shape
carat
color
clarity

Best bang for my buck. Is buying online worth all the hype?

BrilliantDummie

Rough_Rock
Hello, I am new to the web site but am armed with months of studying diamond qualities in hopes of making my first purchase for an e-ring.

I have been shopping everywhere from mall stores to online retailers. The setting my gf and I settled on is from Shane Co (http://www.shaneco.com/Jewelry-Catalog/Design-Your-Own/Rings/Engagement-Rings/Swirl/Product-Detail.aspx?X=41065254). My friends who have recently purcahsed their diamond from Shane Co have been raving about them and I have not seen any reviews to point me in the opposite direction. I have read a multitude of bad reviews, complaints, and comments but all date as far back as 2004 and were concentrated in the time before Shane Co went bankrupt and had to re-structure their company. From what I can see, after restructurnig, paying off debt successfully, and rebuilding their image most of the comments since 2010 have been nothing but positive, 5 star, happy customers (at least in my location of San Jose, California).

In addition, the selection of diamonds while limited, seems to be priced competitively at ShaneCo considering I stick to their selection of Ideal Cuts (not Shane Classics which really are overpriced). As such, is there really any reason why I should shy away from Shane Co (especially considering their great warranties, policies, and services if I buy the diamond with them)?

My budget is around $5500-$6500 but I am willing to go higher for better qulity. I am trying to get as close to 1.00ct as possible but it is ok if I am under. Also ok if I am over the 100 point mark =) Looking for something in G-H color, VS1-SI1 clarity, GIA certified Triple Excellent, good HCA score (below a 2.0), and smehow for all of this to be under some kind of warranty.

As example, at ShaneCo a 1.01ct Triple Excellent Ideal Cut (not Shane Classic), GIA certified, G color, SI2 clarity, 1.4 HCA score for $6300. The clarity is of some concern but if it is eye-clean, I do not see much on James Allen, BlueNile, or even PriceScope that is priced lower than $300-$400 below this price which is a marginal gain.

In the end, do I risk buying online for marginal savings but better selection or do I stick with ShaneCo, get their warranties and find the best option that suits my needs even if it is outside my criterion?

I appologize for the lengthiness of this post but diamond shopping is a daunting task =).
Thank you for any help or advice!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Best bang for my buck. Is buying online worth all the hy

Their warranties are really worthless, because you still have to have insurance on the ring to cover you for accidental loss, theft, or damage to the diamond. So I would take that out of the equation. You still need an insurance rider or jewelry insurance policy on the ring. Their warranties sometime require coming in to have the ring checked periodically which is really just a tactic to get you back into the store.

We have had Shane shoppers come here before and we were able to help them find better quality diamonds for a fair price. Rarely can a chain jeweler provide a good selection of ideal cut stones. The thing is, people are happy with their purchases because most know nothing about diamond quality at all. You can buy from them if you prefer, but having knowledge will at least help you get one of their better stones. They can label a stone ideal cut, but it does not mean it is. The stone you listed was GIA XXX, which is a great starting point, but we narrow those down first by using HCA, then an idealscope image to detect leakage, then the final selection with the eye.

I'll try to look later and see if I see any good stones for you.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am not sure what you consider a risk with online diamond buying. It's quite safe, saves money and you can find a generous selection of top-notch diamonds you might have trouble finding locally.
One question I would ask is if Shane Co. will let you trade in your diamond for another one when you want to upgrade, and if they have a buy-back policy.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade

BrilliantDummie|1401902519|3686448 said:
...if it is eye-clean...
This is the obvious question. Strictly graded SI diamonds may vary by a significant percentage in price, based on level of eye-clean. If you go to a volume-seller and sort (example) all available SI1-SI2 diamonds in a given range of weight, color and clarity the 'bargain prices' often accompany those which are not eye-clean.

Also know that within "same weight, color, clarity and cut" - the actual details of cut quality move price up or down in a major way behind industry doors. This is why diamondseeker2006 provided additional steps after "GIA EX." You've addressed this somewhat with the HCA requirement. But diamonds with the same listed proportions can vary in terms of actual numbers, since most data points are averages of multiple measurements which are further rounded. This means a report stating "EX" with 59T 40.8P 35.0C (HCA 1.9 and AGS0-1 candidate) might actually be a diamond with 59T 40.9P 35.2C (HCA 2.7 and AGS2-4 candidate). Beyond that is the level of cut-consistency, meaning how far individual facet measurements vary from the listed average, and 3D optical precision, which can influence the visibility of dispersion and scintillation. Scientific performance imagery such as Ideal-Scope and ASET help illuminate some of the hidden details.

