shape
carat
color
clarity

Before you take your Tami-flu...(or anything else)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My friend's 13 year old daughter didn't get the flu shot this year, and now she has flu A, B and strep. If she doesn't improve tonight, they are admitting her to the hospital tomorrow morning.

My goodness, so many prayers for that child. Heck the strep alone is bad.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My goodness, so many prayers for that child. Heck the strep alone is bad.

She was at a cheer competition on Saturday and felt fine until the ride home on Sunday when her mom said it hit like a ton of bricks.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Saturday afternoon:
IMG_3768.jpg

Sunday afternoon:
IMG_3766.jpg

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh the poor dear! Please keep us updated, whitewave.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat - Sending good healthy vibes for your son. I hope it stays mild and he gets over it quick. "Kids"...you never quit worrying do you?

Arcadian and WW...hope your friends and family members fair well. Sending positive, healthy vibes out.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm waiting for an update. She hasn't made urine since last night, so I'm worried about sepsis and kidney issues...

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They kept her at the doc's office and pumped her full of fluids and she finally had output, so she is at home at the moment. She goes back to the doctor tomorrow morning.

mtsapphirelovingannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
whitewave, Thank you for updating. I'm glad your friend's daughter is home. I hope she recovers quickly.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, the Tamiflu seems to have done the job for my son. He has a mild cough as of today. His biggest complaint is that the Tamiflu makes him nauseated. He still stayed out of school today because his professors asked him to stay away until he was symptom free. I wanted him to stay home too because it’s very easy to relapse at this point.

He isn’t cured of the flu because of Tamiflu. He’s still contagious and at risk for a relapse. His symptoms have just been reduced.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My friend's daughter has turned a corner it seems... feeling better, though still sick. Doesn't seem to be emergent like it had been...

House cat, I'm glad your son feels better...

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My friend's daughter has turned a corner it seems... feeling better, though still sick. Doesn't seem to be emergent like it had been...

House cat, I'm glad your son feels better...
That’s good news WW. It was shocking how quickly she faded. This flu is nothing to mess around with!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear of those who’ve been sick! Hope everyone will be well soon!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so glad to hear your son is doing better, House cat! And your friend’s daughter as well, whitewave.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Viruses can and do kill people in the 20th century. Medical science will never be able to eradicate them all. Medical science also cannot eradicate or prevent the cytokine storm that happens with the flu in some people that kills them.

The flu vaccine is about 35% effective in the US (it was 10% effective in Australia this year).

Yep I totally get most years people deemed susceptible die every year from viruses and the flu. My family member was fit and healthy and had never had any other issues before, so her death was a totally surprise. I understand that these things are more likely to impact the very old and the very young, in Australia a disproportionate number of children, a whole wing of an old person's home and fit middled age people were dying. It was one of the worst seasons for flu deaths here in a few decades, and given the medical advancements we have made the only observations I was making is that this took a lot of people by surprise.

I dare say one day we will a variation of something like birdflu or worse a mutated form of something like Ebola and the predictions are it will do to society what the flu used to do a century ago.

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
Hey House Cat-earlier did you say if you’re immune compromised you may not have a fever as much as other people would?

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey House Cat-earlier did you say if you’re immune compromised you may not have a fever as much as other people would?
My son takes immunosuppressant drugs. These drugs keep his immune system from reacting to infections in the same way that normal people would. He doesn’t run fevers like normal people. He can have bacterial infections that would give people a fever and he won’t have one until it is very serious and even at that, he will have only a mild fever. A mild fever in my son means a trip to the doctor.

I don’t know about all immune compromised people. I only know about people who are taking my son’s meds.

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting. I hope his healthcontinues to get better, he sounds like he’s lucky to have your vigilant care.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the reason why I stopped frequenting PriceScope. ITT: way too many armchair physicians. Didn’t know decades of medical training can be easily achieved by chit chatting in mum groups and ‘researching’ on Dr Google :roll

For those reading, specifically on the delayed vaccinations issue - there are simply NO benefits to delaying or spacing out vaccinations. But there definitely are a lot of risks. This is based on very substantial evidence based medicine and research. Not anecdata or random musings by anthropologists.

Some links:

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/are-recommended-childhood-vaccine-schedules-evidence-based/

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/delaying-vaccines-increases-risks-with-no-added-benefits/

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/delaying-vaccines-not-a-good-idea/

http://www.thescientificparent.org/vaccines-101-too-much-too-soon/

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
About Tamiflu, all drugs have risks - including your regular Tylenol and Advil. This is because your body makes everything inside redundant and efficient - so one enzyme or protein can have multiple functions and multiple enzymes/proteins can do the same thing. This is done for a reason. Therefore, it makes sense that a drug to help one aspect could cause side effects because of the target being redundant/efficient.

A risk benefit analysis is imperative. There is no such thing as a ‘common flu’. Influenza is deadly and has already caused hundreds of deaths this year. Tamiflu isn’t the miracle drug it claims to be, efficacy is limited and in specific patient populations (the difference between statistically significant vs clinically meaningful results). Your physician is a better judge of who should be prescribed Tamiflu. If you are prescribed, please do speak to your doctor and pharmacist before declining it.

