shape
carat
color
clarity

Beauty tricks you WISH you'd known about earlier ....

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't tend to wear a lot of make-up: just lipstick and a little powder liner and mascara. I've tried foundation and blush and all that, but, frankly, they just don't make enough of a difference for me to bother.

But the other day I frowned at my eyebrows, and breathed a deep sigh, and wandered into Sephora, and ... WOW! I have great big thick brows which I'm generally happy with (no way, Jose, am I signing on for the time commitment of waxing the heck out of them - plus, I actually like the Brooke Shields look), but I've often wanted them to look a little more groomed/defined. The Anastacia brow powder and gel have changed my life (or, at least my beauty routine). It's two minutes, and it makes my face look so much more framed! So very pleased with this.

What are some of the tricks you wish you'd known about earlier?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1297701199|2851506 said:
I don't tend to wear a lot of make-up: just lipstick and a little powder liner and mascara. I've tried foundation and blush and all that, but, frankly, they just don't make enough of a difference for me to bother.

But the other day I frowned at my eyebrows, and breathed a deep sigh, and wandered into Sephora, and ... WOW! I have great big thick brows which I'm generally happy with (no way, Jose, am I signing on for the time commitment of waxing the heck out of them - plus, I actually like the Brooke Shields look), but I've often wanted them to look a little more groomed/defined. The Anastacia brow powder and gel have changed my life (or, at least my beauty routine). It's two minutes, and it makes my face look so much more framed! So very pleased with this.

What are some of the tricks you wish you'd known about earlier?

Facercise by Carole Maggio! I have been ' facercising' for a few months now and the results are pretty impressive...I have always had full lips but now they are positively pouty so much so that people notice and ask if I have had something done - hehe! :lol: It has really given the rest of my face a lift too, I am very pleased with the results for investing around 20 mins a day in 2 sessions.

Also sleeping on my back, although it isn't always comfortable it is nice not waking up with a ' pillow face'.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Moisturising! Honestly, I never did it and it has made my skin ten times softer and better looking.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lorelei|1297701645|2851514 said:
Also sleeping on my back, although it isn't always comfortable it is nice not waking up with a ' pillow face'.

Yep, sleeping on your side = more wrinkles, especially if you sleep on one side every night. Over time, you can end up with one super smooth eye and a wrinkly other one. hahaha

One I found later in life has been eye shadow primers. Always had a problem with my eye liner smearing on my top lid and now it doesn't.

Also, exfoliator has created a huge transformation in my skin. Both my face and my legs are smoother. My legs use to get super dry and flaky in the winter but now they're all healthy and smooth!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I wish I'd known about shaped eyebrows and the best way to groom them. Plucking is seriously cruel and unusual punishment to myself. Seriously.

I wish I'd been taught how to do my hair. I have a hard time with putting it up and making it look nice when I do. I can't braid it. I can't make my buns look super cute. My pony tails are ok. Tips and tricks are totally welcome.

I wish I'd known about oil and blackhead control. My pores are bigger than I'd like because of years of not really noticing or caring.

I wish I'd discovered sunscreen sooner.

Clean and Clear facial wash. My skin has improved in just a couple of weeks. I use the one that is minty... leaves my face feeling cool and fresh.

I am in LOVE with the new Maybelline Fit Me foundation. It is a liquid foundation. It applies very lightly. It does have a slight scent for those allergic, but omg it makes me look vibrant and awake and evens my skin tone!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I forgot to mention my Clarisonic cleanser, I love this thing!!!

www.clarisonic.com

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Using the eyelash curler would make a world of difference. Seriously, I'd been affraid of that kinky looking gadget my entire life, until I finally gathered up the courage to use it recently. I guess I was a man in my previous life, because different surveys indicate that men are horrified of that device and can't even bear watching the ladies use it. Well, I finally did (and it only took me 13 years since I first started wearing make-up :rolleyes: ) Can you say WOW! My eyes look huge and so much more expressive. I still don't like the curler, but I'm now using it daily.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I learned that when it comes to make up, less is more, that cheap face cream is a false economy and that I'm way more scared of the eyelash device than AdiS is, since she actually got up the courage to try it. :bigsmile:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Focusing on developing great INNER beauty, which is timeless.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You know, the eyelash thing does nothing for me? I can't figure out if, a) I'm using it wrong, b) my eyelashes are just soooooo lush it doesn't make a difference, or, c) my lashes so stubbornly refuse to take a curl that steel and the best designs of contemporary aestheticians are powerless against them.

