shape
carat
color
clarity

Bargain price on new Hermes Birkin bag

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I'm ignorant of these matters, but why isn't a Louis Vuitton good enough? :???:

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
A quarter of a million dollars? More than a quarter of a million, really . . .

That is $100,000.00+ more than the purchase price of our home. A house in TX for that price might reside on a golf course in a toney neighborhood. Maybe not in Dallas or Houston, but elsewhere.

Compare owning a very nice home to owning a . . . handbag. Words fail me.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I would never want to spend what that cost on luggage in the first place but even if I did I could by a whole set of hard sided Louis Vuitton luggage, trunks, travel trunks, custom made pieces to store various items, etc. That price is unreal. It's a frightening shame that there are people in the world who can spend that for just that. It makes you wonder what else they could do with that kind of money.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I belong to a forum that focuses on handbags, it also happens to be a place where a LOT of women of wealth post. I can recall off the top of my head, one woman who has MANY Birkin bags. When I say many, I mean lots and lots--it's surreal. I don't know much about her, what she does for a living or where she lives, nor do I know her socio economic class...but I'm willing to bet money isn't something she ever worries about.

I think it's easy to be blown away by a number like that...I mean, without a doubt, it's certainly a lot...but money is really a relative thing. If you make 100k a year, 10k seems like a lot...but if you make 200k a year 10k suddenly looks and feels like a lot less. Same logic applies if you make 2m a year, 100k changes meaning.

All I know about Hermes is this...to get your hands on a Birkin, there is a LONG wait list...so, obviously, someone out there is spending that kind of money on purses.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I just spent, like, a week trying to make myself like purses as much as I like jewelry (I have a b-day coming up, and I could not for the life of me figure out what I wanted to get to mark the occasion). They funny thing is, while I quite like Hermes as a company - great political history, excellent standards, good design, exemplary employee policies - I don't think I'd ever buy one of their purses, because they just don't seem to fit my lifestyle (the thought of cramming a paperback into a Birkin just seems a little off, somehow). That said, I totally feel the pull of them, purely for their status value. Fascinating, how well Hermes managed to establish their brand so as to have that effect! It's just the kind of thing I admire most: no logos, no flashiness; just excellent craftsmanship coupled with a design that's sufficiently recognizable as to be uniquely aspirational. I say, good on them (even as I quietly gag a little at the pricetag :twisted: ).

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That strikes me as a crazy amount of money to spend on a handbag, but then... my mother thought I was crazy to spend a few thousand on a diamond right hand ring.

It's all relative.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Yes. Hermes has lovely handmade bags. No question. Perhaps even the very best.

And if everyone obsessed with owning a 'status symbol' would stop pushing and shoving to be the next name at the top of The List of Buyers, perhaps the prices would be not quite so stratospheric overall.

Because, at the end of the day, a Birken is still just a handbag. No matter how posh, or elegant, or scarce, or coveted. It's a flippin' purse.

No offense intended to Hermes collectors. They rest of us just don't share the mindset.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
HollyS|1296425242|2837641 said:

And if everyone obsessed with owning a 'status symbol' would stop pushing and shoving to be the next name at the top of The List of Buyers, perhaps the prices would be not quite so stratospheric overall.

Because, at the end of the day, a Birken is still just a handbag. No matter how posh, or elegant, or scarce, or coveted. It's a flippin' purse.

No offense intended to Hermes collectors. They rest of us just don't share the mindset.

I think it's more along the lines of some don't share the mind set. There are many people with disposable income.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Only one handbag has ever registered on my radar as "ooooh! Pretty! WANT!" and that is this one, in saddle brown, rather than fern. I've seen one in person, and it is absolutely gorgeous. (I also have one of their small calendar/planners and I've had it for 20 years and it looks brand new.) I keep saying I'm going to spring for it one day, and almost made the hump at Christmas, then backed off again. There's still a lot of year left though.

http://www.oberondesign.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=707

Yeah, that price is a bit beyond the pale, to say the least.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Italiahaircolor|1296422439|2837593 said:
All I know about Hermes is this...to get your hands on a Birkin, there is a LONG wait list...so, obviously, someone out there is spending that kind of money on purses.

We just had a discussion like this in Colored Stones. Spurred on by a discussion of Paraiba Tourmalines. The reality is, I'd spent $75,000 or $80,000 (if I had it...which I do not) to buy a 3 carat D colored VS clarity ideal cut diamond to replace the stone I currently wear in my solitaire. What's the difference? It's all just a matter of degree.

