shape
carat
color
clarity

Bekily Garnet? Alexandrite? Flourite?

LoquaciousLaura

Rough_Rock
I purchased these 2 amazing color change rings a few days ago.

I was told color change garnets, from a prominant estate in Georgia. The pictures were purple, said blue in natural light. Round is 3+ carat the oval is 5+ carate. Skeptical but curious I bought them.

Once I got them I jumped online and began hunting for garnets with the same color change. Bekily looks exactly like these.

Alexandrite ruled out in my mind because of the stone sizes.

Florite? No the hues aren't really the same.

Bekily really is the only stone that makes sense to me. I think whoever made them was a hobby silversmith. I see hammer marks, the soldering is messy, these were definitely made for the person making them. They aren't gift giving or sale quality so if they were the maker's prized possessions could they really be Bekily?
I do see inclusions when I look for them.
Either way, I'm obsessed walking in and out snapping photos in all light sources different times of day.
Yes, natural light or unnatural light, the shade depends on the time of day.

Unnatural light:
Morning dark reddish purple
Afternoon dark purple
Evening reddish purple
Night Berry Pink (pink saphire color)

Natural light:
Morning purplish blue
Afternoon steel blue
Before sunset blue-green (more green)

Thoughts?

_20160826_150430.jpg

_20160826_153546.jpg

_20160826_221323.jpg

_20160826_205319.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your thought process is in line with mine. Alexandrite and fluorite are out. Is there anyone near you that can test the RI of the stones for you?

LoquaciousLaura

Rough_Rock
RI? Im sorry learning the gemology terms.

I don't know of any labs here. I'm in Maryland, what would one need to verify.

I can call around once I know what to ask.

Thank you for replying.

-Laura

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LoquaciousLaura

Rough_Rock
Bless your heart, thank you!

I will start hunting for a jeweller that has one.

The closest we have to a lab is Jarred's I am going to have to hunt for one :)

Thanks again,
-Laura

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My guess would be synthetic corundum.

A Bekily garnet of that size, clarity and colour change would also be quite expensive. For example, Multicolour has a 1.47 ct stone for $600 and a 2.4 for $1600.

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
The color change isn't right for synthetic corundum (which doesn't IME change as much as that -- what I've seen has been more of a purple-blue color change, without the green hues here, which do seem very alexandrite/CC-garnet like to my eye). However it could well be synthetic alexandrite. I think that would be more likely than a CC garnet in that size. ETA: It could of course also be a CC garnet! I have one (that is super small) that has a very similar color change to this.

Regardless of what it is, enjoy it!! I love color-change stones, they are AMAZING.

LoquaciousLaura

Rough_Rock
I've come across an article that explains how to tell the alexandrite from the Bekily Garnet...apparently the Alexandrite does not change colors based on the time of day. As I described in my original post, my stones do just that.

Here is the quote from
https://www.rubylane.com/blog/categories/jewelry/what-s-the-difference-between-alexandrite-and-other-color-changing-gemstones-like-sapphire/
“Although they look a lot like alexandrites they are different because they change color throughout the day. They are green or blue grey in the early morning and reddish in the late afternoon or in strong sunlight. Some of the stones are almost blue especially under fluorescent light but most of them are grey blue or green in daylight and change to red under incandescent or late afternoon light. The stones can show an excellent color change and can easily be confused with alexandrite.

Without gemological tests, the stones can be distinguished from alexandrites by the needle like inclusions that are common in them or by the way the stones change color according to the time of day. Although they look like alexandrites, these Bekily garnets will appear red in the afternoon while the alexandrites remain green.”

I also took some more photos. As I mentioned these look like they were faceted and silversmithed by a hobbyist and made for themselves. Not a sale or gift quality by any means. Soldering puddles, hammering marks, and upon closer inspection I discovered both stones have unpolished pavilion. I also attached a photo where you can see an inclusion in the round stone. I can't see these stones being synthetic, anyone that can make a synthetic stone, should know to polish the entire stone, but then you look at the silver work and it's just BAD....i just don't know. Do I have 2 amazing treasures hidden in a poor cut and pile of silver poo? :lol: I'll find out tomorrow! More pics to come...

_20160829_0.jpg

_20160829_141317.jpg

_20160829_1.jpg

_20160829_2.jpg

LoquaciousLaura

Rough_Rock
The rest of the photos of the silver work.

_20160829_141740.jpg

_20160829_141824.jpg

_20160829_143835.jpg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are very beautiful but gosh, the silver work is atrocious ! Maybe they are Alexandrites???? How exciting if they are.

LoquaciousLaura

Rough_Rock
Im thinking Bekily Garnet because they are so big. But if they are alexandrites or even bekily garnets, I'll have them recut by an expert so they don't lose much size & weight. Then look for a buyer for the bigger one. I'll find out today. :D

LoquaciousLaura

Rough_Rock
RI 1.76. I'm not sure what that means.
You seem to know more than the jeweler here.

LoquaciousLaura

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1472471572|4071130 said:
Your thought process is in line with mine. Alexandrite and fluorite are out. Is there anyone near you that can test the RI of the stones for you?

RI 1.76. I'm not sure what that means.
You seem to know more than the jeweler here.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Did who ever checked the RI look for SR or DR (Single Ref or Double Ref.)?
With a value of 1.76, the stone could be either a color change garnet or Flame fusion corundum. However, if the person knew how to use a refractometer, then they could tell you if it was SR or DR. If SR, then most likely a color change garnet, if DR, the certainly NOT a garnet, and most like lab created corundum.

Most jewelers have no idea what they are doing with colored stones, especially if you went to Jarred's

LoquaciousLaura

Rough_Rock
PrecisionGem|1472579384|4071507 said:
Did who ever checked the RI look for SR or DR (Single Ref or Double Ref.)?
With a value of 1.76, the stone could be either a color change garnet or Flame fusion corundum. However, if the person knew how to use a refractometer, then they could tell you if it was SR or DR. If SR, then most likely a color change garnet, if DR, the certainly NOT a garnet, and most like lab created corundum.

Most jewelers have no idea what they are doing with colored stones, especially if you went to Jarred's

DR however I read that Bekily Garnets are an anomaly

I really don't know, and the jeweler has never seen one to compare. He thinks synthetic corundum, but then said the color change is to significant to be corundum.

I don't know...I'll have to take it to the gem show when it comes to Maryland.

The mystery is fun though lol.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Was the DR a reading a result of a polariscope, or were two distinct refractive index readings taken?
Some garnets when analyzed with a polariscope can show a false DR (anomalous double refraction), but if it was observed through the refractometer that the stone was indeed double refractive, then it would not be a garnet.
What is interesting is that both stones seem pretty identical in the pictures as far as the color change goes. This would make me think there is a good chance they are lab sapphire, as color change garnets are all over the place with the colors change effect.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd like to second Gene's professional opinion as he is a lapidary who has faceted hundreds of coloured stones to know he is talking about and what to look for.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results