shape
carat
color
clarity

Beauty tricks you WISH you'd known about earlier ....

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
bean|1297727357|2851951 said:
Mine would be .. how to make your own Biore "strips"
Oh? Do share!

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Jennifer W|1297713817|2851740 said:
I learned that when it comes to make up, less is more, that cheap face cream is a false economy and that I'm way more scared of the eyelash device than AdiS is, since she actually got up the courage to try it. :bigsmile:

:lol:

Do try it though, it's well worth it. And it gets better after a few weeks of use. Even my hands stopped trembling now, which certainly helps. :bigsmile:

thing2of2|1297737884|2852074 said:
ETA Circe-the best technique I've found is to get the curler right at the base of your eyelashes and hold down for a while, and then move up to the middle and then the ends to avoid a crimped look. And if you want your eyelashes super big for a night out/special occasion, curl them, apply mascara, curl them again and apply more mascara. Come to think of it, using it after mascara might help the curl stay in your lashes better.

That's how I do it too. I've found that using it before applying the mascara does nothing for my eyelashes.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I am too chicken. It looks scary. And it's my actual eyes we're talking about here. Can't I just look plain? :bigsmile:

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Not to keep a tube of mascara longer than three months. My eyes have thanked me by not hurting as much. It's also a good reason not spend much on it.

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
I have learned that using a primer before foundation really helps. Honestly, I wasn't really into makeup until recently, and I didn't even know that such a thing existed.

You ladies have inspired me to retry using an eyelash curler. I used one a couple of times a few years ago, but just kind of tossed it aside. It definitely won't hurt to try again though, using your tips this time. :)

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Makeup Forever HD powder! I just discovered this a few months ago thanks to PSers and it's amazing. No pressed powder for me anymore - just moisturizer, some smudged eyeliner and the HD powder, and chapstick and good to go :)

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
texaskj|1297817120|2852754 said:
Not to keep a tube of mascara longer than three months. My eyes have thanked me by not hurting as much. It's also a good reason not spend much on it.

My mascara might be three years old. Might. It could be older. You're saying I should do something about that, huh?

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
B.E.G.|1297841815|2852967 said:
Makeup Forever HD powder! I just discovered this a few months ago thanks to PSers and it's amazing. No pressed powder for me anymore - just moisturizer, some smudged eyeliner and the HD powder, and chapstick and good to go :)

Yes! This! I know I've recommended it on here before - I love it. It lasts forever too.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sunscreen
Sleeping on my back to avoid wrinkles (I trained myself in the last year or so)
Frowning less
Sectioning my hair when I blow dry it

ETA: oooh what's waterlining and how do I do it?
ETA2: do you mean putting 2 pairs of socks on? Does it keep your feet from getting calloused/rough?

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Circe|1297865799|2853039 said:

My mascara might be three years old. Might. It could be older. You're saying I should do something about that, huh?

There is a slight possibility that I might have an older one. I rarely remember to use it, so it lasts for years. Three is a possibility, maybe more...

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock

I'm sorry to say you're going to need to bury that tube of mascara. Give it a proper funeral. Perhaps it's own little box. You could throw in an eyelash for it to remember you by. Then bury it and try to forget it. There are younger, hipper, less abusive mascara tubes out there, and the you won't ever experience pain. Nip it in the bud before that tube does become abusive. :saint:

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
OKAY........Ladies.....be honest,
how old is that tube of mascara you're using? Did you open it before Thanksgiving...Halloween? If so, do yourself and your eyes a favor and get rid of it!!

L'Oreal, Almay, Cover Girl, Maybelline and Rimmel all make great mascara for less than $10 a pop. I get mine at Ulta when they have buy one or two, get one, etc. Target, Walgreens and CVS also have mascara on sale frequently. There is no reason to spend more than $10 a tube, I don't care how fabulous your DiorShow is, these are your eyes we're talking about here.

"The major safety concern for mascara and other eye makeup is contamination from microbiological agents such as bacteria, mold and yeast. These agents can cause eye infections, even blindness. Much of that contamination occurs after purchase and depends on the way consumers handle the product.

Experts at WebMD, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the United States and Health Canada's Consumer Product Safety Division have devised a list of basic safety precautions that consumers should always follow when applying mascara or other eye makeup.

* Wash hands before applying mascara.
* Never use saliva or water to moisten mascara. Bacteria in saliva or water can overpower the mascara's preservative capabilities. If the mascara is dried out, throw it out.
* Never borrow or share mascara or any eye make-up. Conjunctivitis, or pinkeye, is a common and extremely contagious viral eye infection which is infectious even before symptoms appear.
* Don't use mascara if you have an eye infection and discard any mascara you were using when the infection occurred. If not, you run the risk of re-infecting yourself.
* Stay away from multiple use testers at pharmacies or makeup counters. Use single use applicators such as disposable mascara wands.
* Discard mascara after three months. The preservatives that guard against microorganisms become less effective with time.
* Store cosmetics at temperatures under 85° F (29° C). Higher temperatures decrease the preservative's effectiveness, allowing growth of bacteria and fungi. Note: Hot cars can easily reach these temperatures in summer. So don't store mascara in cars for long periods of time.
* Remove mascara before going to sleep. Flakes of mascara that fall off eye lashes can end up in the eye, causing irritation and infection.

