shape
carat
color
clarity

Beautiful Engagement Ring on a Budget: A New Direction

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fabcrab

Brilliant_Rock
I''m loving Ebree''s original knox!!
face9.gif

gladyskristen

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/26/2007 12:14:48 PM
Author: fabcrab
I''m loving Ebree''s original knox!!
face9.gif

Ditto! I think it''ll look just perfect with an x-factor, and at the right price too!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Thritto the above!

The Graven Acolyte

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I do love that ring myself. My girlfriend liked it a lot when she first saw it, but it then fell out of favour with her when she started looking at other antiques, hehe.

I showed her the ring Pricescope found, as a test to see if she''d like Loving Hearts. And, she loved the Stuller''s! Um... and gee, I like some elements of it even better than the Loving Hearts. Hehe. But seriously Pricescope, thanks so much! I''m really leaning toward the Loving Hearts... I think she''ll love it! I''d better start sending off e-mails.

My girlfriend sent me this ring today. It is stunning. And I''m sure extremely expensive.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay. Just a suggestion here. I would really just propose with the stone. I really would. Then present her with a budget and free reign to pick her setting. She''s all over the place.... and I would really just want to make sure she got what she wants. I''m not sure SHE even knows what she wants yet. How are you supposed to guess?

gladyskristen

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Gypsy! My FI proposed to me with a diamond (an x-factor) and gave me free reign for the setting with a budget. To me, that was the best way, cos I could get my ring exactly the way I wanted, in my exact size. I was also going back and forth among designs. What''s more I''m a very odd size between 4.5 and 4.75, so it helped that the jeweler could measure me for the ring.

gladyskristen

Brilliant_Rock
I looked at the ring that''s your gf''s new love. Does she just want the scroll in the gallery, or does she want the "marble cake effect" on the ring too? It''s a blend of platinum (the lighter colour) and white gold (the darker colour).

The Graven Acolyte

Rough_Rock
I will ask her.

I don''t think it''s that she keeps picking a favourite and then changing her mind, but that I gave her free reign to browse and she''s just trying to help me by showing me what she thinks is pretty. The thing is, she''s stated that she doesn''t want to pick out the ring herself--she still wants to be surprised. But obviously, I want to get as close as possibly to something that she''d pick out herself, and that she''d love.

But I will bring it up with her again.

gladyskristen

Brilliant_Rock
It''s a pity custom-making in Canada is not as cheap as Singapore. Otherwise you can incorporate all the features that she likes into a unique ring just for her!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you checked out any of the settings available from aer? Since she likes those antique rings maybe get one of their settings with a nice .4 stone from JA or WF.

gladyskristen

Brilliant_Rock
I''d ask if she''ll sacrifice stone size for a more expensive setting though. A .4 princess may look too small for some. You can present her with 2 options:

1) More detailed setting, with a stone tt''s .4 carat.
2) Slightly simpler setting (ala Knox setting), with a .55 carat.

If you know which one she prefers, it can help make your decision easier.

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
Sorry... double post!

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
I think that the Knox setting (with an x factor from WF!) would be lovely. The shank has a unique look and is delicate enough that the center stone would stand out. And the pricing is very reasonable. Having just had my own .51 RB reset by Knox, I can tell you that Brian Knox is wonderful to work with.

1.gif

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
So she wants a princess...that's right up my alley! Just a caution about princesses...they definitely face up smaller than rounds for the same carat weight, so don't be surprised if a 0.5ct princess looks smaller than you expect.

That Loving Hearts setting looks like something you both will cherish. It looks an X-factor can be set in it with the "fishtail"-type prongs, but send the pic to WF (or whoever will be supplying your diamond) and make sure it can be modified to fit an X-factor. Otherwise, the ACA Princesses from WF are gorgeous...take it from someone who has one!

In addition to the X-factor Gladys suggested (which I in fact would lean away from because I don't like the way the center looks, but it's all personal preference), think about these:
0.518 I SI1
0.51 G SI1

Here are a couple of gorgeous ACA Princess:
0.52 I SI1
0.51 I VS1
0.51 J SI1

As a quick note on color, it's generally believed that color shows up a bit more in princesses than in rounds, so I'd go with one of the I's over the J. I have an I princess and couldn't be happier with the color. Going down to I from H is a great money-saver, and I can't tell the difference visually.

