clarity

Bargain price on new Hermes Birkin bag

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
suchende|1296575854|2839372 said:
Dancing Fire|1296546187|2839095 said:
suchende|1296540648|2839045 said:
I agree that it's hard to relate to, but I am sure BF's grandparents, aunts and uncles in Bangladesh would find how we live also very hard to relate to. BF's mom gave me a $500 handbag for Christmas. That must seem pretty outrageous in a country where a working class person is pulling in $1,000 a year.

ETA: and the Birkin pricetag must seem criminal!
sooo...you are saying that all PSers are criminals ?... :devil:
I will tell you what my momma told me: everyone lives paycheck to paycheck. Some people just have to work a little harder at spending to feel the pinch by the end of the month.
well,your momma is wrong!!...11% of the PSer's annual income is over $100K,but i ain't one of them... ;(

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
well ladies, you can all blame MB for the price increase on Hermes bags,b/c she cornered the Hermes handbag market ... :lol:

MB...beautiful collection.. :!: ... :appl: :appl:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tuckins1|1296516370|2838637 said:
WTF is wrong with people?!? I just can't wrap my head around spending that kind of money on a purse.... Even if I made that much every day- what's the point?

Hey, I've spent a few hundred dollars on a meal that's ended up as pee and poo, so I'm afraid I really can't call the kettle black.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1296589737|2839633 said:
well ladies, you can all blame MB for the price increase on Hermes bags,b/c she cornered the Hermes handbag market ...

I believe I already said that.

Dancing Fire|1296589737|2839633 said:
MB...beautiful collection..

If I didn't already say that, I should have! You are what makes the shopping thread so entertaining, Madam Bijoux! Fabulous collection!

Hugs,
Deb
:read:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Dancing Fire|1296588797|2839612 said:
suchende|1296575854|2839372 said:
I will tell you what my momma told me: everyone lives paycheck to paycheck. Some people just have to work a little harder at spending to feel the pinch by the end of the month.
well,your momma is wrong!!...11% of the PSer's annual income is over $100K,but i ain't one of them... ;(
my parents' household income is in the mid-6-figures and they still live paycheck to paycheck my friend. you can live barely within your means at a lot of pricepoints.

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
purselover|1296481244|2838066 said:
Just curious, what do you think of $260,000 cars is that more/less/equally insane? I'm trying to understand are you against any expensive consumer goods, or just expensive purses?

I don't think that is a fair question. Even the most basic of a new car is what? Anywhere from like $14,000 (ford fiesta) and the most basic new purse is nowhere close to that at what maybe $14-20? So in order for the car to be as extravagant as a Birkin bag, I would think it would it would have to be in comparison to average cars. For example, lets say an average purse is $60, the Birkin is 4333x more expensive than the average. If the average car was $25,000 x 4333 = $108,333,333? Maybe my logic/math is flawed, but I still don't think comparing a 260,000 car to a 260,000 purse is quite fair, just as it would not be fair to compare it to a $260,000 house.

But anyway, I think if I had millions and millions of dollars, I don't think I would ever buy a several hundred thousand dollar bag. Ever. I don't think I would buy any one thing that was several hundred thousand dollars, except a house! Not a car, not a diamond, not a purse, not shoes etc. I think I would be more extravagant than I am now. I would get a 2 1/2 carat diamond. I would get a BMW. I would get a nice house and fill it with furniture. I would go on vacations as I please. Plus, no offense, I think Birkin bags are ugly :(( I have never seen one that I thought was attractive enough to cost even $500, but I guess my style is just different.

If you have the money, go for it. But I may still think you are crazy, just as people may think I am crazy for what I buy.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iugurl|1296594720|2839720 said:
But anyway, I think if I had millions and millions of dollars, I don't think I would ever buy a several hundred thousand dollar bag. Ever. I don't think I would buy any one thing that was several hundred thousand dollars, except a house!

I am not 100% sure my logic holds up, but I believe that my position and yours can co-exist. My position is that it is understandable that if I would spend $75,000 or $80,000 on a diamond, given my socio-economic status, that it should be fine for someone of far greater wealth to spend far more on a luxury purse (or antique car or whatever).

On the other hand, like you, I, personally, cannot see myself spending several hundred thousand dollars on anything other than a house; land; or a charitable donation; even if I were a billionaire.

Deb/AGBF

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock
Is there a reason why the price is so high? what's the exact material that's used?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CherryBlossom|1296642927|2840448 said:
Is there a reason why the price is so high? what's the exact material that's used?

