shape
carat
color
clarity

Beautiful Engagement Ring on a Budget: A New Direction

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

The Graven Acolyte

Rough_Rock
You will remember me from this thread. In it, you guys were tremendously helpful to me, teaching me how to select a setting and a diamond, letting me know what I could do on my budget, and providing me with tons of suggestions. Thank you so much, every last one of you.

So... why have I created a new thread? Well, here''s what I did: I spoke with my darling girlfriend. Really, I wanted to completely surprise her. But if all the options you guys showed me taught me anything, it''s that, even on a budget, there are a lot of things you can do. And as much as I don''t want to spoil any of the surprise, I knew that I could talk to her about it. So I did. And the feedback she provided me with was invaluable.

I''d love to continue on in my original thread, but the fact is that I''m now going in a considerably different direction and would like to elicit some brand new opinions and suggestions. If you put a lot of work into your response in my original thread, do not be disheatened; it''s because of you I''ve gotten this far. It''s just time to take a fresh look at my options.

Let me begin with the certainties:

My Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Need a Ring By: July 10th at the absolute latest.

Budget: Would really like to keep it between $1,200-$1,500. (I have been looking a little higher, though.)

Center Stone: A .40 carat+ diamond with a superior cut. She prefers princess, and has voiced a liking for asscher, as well.

Setting: Must be white gold. She would like something a little special; i.e., not just a solitaire. We''re looking at a lot of rings with sidestones. Also, she''d like a thinner band. We love some of the antique replicas we''re looking at. The antiques, especially the understated art deco designs, are delicate yet provide that "something different". I''d still like something engravable, but it doesn''t have to be--we''re going to be getting our wedding bands engraved.

Size: Six.

Designs we both like:

Number One

We both love this ring. Unfortunately, it''s a synthetic, and I haven''t been able to find anything quite like it. She loves the baguettes. I really like them too. Unfortunately, channel-set rounds are much more common; and she doesn''t like the combination of the round center stone and round sidestones. The band''s also a bit wider than we probably want.

Number Two

Gosh, aren''t those aquamarines beautiful? And they''re almost her favourite colour. Love the way they accent the center stone. This setting is a little pricey, however, and really doesn''t have the other features we want.

Number Three

This was probably my favourite ring that you guys helped me find in my first thread. However, my girlfriend didn''t really like the round sidestones. What we do just adore is the "cross prong basket".

Number Four

Nothing special about the ring itself, but we thought the heart in the basket was sweet.

Number Five

A wonderful find by EBree, in my original thread. My girlfriend loves this design of sidestone. (Tapered vertical baguettes?)

A few other antiques she mentioned to me she loves: A B C

Her dream? A setting similar to A, B, or C, with the sidestones of number five the colour of the aquamarines from number two, and the heart in the basket from number four. That would be a custom job... and we don''t have the money for that. But what about a dainty, antique setting with tapered, aquamarine baguettes and a princess cut center stone? What would it take to make that happen? Most of the pre-designed rings I see with coloured sidestones are either sapphires or rubies.

As always, my sincerest thanks.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, the setting from Knox (I think it''s A) is probably very easily modified to having aquamarine baguettes in it. Knox is SUPER nice, so I would call them and see what they can do for you. The only problem is that you are on a severe time crunch and you''re right that aquas aren''t too common as sidestones. I think this ring will need to be semi-custom to get the aqua sides as baguettes, but we''ll all look for you!!!

I think your best bet is to call Knox and see if they can make it happen.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So glad you guys talked.

While Aquamarines were very popular as engagment ring centers before diamonds became popular. The reason you normally see saphires and rubies is because the are very hard and durable able to withstand the wear and tear of everyday use. From what I know Aquamarine''s are Beryl''s -- same as emeralds, so they are not as durable for everyday wear.

The Graven Acolyte

Rough_Rock
Yeah, boy, I sure let the time slip away on me. I won''t be proposing as early as the 10th; just, I''m going to be leaving to go and see her on that date, so I''ll need to have the ring on hand.