Edit: Just noticed that the Loving Hearts ring has a matching band. Very nice!

The Graven Acolyte

Rough_Rock
Inquiry regarding Loving Hearts has been e-mailed to Whiteflash. Will update you all as soon as I hear back.

I think this is the ring. Assuming all goes well, it will be time to select a diamond! Going to check on the ones you guys have recommended when I can.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Graven, I don''t have anything to add as it appears you''re already on the right track.

I just wanted to say how touching it is that you''re putting so much emphasis on learning what she likes and choosing something that will make her happy. That speaks volumes to me, and I''m sure that you''ll be a very happily married man for a long, long time!
9.gif

fabcrab

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/28/2007 11:49:15 AM
Author: aljdewey
Graven, I don''t have anything to add as it appears you''re already on the right track.

I just wanted to say how touching it is that you''re putting so much emphasis on learning what she likes and choosing something that will make her happy. That speaks volumes to me, and I''m sure that you''ll be a very happily married man for a long, long time!
9.gif
Ditto! The effort you''re putting into finding THE RING is unbelievable
5.gif
. After reading and hearing about horror stories about women not completely loving their ring, it''s a huge relief how much you consider your gf''s opinions! Good Luck!

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock

I just wanted to say that I REALLY like #5 and I think it will fit your budget nicely and you will get a quality ring. I also like the Stuller, and the first 2 rings your GF picked out however, those rings are pictured with HUGE HONKING diamonds and they will look quite different with a 0.4-0.5ct stone. That's why for the look that you want, I love the rings EBree posted.

I also wanted to give you a heads up on a wedding band that I found which got me thinking about your situation. It's a platinum (PT) band (which I know is out of your budget) BUT this is an estate ring with baguettes that is only $400USD and is a size 6.25 (your GF is 6 right?). Found here: http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-specials/estate-jewelry/rings/050EJ1/48/ I don't know if this is a plausible idea, but you could purchase this w-band for $400 and purchase a platinum solitaire. Then you could get the solitaire AND the w-band engraved to get the antique look you like (with the pattern of your choice), but the extra diamonds your GF wants would be on the w-band...I attached a pic so you can get an idea of what I am talking about... And voila! A one of a kind antique SET. So...you could buy your stone online and possibly have a local jeweller set it and engrave both bands for you. Although I do not know how much it costs to get PT rings engraved, but you had stated you wanted to do this anyways. I believe you would be close to your budget for the e-ring (as you would not be paying for extra diamonds on the setting) and would get a good deal on your w-band with the diamonds, so even tho you would be paying more up front, you would be getting BOTH rings, and they would both be PT and the extra sparklies, so it would still be a good deal (if I am guesstimating correctly)...

BTW the engraved ring is in WG not PT and from Bluenile - I am not endorsing Bluenile I just wanted the picture and to price check PT solitaires - which look like they range in price from 500-1000USD.

But, this is ONLY a suggestion. I still LOVE ring #5, and I would also choose the Stuller over the Loving Hearts as well!! It's a more mature and classic look.

050EJ18.jpg

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh cr*p, I forgot that you need this by July 10th...!! Totally ignore the above!
19.gif

The Graven Acolyte

Rough_Rock
Hey guys, I''ve been so busy. Sorry for not responding to you in turn.

Update:

Loving Hearts has been ordered from Antique Jewelry Mall, and I''m not discussing diamonds with Whiteflash via e-mail. They won''t know whether an x-factor will fit until the setting arrives, but I''m using gladyskristen''s and jstarfireb''s diamond recommendations as a starting point.

gladyskristen

Brilliant_Rock
It''s great to know that you''ve been busy with the e-ring! Can''t wait to see it!
36.gif

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2007 10:49:18 AM
Author: The Graven Acolyte
Loving Hearts has been ordered from Antique Jewelry Mall, and I''m not discussing diamonds with Whiteflash via e-mail. They won''t know whether an x-factor will fit until the setting arrives, but I''m using gladyskristen''s and jstarfireb''s diamond recommendations as a starting point.

Great! Looking forward to seeing the final result. Just one more suggestion...you might want to call WF and see if you can reserve one of each (an X-factor and an ACA) just so they don''t get snatched up in the meantime. Perhaps the I SI1s among the ones I suggested would be good since they''re both $825 before discount and would fit into the upper end of your budget nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results