Many reasons Cherry, you are paying for the prestige and history of the Hermes brand. The bags are handmade by one of a team of Hermes artisans and are skilfully saddlestitched, so if a stitch breaks, the rest of the seam won't unravel. Only the best leathers are used, Hermes are very particular about the quality of the leather they use for their bags. Hermes use various leathers and some exotic skins such as crocodile, lizard and ostrich, the latter three are far more expensive than a ' basic' leather. Also should anything happen to the bag, for example, over many years a new handle might be needed, new hardware, restitching etc, you can bring the bag back to Hermes and they will repair it for you.

But for me, the quality of the bags is what I appreciate. If you look at a Kelly or Birkin in person, the quality is evident, the cut of the leather, perfect stitching, the time and skill that goes into making these bags is plain to see. If you buy a Hermes bag, you can quite reasonably expect it to last a lifetime with care and even beyond.

Hopefully this video will work, it shows how the bags are made.

http://www.femtalks.com/shopping/hermes-the-making-of-the-bag/

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All the men I meet notice the Hermes bags and ask me if they can touch them. (I remember a time when they asked if they could touch me :(sad ;( )

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Madam Bijoux|1296656427|2840523 said:
All the men I meet notice the Hermes bags and ask me if they can touch them. (I remember a time when they asked if they could touch me :(sad ;( )

:lol: :lol: :lol:

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Lorelei|1296658464|2840560 said:
Madam Bijoux|1296656427|2840523 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
:o :shock: :lol:

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
MB - Those are some absolutely lovely bags! Wear them in good health!!!

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock
Lorelei|1296648449|2840466 said:

Many reasons Cherry, you are paying for the prestige and history of the Hermes brand. The bags are handmade by one of a team of Hermes artisans and are skilfully saddlestitched, so if a stitch breaks, the rest of the seam won't unravel. Only the best leathers are used, Hermes are very particular about the quality of the leather they use for their bags. Hermes use various leathers and some exotic skins such as crocodile, lizard and ostrich, the latter three are far more expensive than a ' basic' leather. Also should anything happen to the bag, for example, over many years a new handle might be needed, new hardware, restitching etc, you can bring the bag back to Hermes and they will repair it for you.

But for me, the quality of the bags is what I appreciate. If you look at a Kelly or Birkin in person, the quality is evident, the cut of the leather, perfect stitching, the time and skill that goes into making these bags is plain to see. If you buy a Hermes bag, you can quite reasonably expect it to last a lifetime with care and even beyond.

That was great info, I feel like I always annoy people on here or elsewhere when I ask about the specifics or even science behind why things are cut/made/cost what they do. But this is always good to know.

Since you own some pieces, let me ask you (and Madam Bijoux) something that I am honestly very curious about but I hope I don't sound presumptuous. Do you think that the price is worth it and accurate? or do you think that you're paying a inflated price/premium just for the brand. In other words, if the bag was the same exact quality/color etc. but didn't have the brand name, would it still be worth the prices that you have paid for it?

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

Chery Blossom, I think Hermes bags are ridiculously overpriced, even considering the craftsmanship, the materials and the overhead. But we who play must pay. :))

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CherryBlossom|1296766337|2842118 said:
Lorelei|1296648449|2840466 said:

That was great info, I feel like I always annoy people on here or elsewhere when I ask about the specifics or even science behind why things are cut/made/cost what they do. But this is always good to know.

Since you own some pieces, let me ask you (and Madam Bijoux) something that I am honestly very curious about but I hope I don't sound presumptuous. Do you think that the price is worth it and accurate? or do you think that you're paying a inflated price/premium just for the brand. In other words, if the bag was the same exact quality/color etc. but didn't have the brand name, would it still be worth the prices that you have paid for it?

Glad to help Cherry! Not annoying at all, we always try to share any info we have on many different subjects!

Do I think the prices are worth it....Put it this way, I would still pay a pretty penny for my beloved Kellys even if the Hermes name wasn't there because I love the style and craftsmanship, but I wouldn't want to spend the amounts I have without the Hermes name as the history of the brand is something I value. I suppose if you had a car that looked just like a Ferrari and performed like one, you might pay a decent amount of money for it but not as much as if it had the Ferrari name...Another thing I find very cool is to look at old photos of Grace Kelly or other glamorous ladies in the fifties and sixties carrying Kellys, the bags are timeless and the style hasn't changed at all over the years, unless you count that recently that the bags were being produced with double rings and also come with shoulder straps ( which I never use).

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
"I think if I had millions and millions of dollars, I don't think I would ever buy a several hundred thousand dollar bag. Ever. I don't think I would buy any one thing that was several hundred thousand dollars, except a house!"

Agreed.

Hermes makes lovely bags, and other things. No question. And I don't begrudge MB her collection. It's quite impressive.