And I think Madam Bijoux is buying up all those Birkin bags, by the way.

Deb
:read:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Madame Bijoux has a fabulous collection. I always love hearing when she gets a new one.... :)) She has great taste period.

I don't love high end shoes. I like a nice purse, but only until recently.. I blame PS for everything..... :bigsmile: Just kidding. :wavey:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1296426549|2837655 said:

We just had a discussion like this in Colored Stones. Spurred on by a discussion of Paraiba Tourmalines. The reality is, I'd spent $75,000 or $80,000 (if I had it...which I do not) to buy a 3 carat D colored VS clarity ideal cut diamond to replace the stone I currently wear in my solitaire. What's the difference? It's all just a matter of degree.

Deb

yep, must be MB... :))

purselover

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1296426549|2837655 said:

Deb

I agree it's all relative! I currently have a small side fund going for a (cow) leather Birkin, DH and I both agreed as soon as his law school loans are paid off that Birkin is mine! I'd also like an engagement ring upgrade one day, but right now I'll take the Birkin over a new diamond. :love: A few of our friends think I'm insane spending that type of money on a bag, but if we can afford it who cares? Look at how many people spend significant amounts of money on things like jewelry/watches/cars, and no one blinks, but a purse is seen as silly.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

I'm with Holly on this. It's a flipin purse. If you have $260,000 to spend on a single purse, you're not doing it to get a purse that's worth $260,000 because it's only worth that in the imagination of the con artists who manage to get that kind of a price for a purse and the fools that pay it.

Wealth isn't all "relative." There is a huge disparity in income within countries and among countries all over the globe. This kind of wealth disparity isn't "relative." It's lacking in perspective. This kind of wealth in which material objects are divorced from value and become this bizarre auction of status seekers to prove how much money they can throw at a purse rests on the backs of other people in this world. You can be sure of that.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1296430035|2837700 said:

I'm with Holly on this. It's a flipin purse. If you have $260,000 to spend on a single purse, you're not doing it to get a purse that's worth $260,000 because it's only worth that in the imagination of the con artists who manage to get that kind of a price for a purse and the fools that pay it.

Wealth isn't all "relative." There is a huge disparity in income within countries and among countries all over the globe. This kind of wealth disparity isn't "relative." It's lacking in perspective. This kind of wealth in which material objects are divorced from value and become this bizarre auction of status seekers to prove how much money they can throw at a purse rests on the backs of other people in this world. You can be sure of that.

Wealth is absolutely, without a doubt relative as applied to this context and needs to be discussed within the proper context. We cannot lump 3rd world countries into discussing the value of a 260k purse, because it's an unrealistic conversation. As a matter of fact, It's not realistic to imagine that someone making a moderate living could ever afford a Birkin bag with a 260k price tag. However, if you're speaking about someone who makes 3mil a year, it's not outrageous. Same could be said for someone who makes 30k a year and buys a nice Coach bag valued at $260.00.

And, I think I should just point out...Birkin bags hold their value better than diamonds do and in this current economic climate, houses do. If you purchased a diamond for $10,000 and needed to unload it, you could recoup a portion--but not the entire cost. Whereas, a Birkin kept in mint condition could reap as much if not more than what you paid. Bags like the one posted; the limited edition, rare bags that are documented in Hermes history if purchased by a collector and allowed to mature without usage and sent to auction as a NWT vintage Hermes LE Birkin would be almost priceless to another collector.

I guess the moral is, one mans diamond is another mans purse. People value what they do, and that's life.

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
I belong to a forum that focuses on handbags, it also happens to be a place where a LOT of women of wealth post. I can recall off the top of my head, one woman who has MANY Birkin bags. When I say many, I mean lots and lots--it's surreal. I don't know much about her, what she does for a living or where she lives, nor do I know her socio economic class...but I'm willing to bet money isn't something she ever worries about.

I think it's easy to be blown away by a number like that...I mean, without a doubt, it's certainly a lot...but money is really a relative thing. If you make 100k a year, 10k seems like a lot...but if you make 200k a year 10k suddenly looks and feels like a lot less. Same logic applies if you make 2m a year, 100k changes meaning.

Ditto - it is relative to how much you make or have really.