Thanks for educating me on the aquamarines. Looks like it would be tough to aquire a ring with them in my timeframe, or on my budget. But boy, they''re pretty accents to diamonds.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just as an FYI: Settings like the first one you posted are also very common with PRINCESS sides. So you might be able to compromise on that setting, and that''s something you can get FAST. But I don''t know if they are within your budget (is budget for everything? Or setting only?), Knox has a number of them.

The Graven Acolyte

Rough_Rock
Budget should be for everything, but I''m realizing more and more that it''s somewhat low for something so special. I might be getting a little ridiculous when I look at paying more for the setting than for the stone.

That said, I''m browsing Knox now and they certainly have some nice designs available for reasonable sums.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2007 11:56:17 PM
Author: The Graven Acolyte
Budget should be for everything, but I''m realizing more and more that it''s somewhat low for something so special. I might be getting a little ridiculous when I look at paying more for the setting than for the stone.

That said, I''m browsing Knox now and they certainly have some nice designs available for reasonable sums.

Yes, they do. I would call them tomorrow and see what they say. You never know they might be able to easily switch out those baguette diamonds for aquas...they''re very nice and will do anything they can to help you.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I heartily applaud you for talking to her! Good job!! Now, I think of all your options, EBree's antique style setting at Knox is the most lovely. And there are options for a center stone here that keep you near/in your budget:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131&item=1070833

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD01048116

http://www.mondera.com/diamonds/product.asp?partno=542165&sourceID=BPVd0yuZ5sA-KR3RyQXlw56mWAc3yTOdXg

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD01072169

Keep in mind I know nothing about Princess cuts. Others can look at the above and tell you if these are good stones.

I did look up Asschers and Radiants but there weren't any in your price range with high enough quality (they were about 1-2 stars on Whiteflash).

I have no idea what Knox charges for loose stones but I'd also give them your budget and see what they can do about adding the half carat center stone to that design and see what their total price is.

ETA: FEb Bride, he's trying to stay below $1500 for the entire ring..

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, once you get into stones in the setting, you''ll be going up in price! But I agree with those who advised against aquamarines in an engagement ring because they just aren''t durable enough for constant wear. I''d get her a pretty aquamarine right hand ring for another occasion. There are plenty of the x-prong settings with sidestones in the band, but often they will cost over a thousand dollars just for the setting. That knox ring is a pretty good deal, but it looks like it is a very thin band.

BigDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Have you looked at Blue Nile? Their setting prices are pretty reasonable. They have this one, which I think would look good with an asscher. Or this one, which would be great with a princess.

FWIW, I think it would be easier to find a good princess in your time frame than a good asscher, but more experienced people may disagree. The nice thing about princesses is that you can buy an ACA or ES from WF and you know you''re getting a good stone. I don''t think there is anything quite so easy for asschers.

gladyskristen

Brilliant_Rock
Since your girl love both the princess and asscher, how abt trying for a WF X-factor? It's basically a princess cut with cut-corners. It also has a better light return than most princesses out there.

This one looks very nice to me:
WF X-factor, 0.553ct, I, VS2 - $959 (after PS discount)

This will leave you with a nice sum of money to get whichever setting your gf fancies.
36.gif

I'd pay attention to the colour of the side stones when I buy a setting. Won't want the side stones to of too high a colour (e.g. F colour), otherwise it might make a lower colour centre stone look warm in comparison!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2007 11:56:17 PM

I would definitely put the most money possible into the diamond, not the setting. As far as your budget goes, if you can afford more, go for it-you only get engaged once, hopefully! The Knox setting you posted is a reasonable price, but it''s 1/3 of your budget. You can definitely upgrade the setting (or the diamond if you go with a vendor with a good upgrade policy) at a later date, so keep that in mind!

gladyskristen

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, setting No. 5 from Knox gets my vote! It''s elegant and fits ur budget nicely.
36.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to disagree with those that say to not spend a chunk of your budget on a "different" setting. Sounds like your girl KNOWS she wants a slightly different setting, so I wouldn''t disappoint her by just giving her a plain solitaire if that is clearly not what she wants. Even if the stone has to be a bit smaller.

For me, and it sounds like for your GF, the ring is a "package" and it''s about getting the nicest overall look possible, not just the biggest stone.