But, under no circumstances, I don't care if my name is Oprah Winfrey, should I spend more than a quarter of a million dollars on purse. OR a car. It is completely ridiculous to think anyone deserves, or is entitled to, that kind of excess.

It doesn't matter who can afford it. That's a mute point, IMO.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MB -- Beautiful! Your collection is just amazing.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HollyS|1296771083|2842208 said:
But, under no circumstances, I don't care if my name is Oprah Winfrey, should I spend more than a quarter of a million dollars on purse. OR a car. It is completely ridiculous to think anyone deserves, or is entitled to, that kind of excess.

What if you name is Elizabeth Windsor and you want to spend some of your personal fortune on a very special gem? Is that point also moot? Let's say, hypothetically, that a new Golconda diamond (a new ancient one, of course) has been discovered.

Deb/AGBF

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
I would assume one would purchase insurance for such bags? Otherwise, they would be SOL if they're purse got snatched.

I personally could never see myself buying such a piece even if I had a billion dollars. I just couldn't put that kind of money into something like that when I know it could help so many people. I would rather put that money into cancer research or something like that, but that's just me. And yeah, that color is icky.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iugurl|1296594720|2839720 said:
purselover|1296481244|2838066 said:
Just curious, what do you think of $260,000 cars is that more/less/equally insane? I'm trying to understand are you against any expensive consumer goods, or just expensive purses?

I don't think that is a fair question. Even the most basic of a new car is what? Anywhere from like $14,000 (ford fiesta) and the most basic new purse is nowhere close to that at what maybe $14-20? So in order for the car to be as extravagant as a Birkin bag, I would think it would it would have to be in comparison to average cars. For example, lets say an average purse is $60, the Birkin is 4333x more expensive than the average. If the average car was $25,000 x 4333 = $108,333,333? Maybe my logic/math is flawed, but I still don't think comparing a 260,000 car to a 260,000 purse is quite fair, just as it would not be fair to compare it to a $260,000 house.

Right.

$260,000 for a purse is an insane mark up! Like you said, for a car to be equally as marked up, it would have to be over a million dollars. Crazy!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1296836366|2842895 said:

What if your name is Elizabeth Windsor and you want to spend some of your personal fortune on a very special gem? Is that point also moot? Let's say, hypothetically, that a new Golconda diamond (a new ancient one, of course) has been discovered.

Deb/AGBF

But no one responded to my question!

ElizabethWinsdsorakaHerMajestyTheQueen.jpg

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1296590189|2839649 said:
Tuckins1|1296516370|2838637 said:
WTF is wrong with people?!? I just can't wrap my head around spending that kind of money on a purse.... Even if I made that much every day- what's the point?

Hey, I've spent a few hundred dollars on a meal that's ended up as pee and poo, so I'm afraid I really can't call the kettle black.

LOL!!!!! I hear you, TGal :!:

Madam, thank you for sharing your pictures with us! :wavey:

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock
Madam Bijoux|1296769247|2842170 said:
Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

Chery Blossom, I think Hermes bags are ridiculously overpriced, even considering the craftsmanship, the materials and the overhead. But we who play must pay. :))

I really love your level of honesty. It's refreshing.

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock
Lorelei|1296769788|2842178 said:
Glad to help Cherry! Not annoying at all, we always try to share any info we have on many different subjects!

Do I think the prices are worth it....Put it this way, I would still pay a pretty penny for my beloved Kellys even if the Hermes name wasn't there because I love the style and craftsmanship, but I wouldn't want to spend the amounts I have without the Hermes name as the history of the brand is something I value. I suppose if you had a car that looked just like a Ferrari and performed like one, you might pay a decent amount of money for it but not as much as if it had the Ferrari name...Another thing I find very cool is to look at old photos of Grace Kelly or other glamorous ladies in the fifties and sixties carrying Kellys, the bags are timeless and the style hasn't changed at all over the years, unless you count that recently that the bags were being produced with double rings and also come with shoulder straps ( which I never use).

I see. That makes sense. I don't still don't fully understand it but I also think that it has a lot to do w/ the fact that I am in my early 20s and can't imagine having that much money to spend on ANYTHING, let alone a purse. I can see the lil monster in me coming out and falling in love with these gorgeous pieces. While others don't think that it's feminine, I think that they are beautiful pieces. There's something so feminine yet strong about the look. It's like the ultimate cross section of poise and confidence. It reminds me a lot of Jacqueline Kennedy's persona.

