shape
carat
color
clarity

HPHT diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Paragon97

Rough_Rock
Does anyone know anything about HPHT diamonds? It has to do with the color grade as it says on the certificate. What are your views on it.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HPHT stands for High Pressure High Temperature-treatment. It is a treatment, which can be applied to a limited number of stones with a specific crystal-structure.

The treatment improves the colour, sometimes slightly, sometimes from Light Brown to D-colour. Also treatments with fancy colours as a final result are possible.

Value-wise, HPHT-treated stones trade at prices clearly lower than untreated stones.

Hope this helps,

Paragon97

Rough_Rock
Yeah.... I found that out after I went to look at them. Fake diamonds in my opinion. I dont care what anyone has to say whenever you alter a diamonds natural presence it is fake. To think that this jeweler was trying to sell me essentially a fake diamond automatically made me never do business with them.

Its amazing what people will do to make a quick buck.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/24/2007 2:38:18 PM
Author: Paragon97
Yeah.... I found that out after I went to look at them. Fake diamonds in my opinion. I dont care what anyone has to say whenever you alter a diamonds natural presence it is fake. To think that this jeweler was trying to sell me essentially a fake diamond automatically made me never do business with them.

Its amazing what people will do to make a quick buck.
Paragon..., your feelings are your feelings...
And I understand you/them...

But I feel the need to correct you..., any Diamond which has been threated (in any way) must be disclosed to the buyer..., (it seems the case here.)
Some dont want to mess with them..., and some look for them....

Please refrain from calling them "FAKE Diamonds".... as they are NOT!!!!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock

They are real diamonds. The subject of color treatment, from coatings to HPHT to irradiation is a hot topic. When it comes to diamonds, many sellers (ourselves included) prefer not to deal with stones treated to alter their natural color or clarity.

General Electric developed HPHT. It was first used to turn yellowish diamonds into fancy colored diamonds, but now it is also used to improve the color of yellowish-brownish diamonds. In 1999 the GIA began accepting these diamonds for grading. They were involved in research with GE at the time. The Federal Trade Commission requires that HPHT must be disclosed, so GIA notes "HPHT Annealed" or "Artificially Irradiated" on grading reports when it's detected. The diamonds themselves are laser-inscribed with the words "HPHT Processed," "Irradiated" or a specific registered name so there is full disclosure. "GE POL"has been inscribed on Bellataire diamonds. More on GE-processed diamonds

GIA’s reasoning for accepting them is as follows: "...by grading them in the lab, we were able to indicate that they were HPHT annealed on their reports (and on the diamonds themselves). Our “greater good” goal was to protect the trade and the public by protecting the integrity of all diamonds..."
Full GIA Article

Whether you are a fan or not, as long as treatments are disclosed it's up to the buyer to decide if it is acceptable and to enjoy wearing the diamond.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
I took the OP's comment to mean something like "I'd just as soon buy a fake diamond", and I agree. Of course it's good to make sure everyone understands.

Paragon97

Rough_Rock
I''m not a diamond expert by any means but to me anything that has be altered from its natural state to ME is considered a "fake". Obviously the diamond itself is not fake, but the way it become what your buying is "fake". Granted some people could careless if the HPHT process or any other process has been done, but I do care. If I am putting 5-6k down for a diamond I do not want an altered diamond, I want a natural diamond.

Theres a reason why the diamond I looked at was $5400 compared to a non-altered diamond which ws $6500.

In my eyes there fake, there not there natural stone that many other diamonds are out there.

If I offend anyone I dont mean to I just still have a very sour taste in my mouth after checking out pretty decent diamond and lend to believe other things about the diamond and come to find out what HPHT really is.

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/25/2007 3:19:53 PM
Author: Paragon97

If I offend anyone I dont mean to I just still have a very sour taste in my mouth after checking out pretty decent diamond and lend to believe other things about the diamond and come to find out what HPHT really is.
Diamond people dislike the word fake not because they''re in love with all these treatments but because it''s inexact.

There are diamonds that have not been altered from the natural state in any way. (These are usually referred to as rough.)

There are diamonds that have been altered by cutting and polishing into faceted form.

There are diamonds that, once faceted, have been subjected to impermanent treatments like dying or fracture-filling.

There are diamonds that have been subjected to permanent treatments like HPHT and laser-drilling.

There are diamonds that were grown in a lab instead of the ground; these are usually referred to as synthetic, though the manufacturers prefer cultured.

There are things that look like diamonds but are some other substance like CZ; diamond people prefer the term simulant, though the manufacturers sometimes try to call them synthetic diamonds, on the rationale that synthetic = fake.

So when someone says "fake," it''s not at all clear what is being referred to, and that''s generally why people react badly when the term is used.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very well said, captain.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
36.gif

Perfectly put.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results