If eye irritation or inflammation occurs, stop using the product immediately. If the problem persists, see a doctor. Bring the mascara container to any medical appointment so the health care practitioner can check the list of ingredients."

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
texaskj|1297889386|2853334 said:
OKAY........Ladies.....be honest,
how old is that tube of mascara you're using? Did you open it before Thanksgiving...Halloween? If so, do yourself and your eyes a favor and get rid of it!!

* Stay away from multiple use testers at pharmacies or makeup counters. Use single use applicators such as disposable mascara wands. * Discard mascara after three months. The preservatives that guard against microorganisms become less effective with time.
."

Gals at sales counters have told me that customers will walk right up and put mascara from the display directly on before there is a chance to stop them. I won't use ANY testers regardless of what kind of makeup it is. Basically I know what colors compliment my eyes/skin, so I stick with those. With the rest, I buy new and try and see at home and return whatever doesn't work.

With creams, I'll only use testers with pump packaging. Otherwise, I do the same as above. Buy new and try out and return whatever doesn't work.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Hahaha I always write the date on my mascara so I know when to change it. In fact, the one I have now is ready to be tossed.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to ask, do you have beautiful skin to begin with? I've been very intrigued by this powder, but my skin has some issues. I'd like to know if it would work well for me or if it only works well for those with beautiful skin.

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
dragonfly411|1297888600|2853321 said:

I'm sorry to say you're going to need to bury that tube of mascara. Give it a proper funeral. Perhaps it's own little box. You could throw in an eyelash for it to remember you by. Then bury it and try to forget it. There are younger, hipper, less abusive mascara tubes out there, and the you won't ever experience pain. Nip it in the bud before that tube does become abusive. :saint:

:lol:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1297885896|2853271 said:
ETA2: do you mean putting 2 pairs of socks on? Does it keep your feet from getting calloused/rough?

It does!
My local Sports Authority has socks that have two layers built in, but they're horribly pricey. I've been making my own - I cut the feet off stockings with runs in them and sew them onto the outsides of athletic socks - just at the top over the elastic, so the actual feet parts are two completely separated layers. Looks really sketchy up close, but works wonders to keep one's feet (relatively soft and somewhat less calloused) and blister-free and it's a whole lot less expensive than yards upon yards of athletic tape ::)

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1297894377|2853392 said:

It does!
My local Sports Authority has socks that have two layers built in, but they're horribly pricey. I've been making my own - I cut the feet off stockings with runs in them and sew them onto the outsides of athletic socks - just at the top over the elastic, so the actual feet parts are two completely separated layers. Looks really sketchy up close, but works wonders to keep one's feet (relatively soft and somewhat less calloused) and blister-free and it's a whole lot less expensive than yards upon yards of athletic tape ::)

Blister-free, you say? How long are you running? I've got Ultimate season coming up, and anything that will lessen the pain and blistering is welcome! Plus, my feet end up a mess of callouses and it's just gross.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
princesss|1297894519|2853394 said:
Yssie|1297894377|2853392 said:

It does!

Blister-free, you say? How long are you running? I've got Ultimate season coming up, and anything that will lessen the pain and blistering is welcome! Plus, my feet end up a mess of callouses and it's just gross.

Haha I definitely know what you mean! I've actually just started working out again after completely ditching it after the wedding, so... I'm doing 2.5-3mi every evening, so nothing impressive. But it's a big step up from the Nothing of before 8)

Two weeks in.. completely blister free! Which is amazing. I think because the inner layer sticks to your feet and the outer layer sticks to your shoes, and they rub together instead of your feet.. Just be sure to sew the second layer on the outside of the athletic socks so they still wick away all the sweat and all those things athletic socks are supposed to do :knockout:

tigian

Ideal_Rock
LtlFirecracker|1297737187|2852066 said:
Skippy123|1297718072|2851779 said:
Sunscreen and Retin A. Retin A fights wrinkles and helps w/acne. Sunscreen helps w/wrinkles. I think I started using sunscreen in my mid 20's. I do think I used Retin A in the early 20's but I would have used it on my forehead and not just for acne.

I second this one.
Skippy and LtlFire-I keep trying to use Retin A, but the peeling and drying always make me stop. How do you get past the scaly phase? Do you put it over or under your moisturizer? Thanks!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is an awesome thread.

I learned this from a fellow PSer:
I only wash my face once a day, and at night I just rinse it with cold water. I never had bad skin, but I used to have some dry areas, and now it is perfect since I wash only once during my morning shower. I remove eye makeup with remover before I wash with water.

