shape
carat
color
clarity

Barsky Jewelers - Philadelphia - Any experiences ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AMF515

Rough_Rock
Anyone have any experiences here ?

good or bad.

thanks

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
You might consider contacting David Atlas of Accredited Gem Laboratories in Philadelphia and asking him if he is familiar with this jeweler. You can find David's contact information on the Appraisers page here on PS, just click on the "appraisers" link at the top of this page.

AMF515

Rough_Rock
thanks. i know he is on this board so I thought he'd chime in if he desires, also interested in customers opinions.

rico

Rough_Rock
Bad experience. I purchased a diamond in early December was told it was GIA certified and the the certification would be sent to me in the mail, but I still haven't received it. Made numerous phone calls which are always met with varied excuses. Barsky's has stopped returning my calls and will not give me an explination.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Barsky's are long time neighbors of mine. Nice looking store. Patrick Ryan has given you some food for thought. I won't offer any defense for not supplying a GIA cert or not calling a customer back. You can make your own judgments pretty easily.

Nathan Barsky

Rough_Rock
Sorry about the confusion, but I remember returning your call. I also remember your diamond be a excellent value. The best certificate in the world is the G.I.A. I mailed out your certificate and I am sorry that it took so long to get it to you. I hope you would not hold it against us. Please remember again the
G.I.A. is the only certificate to accept in the diamond world. Good luck and if I can do anything for please call. My family has been here for one hundred and four years. I plan on being here for eighty more.

lauratabs

Rough_Rock
David,
I was wondering if you could give me some advice. We bought my engagement ring from Barsky's 5 months ago, and since then we have had a lot of problems. First of all, when we recieved the ring, which was to be white gold with a platinum setting for the center stone, it was wrong. It had yellow gold accents instead of white gold, and with knicks and dents all over it. When we went back to correct this, they told me they would have to re-do the entire ring, and since I didn't want to be without my ring, I just settled for what they had given us. I had to go back several times to have them try to buff out the knicks, but everytime they were unsuccessful. As soon as the shine wore off, you could still see the knicks. Only after 1 1/2months my ring began to turn yellow. I had asked initially before purchasing the ring if it would turn yellow, and they told me no it would not. Since it had only been less than 2 months, I went back questioning this, and this time they told me I would probably have to dip my ring every 4 months and there was nothing they would do about this. Just stating if it's yellow it is a good thing because it means it has more gold in it. Well, I've read on line about this and have read just the opposite. If I had known this in the first place I would have never purchased a white gold ring. If I was going to pay every four months to have it dipped, I should have just bough the platinum, like we were considering. But after speaking to him about this concern, and the fact that my mother's ring is white gold, and she has had it 25years and it has never turned yellow, I thought it would be fine. They also told me to clean my ring with regular store bought jewelry cleaner, which I did, but after doing this a film developed on my ring. So once again I took it back to them, where they contradicted themselves again and told me I should never use regular jewelry cleaner, but use windex instead. When we received our wedding bands, my ring was supposed to be a size 5 1/2, sized by them I might add, and the one they sent was not even close to a 5 1/2. It was also supposed to match my engagement ring which had round accents, but this band had square accents. Even the stones on the band were crooked. This took yet another trip back to their store, where they said they would fix it while we waited. After waiting there an hour, we were told we would have to come back the next day to pick it up. Finally, today, as I was cleaning, my hand slipped and barely hit the plastic scrub brush, and the center stone's setting completely bent backwards touching my hand. Keep in mind, this setting was supposed to be Platinum. At this point, I have had enough and want some advice about this. I feel I have been more than understanding, and have not gotten anything except a headache in return. With as many mandatory trips from New Jersey back to their store, they have not even once offered us any type of discount. To top EVERYTHING off, we had paid for parking EVERY time we visited this store and were never informed they had parking vouchers for their customers until our LAST trip there. I want to know your thoughts about my ring turning yellow so quickly, about how often white gold should be redipped, and also about how easy my so-called platinum setting bent. What was supposed to be one of the most joyous occasions of our lives, has turned into one of our biggest nightmares!

