shape
carat
color
clarity

Being cheap or being unique?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
I have been helping been helping my friend pick out an e ring for the best girl in the world my very best friend. He has a budget of $6,000.00 however she did not want a diamond she thinks it is to common. She wanted a unique sapphire and was inspired by Nicole Richie''s ring. The money that is left over from buying the sapphire is going towards an diamond eternity ring and a custom setting for her sapphire. However today I sat down and read forums on colored stone e rings. One thing I kept reading was that people who had non diamond where cheap, and some people openly scoffed at the ideal of anything else than a diamond. I want everyone''s thought about this.
35.gif

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
I think if your best friend wants a colored e-ring, then who cares what everyone else thinks??? Personally, I enjoy rings of all stones, shapes and sizes. Anyone who would "scoff" at someone else''s bridal set is not someone who''s opinion I would value anyway.

P.S. I LOVE LOVE LOVE sapphires!

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my friend Amy doesn''t care what any one thinks. To her this is a ring given to her out of the purest love. It could be a cracker Jack ring and she would cherish it forever.
1.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Using a diamond for and e-ring is called good marketing by DeBeers. She she get whatever she wants and what will be her happy.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Where are these posts? Surely not here? European royalty has a long history of colored stone rings, not to mention the finest colored stones can exceed the per carat price of diamonds. Remember Diana''s was a sapphire. Fergie''s was an emerald, right? Okay, maybe those two aren''t the greatest examples but I don''t think most ppl here on Pricescope would dismiss the idea of a colored stone UNLESS the gal wanted a diamond and the guy was pushing her toward a colored stone.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There was a long article in the Chicago Tribune last weekend that talked about the current trend in engagement rings. If I remember right, it talked about 3 or 4 different women and each of them chose some gem other than a diamond as their engagement ring. Believe me, these rings were not cheap. There are many women here on PS [like Mine!] that have just gorgeous gemstone rings. It''s all in what each person prefers individually. I would never look at a non diamond ER and think cheap.

koko

Shiny_Rock
I''ve heard that a ruby of exceptional quality is more expensive than a diamond of the same size.....and I recently read of an interview with Princess Diana shortly after her engagement when she was asked why she chose the sapphire engagement ring from the tray of several rings that she had to choose from. She responded "I chose the biggest one!" Regardless, the DeBeers family has done a terrific marketing job....to me nothing says "bridal" like a diamond! Although personally, I would love to have a vintage aquamarine engagement ring as a RHR.
13.gif

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn''t hesitate to get a colored stone. I know several people who have them, and I''ve never thought it was cheap; most often they say it''s because they simply do not like diamonds, and I don''t doubt it. I love colored stones. I remember meeting a lady who had an emerald, and her ring was so much prettier than many engagement rings I see. I think Princess Diana''s sapphire was gorgeous, and on this forum for example, I love msflutter''s (I think?) ruby ring - it''s fabulous.

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
Cheap???!!! They obviously haven't been shopping for a high quality sapphire. A good size one can cost many thousands of dollars. I know at least 4 people including myself who have a sapphire as an engagement ring. It's nice to have something that not everyone else has.

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/20/2006 4:55:55 PM
Author: mrssalvo
Using a diamond for and e-ring is called good marketing by DeBeers. She she get whatever she wants and what will be her happy.

Amen to that. I actually wish my intended liked colored stones instead of diamonds for an engagement ring, I know I like them better. I could think of really nice things to do with a superbly cut sapphire!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Angel nieves: when my husband and I first started dating, even before engagement rings were even brought up, I had in mind an emerald engagement ring...I wanted to "go against the grain" and have an emerald because a. it is my birthstone, b. it can be more valuable than a diamond, and c. my favorite movie is the Wizard of Oz (Emerald City, etc.). Hubby did not feel the same way, so after we were married he promised to get me a really nice emerald rhr someday. I''ve seen, however, some publications and shows on t.v. that deal with wearing an emerald engagement ring as opposed to a diamond one...I think they are quite beautiful and unique, and anyone who looks at another gal''s ring finger and sees an emerald will probably know right away that it''s an engagement ring, not just a "placeholder." I would tell your friend not to worry about it at all. If she would be happiest with a colored stone (esp. an emerald), good for her!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think a sapphire as an e-ring is awesome!
Its one of the things I talked about with my wifey2b but she felt she wanted a diamond so that is what she got.
If she had been ok with a sapphire or ruby that would have been aok with me.
I love the idea :}
I did go with a ruby wrap wedding band and she loves that idea.

Go with what makes her happy and ingnore everyone else.
She will be the one wearing it and the one that her opinion counts most!!

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
A lady I work with has a sapphire center stone on her ering, and it is fabulous! It may not be a diamond but it definitely looks like a wedding set. Another friend has a 3-stone ering, center diamond, sapphire sides (gorgeous color!!). DH has given me the idea of a sapphire and diamond band for my wband upgrade, poor man, doesn''t realize what he started!
18.gif

Engagement rings (and jewelry in general!) are so much fun because you can completely personalize them. People who know me look at my ering and say "It''s so you!!", and the same is true of my other friends. If your friend "is" a sapphire, then she should have a sapphire ering!

To some people, a diamond is the only acceptable stone in an engagement ring and they will think of colored gem erings as "cheap" i.e. unacceptable. But there are also some people to whom a big rock is the only acceptable stone in an engagement ring, no matter the cut, clarity, or color and they will think of small stones as "cheap" even if they''re ideal cut, D IF. To each their own. As AGBF says, that''s why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: WTNLVR
Cheap???!!! They obviously haven''t been shopping for a high quality sapphire.
What she said! Fine colored gemstones can be more costly per carat and are much rarer than diamonds.

widget

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/20/2006 6:58:14 PM
Author: Catmom
There was a long article in the Chicago Tribune last weekend that talked about the current trend in engagement rings. If I remember right, it talked about 3 or 4 different women and each of them chose some gem other than a diamond as their engagement ring. Believe me, these rings were not cheap. There are many women here on PS [like Mine!] that have just gorgeous gemstone rings. It''s all in what each person prefers individually. I would never look at a non diamond ER and think cheap.

Was this the one?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-0601140277jan15,1,4117137.story?coll=chi-news-hed

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I definitely don''t think that a colored stone is cheap! Everyone likes their own thing and if they love a colored stone, get it, who cares what others think about what you love in your heart. I don''t know that I have seen anyone on here really ever say that colored stones are CHEAP and you have to have a diamond. Personally I am not a colored stone person really, but I love colorless (or near!) diamonds and would not mind a yellow diamond at some point in the future, but tastes are so personal, so to each their own!!

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
I''ve said it before, I''ll say it again. I kind of wish my intended loved colored stones, as I would rather design a beautiful sapphire ring for her. I like diamonds well enough, but...

Definitely would say it is not "cheap" to want a colored gem!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
No definitely not cheap. I think of colored engagement ring for someone that is a style-setter, very individual (and not afraid to be a little different!)
2.gif

They are very beautiful and very unique, and it takes a certain flair to pull it off
36.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Cheap?... I was trying to find a nice pad sapphire for you and they are just... not budget tolerant.
But the color would be really original if that''s what your friend is looking for.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I love diamonds. I really do. But I gotta tell you, I''d have taken Nicole Ritchie''s raspberry sapphire over Paris Hilton''s huge EC any day of the week. That sapphire was one of the most drop dead gorgeous engagement rings I''ve ever seen in my life. (I hope she got to keep it.) Cheap didn''t enter my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results