More facts of my own: the stay-on lipstick from the drugstore is worth a 1000 pricey lipsticks in terms of staying on and looking cool; the expensive mascara is actually MUCH WORSE than the cheap kind. I have the pricey Lancome Hypnose stuff, and it sucks - clumps and goops like there's no tomorrow. The Bobbi Brown Everything mascara is okay, but no great shakes. My $7.99 Maybelline Intense drugstore special? Makes me look like a million bucks. Go figure ....

P.S. - Inner beauty comes naturally: it's makes the exterior match that's the challenge!

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Wet/dry shadow and angled brushes! I'd always shied away from dramatic make-up, but I got a couple wet-dry shadows on clearance at victoria's secret, started playing around with them, and found that a thin line of wet shadow just above my lashline wasn't too dramatic at all, especially in neutral colors.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sunscreen and Retin A. Retin A fights wrinkles and helps w/acne. Sunscreen helps w/wrinkles. I think I started using sunscreen in my mid 20's. I do think I used Retin A in the early 20's but I would have used it on my forehead and not just for acne.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jennifer W|1297715769|2851757 said:
kenny|1297715676|2851754 said:

Are you sure you live in California? :bigsmile:

ROFL! :D Okay that was funny!

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Circe|1297716396|2851767 said:
You know, the eyelash thing does nothing for me? I can't figure out if, a) I'm using it wrong, b) my eyelashes are just soooooo lush it doesn't make a difference, or, c) my lashes so stubbornly refuse to take a curl that steel and the best designs of contemporary aestheticians are powerless against them.

More facts of my own: the stay-on lipstick from the drugstore is worth a 1000 pricey lipsticks in terms of staying on and looking cool; the expensive mascara is actually MUCH WORSE than the cheap kind. I have the pricey Lancome Hypnose stuff, and it sucks - clumps and goops like there's no tomorrow. The Bobbi Brown Everything mascara is okay, but no great shakes. My $7.99 Maybelline Intense drugstore special? Makes me look like a million bucks. Go figure ....

P.S. - Inner beauty comes naturally: it's makes the exterior match that's the challenge!

I second this! Expensive mascara is no use. I have probably tried every brand there is (with limited success) and cheap ones are almost always better. I can make myself look ridiculous with mascara very, very easily.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Moisturizing. Never did it til my mid-twenties. Wish I did it sooner.

Angled brushes. Thought I couldn't do eye makeup until I got them. It was only a couple years ago!

Good shampoo and conditioner. I always hated my curly hair. Now that I know what to use, I like them.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
(I actually make my own mineral makeup- foundation, eyeshadow & liner, loose powder, blush etc.) I have found that the mineral makeup foundation is the absolute best sunscreen in existence; it's a physical sunblock with z-cote zinc, regular zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. As a result, I can wear the foundation on my face and put SPF 85 on my body, and my body tans but my face doesn't. Also the mineral foundation is super quick to apply and you can choose ANY coverage you want, from total full coverage to barely there. It's awesome stuff. Plus, even sleeping in it doesn't bother my skin at all.

I wish I'd tried making it sooner actually... it took me maybe five years of using other people's to start thinking "Huh, wonder if I could do this?"

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Common stereotype.

nicolita

Rough_Rock
I swear by Cetaphil moisturizer. It's so perfect. It never feels greasy or gross and my face is always nice and smooth! It works for all skin types. My best friend has oily/normal skin and I have dry skin. We both use it every single night.

I also love the Bare Minerals. I rarely wear foundation but when I do Bare Minerals kicks bum. It looks very natural and evens out my skin tone.

What else...? Hmm, O.P.I. nail polish lasts so much longer than any other brand, too.

Oh, this is really weird, but I use antibacterial hand soap on my face. Just normal unscented Softsoap. It works better than salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide. I think it's because of the triclosan. Many expensive face washes use it as the active ingredient... I just pay $1.50 a bottle for my budget/ghetto version. :praise:

I would love to hear some pore minimizing techniques! Mine just won't get smaller! :(sad

kenny|1297726808|2851936 said:

Common stereotype.

Stereotypes for a reason....