People, please don’t spread incorrect medical information or fear monger based on zero evidence.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like everywhere else, the flu is quite widespread down here. Even with Lots of hand washing etc, I'm feeling not so good today. :sick: Chills and nausea and super sore throat issues.

My Dr said We don't want you here go to urgent care (can't blame her really?) Of course go to the ER if its super serious but if still standing, go to urgent care.

My doc wrote me a script for Tamiflu, which down here is in short supply. (yeah call ahead and ask the pharmacy if they have it) One of my friends is now in the hospital, very very ill.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
About Tamiflu, all drugs have risks - including your regular Tylenol and Advil. This is because your body makes everything inside redundant and efficient - so one enzyme or protein can have multiple functions and multiple enzymes/proteins can do the same thing. This is done for a reason. Therefore, it makes sense that a drug to help one aspect could cause side effects because of the target being redundant/efficient.

A risk benefit analysis is imperative. There is no such thing as a ‘common flu’. Influenza is deadly and has already caused hundreds of deaths this year. Tamiflu isn’t the miracle drug it claims to be, efficacy is limited and in specific patient populations (the difference between statistically significant vs clinically meaningful results). Your physician is a better judge of who should be prescribed Tamiflu. If you are prescribed, please do speak to your doctor and pharmacist before declining it.

People, please don’t spread incorrect medical information or fear monger based on zero evidence.

YASSSS!!! Thanks so much for this post, @kama_s! It's like I can turn on the TV and hear, "THIS JUST IN!! IBUPROFEN CAN CAUSE GI BLEEDS!!" ...well, duh. My favorites are the "attorneys" who are calling for those people who have experienced NORMAL SIDE EFFECTS of medications to try to sue the manufacturer. Geez, people... every drug has side effects. It doesn't mean you won't have one, and it doesn't mean you'll experience all of them. Every drug should be considered on a benefit vs. risk basis.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like everywhere else, the flu is quite widespread down here. Even with Lots of hand washing etc, I'm feeling not so good today. :sick: Chills and nausea and super sore throat issues.

My Dr said We don't want you here go to urgent care (can't blame her really?) Of course go to the ER if its super serious but if still standing, go to urgent care.

My doc wrote me a script for Tamiflu, which down here is in short supply. (yeah call ahead and ask the pharmacy if they have it) One of my friends is now in the hospital, very very ill.

Oh no Arcadian! Take care of yourself. I hope it doesnt get serious. I think you and I are in the same state. My DH said there have been a few people
sick at work. My Mom, Dad, and DD have all been sick with non-flu bugs that have lasted about 3 days. Keeping fingers crossed and washing hands like
crazy!

Hope your friend turns around soon.

Keep us posted...

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no Arcadian! Take care of yourself. I hope it doesnt get serious. I think you and I are in the same state. My DH said there have been a few people
sick at work. My Mom, Dad, and DD have all been sick with non-flu bugs that have lasted about 3 days. Keeping fingers crossed and washing hands like
crazy!

Hope your friend turns around soon.

Keep us posted...

You're north of me right? The pharmacy that had some was in Boynton. You know what? I didn't care, it sucked but I got what I needed. Even sadder, I paid full price for it because my insurance did not cover it :angryfire:

I hate that she's so ill. Def. flu with pneumonia complication. I feel like a bad friend because I can't visit her. Not only for my own health but hers. She's usually very healthy, no health issues, so we're all hoping she can kick this.

So I'm also doubled up on B complex, C, and D. Walking the dog was so hard. I'm glad she's kinda lazy because it was a short walk.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're north of me right? The pharmacy that had some was in Boynton. You know what? I didn't care, it sucked but I got what I needed. Even sadder, I paid full price for it because my insurance did not cover it :angryfire:

I hate that she's so ill. Def. flu with pneumonia complication. I feel like a bad friend because I can't visit her. Not only for my own health but hers. She's usually very healthy, no health issues, so we're all hoping she can kick this.

So I'm also doubled up on B complex, C, and D. Walking the dog was so hard. I'm glad she's kinda lazy because it was a short walk.

Yes, I am north of you. On the east cost about an hour from Orlando. I'm just hoping no one in my family gets it. I have teenagers so if I have
to give them Tamiful I will be watching them like a hawk.

I'm glad you found a dose. I feel bad for your friend. She sounds strong so hopefully will fight it off. Like I said, take care of yourself.
Sending healthy dust for your friend!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Arcadian thinking of you and sending healing dust to you and your friend. Hope she makes a complete recovery and that you feel all better too. Take care of yourself and your family and hope everyone remains healthy and well. (((Hugs))).

@whitewave so glad your friend's daughter made a complete recovery!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @missy I'm hanging in there! But oh my, I hurt all over. I'm FREEZING minor fever. The worst is the dizziness/extreme nausea which could be coming from a couple of places (meds probably? on day 2).

I scared the dog with my coughing.
:lol:

THe other half is still out of the country until tomorrow. He knows so he'll be prepared.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Question, did anyone elses gums hurt during all this? my gums are killing me right now. probably the worst thing I've ever felt in my life. Granted my whole head is throbbing like crazy but my gums.... man :cry2: and no orajel didnt do squat. I'm drinking tea and chicken/beef/veggie broths. Why yes I'm being whiney and complanie...lol

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh get better!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results