To your main question: The short answer is Yes. Margins have shrunk - all-around - as a result of the transparency the internet brings to this generation of shoppers.

But, unlike comparing prices of something like consumer-electronics online, where a model number assures you of comparing identical products, diamond shopping is still complicated by a great deal of opacity. Comparing only strict labs (like GIA and AGSL) to each other is important. After that come major differences in cut-details which are not necessarily reflected on the report but are known by insiders. I've mentioned that clarity differences (notably SI-I grades) occur on a tremendous sliding scale. Getting more detailed, even color and fluorescence are on a sliding scale. This is not as dramatic as the SI-I grades...but can differ within same-category, such as low near-colorless down, and S/VS fluor.

Finally, no grading organization operates at 100% accuracy. It's why having a trusted expert on your side is good insurance for a spend of this size. Reputable sellers will vet their diamonds beyond the grading report, in all of the Cs. In the spirit of Jimmianne's post, these are usually the sellers offering strong trade-up or even cash-buyback guarantees: They are telling you that they'll proudly take that diamond back in the future, as they foresee it holding its value.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

No straight-up, buy-back policy, but Shane & Co's upgrade/credit for new purchase policies are better than what I think many of us (myself included) would have predicted. Turns out it's 100% credit for your original diamond, if the new stone is at least $1 more than the purchase price of the original.
To get credit on the original price of your mounting to be applied to a new ring, the new mounting needs to be at least twice the cost of the original mounting, so that's obviously most worthwhile for those who started off with a simple solitaire setting but later upgrade, say on an anniversary, to a halo or other more elaborate one.
http://www.shaneco.com/About/UpgradeTradeIn.htmx

Shane & Co's trade-up policy compares favorably with that of, e.g., these Internet vendors:
http://www.jamesallen.com/about-us/upgrade-policies.html
http://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/jewelry/lifetime-upgrade.htm
http://www.goodoldgold.com/About_Good_Old_Gold/Policies/
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/news/tag/lifetime-upgrade-policy/

Shane advises its customers that they should get insurance & unlike, e.g., Kay Jewelers, their Lifetime Warranty does not require you to use Shane for your routine cleanings and inspections:
http://www.shaneco.com/About/LifetimeGuarantee.htmx

ETA: I'm not personally endorsing Shane, have never been inside a Shane & Co. store & I don't know of anyone in my "real life" who has made a purchase from Shane since the corporate reorganization.
One thing to consider: aren't CA sales taxes high enough that purchasing from an Internet vendor outside of California will give you some nice savings?

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Well, what I have seen from Shane recently was very poor quality and although this stone does not sound like it (no guarantees based on these specs though), I would definitely have some of the fellow PSers suggest you stones from well trusted and reputable vendors who can provide pics, videos, images, etc. The most important thing is buying from something reputable and I am sure that the wonderful people here could make some really good suggestions OP, at least you could compare. While you may find a stone here that is a couple hundreds more (that is not necessarily the case), you would likely be getting a much better quality stone. I would caution you against an SI2 colorless for an engagement ring, not because all SI2s are bad, not at all they are not made equal but I would leave SI2s and I1s to those who are very well educated in diamonds or make sure you are buying from a vendor with the highest ethics with whom people here may have experience. At least consider other vendors and other options as well.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Don't ask me why I am responding today. But I am. Need the distraction I suspect.

Brilliant Dummy.

I live near a Shane Company and I have been in there. I was actually in there last month.

Here's the truth. People who know a fair amount about diamonds do not buy them from the Shane Company. So most of those rave reviews are from people who think buying a diamond is like going to a fast food restaurant and ordering a burger. They put less time into researching and buying a diamond than they will for their next car.

You can buy from them.
But I wouldn't recommend it.

If you want to shop in person, go to Joe Escobar in Campbell. Ask for Erik or Mia. They are a fabulous jeweler and will be able to find you something great. And they are close to you.