I have never been very interested in purses, but in the last few months I've been browsing various sites and I want to buy a few nice pieces. I just don't know much about purses in general. The only purses that I have are ones that either my fiance or family members bought for me. I have a few non brand name purses, a few Coach purses, a classic black quilted Chanel bag, Louis Vuitton/stephen sprouse/marc jacobs collaboration Graffiti Fuchsia Speedy, and my most grown up purse is my Louis Vuitton Trevi PM which makes me feel a bit silly because it looks and feels SO GROWN UP. lol. I want to save up a lil and buy some classic pieces that will be timeless, where do you think I should start? what do you recommend?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see. That makes sense. I don't still don't fully understand it but I also think that it has a lot to do w/ the fact that I am in my early 20s and can't imagine having that much money to spend on ANYTHING, let alone a purse. I can see the lil monster in me coming out and falling in love with these gorgeous pieces. While others don't think that it's feminine, I think that they are beautiful pieces. There's something so feminine yet strong about the look. It's like the ultimate cross section of poise and confidence. It reminds me a lot of Jacqueline Kennedy's persona.

I have never been very interested in purses, but in the last few months I've been browsing various sites and I want to buy a few nice pieces. I just don't know much about purses in general. The only purses that I have are ones that either my fiance or family members bought for me. I have a few non brand name purses, a few Coach purses, a classic black quilted Chanel bag, Louis Vuitton/stephen sprouse/marc jacobs collaboration Graffiti Fuchsia Speedy, and my most grown up purse is my Louis Vuitton Trevi PM which makes me feel a bit silly because it looks and feels SO GROWN UP. lol. I want to save up a lil and buy some classic pieces that will be timeless, where do you think I should start? what do you recommend?
[/quote]

It depends on your taste and how much you want to spend, a ' basic' Birkin or Kelly is going to be very expensive but if you didn't want to invest that much to begin with, something like a Trim by Hermes would be very classic and timeless. They are no longer made but you can pick them up from good vintage resellers sometimes quite reasonably priced. See the attached images of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis wearing one and a photo example of the Trim. These can sometimes be found made entirely of leather rather than the leather/ toile combination shown.

Also a Constance like Madame Bijoux has on the preceding page is also very classic and timeless. Hermes also make other bags that aren't as expensive as the mighty Kelly and Birkin such as the Herbag and Picotin. If you have a store near you, go in and browse sometime and see how you like the bags and the other beautiful things the brand has to offer, I could spend a fortune in Hermes in moments! :errrr:

gucci-reedition-di-un-cult_asp41795img1.jpg

imagesCASZYPFO.jpg

imagesCAJK4CTZ.jpg

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock
Lorelei|1296920776|2843928 said:
It depends on your taste and how much you want to spend, a ' basic' Birkin or Kelly is going to be very expensive but if you didn't want to invest that much to begin with, something like a Trim by Hermes would be very classic and timeless. They are no longer made but you can pick them up from good vintage resellers sometimes quite reasonably priced. See the attached images of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis wearing one and a photo example of the Trim. These can sometimes be found made entirely of leather rather than the leather/ toile combination shown.

Also a Constance like Madame Bijoux has on the preceding page is also very classic and timeless. Hermes also make other bags that aren't as expensive as the mighty Kelly and Birkin such as the Herbag and Picotin. If you have a store near you, go in and browse sometime and see how you like the bags and the other beautiful things the brand has to offer, I could spend a fortune in Hermes in moments! :errrr:

awww those pix are gorgeous of her.

btw, hahahahahaha, I apologize but I don't think I made myself clear. I wasn't asking about buying an Hermes... I was asking you about general purse buying advice. The few that I have were usually bought for me, but I was asking for recommendations on what else is timeless.... while I work my way up to the Hermes. LOL. sorry :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"I think if I had millions and millions of dollars, I don't think I would ever buy a several hundred thousand dollar bag. Ever. I don't think I would buy any one thing that was several hundred thousand dollars, except a house!"

Agreed.

Hermes makes lovely bags, and other things. No question. And I don't begrudge MB her collection. It's quite impressive.

It doesn't matter who can afford it. That's a mute point, IMO.

Pish posh. The concept of excess went out with high-button greaves. Get thee into New Gilded Age!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1296836366|2842895 said:

What if you name is Elizabeth Windsor and you want to spend some of your personal fortune on a very special gem? Is that point also moot? Let's say, hypothetically, that a new Golconda diamond (a new ancient one, of course) has been discovered.

Deb/AGBF

WHY would I, as Queen Elizabeth, NEED more jewelry??? Even extraordinary wealth doesn't excuse some excesses. THAT'S what my point is. A nearly priceless antiquity? Maybe. A purse? Never. Another necklace or tiara? What for?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What people do with their money is none of my business.
Live and let live.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results