carat
color
clarity

Blog Before You Buy: Know Thyself

PriceScopeKayti

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
yellow-and-white-diamond-double-halo-setting-23028x380x380_1.jpg

It is easy to get caught up in a diamond’s spectacular beauty, especially if you’re in the market for one. Unfortunately, it is also easy to get swept up in a diamond to where you overlook some red flags. But, that’s exactly why we’re here, to save you from buyer’s remorse and steer you towards lifelong love. However, if you think this is going to be a primer on the 5 C’s, think again. This is going to be three tips on truly finding a diamond you absolutely love for the rest of your life. What tips would you give a friend?

From the blog: https://www.pricescope.com/blog/before-you-buy-know-thyself

Last edited by a moderator:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yellow-and-white-diamond-double-halo-setting-23028x380x380_1.jpg

It is easy to get caught up in a diamond’s spectacular beauty, especially if you’re in the market for one. Unfortunately, it is also easy to get swept up in a diamond to where you overlook some red flags. But, that’s exactly why we’re here, to save you from buyer’s remorse and steer you towards lifelong love. However, if you think this is going to be a primer on the 5 C’s, think again. This is going to be three tips on truly finding a diamond you absolutely love for the rest of your life. What tips would you give a friend?

From the blog: https://www.pricescope.com/blog/before-you-buy-know-thyself

This is all very true. Which is why I feel it’s so important to have real conversation with a partner, and be honest about what you like, and expectations, when that time comes.
It saves a lot of money, and prevents disappointment & stress on both sides.
There are multitudes of first time ring purchase threads on PS posted by nervous and anxious OP’s trying to figure out what is best for their intended. The surprise factor, while sweet & sentimental, leaves these poor folks in a bundle of knots trying to find “the perfect” diamond.
Dialogue, in some fashion, is imperative to knowing what to look for, whether it’s a self-made purchase, or one being made by someone else.
I was very clear with DH, prior to his purchase. He knew what I wanted, what “fit” my personality, and my style.
In the end, he found something that makes us both proud and happy to look at my hand, all the time.
I know it makes him happy to see how much I appreciate what sparkles back at me, every time I wear my wedding rings.
That is a feeling that should be shared by all.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great thread!

I think my three pieces of advice would be:

1) Don't buy the first - or the second - or the third - thing you see. Try on a lot of different styles and find your favorite.

2) Work with an expert. There is so much more to know about diamonds than finger size and price! So work with someone who can find you something really worth owning, regardless of budget; there are beautiful pieces in every price range.

3) Work out whethere this is a forever ring, or you're open to an upgrade. It changes everything if you know this one ring isn't 'forever'.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love the comments of talking with your SO before buying.

The first time I thought I was in love, I got down on bended knee and proposed. She said, "Yes, I will marry you, but I will never wear that horrible ring."

That was the beginning of the end, and the end was very quickly there, thank goodness!

When I met and fell in real love with my now wife of nearly 47 years, I proposed, we talked and then we shopped together. No surprises, no regrets. This was in Rio de Janeiro, a very romantic place at the time, and during a time in which there was little known about diamond cutting. It did not matter, she picked out a ring with three square shaped rubies and eight round brilliant cut diamonds.

I have since bought her two much nicer engagement rings that she loves wearing. She also loves the earrings I made with her original ring after her horse ate one of the three square shaped rubies.

Wink

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great thread indeed! I still see the idea of a proposal having to be a "surprise" as a tad frustrating, yes the proposal itself can be a surprise but the ring doesn't have to be...

These conversations are so important. Honestly so many of my friends have super boring solitaire e-rings (despite wishing otherwise) simply because their husbands were lazy, unimaginative and just bought "the norm". :rolleyes: (Nothing against solitaires per say) I mean one guy I was chatting to seemed actually shocked people wear other styles! :lol:

Agree with researching your purchase is invaluable and also trying as many rings on as possible before buying anything. I didn't even know what was possible before joining PS.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the halo yellow diamond above but would never choose it as my forever ring. Look at different styles to see what looks best on you. Make sure it matches your style. I realize I’m very matchy and the yellow diamond would drive me crazy if it didn’t match what I was wearing. Don’t go too weird if you are worried about it looking dated later. Nothing is forever, discuss the upgrade. Shop together first. Most of all, bring your concerns to Pricescope or another highly recommended vendor who knows their stuff.

syd33

Shiny_Rock
Definitely a great thread!