If you want to shop at the Shane Company. Do not go for any stone that is not GIA or AGS graded. If they tell you EGL or IGI is a good value and will save you money, they are lying (or ignorant). If they tell you their in house grading is as good as GIA. Or that their in house graders are GIA trained, it is meaningless (and ignorant).

Stick to GIA Excellent Cut Stone. Or AGS 0 or 1 stones only.

We can also post a cheat sheet for the actual number for round brilliants for you if you want. So at least you know what angles and specifications to look for.

I personally live on the peninsula, but I shop at Joe Escobar myself.

But most of the time I shop online. Because that really is where I get the most value.

We would be very happy to help you find something fantastic online, if that's what you want.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

BrilliantDummie|1401902519|3686448 said:
In the end, do I risk buying online for marginal savings but better selection or do I stick with ShaneCo, get their warranties and find the best option that suits my needs even if it is outside my criterion?

I appologize for the lengthiness of this post but diamond shopping is a daunting task =).
Thank you for any help or advice!

Not 'maybe', not 'possibly', but absolutely without a doubt, yes.

The posters above are far more experienced & educated technically than I, they know what they're talking about.

You are starting out, you can always upgrade later. (I started with a .75.)

But in this case the old adage holds true: buy the best cut your money can afford. & that is an AGS Ideal.

I would add: make sure your appraisal comes from an unbiased source. I also made that mistake. Oh the things we learn, wished I had found PS at the beginning, you're lucky, you have!! Best of luck with your search & decisions!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So here is what JA has in your price range/specs...there is a pricescope discount
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.01-carat-g-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-322695 need to find out if eye
clean
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.90-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-262283
again, make sure eye-clean

This is an AGS000 and if its eye-clean would be my choice...
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.12-carat-h-color-si2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-318569

Gabriel and co has a lot of pretty by-pass rings. I didnt see one exactly like the shane & co but take a look.

https://bridal.gabrielny.com/?customer=&page=1&display=grid&sortby=GF&perpage=102&attCategory%5BattCategoryER%5D=37&attStoneHeadshape%5BattStoneHeadshapeRD%5D=254&attStyle%5BattStyleBYPASS%5D=56

KenD

Rough_Rock

I don't know if Shaneco's in-store selection is the same as that found on their website.
I went to their website. Many of the diamonds had no certification listed. It was not possible to search by cut grade. Most of the stones appeared to be sub-par. There seemed to be none of the tools available that we use to help judge the quality of diamonds, except for certification reports.

This one might be an exception, in terms of quality:

6157793678d.jpg

Sorry.
:blackeye:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

KenD|1401918876|3686618 said:
I don't know if Shaneco's in-store selection is the same as that found on their website.
I went to their website. Many of the diamonds had no certification listed. It was not possible to search by cut grade. Most of the stones appeared to be sub-par. There seemed to be none of the tools available that we use to help judge the quality of diamonds, except for certification reports.

6157793678d.jpg

Sorry.

WHOA. Look at that clarity plot.

Yup. That's pretty much in line with what I saw in the store.

Like I said. Knowledgeable people do not shop at Shane Co.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Are we seeing the clarity plot of a black diamond?:)))

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade

MollyMalone|1401913248|3686556 said:
No straight-up, buy-back policy, but Shane & Co's upgrade/credit for new purchase policies are better than what I think many of us (myself included) would have predicted. Turns out it's 100% credit for your original diamond, if the new stone is at least $1 more than the purchase price of the original. To get credit on the original price of your mounting to be applied to a new ring, the new mounting needs to be at least twice the cost of the original mounting, so that's obviously most worthwhile for those who started off with a simple solitaire setting but later upgrade, say on an anniversary, to a halo or other more elaborate one.
http://www.shaneco.com/About/UpgradeTradeIn.htmx
Requiring the setting and doubling its original cost is smart business. As you point out, someone who buys a solitaire can upgrade to something far more elaborate, and might consider going for a more expensive diamond at the same time. Since more margin is made on the setting than the diamond it ensures the store some $ padding which can be applied to re-grading/re-stocking the diamond, or shifting it to another channel at no loss.

Gypsy said:
Wow. What clarity plot? I can't pull my eyes away from the AGS 7 proportions.

