shape
carat
color
clarity

Best 2K watch for men?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hubs just had a big birthday and *personally* I'd really like to get him a nice watch to celebrate. Or have him select one for himself w/family fun $$. I bought myself one for a big birthday in the past and feel its a really nice, lasting token of that time period.

However - I'm sure he's not going to go for any amount more than 2K. Is that enough to get something that'll really last these days? The watch I bought for less than 1K 10+ years ago would go for 2.5K these days. So maybe that's a sign? The good news is that he's not a name ho. He actually likes his current Seiko just fine. This is mostly my quest.

Open to all suggestions! And will try to search come old threads to see if mens watches in that price range have gotten any attention lately. (Omegas are out, right? I do so love that Seamaster look and think he does too.) Hmmmmm

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
decodelighted|1314321786|2999781 said:
Hubs just had a big birthday and *personally* I'd really like to get him a nice watch to celebrate. Or have him select one for himself w/family fun $$. I bought myself one for a big birthday in the past and feel its a really nice, lasting token of that time period.

However - I'm sure he's not going to go for any amount more than 2K. Is that enough to get something that'll really last these days? The watch I bought for less than 1K 10+ years ago would go for 2.5K these days. So maybe that's a sign? The good news is that he's not a name ho. He actually likes his current Seiko just fine. This is mostly my quest.

Open to all suggestions! And will try to search come old threads to see if mens watches in that price range have gotten any attention lately. (Omegas are out, right? I do so love that Seamaster look and think he does too.) Hmmmmm

Out--how so? My DH had an old Seamaster--I like it. He alternates wearing it between his (Cartier) Roadmaster.

Do you want to buy a new watch?

cheers--Sharon

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Sharon!

By "out" I meant *pricewise*. NOT stylewise! NEVER stylewise! I was thinking new because I'm not sure if I can sell him on vintage ... though I did just find a interesting ebay Omega from his birthyear that's SO FAR still around my approx range.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
decodelighted|1314325368|2999838 said:
Hi Sharon!

By "out" I meant *pricewise*. NOT stylewise! NEVER stylewise! I was thinking new because I'm not sure if I can sell him on vintage ... though I did just find a interesting ebay Omega from his birthyear that's SO FAR still around my approx range.

Hey Miss D:

Whew! I hate to take issue with you! heeheheeeeee :saint:

I'll keep my eye out for ya....

cheers--Sharon

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1314388815|3000652 said:
Hi Sharon!
Hey Miss D:
cheers--Sharon
Thanks Sharon! I'm afraid I may have created a monster. I caught him eyeing the 40th anniversary "moon" edition Speedmaster that runs 7K. It's good looking, mind you -- but more than we could comfily swallow! Gack!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
decodelighted|1314389778|3000678 said:
canuk-gal|1314388815|3000652 said:
Hi Sharon!
Hey Miss D:
cheers--Sharon
Thanks Sharon! I'm afraid I may have created a monster. I caught him eyeing the 40th anniversary "moon" edition Speedmaster that runs 7K. It's good looking, mind you -- but more than we could comfily swallow! Gack!

How 'bout this?

http://oakgem.com/Products/Omega_Speedmaster_Chronograph_Stainless_Mens_Watch_6051.aspx

cheers--Sharon

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I think Omega or Tag Heuer. I think the styling and value is a bit better on Tags. I bought a Tag aquaracer for my husband to mark an important accomplishment and while it is really an "entry level" high end watch he really treasures it and is proud to wear it.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
kelpie|1314395706|3000791 said:
I think Omega or Tag Heuer. I think the styling and value is a bit better on Tags. I bought a Tag aquaracer for my husband to mark an important accomplishment and while it is really an "entry level" high end watch he really treasures it and is proud to wear it.
Thanks Kelpie! I sent him some links to Aquaracers. His current watch has a blue face and he's partial to blue -- I do like that option with the Tags. He's been admiring some Omegas with see through back panels too (the professionals?). So exciting to shop for this. I've gotten all the bling in this relationship -- its way overdue. :twirl:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
decodelighted|1314409104|3001059 said:
canuk-gal|1314395344|3000790 said:
That's super nice, Sharon. THANKS! Would the lack of papers concern you? I feel so green on the subject. (In both the "novice" and "envious" senses! :naughty: )

HI Deco:

I've often thought about pedigree when buying jewellery--it certain speaks to authenticity. It might bother me in buying an Estate watch--but then again one can have the papers/warrenty/original box and that in itself doesn't prevent it having been "tampered" with.

I hope DF chimes in here. BTW, I think "TimeZone" is a great place to peruse that has a buy/sell forum to their excellent website--I looked there over the summer when trying to locate an obscure Pilot's watch for my son. Reputable place for buying Estate/gently worn watches.

cheers--Sharon

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1314457770|3001524 said:
That's super nice, Sharon. THANKS! Would the lack of papers concern you? I feel so green on the subject. (In both the "novice" and "envious" senses! :naughty: )

HI Deco:

I've often thought about pedigree when buying jewellery--it certain speaks to authenticity. It might bother me in buying an Estate watch--but then again one can have the papers/warrenty/original box and that in itself doesn't prevent it having been "tampered" with.