I agree that the person wearing the ring should always be involved in the selection process--especially if it is the forever ring and that must be decided before purchase. Many of my friends hated their ER and most wear other rings or nothing instead. Back when we were shopping for my ER, I didn't know anything about diamonds--didn't like them actually--wanted an Emerald or fancy color diamond (canary yellow which certainly wasn't in the budget) as my ER and wanted an antique setting. My DH insisted on a colorless "new" stone and setting and so our search was long and difficult. I hated every setting I tried on at every jewelry store at every mall near us--yes, yes, keep in mind I knew nothing... One sales person quickly realized they had nothing I would like and recommended we return for their "remount show" where they would have settings and stones that they don't typically sell. We went to the show and I fell in love with an antique inspired setting and DH picked a small G stone that he liked. I still love that ring, wear it every day and will never change it.

Definitely glad I didn't get what I thought I wanted as my forever ER--I would be very disappointed today. Of course I didn't know Pricescope existed at the time....

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Indeed a great thread!

My advice would be:

1. Know yourself, in terms of your lifestyle and social circle
2. Know what you like in term of shapes and what is meant by mind clean to you
3. Know your budget and be realistic about what you can get with your budget

If I were to add another advice, it would be do not follow trends or be influence by what others may consider as the current must-haves.

DK :))

alittlelight

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yes, @dk168 , all important, especially 1 and 3!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Indeed a great thread!

My advice would be:

1. Know yourself, in terms of your lifestyle and social circle
2. Know what you like in term of shapes and what is meant by mind clean to you
3. Know your budget and be realistic about what you can get with your budget

If I were to add another advice, it would be do not follow trends or be influence by what others may consider as the current must-haves.

DK :))

@dk168 I like your comments above. I am constantly amazed, especially when able to sit down with a client how absolute lines of demarcation are destroyed when real diamonds are seen rather than letters and numbers on a piece of paper.

I remember one particularly fun incident when I received a call from a client who was going to see some diamonds in another city many years ago.

"Wink, you do not need to bother sending your diamonds, I found some other AGS0 cut diamonds on "XYZ Diamonds and they are 10% cheaper than yours. No way do I want you to waste the shipping."

"Hey, I need to you to see these, you are about to make a mistake"

"Okay it is your money, but don't bother even sending the SI1, I do not want to see it."

The next day, when he went in to see the three diamonds I sent and the two from "XYZ Diamonds" the jeweler had all five stones on a slotted tray and set them on the counter. When the gentleman asked which diamond was which, the jeweler simply said, "Which ones do you like best?"

He looked at the diamonds in the tray and immediately said, "Hmm, this one and this one do not sparkle as well as the rest." The jeweler removed them from the tray.

'Oh no! You are going to tell me that those two are the diamonds from "XYZ"

"Yup"

"Which of the remaining three do you like best?"

"Hmm, I really like this one."

"Oh, Wink said you can't have that one..."

Next day I get an agitated call from the client. "Why did you sent that (US Marine Corps language) SI1,? I said I did not want to see it."

"I knew it would be your favorite once you saw it. Would you like me to explain why?"

"Yes."

"This was a 1.38 for $500 less than the 1.10 and the 1.11 VS2's. I know you could not know the price while looking at them, but you could surely see the larger flashes of white and colored light from the larger stone. You could not see the SI! inclusion and without knowing why, you liked the diamond better because it was the same color and it was bigger and it had larger flashes."

"But I told you I did not want to see it?"

"Then send it back, you have 20 days left on your 21 day guarantee."

"But I like it."

We both laughed and he kept the diamond. I am sure his expert friends were disgusted with him for keeping something they would not approve of, but because he had seen it for himself, and chose the treasure his wife is now wearing, he now has his own definition of mind clean.

Wink

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results