:shock:

Playing devil's advocate, this kind of sour-apple can appear near the bottom of many company barrels. Even reputable sellers can have flotsam in the stream, if they reproduce suppliers' data-feeds without filtering (which is why I strongly suggest filters).

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy|1401919105|3686620 said:

6157793678d.jpg

Sorry.

Yup. That's pretty much in line with what I saw in the store.

Like I said. Knowledgeable people do not shop at Shane Co.

Yikes! I guess this wouldnt meet DF's mind clean standard! :lol:

KenD

Rough_Rock

John Pollard|1401919846|3686630 said:
Gypsy said:
Wow. What clarity plot? I can't pull my eyes away from the AGS 7 proportions.

:shock:

Playing devil's advocate, this kind of sour-apple can appear near the bottom of many company barrels. Even reputable sellers can have flotsam in the stream, if they reproduce suppliers' data-feeds without filtering (which is why I strongly suggest filters).

You are probably correct, but I am not sure in this case. So many of their diamonds had no certifications listed, it is hard to do more than guess.
I did selected one of the worse diamonds listed that had a GIA certification. The plot shown is for a 1.22ct, Good, I, I3 for $3,315.

Playing around with their search tool, I did not see many results, even when setting very broad search criteria. For D->K, .75-> 6 ct, Round, IF->VS2, $400->$30,000, I got 375 results. Maybe, they are all in-house.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

KenD|1401922197|3686651 said:
Playing around with their search tool, I did not see many results, even when setting very broad search criteria. For D->K, .75-> 6 ct, Round, IF->VS2, $400->$30,000, I got 375 results. Maybe, they are all in-house.
Sellers mostly don’t do well with clarity below I-1 and/or color below about L-M. That’s why you aren’t seeing them in the database. They, and most other jewelers, can get them if you ask. In practice, rather few stones are submitted to GIA with those sorts of specs. Picky sorts of clients won’t buy them, and bargain shoppers are happier to get the same stone with a pedigree from another lab showing a better sounding grade.

BrilliantDummie

Rough_Rock

Thank you, everyone, for such promp replies. It is overwhelming the amount of information pouring in and I am very greatful for your knowledge and advice.

I have not condsidered insurance for the diamond and have not heard much about it. Where would I go to get started on that? The reason that ShaneCo is appealing is they will replace any diamond that they damage or break as long as you bought it from them. That applies to the setting as well if a prong breaks and the diamond falls out, they will fix the prong and replace the diamond. This kind of service sounds very apealing to me. Of course theft or accidental damage is not covered and that would require insurance, but it seems any fault of their own scraftsmanship would be covered. Could someone point me in the right direction for a good insurance company for a diamond and how I would go about insuring one?

Now, on the topic of the diamond itself. I have been trying to research as much as I can on different qualities and locking down as many of those properties as I could to make the search easier. Here is my wish list (most of is repeated from OP with additonal criterion):

Budget: $5500-$6500 (willing to go higher if necessary)
Certification: GIA (3X) or AGS(0/1)
Size: 0.95-1.05 ct
HCA: 2.0 or below
Color: F-H (G as sweet spot)
Clarity: VS1-SI1 (VS2 as sweet spot)
Girdle: thin to sl. thick (Medium as sweet spot)
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None

Of course I got my measurements for acceptable diamond criterion from other research so all of you know better than I what is a good diamond but the information I have gathered leads me to:
Table %: 53 - 57.5%
Depth %: 59.9 - 62.9%
Crown °: 33.7°- 35.8°
Crown %: 14.4 - 16.2%
Pavillion °: 40.5° - 41.5°
Pavillion %: 42.2 - 43.8%
Girdle: 0.7-1.7%
Culet: None-Pointed

I try to stick to these dimensions and HCA to weed out any possible bad performers. As my character permits me I try to be overly critical of anything that I spend this much money on and as I am buying for my future wife and not even for myself I am focused on doing this right the first time and being even more critical over every single detail. I guess what scares me most with online vendors is being unable to see the stone with my own eyes, feel it with my own hands, and the fact that a lot of it simply goes from wearhouse to buyer without much interest by the seller. I do not have a personal jeweler and so really do not trust any of them. I am greatful to Gypsy for recommending Joe Escobar and I will definitely go check them out.