Thanks!
Sara DeStefano

Nathan Barsky

Rough_Rock
I am so sorry for your expierence in my store. Please call me direct. I will fix any problem you have. I will come pickup your ring and drop it back off to you if need be. We have many happy customers and that is my mission in life. About your ring, we do not charge to clean and maintain, including rhodium. Please call me I want to fix this for you. I tried to look this sale up under
DeStafano and I can not find anything. I will do anything to make you guys happy.

Nathan Barsky

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Please follow Nate Barsky's offer to you to attempt to salvage your trust and your business. I know any store, no matter how good or bad, can screw up a perfectly good thing from time to time. Barsky's has a way better than average track record for making customers happy. Why not make the attempt to do it? I see no harm in trying. No doubt, they will pay for your parking. Some of the jewelers on Jeweler's Row willingly even pay for parking tickets, if you are a buyer and a customer. I believe it was an oversight, not intentional. Jewelers on the "Row" spend a fortune on customer parking and don't gripe about it.

I do see a long time delay between your posting and Nate's reply, but I believe he does not spend time daily on Pricescope as I do, so that is probably the reason. He sure sounds willing and I know they can do a job equal to or better any other place in our area.

Nathan Barsky

Rough_Rock
Thank you David. We have had different views and that is what is great about you. You are always willing to listen. You also have the meanest motorcycles I have ever seen! My family has been in business for as long as yours. I only want to make my customers happy. I love to be apart of such special occasions. My name is on the door and I care what is said about it. I will surf this site daily now. Thank you for the support David.

Nathan Barsky

aryiana

Rough_Rock

Although I know this is a bit after this thread was started I would like to go on record as saying that I would shop at no other store for diamonds than Barsky.

My sister got her engagement ring there in the mid-late 80''s and I got one from my previous marriage there in 1998. I have had nothing but good experiences there. From Ray, who finally after selling to me a few times realizes I know what I like - and what kind of quality is acceptable to me, to Nathan - who was honest about giving me names of other places to go when my mom wanted a Rolex for her anniversary, to "Barsky senior" who actually sold my sister HER ring.

I am getting married again in a few weeks and am waiting for my engagement ring -- which they are custom making for me since I wanted it in platinum and the diamonds on the display piece were not "quality" enough for me (they detracted from the center stone that I wanted). Last year my fiance and I were in the store getting my diamond and sapphire necklace (another Barsky purchase) cleaned and checked and I ended up walking out with a diamond and sapphire ring (my "promise" ring as we weren''t engaged then -- but promised we would be back when we were ready for the engagement ring).

My first memory of Barsky''s was walking in in sweatpants and a flannel shirt, and although I am sure my fiance and I looked as if we were "window shopping only", we were given the same respect and time as when we walked in and I was in a gown and he in a suit when we purchased the ring.

There was another store I went into wearing my "weekend" clothes and the lady actually had the audacity to tell me she "didn''t have time" to show me what I was looking for. That was her $10K loss.

I also brought a friends'' husband (boyfriend at the time) to Barsky''s when he was ready to purchase an engagement ring for my friend. He was also quite impressed with the professionalism and quality of what he purchased to the extent of going there for their wedding bands as well.

I''m not quite sure about the negative experiences that people have expressed on this thread -- if it was the particular salesperson or what, all I can say is that all my experiences have been quite positive, the prices quite good (I always get my jewelry re-appraised at another jewelry store to make sure the appraisal is on the up and up) and once again, would NEVER get any of my quality jewelry elsewhere.

Cindy Desser, RN

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is no question that the success of Barsky''s for so many years strongly implies far more pleased and happy customers than unhappy ones. Every single store will eventually have a problem with someone. It is inevitable. Good stores have very few unresolved complaints. It is always good to see that stores on Philadelphia''s Jewelers Row are good at making thousands of customers happy over so many years.