Have you called Knox yet!?!?! Can''t wait to hear about it!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Since you''re on a bit of a time crunch, would you consider forgoing the aqua sidestones? James Allen has this setting
and this stone for 1685. I know that''s a little over budget, but it''s also a larger stone.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

The Graven Acolyte

Rough_Rock
Oh, I like this one, february2003bride. Thanks! I will ask her what she thinks.

Unfortunately I work horrible hours throughout the week, but I will browse Knox this evening and hope to call or write to them tomorrow. At this point, I''m liking the idea of a Princess or X-factor under or around $1,000, and the nicest 1920s-1940s replica setting I can find.

My girlfriend really likes the three antiques I linked to as A, B, and C in my top post. So I''m going to be looking for something like that. She did like the "number five" from Knox, but didn''t favour it quite so much after seeing the other antiques.

So... if I do find a nice setting at Knox, but want to get a diamond from Whiteflash, could I have the diamond shipped directly to Knox? Coincidentally, I have a stop-over in Minneapolis on my way to see my girlfriend in July, but it''s only for an hour or two. But I had been considering having the jeweler ship the finished product directly to my girlfriend (under my name), so as to save on any customs or taxes. (I''m in Canada, and she''s in the U.S.) I''m sending her some other gifts this way, anyway--that she''ll just keep for me, so that I can wrap them for her birthday once I get there. So I could just ask Knox or whomever to ship the ring discreetly. This would reduce the time crunch a little, as well.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2007 11:15:17 AM
Oh, I like this one, february2003bride. Thanks! I will ask her what she thinks.

Unfortunately I work horrible hours throughout the week, but I will browse Knox this evening and hope to call or write to them tomorrow. At this point, I''m liking the idea of a Princess or X-factor under or around $1,000, and the nicest 1920s-1940s replica setting I can find.

My girlfriend really likes the three antiques I linked to as A, B, and C in my top post. So I''m going to be looking for something like that. She did like the ''number five'' from Knox, but didn''t favour it quite so much after seeing the other antiques.

So... if I do find a nice setting at Knox, but want to get a diamond from Whiteflash, could I have the diamond shipped directly to Knox? Coincidentally, I have a stop-over in Minneapolis on my way to see my girlfriend in July, but it''s only for an hour or two. But I had been considering having the jeweler ship the finished product directly to my girlfriend (under my name), so as to save on any customs or taxes. (I''m in Canada, and she''s in the U.S.) I''m sending her some other gifts this way, anyway--that she''ll just keep for me, so that I can wrap them for her birthday once I get there. So I could just ask Knox or whomever to ship the ring discreetly. This would reduce the time crunch a little, as well.

I could be wrong, but I am fairly confident that the setting that febbride posted is going to be CONSIDERABLY over your budget considering their plainer settings are already over budget. So you might not want to show it to her in case she loves it and then you can''t replicate it...

gladyskristen

Brilliant_Rock
I think you can ask Knox to ship the setting to WF and have WF set the stone in it for you. The setting + polishing fee should only be $70.

I''m not sure whether you can get it discreetly sent to ur gf without her suspecting anything. From what I understand, insured Fedex packages are always clearly labelled with the content and the declared value. You can, however, have it shipped to a Fedex station in ur gf''s area and you pick it up when you arrive.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Graven, I agree with neatfreak, do not show her that latest ring because it's going to be WAY over budget. I believe, with your requirements, the nicest ring by far is EBree's suggestion from Knox, leaving about $1000. for a center stone. In fact, when I read your requirements for the setting, this one fulfills all her desires:

"Setting: Must be white gold (CHECK). She would like something a little special; i.e., not just a solitaire. We're looking at a lot of rings with sidestones (CHECK). Also, she'd like a thinner band (CHECK). We love some of the antique replicas we're looking at (CHECK). The antiques, especially the understated art deco designs, are delicate yet provide that "something different" (CHECK). I'd still like something engravable, but it doesn't have to be--we're going to be getting our wedding bands engraved (CHECK)."

I think that Knox setting is so delicate and pretty. I'm sure she'd love it.