In the end I guess I know generally what stone I want but have no confidence in myself to weed out the uglies, no confidence in any jeweler to help me out, no confidence in the internet vendor to not post up fake pictures or send me one stone instead of another as a mix up, etc, etc, and really only you guys and your wisdom to guide me forward =)

As an example, BlueNiles return policy of 30 days and you have to call them for a return code, shipping it youreself, etc. scares me since nobody is guaranteeing the diamond wont get lost or damaged on the return way to the vendor or that the vendor will even recieve it... and if they do recieve it, to apply it to the right account and acknowledge reciept to the right buyer.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Here at PS, there are PS sanctioned venders that are completely vetted. Don't worry.

I was in your shoes 2 years ago looking for an eternity riing. We purchased locally, & returned it. It was a nice ring, but it just didn't have the sparkle & wow. I knew it was with the diamonds, just didn't know 'what' it specifically was.

Then stumbled across this site. Talk about a ramp up, learned all sort of things, Asets, Idealscopes, HCA's, on & on. The problem with that local ring was cut.

So then we made our first online jewelry purchase. Talk about nervous! We ended up with Bob Hoskins at Whiteflash. Completely & thoroughly head over heels better service, better price (by thousands) & way better quality. I adore my eternity ring! They just finished my 3 stone, & wow, I love it!!

Have made many purchases online from WF & Bob with same results. Although I have not purchased from BGD, Good Old Gold, or Infinity, (or any of the other sanctioned venders) I have witnessed on these boards the exact same level of satisfaction repeated over & over again.

Everyone here will help, diamonds are a passion in this corner of the net! :).

Don't be worried you'll get a raw deal--you'll be thrilled you went online.

KenD

Rough_Rock

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11574/

0.94ct G VS2 Premium Round Ideal Cut Diamond

Shape: Round
Carat Weight: 0.94ct
Color: G
Clarity: VS2
AGS Cut Grade: Ideal
AGS Light Performance: Ideal
Optical Symmetry: Premium
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Fluorescence: None
Culet: None
Lab Report: AGS
Lab Report #: 104068111010
In House: Yes
Width: 6.29mm
Length: 6.32mm
Depth: 3.87mm
Table Percentage: 56.60%
Depth Percentage: 61.40%
Crown ∠: 34.30°
Pavilion ∠: 40.80°
Policy: Lifetime Guarantee
Price: $6,805
(Bank wire price: $6,575

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock

Here are 3 of the best-cut stones you're going to find in that price range. They simply don't stock this sort of quality at Shane Co. (I have visited 2 different locations):

.96ct, H, SI1
- August Vintage Round (different flavor of Ideal cut)
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12283/

.94ct, H, SI2 (verified eye-clean)
http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-default&id=20

.96ct, H, SI1
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12116/

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

BrilliantDummie|1401925016|3686677 said:
Of course I got my measurements for acceptable diamond criterion from other research so all of you know better than I what is a good diamond but the information I have gathered leads me to:

If you are going to shop at a vendor (like B2C or James Allen, or Good Old Gold) that provides idealscope images (this is key, if you were shopping else where the following would not be my recommendation to you), then you can VERY safely expand on the above. It is too restrictive (almost to the point that it doesn't make sense).

Here's what you need to know for shopping on line. Please click on the links and read them.

The entire purpose of faceting a diamond is to reflect light.
How well or how poorly a diamond does this determines how beautiful it is.
How well a diamond performs is determined by the angles and cutting. This is why we say cut is king.
No other factor: not color, not clarity has as much of an impact on the appearance of a diamond as its cut. An ideal H will out white a poorly cut F. And GIA Ex is not enough. And you must stick to GIA and AGS only. EGL is a bad option: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/egl-certification-are-any-of-them-ok.142863/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/egl-certification-are-any-of-them-ok.142863/[/URL]
So how to we ensure that we have the right angles and cutting to get the light performance we want?
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-cut
Well one method is to start with a GIA Ex, and then apply the HCA to it. YOU DO NOT USE HCA for AGS0 stones.
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/holloway-cut-advisor
The HCA is a rejection tool. Not a selection tool. It uses 4 data points to make a rudimentary call on how the diamond may perform.
If the diamond passes then you know that you are in the right zone in terms of angles for light performance. Under 2 is a pass. Under 2.5-2.1 is a maybe. 2.6 and over is a no. No score 2 and under is better than any other.
Is that enough? Not really.
So what you need is a way to check actual light performance of your actual stone.
That's what an idealscope image does. https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/firescope-idealscope
It shows you how and wear your diamond is reflecting light, how well it is going at it, and where you are losing light return. That is why you won't see us recommending Blue Nile, as they do not provide idealscope images for their diamonds. BGD, James Allen, GOG, HPD, ERD and WF do.

