shape
carat
color
clarity

Bellataire Diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
okay so i just did a search and I will go read.........seems people have asked this question before....

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
You''ll do fine! You''re taking time to research and make an informed decision. Just relax and enjoy the sparkles!
30.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/24/2007 11:01:46 PM
Author:lauralu
Anyone know anything about these diamonds? Are they worth the lower prices they say they sell them for?

http://www.weddingdaydiamonds.com/content.asp?id=361
&
Watch out!! Its sounds great when reading...

Bellataire Diamonds are owned by Lazare Laplan (if i am not mistaken) and as far as I know these Diamonds are HPHT treated (High Pressure High Temperature).

I would suggest contacting Lazare Laplan direct..., they are a very well respected Company in this industry, and I am sure you will get the (undertanding) info. you are looking for.

Good luck,

Here is a quick link to some info.

http://www.professionaljeweler.com/archives/news/2003/112103story.html

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nothing is "wrong" with colorless HTHP treated diamonds. Nothing is especially "right" about them, either. They are relatively new to the market although they have been around some years now. The color improvment is permenent and they need no special care. If you ever decide you want to sell one, you''ll find some buyers won''t want to own treated diamonds. Others couldn''t care less. The value of these stones may be reduced a bit from untreated ones, but you likely paid a bit less to begin with.

The big thing is not to unknowling buy a treated stone and to be upset about it later on. Competitors can say things that will make you worry and once you''ve bought the diamond, its a bit late to get sick about it.

Getting informed first is critical.

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
That FAQ reminds me of something drafted by the KGB during the Cold War to explain why communism was actually a good idea. It''s so full of half-truths and omissions it''s hard to know where to start. If you''re considering one of these diamonds, do a lot of other research first.

These diamonds come out the ground brown. Brown color in type IIa diamonds is thought to be the result of distortions in the crystal lattice. The stones are subjected to very high temperatures and pressures (comparable to the conditions under which diamond grows in the mantle), in order to alter the crystal structure and remove the distortions. Everyone except the people making and selling them consider them "treated;" GE et al. insist on euphemisms liked "enhanced" or "restored."

It''s worth pointing out that when this treatment was first developed, GE''s position was that it was permanent and undetectable, and therefore did not need to be disclosed to anyone buying the diamonds. Think about that one for a moment. They reversed course after the rest of the diamond trade threw a fit, but that''s what they initially wanted to do.

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Wedding Day Diamonds actually has retail stores here in MN. My diamond was purchased through them 7 years ago and the experience was pleasant - VERY pleasant. However, over the years since then, service I received from them declined with each visit and I no longer step foot into their stores.

On my original setting, I paid extra to have a plat crown. I had some trouble with prongs on that crown and it needed to be replaced - I could tell as soon as I got it back that it was "lighter" and questioned whether it was replaced with a white gold head. I was assured it was platinum. When I replaced that setting, I had the new jeweler test it and it was 14k white. I had to go back and show them it indeed was white gold when on their files it showed I paid extra for plat. Long story even longer, they did give me my money back.

I also had a pink sapphire anniversary band "custom" ordered for me - it came to me with BROKEN/CHIPPED stones and the goldsmith completely hacked up the band. It was horrible. They had to send it out to be cast special for the stones rather than do it in-house. Still wasn't what I wanted, but I got tired of screwing with it and gave up.

That's my story.
1.gif

ETA: I realize that the question was not specifically about Wedding Day diamonds, but could not resist posting about them since it was their site that was linked.

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
Thank-you for all your replies and advice. I believe I am on the right path by educating myself. It is tremendously helpful to hear others ideas, thoughts and experiences.

The search continues.....:)

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I do not like websites that do not show the diamonds or prices. To me, it is like they have something to hide.

MWG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results