Jewelers Row was established in 1852, so our historians indicate. It is the oldest diamond district in the USA and the second largest after New York City. There is an active Association of jewelers who promote the area and more than 100 retail oriented shops in a two block area. The support trade shops in the upper floors of these old buildings is far more extensive than anyone casually shopping might even imagine. One long block from Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell, we see lots of people passing by from all over the world. If you have to work in a city environment, this is one of the good ones to be lucky enough to find yourself in.

Lunadjunio

Rough_Rock
I know this is quite late in the game, but when I searched under ''Barsky Jewelers'' this blog came up... so, I had to register just so that I could tell you guys about my experience at Barsky.

In 2001, my then fiance, Bruno, stopped at Barry Sable and almost made the mistake of purchasing my engagement ring from them. His experience there was awful given the agressive sales tactics of their employees. He had no choice but to go home with an over-priced setting, and no stone after he was told that he would need- at least- $5,000 - if not more- to purchase a princess cut diamond. Needless to say that he decided to shop around. By sheer luck, he ended up at Barsky, where Nathan Barsky personally helped him purchase a beautilf 1.03 carat princess cut of VERY good quality for an exceptional price, turning the whole engagement ring shopping fiasco, into a much more joyful experience.

Even after the stone was set, and the proposal done with, I would go into their store every few months to have my ring serviced- including checking the prongs on ALL of the stones on a setting that was originally not their product- free of charge. They always were EXTREMELY nice and helpful and, as I waited from time to time to have my ring cleaned, I could see that this is how they generally conduct business. In fact, my experience with them was so incredible, that I dropped by a few months later to make another purchase. They carry only the nicest stones, their settings are beautiful, and their service is impeccable!

Unfortunately, about 3 years ago, I moved to Houston, TX. I have yet to find a jeweler here that does not have a hidden, self-serving agenda to make money at the expense of the customer''s happiness and satisfaction. I miss the happy faces and the great service I could ONLY find at Barsky.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/30/2004 6:38
6.gif
6 PM
Author: Lunadjunio
I know this is quite late in the game, but when I searched under ''Barsky Jewelers'' this blog came up... so, I had to register just so that I could tell you guys about my experience at Barsky.

In 2001, my then fiance, Bruno, stopped at Barry Sable and almost made the mistake of purchasing my engagement ring from them. His experience there was awful given the agressive sales tactics of their employees. He had no choice but to go home with an over-priced setting, and no stone after he was told that he would need- at least- $5,000 - if not more- to purchase a princess cut diamond. Needless to say that he decided to shop around. By sheer luck, he ended up at Barsky, where Nathan Barsky personally helped him purchase a beautilf 1.03 carat princess cut of VERY good quality for an exceptional price, turning the whole engagement ring shopping fiasco, into a much more joyful experience.

Even after the stone was set, and the proposal done with, I would go into their store every few months to have my ring serviced- including checking the prongs on ALL of the stones on a setting that was originally not their product- free of charge. They always were EXTREMELY nice and helpful and, as I waited from time to time to have my ring cleaned, I could see that this is how they generally conduct business. In fact, my experience with them was so incredible, that I dropped by a few months later to make another purchase. They carry only the nicest stones, their settings are beautiful, and their service is impeccable!

Unfortunately, about 3 years ago, I moved to Houston, TX. I have yet to find a jeweler here that does not have a hidden, self-serving agenda to make money at the expense of the customer''s happiness and satisfaction. I miss the happy faces and the great service I could ONLY find at Barsky.

RE: Houston area...

Try calling Whiteflash and speak to Lesley , John, Bob or Brian.

Although they are diamond sellers primarilly, they do sell rings, and I''m sure would be happy to make friends with you. They are all nice people and knowledeable, as well as professional.

Rockdoc

meghannk

Rough_Rock
This thread is pretty old, but it was one of the first things that came up when I did a search for Barsky Jewelers and I felt compelled to read it since I am currently doing business with them. After reading some of these posts, I now feel the need to offer up some of my own info!