The Idealscope is the 'selection tool'. Not the HCA.
So yes, with a GIA stone you need the idealscope images. Or you can buy an idealscope yourself and take it in to the jeweler you are working with to check the stones yourself. Or if you have a good return policy (full refund minimum 7 days) then you can buy the idealscope, buy the stone, and do it at home.

Now if you want to skip all that... stick to AGS0 stones and then all you have to do is pick color and clarity and you know you have a great performing diamond. Because AGS has already done the checking for you so the numbers have already been checked over by the pros. That's why they trade at a premium.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

KenD|1401928415|3686706 said:
1.02 Carat Round Shaped Diamond
This Excellent-cut, H-color, and VS2-clarity diamond comes accompanied by a diamond grading report from the GIA.
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-5066273...m_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com
And a return, for those of us who live in the US, is super easy with B2C because you ship it back using their FedEx account label & insurance coverage for the return transit is included in the freebie return
http://www.b2cjewels.com/returnPolicy.aspx

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

No hype.

Buying online is better.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

MollyMalone|1401929224|3686718 said:
KenD|1401928415|3686706 said:
1.02 Carat Round Shaped Diamond
This Excellent-cut, H-color, and VS2-clarity diamond comes accompanied by a diamond grading report from the GIA.
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-5066273...m_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com
And a return, for those of us who live in the US, is super easy with B2C because you ship it back using their FedEx account label & insurance coverage for the return transit is included in the freebie return
http://www.b2cjewels.com/returnPolicy.aspx

Many venders have the same courtesy, WF did for us as well.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

[quote="tyty333|1401920037|
Yikes! I guess this wouldnt meet DF's mind clean standard! :lol:[/quote]

Have never seen a map like this one!... :-o

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

BrilliantDummie|1401925016|3686677 said:
Thank you, everyone, for such promp replies. It is overwhelming the amount of information pouring in and I am very greatful for your knowledge and advice.

I try to stick to these dimensions and HCA to weed out any possible bad performers. The proportions you posted could allow for some leaky steep deeps or shallow combos but the HCA will help there anyway.

BD, I would suggest adjusting those numbers somewhat to get you more within the ball park of the better cut diamonds, along with Gypsy's excellent advice.

Below is a cheat sheet I made some years ago on proportions that should work well together from advice from expert John Pollard, plus there is an underlined quote from him at the bottom.

depth - 60 - 62% - although my personal preference is to allow up to 62.4%
table - 54- 57%
crown angle - 34- 35 degrees
pavilion angle - 40.6- 41 degrees
girdle - avoid extremes, look for thin to slightly thick, thin to medium etc
polish and symmetry - very good and above

note - with crown and pavilion angles at the shallower ends ( CA 34- PA 40.6) and steeper ( CA 35- PA 41) check to make sure these angles complement in that particular diamond - eyeballs, Idealscope, trusted vendor input - check as appropriate!

From John Pollard.

As the above implies, configurations depend on each other. A little give here can still work with a little take there.

With that said, here''s a "Cliff''s Notes" for staying near Tolkowsky/ideal angles with GIA reports (their numbers are rounded): A crown angle of 34.0, 34.5 or 35.0 is usually safe with a 40.8 pavilion angle. If pavilion angle = 40.6 lean toward a 34.5-35.0 crown. If pavilion angle = 41 lean toward a 34.0-34.5 crown.

GIA "EX" in cut is great at its heart, but it ranges a bit wider than some people prefer, particularly in deep combinations (pavilion > 41 with crown > 35).

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

6157793678d.jpg

Sorry.

Ken, you really do have mad search skillz....I have to say, that's the first ever 'patterned' clarity plot I have ever come across... :-o In my usual juvenile way, I can even make out little faces in it!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

6157793678d.jpg

Sorry.

wow - I think this is a definite Freddy diamond!
What a gorgeous plot of stuff - it looks like a sky-map.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results