shape
carat
color
clarity

Best cleaner for diamond ring that DOESN'T erode rhodium?

alongcat

Rough_Rock
Hey, I hope this is the right forum to post in. I was all set to buy some ammonia solution to soak my engagement ring in, until I read in several places that it erodes the white gold plating over time. Can anyone recommend another solution that is just as good but leaves my white gold intact?

Many many thanks :)

Q

Queenie60

Re: Best cleaner for diamond ring that DOESN'T erode rhodium

I would use Dawn dishwashing detergent and warm water. Soak the ring for a bit and then brush with a soft tooth brush. I bought a baby toothbrush with soft bristles so that I can get under and around the stones. This is probably the most gentle and effective way. :wavey:

alongcat

Rough_Rock

Super helpful, thanks =)

alongcat

Rough_Rock

OMG OMG OMG the isopropyl tip by kenny is amazing!!!! I happened to have some at home so thought I would try it, used a child's toothbrush (which will now be my diamond toothbrush) and as I had no compressed air I just blew hard on it and used cotton buds and then rinsed under cold water. The sparkle is UNBELIEVABLE. I had an idea it had gone a bit cloudy but wasn't sure if I had just gotten used to the sparkle and that was maybe why it wasn't as extraordinary as when I first got it.

I WAS WRONG. It is now so perfect I wanted to share this video with you all but it won't let me post videos - arrghh!

Oh well, you'll just have to take my word for it :)

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I wouldn't even rinse with water - just air dry, just in case your water has minerals :)
You could even blast with hair dryer on cold if you don't have a can of air.
I actually use a small water color brush to get under the nooks and crannies when I go the alcohol route.

Other times, I use a sonic cleaner with water nuked for 30 seconds, a squeeze of dish detergent and a few sprays of windex. I turn it on for a minute or so, pour it out, add more water nuked for 30 seconds, turn it on again, and then pat dry everything with a paper towel. I haven't had any issues with rhodium disappearing from my white gold jewelry, but I don't wear my jewelry too often, so I don't clean that often, either. :)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

alongcat|1458302768|4007336 said:
Hey, I hope this is the right forum to post in. I was all set to buy some ammonia solution to soak my engagement ring in, until I read in several places that it erodes the white gold plating over time. Can anyone recommend another solution that is just as good but leaves my white gold intact?

Many many thanks :)
I like Sparkle Sparkle for gold too, besides the Kenny method. It seems to help with keeping the rhodium on better than most commercial cleaners. My sister uses it on her rings (she's not allergic to gold or nickel) and a few friends with wg rings use it. All rave about it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results