never worn shared prong white gold band that was the wrong size and just uncomfortable.

Totally agree that delicate thin bands are the way to go with short fingers. I DO have my Norah which is massive, and I struggle with wearing and stacking her. BUT with the above method of incorporating ‘negative space’... it still looks like a LOT but it almost works :lol-2:

9181A046-9905-4622-908A-43EEA8EDB1CD.jpeg 2250F3D7-81BA-4728-A7A5-2E89D1D9264A.jpeg

ETA sorry for going a bit off topic. Stacking bands rather than ering styles here. But would LOVE to see 3 stone styles on ladies with a similar problem!

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results