Mine would be .. how to make your own Biore "strips"

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Skippy123|1297718072|2851779 said:
Sunscreen and Retin A. Retin A fights wrinkles and helps w/acne. Sunscreen helps w/wrinkles. I think I started using sunscreen in my mid 20's. I do think I used Retin A in the early 20's but I would have used it on my forehead and not just for acne.

I second this one.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lorelei|1297703090|2851551 said:
Oh I forgot to mention my Clarisonic cleanser, I love this thing!!!

www.clarisonic.com

Ditto-it's fantastic and I just got one last year because of vesper's thread here about hers. Speaking of Clarisonic, has anyone tried the eye thing? I wonder how well that works.

I also ditto the eyelash curler. I've been using one since middle school and it makes my eyelashes and eyes look great. I just use the eyelash curler, mascara, and Laura Mercier's powder foundation every day.

ETA Circe-the best technique I've found is to get the curler right at the base of your eyelashes and hold down for a while, and then move up to the middle and then the ends to avoid a crimped look. And if you want your eyelashes super big for a night out/special occasion, curl them, apply mascara, curl them again and apply more mascara. Come to think of it, using it after mascara might help the curl stay in your lashes better.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1297716396|2851767 said:

You have to use it right out of the shower, when the lashes are still a TINY bit damp. But very CAREFULLY, because they are prone to being pulled out when they are damp. Also, the little pad has to be replaced when it becomes creased or it won't work right.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Applying concealer with a little brush under my eyes.

A Sephora lady did my eyes with that, and I was surprised. But, what, did I expect her to use her finger?

Why was this news to me after all these years?!

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
I wish I knew earlier how to apply Rose Hip Oil properly. It's not going to go well unless you have a damp/almost dripping face :) Now that I've done my research and figured out the application, I couldn't be more happy with the results. I also like that it's a natural product. If anyone is interested, these are the products I've been using: http://www.trilogyproducts.com/

I also wish I'd started using Cetaphil face wash earlier. I wasted so much money on expensive cleansers!

Finally, I've been using sunscreen on my face daily since I was 15 but I wish I'd figured out earlier that they're not all created equal :(sad I am now on the hunt for a DECENT face/neck/arm sunscreen.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LtlFirecracker|1297737187|2852066 said:
Skippy123|1297718072|2851779 said:

I second this one.

Give it a third. That coupled with Prevage MD (from skinmedix, it's the cheapest). I have read great reviews on TNS recovery
serum, and I think I will try that with my next bottle. It's a great one-two punch!!!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the Clarisonic opal. I works well for getting out the puffiness under your eyes. Not instantly, but over about 3 days, the
puffiness is gone. There is some wrinkle benefit, but I still use an eye cream. The lids contain the eye gel and I am still working
with the lids that came with the system. I will definitely buy more when I run out, because I think it is a good product to have,
just not the only product. For me, it is worth the money.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I have two. The first is waterlining - I never knew you could do this and it's made such a difference! I used to use liner and shadow every day, but now I just do my upper waterline (with mascara) and it looks awesome and pretty natural.

I wish I had discovered tube-type mascaras earlier. I'm so prone to raccoon eyes and I've never tried a cheap mascara that didn't give me dark circles after a few hours of wear. I did like some more expensive ones better, but they weren't perfect. Then somebody on PS mentioned Clinique's tube-type mascara (I think it's the Lash Power one) and it's awesome! It stays put all day and never ever smears. I love it. I've tried some other tube mascaras and they're ok, but I still like Clinique the best. Too bad it's $20 ;(

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I jumped back in to say that I love my cheapo mascara too, and eyeliner. I use Maybelline Great Lash and Maybelline Volume Express Colossal for mascara. I alternate depending on which I want more of, volume, or length. I use their Define a Line eyeliner, but also play with colored eyeliners from other companies.

Apparently I like Maybelline... hrmmm.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tinted moisturizer. Never knew it existed before my wedding... I don't like foundation but the tinted moisturizer gives just a tiny bit of colour and evening.

Extra moisturizing conditioner. Didn't even bother with conditioner until four or five years ago, and what a difference it makes - I don't have to trim off dry hair and split ends nearly so often. To add to that - a coconut oil hair treatment once a week - gloop the stuff on and let it sit for a couple of hours.

Double-layer socks for workouts - they really do save your feet!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results