I hope DF chimes in here. BTW, I think "TimeZone" is a great place to peruse that has a buy/sell forum to their excellent website--I looked there over the summer when trying to locate an obscure Pilot's watch for my son. Reputable place for buying Estate/gently worn watches.

cheers--Sharon
i'd prefer to buy from the original owner with papers/warrenty/original boxes that way you can ask him about the history of the watch.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Deco- DH has a two tone (stainless steel and 18k yellow gold) Omega watch that is 10 years old. I believe it was $1200 back in the day. But it is alive and ticking 10 years later! He chose a classic style so it'll never be dated. The downside is, for a battery change, we take it to Omega and it's then sent to NY, which takes approx. 2 weeks. But that's once every 2 -3 years and it gets a nce polish while its there!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1314474552|3001889 said:
i'd prefer to buy from the original owner with papers/warrenty/original boxes that way you can ask him about the history of the watch.
Thanks DF :wavey: . Do you have a fave men's watch in that price range? (DH seems to be itching up to 3K if that matters :wink2: )

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Feb03Bride|1314480349|3002016 said:
Deco- DH has a two tone (stainless steel and 18k yellow gold) Omega watch that is 10 years old. I believe it was $1200 back in the day. But it is alive and ticking 10 years later! He chose a classic style so it'll never be dated. The downside is, for a battery change, we take it to Omega and it's then sent to NY, which takes approx. 2 weeks. But that's once every 2 -3 years and it gets a nce polish while its there!
Sweet! Thanks Feb03Bride. That's good to hear. DH works in NYC a few days a week (and lately I have been going everyday!) so he's probably going to go try some on in person before deciding. And that proximity will help with service as well hopefully. The Omegas just seem classically cool to me. And I've always been more of a Cartier or Jaeger luster-after-er!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1314474552|3001889 said:
canuk-gal|1314457770|3001524 said:

HI Deco:

cheers--Sharon

Of course, this is ideal...if you can.

cheers--Sharon

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
decodelighted|1314480776|3002034 said:
Sweet! Thanks Feb03Bride. That's good to hear. DH works in NYC a few days a week (and lately I have been going everyday!) so he's probably going to go try some on in person before deciding. And that proximity will help with service as well hopefully. The Omegas just seem classically cool to me. And I've always been more of a Cartier or Jaeger luster-after-er!
;))... i'll take a peek on Timezone for ya.

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
I'm also looking to buy a watch for my SO. I want to surprise him with it when he proposes. Looking for a =n automatic watch in the 2-3K range. Something classic, very nice looking.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1314491685|3002485 said:
Appreciate it DF! :saint:

JaymeC

Rough_Rock
I am hoping to buy a watch for my SO as well. Approx 5k, maybe a bit more. With timeless and classic styling. I like the Tags the best so far....

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Power's back on & I'm still open for suggestions! (Apparently a couple other gals would like some too -- so if you have picks for double my budget, feel free to post those on this thread too -- just to make me feel bad! :wink2: )

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
decodelighted|1314642758|3004629 said:
Power's back on & I'm still open for suggestions! (Apparently a couple other gals would like some too -- so if you have picks for double my budget, feel free to post those on this thread too -- just to make me feel bad! :wink2: )
still keeping my eyes open for ya,hoping to find you a nice JLC... ;))

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooooooh! Thanks DF! Bonus points if it comes with an Ann Coulter book .... :bigsmile:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JaymeC|1314497357|3003085 said:
I am hoping to buy a watch for my SO as well. Approx 5k, maybe a bit more. With timeless and classic styling. I like the Tags the best so far....
with a $5k budget you should take a look at JLC and Zenith.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1314644721|3004663 said:
JaymeC|1314497357|3003085 said:
with a $5k budget you should take a look at JLC and Zenith.

Seriously, especially JLC, and if you're looking at Tag you should look at Rolex. That's a nice budget.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bumping w/ the latest chapter & in case anyone else has some ideas!

We went on a little Omega mission today to a real Omega store and found that prices are HIGH HIGH HIGH. I guess they raised them in Sept. So the watch DH most fancies is $4500 new. (He actually loves the $5500 one but agrees that's insanity!) We walked away & agreed to search pre-owned ones.

And then I found the perfect one on Time Zone only to find out it was sold earlier today. GAH!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone ever gotten a deal in the Caribbean ... like 20-30% off? That would help a lot off the retail cost at this price point. And we have a trip planned in the near future.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
If he's partial to blue, there is the Omega Seamaster, original Planet Ocean (can be had for around $2K vintage), and new Planet Ocean with liquid metal and titanium bracelet (over your budget though). Check out GQ's Sept issue. There is an article about blue watches on page 230. It features 7 watches: Omega Planet Ocean $8200, Longines $1000, Bulova $275, Victorninox Swiss Army $925, Rolex Submariner $34000, Tag Aquaracer $2000, ESQ Movado $250.

Check out these sites for vintage http://www.watchrecon.com/ , http://www.elitedealseeker.com/index.cgi?category=watches

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
decodelighted|1315713061|3014849 said:
Bumping w/ the latest chapter & in case anyone else has some ideas!

We went on a little Omega mission today to a real Omega store and found that prices are HIGH HIGH HIGH. I guess they raised them in Sept. So the watch DH most fancies is $4500 new. (He actually loves the $5500 one but agrees that's insanity!) We walked away & agreed to search pre-owned ones.

And then I found the perfect one on Time Zone only to find out it was sold earlier today. GAH!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone ever gotten a deal in the Caribbean ... like 20-30% off? That would help a lot off the retail cost at this price point. And we have a trip planned in the near future.
what is the ref# of the watch?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
decodelighted|1314494677|3002734 said:
Dancing Fire|1314491685|3002485 said:
Appreciate it DF! :saint:
this is a nice watch but at $3700..

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=msg&goto=5846056&rid=19676#msg_5846056

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, Dancing Fire .... that IS a nice watch. I kinda love it *myself*! (Not in the market for a me watch right now sadly!) I'll pass it on to the fella but he's become pretty sweet on the Omega Speedmaster Pros .... either the base model w/ bracelet .... or the one with the sapphire crystal skeleton back (his fave but usually 1K more!). There are a few versions so a few different ref #s. Will try to collect & post here in case anyone happens on a deal!

THANKS DF!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results