I was having a lot of trouble finding a wedding band that I thought would look just right with my sixty-some year old heirloom engagement ring, especially when I factored in my not-so-large budget, so a friend suggested I visit Nate Barsky. She had recently had her own gorgeous wedding band custom made by Barsky at a very fair price (which made her a very satisfied customer). I stopped in to discuss the possibility of creating a matching band for my ring and Nate was full of helpful information. I''ve been to the store a few times now and have always left pleased. The staff is very friendly and very helpful. My ring is actually with them right now ... a mold being made to get an estimate on that matching band I now have my heart set on! From what I''ve experienced so far, I can only imagine I''ll be back on here in a few weeks reporting that I, like my friend, am another satisfied customer.

Hope this helps whoever else stumbles onto this page!

mamchris

Rough_Rock
Thanks meghannk
I have been debating whether or not to go with Barksy or another jeweler on Samson St. -- Campbell. Did you hear anything about them? I would love to hear more about your ring. I am looking for a new setting for my 16 year old ering. Seems we might have been married the same amount of time. Good luck!

Sashabella

Rough_Rock
Is it just me or is the fact the majority of the supportive Barksy posts from posters writing thier first post kind of suspect? I don''t know the store or the guy or anyting about it at all but ti seems odd!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I've been meaning to add to this thread, but please do note that I have not actually bought from Barsky.

When my bf and I first started looking at rings, this was the very first store we happened upon. At that point, I really had no idea what I wanted still so we mostly looked around and then left. Like more people at PS, the diamond bug bit me and I became a little obsessed and found PS shortly after this first visit. So I spent some time on PS learning, and then perhaps a month later we set out to try on some cushions (my new shape of choice).

So on our second visit, we spent some time with one of their salesmen. He was VERY pushy. I told him that I wanted a cushion, which they probably don't stock many of. But he brought me out a very small looking (quite deep!) 1 ct stone. And kept telling me how great it was. It was a VS1, J stone w/ med blue fluor. He kept trying to tell me that the stone looked so white because it had such great clarity. From my wonderful PS education, I knew this was complete crap but didn't say anything. It was a pretty stone, and though it did look fairly white (likely due to the FLUOR! and certainly not the clarity) for a J, I know that is further than I am willing to go in a cushion- not to mention my issues with the depth. I asked to see any other stones they had, and he brought a 1.25 with an icky dead center. The defining memory for me on this day was the PRESSURE. Luckily my bf is not bothered by that at all, and I knew we were not ready to buy that day and still wanted to continue looking and learning. My bf was actually amused as the salesman kept pulling him away from me and telling him over and over that he just knew this was the one! We were using an ok setting to look at the stones, but definitely not something I wanted to BUY! It was a very high pressure setting, IMO.

Pricing was ok, I guess. Obviously it's not going to match what we get on the net, but it wasn't horribly out in left field.

So that's it. We won't be returning for my e-ring, and probably would not look to buy other jewelry there either.

jsblade

Rough_Rock
just bought my fiancee''s ring at barsky about 5 weeks ago and can''t rave enough about the service, quality and knowledge of the staff. nate personally helped with a center stone that was mom''s bought in 1965. not a barsky diamond. sat there with me, mapped it out, reappraised it and bartered a good game over the platinum setting. i got more than i expected in the setting and am a 100% satisified customer. the entire time i was in the store, a philly cop stood by my car since the meter was broken compliments of the kind folks at barksy. totally unbelievable. but that''s not all. the ring was too large. i called the shop after finally proposing and they said stop on in. stopped in and the ring was resized in 15 mintues while my fiancee and i waited. how''s that for service?

nate, you have a customer for life with tons of unmarried friends.

katmar

Rough_Rock
Hi Mr. Barsky,

My husband and I bought my engagement ring and our wedding bands from your store in year 2000 and we have since moved to San Diego, California. One of the 6 prongs holding the center diamond on my engagement ring is bent very badly and it needs to be repaired. What is the best way to get it fixed? I hardly wore the ring in the past 2 years (due to baby and pregnancy) and was always very careful with it. The ring is made of platinum which is supposed to be strong so I was very surprised and disappointed to find it damaged.