As for stones, I like very much the X Factor that gladyskristen linked. I'd ask those who know princess style stones to weigh in on the quality of the X Factor she linked vs. the princess cuts I found upthread.

Lastly, I'd have the ring sent to your gf in the US to avoid any VAT/duty taxes! Just ask them to ship it discreetly packaged so it's unclear what it is. Good idea!

clammer

Shiny_Rock
I can''t sleep so I went on a hunt for reasonably priced settings. I didn''t realize when I first started looking that you were planning on a princess so be sure to check that the settings will accommodate that shape.

Either of these diamonds will get you around your budget. $890 or an X-factor that costs $825 before PS discount.

$660
$630
$639

this is the closest on I found to your original baguette ring that you liked
$849

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would definitely get the ring shipped to your girlfriend''s house!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/25/2007 11:56:56 AM
Author: surfgirl
Graven, I agree with neatfreak, do not show her that latest ring because it''s going to be WAY over budget.

Agreed, even in 18K.

avoid any VAT/duty taxes!

No duty on jewellery shipping into Canada. Excise tax dropped over a year ago. But GST and Prov. taxes still apply, so shipping to a US address would avoid these certainly.
cheers--Sharon

The Graven Acolyte

Rough_Rock
You guys are so awesome. Once I finally get this ring ordered, I wish I could buy all you guys dinner, or something. Seriously... you''ve all been absolutely wonderful, and put so much work into finding the perfect ring for me. I just joined this community as a veritable stranger, and have been fairly demanding in what I''m seeking. And you''ve all been so sweet. I am truly touched.

She linked me to a Blue Nile ring and a Mondera (Mondera won''t let you link to ring pages... under engagement rings -> diamond accent settings, if you deselect "yellow gold", it''s the ring in the middle of the second row with the six tapered baguettes and yellow gold side ornaments), today. Which... confused the heck out of me, because they''re quite contemporary designs. But ever little bit of information she provides me with is great.

I was really loving the anique replicas Rebot found, but my girlfriend said she couldn''t be sure whether or not she liked them, specifically because there was no center stone. I have learned that she prefers the princess and the asscher in many cases, and also likes the x-factor.

EBree has dug up another stunner. Wow. I love it. I actually haven''t shown it to my girlfriend, because I''m strongly considering it (and would want it to be somewhat of a suprise). We were discussing how much she loved the "heart in the basket" from "number four" up above, but the rest of that setting was rather plain. I kinda wish the setting had her baguettes, but I''m wondering is she might love it just as it is.

- I''m wondering... have any of you guys seen anything like EBree''s Loving Hearts Setting, only without the hearts? If I could show my girlfriend a similar band, her reaction might tell me whether this is the ring.

- Also, would this ring have to be set with a princess, or would an x-factor be a possibility?

- I noticed that the ring is a 6.75. My girlfriend maintains that she is a 6, and a size-7 ring she has slides off her ring finger. I don''t mind paying to have the ring re-sized, but the 5-7 days it might take is kind of a killer. That said, if I''m having it couriered to Whiteflash to set the diamond and then mail it on to my girlfriend''s home/town, I''m thinking it should still be doable.

So, not 100% decided on this ring. But I could surprise her with the cut of stone she wants, an antique-like ring, and the hearts, so this setting really moves me. It''s affordable, too. Thanks so much, Ebree! And to the rest of you also. I still have yet to show my girlfriend some of the other rings in this thead.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I'm glad I could help! This might be kind of obvious, but I'd email the picture to Whiteflash to get their opinion on setting a diamond into it. I'm no jeweler, but those prongs have me stumped, and I'd hate to see you out money and time because for whatever reason, the setting's a flop.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2007 1:21:39 AM

- I'm wondering... have any of you guys seen anything like EBree's Loving Hearts Setting, only without the hearts? If I could show my girlfriend a similar band, her reaction might tell me whether this is the ring.
I was looking for something like that for you on Stuller because i remembered that ring (on the right), there are no hearts in the basket.

When Stuller's page was opening there was a ring (on the left) i though you might like too.

Stuller9852.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results