My general beauty motto:
Less is more.
I look at my pictures from the 90s and REALLY wish I followed this back then!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
House Cat|1297891885|2853359 said:
I have to ask, do you have beautiful skin to begin with? I've been very intrigued by this powder, but my skin has some issues. I'd like to know if it would work well for me or if it only works well for those with beautiful skin.

I think BEG already has beautiful skin! I want to try the stuff too and haven't for the same reason as you, House Cat!

The only thing I can think of that I wish I'd known about back in the day is the Skin Medica Acne system I use for my face. I'm not 100% clear 100% of the time but most of the time I'm pretty clear. Now..if I could figure something out so that I don't look so haggard..maybe the HD powder??

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mineral powder. I love it and have no need for the messy liquid foundation that I used to use. Also adding baking soda to my shampoo and using a homemade conditioner/vinager rinse has made my hair so much better. We have hard water and it is amazing how different my hair feels now. Smooth and silky.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, BEG has gorgeous skin!

If you have particularly rough, callused or flaky skin that doesn't respond to pumice, cream or anything else, try using lotrimin cream on them (yes, antifungal cream). I just recently learned that there was a manifestation of Athlete's foot called "moccasin type" that's different from the itchy between the toes type you think of. It's not all that itchy and causes a thickening, cracking, peeling and flaking of the skin.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
LOL I came back to the thread to a discussion about whether I have beautiful skin :lol:

Thanks HH and Packie - you guys are dears!

HouseCat - I don't know about beautiful skin, but I am fairly fortunate that I have pretty clear skin (so no blotchiness issues, and rare breakouts). The HD powder is translucent so it might not be the best if you want more cover-up or color evening - in that case, I would probably use some concealer (for blemishes or blotchiness - when I do break out every once in a while, the HD powder isn't enough - I use concealer) or a tinted moisturizer underneath the powder to even out skin tone.

What the HD powder does do fabulously is even out minor skin tone blotchiness, and reduces shine/oil. I have a combination skin - oily T-zone and dry cheeks - and with the HD powder I very rarely use blotting tissues (and I used to use them a LOT before I started using the HD powder). This is also really helpful because I now have bangs and oily forehead + hair on said forehead leads to Bad Things without the powder :razz:

Sephora sells them in a small travel size ($15) if you want to give it a try without paying the full $30 for the regular size. FYI I've had the small size for 2 months now and it doesn't even look like I made a dent in it - you don't need a lot at all. Do get a good powder brush though!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I agree with BEG that you might need to use concealer or something under the HD powder - I use it around my eyes and on any blochiness. Generally I have clear skin though so I don't use full foundation and get away with concealer. On nights that I'm going out or to a party I use foundation + the power and it looks even better! I think HD powder is great at evening out your skin texture, if not necessarily blotchy color.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elrohwen|1298059293|2854899 said:
I agree with BEG that you might need to use concealer or something under the HD powder - I use it around my eyes and on any blochiness. Generally I have clear skin though so I don't use full foundation and get away with concealer. On nights that I'm going out or to a party I use foundation + the power and it looks even better! I think HD powder is great at evening out your skin texture, if not necessarily blotchy color.
When you use it around your eyes, does it settle in your wrinkes (if you have them?) This has been a problem for me with just about every powder make-up I've used. Maybe I'm just getting old and I'm noticing this more :bigsmile:

I know I should just go and get the sample. I'll probably just do that tomorrow. I'm totally intrigued about this powder's oil control. I have bangs too and I'm really tired of the oily forehead/bang combo.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
I wish Isomers skincare was available when I was in my 30s. Alas, it wasn't and I was stuck lurching from one brand to another with less than optimal results. I will NEVER be without this brand....

I willl NEVER again waste money on a pedicure. I simply use Stridex pads on my feet followed by a rich cream. The Stridex removes the dead skin and the cream moisturizes them. {The pads are also good on elbows and knees}.

Ouidad really rocks curly hair without any frizz.

Cold wet teabags do wonders on swollen eyes.

CaliSun

Shiny_Rock
I wish I'd known that a flat iron could be used for more than just making hair pin straight a few years ago....

I have straight hair to begin with, and use a flat iron daily to smooth my hair (darn San Fran fog!) so my hair can look too boring at times to me. A flip and twist here and there with the flat iron, and my hair has all kinds of volume!

Is this one of those super obvious things that everyone else already knew? Perhaps my big 'a-ha' moment was longer overdue than it needed to be?? Really, it's so easy, I felt silly for not thinking of it sooner. :oops:

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Finding a good primer has made a huge difference in how my makeup goes on and looks. I wear either a liquid foundation or mineral makeup and using primer first makes everything go on smoothly and looks very natural. In fact, so natural people always ask if I am wearing makeup.

Also, I found that once I stopped using an eyelash curler that my lashes came back in thicker and longer than ever (this has happened in the last 6 months). My lash curler broke and I kept putting off getting another one. Well, now sometimes I just put on a clear mascara during the day because my lashes have never been this thick or long as many years back as I can remember and I am 54.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results