Any suggestions on how I should get it repaired? Do you know of a good jeweler here or would Barsky stand behind its product and repair it free-of-charge somehow?

BTW, we loved the service we got from you when we shopped for our rings and have since recommended you to our friends in Philadelphia.

Regards,
Kathy

jjirishl

Rough_Rock
I am about to purchase a Mother''s Day gift for my wife. There is no question about where I will go to make today''s jewelry purchase. While I do not buy big-ticket items, the family and staff at Barsky''s always treat me very well. They did our engagement ring, wedding bands, and several other gifts for my wife. They have always delivered what they promised on-time, and always backed it up with services like cleaning and resizing. I would strongly recommend this family business to anyone thinking about making a purchase!

Jimbo34

Rough_Rock
1 sorry couldn''t help it
20.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2005 1:26:24 AM
Author: Sashabella
Is it just me or is the fact the majority of the supportive Barksy posts from posters writing thier first post kind of suspect? I don''t know the store or the guy or anyting about it at all but ti seems odd!

i agree...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Me three!!
2.gif

Jimbo34

Rough_Rock
Still can't firgure out why this thread hasn't been pulled, it has no value......I'm sure I will get in trouble for this post though.

Maybe we are the only 4 (Sashabella, mrssalvo, kaleigh) who view it like that.

Jimbo34

ctm

Rough_Rock
Although I do not have many posts thus I do not have much "trustworthyness" and I do aswell think is seems unlikely, it is possible that the jeweler just asked satisfied customers to post here to help defend his reputation.

Perhaps it is possible for the administator to check the IP addresses of those posters to ensure it is not all coming from one IP address?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Guys, this topic has value as well as any topic regarding local (B&M) or internet vendors. We are monitoring how people find this or similar topics and make sure there is no abuses.

I'm absolutely certain that people who reading replies can see it through and separate valuable and helpful information from disguised promotions. Both serve their purpose...
34.gif

Although I know that you meant well, guys, but these last four or five replies make it unfriendly for the genuine consumers to participate and share their experience.

That's why we ask send your concerns about the posts and moderation via PM's or emails.

dastewar

Rough_Rock
I felt that the people there were nice and helpful. They allowed me to take the diamond I was looking at outside in the daylight, which nobody else offered to do. (No biggie, but though it was nice). My visit to Barsky was my introduction to the 10% off RAP pricing technique.

I searched the web to find out about RAP and found this site, which is the best resource a diamond buyer should read. Thanks, Pricescope!

Nathan Barsky

Rough_Rock
I have not visited this site for awhile. I would never use this site for promotions and I appreciate the kind words from dedicated customers. I run a family business with much of my older family involved. You can only imagine the stress involved. I try my best to make all customers happy. I seldom visit this site because reading certain things about my salestaff being pushy or slimy makes me sick. I am a busy store and I can not take care of all customers. I have to rely on staff to represent my name. I am sorry if anybody felt pushed or sold. I ask everyone to ask for me. I love this site because it educates. I love when a customer comes in with questions about cut or shape that stumps my salespeople. Then I know this person surfs pricescope. Please if anybody has a problem with my store contact me.

Nate
1.gif

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/14/2005 1:26:24 AM
Author: Sashabella
Is it just me or is the fact the majority of the supportive Barksy posts from posters writing thier first post kind of suspect? I don't know the store or the guy or anyting about it at all but ti seems odd!
It may or may not be the case here, but I tend to think that posts on a public forum complaining about a product or service are done either to gain leverage with the seller for addressing the issue, or to make a google-searchable record of it for retribution of some sort. Not a big deal to me since I try to read between the lines on these things. Nor do I have a problem with a seller who may have seen the complaint, felt unfairly singled out, and asks some of his satisfied customer to post honest opinions about good experiences as well.

Nathan, I liked your response on the other thread here. Makes me wish I was in the business and enjoyed my job like that
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results