clarity

Best 2K watch for men?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
decodelighted|1316443247|3020626 said:
Wow, Dancing Fire .... that IS a nice watch. I kinda love it *myself*! (Not in the market for a me watch right now sadly!) I'll pass it on to the fella but he's become pretty sweet on the Omega Speedmaster Pros .... either the base model w/ bracelet .... or the one with the sapphire crystal skeleton back (his fave but usually 1K more!). There are a few versions so a few different ref #s. Will try to collect & post here in case anyone happens on a deal!

THANKS DF!
yes,post the Ref #s,then if see one on TZ i'll let you know.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
DF, I love that Zenith that you posted. I finally get mine in two weeks!

Deco, been watching this thread when I'm around (which hasn't been that much lately!) Did you get a watch yet?

TGuy's 40th is coming up. I was going to throw him a party, but he's actually saying he might want that money to go to a watch! So I'm in the exact same boat as you...looking for something nice in the 2-3K (tops) price range! I'll be interested to see what Decosguy ends up with!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's really cool, Sharon. Thanks for thinking of my search for DH & posting! He seems pretty smitten with the Speedmaster Pro but I'll send him the link just in case.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I'm going to be like those old men who say, "I walked a mile in the snow to get to school..." :roll:

I remember when a Rolex cost $1,000. They had a manual winding one for $400. The quality was phenomenal. Heavy. White gold markers. Last forever. Can't comment about the new ones regarding latter. I don't know.

I remember when $1,000 became $2,000 watches. Ok with me. I could still afford to buy them.

Then I remember a gentle glide from $2,000- $4,000.

I turn my back for a year and $4,000 watches are $5,000.

The prices of some watches today, sport watches mainly (by the time you get into DF territory pay the earth for it- you still get something timeless (har, har, har!) seem out-of-this-world!

I "grew up" on the watch forums. I was one of the original 6 (six) how should I say regulars who posted most often and got involved (deeply involved, as in posts that went missing that only some of us knew about, emails from one person to every other, lather, rinse, repeat 6 times, etc., and many of us in the community were writers, so let's not go into the different pen names and masquerade balls :shock: ) in the actually building thepurists. It was just an "empty room" in the beginning.

The watch forums are so different now. Did you know that TimeZone used to be owned by the person who started it, he cashed in (I remember reading he got $600,000 but I never knew if that was true), and moved to Hawaii? The TimeZone you see today is a completely different creation (albeit it does have links to some of the original articles that were written by Carlos and John the last time I looked).

Even before thepurists started I was a bid player in "the Rolex wars" on TimeZone. They guy who was the leader of the Rolex side and I still email each other occasionally. He's a writer and he's a genius, hands down. He has some health problems. I haven't spoken to him since last Christmas. I hope he's OK.

Thanks for letting me take this grumpy old man trip down memory lane. DF can tell you this. There's been a lot of consolidation in the watch industry and there are a lot of watch companies that are heavy on marketing but buy their movements from a company called ETA. $2,000 (and up) isn't an easy price point for finding the good, better, best, bestest :cheeky: watches for men.

If you'll excuse me I have to go chase some kids off my lawn with my Faberge cane. :saint: If I get ambitious I'm going to try to post some pictures in the great new thread on precious animals (jeweled animals, animal jewels) Staci started on the Show Me The Bling Forum.

My own watch is my trusty Rolex.

I sold my JLC (not that I'm bitter about how they dented the face when I sent it in for a warranty repair, not that I wish I had never dropped it, not that I wish I had never sent it to JLC's imbeciles, not that I wish I hadn't just strapped it to my wrist and kept it for life, no, not in the least :???: ).

I disassembled my IWC Cal. 89. SO was very mad that I bought it (it was used so it wasn't a lot but still) and took it apart. It kept terrible time. The truth is I didn't like it. I got bored with it and decided to take a closer look at the movement. And that was the end of that.

My second watches are two Casios. I don't know why exactly but I spent 20 years deep into watches and didn't emerge from the experience with 'the one.' That's part of my new jewelry hobby. I'm going to get it right this time. :!:

We always wanted people to be happy with their watches because everyone wants something good they can be proud of and call their own. I feel the same way about people buying jewelry. Good luck watch buyers! Just remember buyer beware. It's a jungle out there. :))

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny|1319790586|3049225 said:
Thanks for letting me take this grumpy old man trip down memory lane. DF can tell you this. There's been a lot of consolidation in the watch industry and there are a lot of watch companies that are heavy on marketing but buy their movements from a company called ETA. $2,000 (and up) isn't an easy price point for finding the good, better, best, bestest :cheeky: watches for men.
Ditto,Danny...a tough price range for picking a gent's watch.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
***** UPDATE *******

The eagle has landed. That crafty SOB edged me up to 3K but I can hardly complain judging from off-kilter bling ownership percentage around here. :tongue: And it's his Xmas present too. :devil:

By taking a bit of a risk it seems we were able to get him his dream $4500 watch in mint condition, original packaging, seemingly unworn, only a few months old, from a reputable dealer & confirmed by an AD. But it took a few months to find that deal. Whew. I'm glad THAT hunt is over. Was beginning to get sucked into a whole new vortex. (Somehow I got myself another watch too in all the madness. Must stop the financial bleeding help!)

Pictures to come ....

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAAAYYYYY!!! :appl:

Now. Where. Are. The. Pictures. Woman??????? ;))

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
'fraid it's just a cell phone shot for now ... if it even works at all uploading. I think it suits him perfectly and it was the only one that called to him so: yay!

hubsspeedy.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deco, ooh la la! Sporty, Sexy, and Spectacular! I'm so glad your hunt finally turned up what exactly what you and he wanted. He must be over the moon? We are blessed to be able to treat out lovely hubs to something nice. TGuy adores his and even wanted to wear it early vs. getting it on his bday (which is SO not him.)

I'll bet this won't Decoshub's last nice watch...I can see why people get obssessed with it. So many watches, so little time!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
beautiful Deco!!... :appl: lucky guy.. ;))

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll bet this won't Decoshub's last nice watch...I can see why people get obssessed with it. So many watches, so little time![/quote]
hehehee

Great choice. Glad you waited and found what you wanted! Santa came early! :appl:

cheers--Sharon

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Watch Super Friends! Appreciate yr help, support & kind congrats! =)

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
TravelingGal|1323060902|3074369 said:
Deco, ooh la la! Sporty, Sexy, and Spectacular!

What she said!

Deco-it's gorgeous! (manly gorgeous, of course!) Love it, well done! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results