Birkins are hard to get even when you are rich. There is a waiting list and certain types are more rare.
I think adds to their costs.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
ksinger|1296426006|2837652 said:

Only one handbag has ever registered on my radar as "ooooh! Pretty! WANT!" and that is this one, in saddle brown, rather than fern. I've seen one in person, and it is absolutely gorgeous. (I also have one of their small calendar/planners and I've had it for 20 years and it looks brand new.) I keep saying I'm going to spring for it one day, and almost made the hump at Christmas, then backed off again. There's still a lot of year left though.

http://www.oberondesign.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=707

Yeah, that price is a bit beyond the pale, to say the least.

That's an absolutely beautiful bag. I covet that one! :love:

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Italiahaircolor|1296433839|2837753 said:
Wealth is absolutely, without a doubt relative as applied to this context and needs to be discussed within the proper context. We cannot lump 3rd world countries into discussing the value of a 260k purse, because it's an unrealistic conversation. As a matter of fact, It's not realistic to imagine that someone making a moderate living could ever afford a Birkin bag with a 260k price tag. However, if you're speaking about someone who makes 3mil a year, it's not outrageous. Same could be said for someone who makes 30k a year and buys a nice Coach bag valued at $260.00.

And, I think I should just point out...Birkin bags hold their value better than diamonds do and in this current economic climate, houses do. If you purchased a diamond for $10,000 and needed to unload it, you could recoup a portion--but not the entire cost. Whereas, a Birkin kept in mint condition could reap as much if not more than what you paid. Bags like the one posted; the limited edition, rare bags that are documented in Hermes history if purchased by a collector and allowed to mature without usage and sent to auction as a NWT vintage Hermes LE Birkin would be almost priceless to another collector.

I guess the moral is, one mans diamond is another mans purse. People value what they do, and that's life.

+1

A girl on the other forum owns a Birkin very similar to the one Kenny posted, but in black crocodile with diamonds. It is not "just a purse" - it's a work of art. A wearable work of art.

I don't own a Birkin and I doubt I will ever be able to, unless Madam Bijoux takes pity on me and writes me into her will! :naughty:

The Birkins I've seen IRL have absolutely taken my breath away. The level of craftsmanship is incredibly dazzling. Everything about it is just so undeniably perfect. :love: :love: :love: Yes, some people don't get it, and that's ok. Some people are satisfied with less than perfection, and that's ok too...

But as for me, I want the Birkin.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I continue not to "get it" as to why a single purse is worth the better part of $300,000. I think that's just stupid if not insidious. That's my opinion anyway.

I had a Louis Vuitton checkbook cover many years ago before they increased their production and moved some of it out of France.

The quality of the leather and the stitching was perfect. Absolutely perfect. It was unreal. It put my little Coach card case to shame.

It was maybe $200 or $250. Maybe Louis Vuitton's quality control is what it was or maybe it's less. I don't know.

In any case, I feel strongly that it doesn't matter to me if some people have more money than God, seek status symbols, or want "perfection." I still cannot imagine a single purse being worth $260,000.

When the global (emphasis added) elite become twice as wealthy with their multinational corporations and tax breaks, maybe we'll see
$500,000 "Birkin" bags. And surely we'll see people justifying it, saying it's all relative.

But as to my opinion, it rubs me the wrong way.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
i've seen some really nice birkins, but this one's color is so unattractive, even tho i know that's what makes it so expensive. it reminds me of curdled milk.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Imdanny|1296455035|2837995 said:
I continue not to "get it" as to why a single purse is worth the better part of $300,000. I think that's just stupid if not insidious. That's my opinion anyway.

Hey Danny :wavey:

Think of your gold Cartier ring. You want it because it's perfection, not because it's Cartier. People have told you to get a different gold ring for a fraction of the price. Others may have told you to get the replica. You want the Cartier because it makes your heart sing.

That's what the Birkin does to us. I'd have to save for a life time to be able to buy the crocodile and diamond Birkin, but for a lucky few it hardly makes a dent.

*wanders off to find out how much second hand, slightly used kidneys go for these days*

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
ForteKitty|1296455479|2837996 said:
i've seen some really nice birkins, but this one's color is so unattractive, even tho i know that's what makes it so expensive. it reminds me of curdled milk.

The smaller the croc scales, the rarer the skin, the more expensive the Birkin. Also, the lighter colours are more expensive.

I wouldn't order this particular colour, but just a glimpse of the black one makes me go weak at the knees.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
why would smaller scales be more expensive? thought they're all farm raised nowadays... couldn't they just kill the poor lil guys while they are babies?

unless they want a particular breed that have smaller scales even when they're fully grown, so there wouldn't be any breaks in the purse? If so, i'm surprised they haven't genetically altered the crocs yet?

diva rose

Shiny_Rock

I had a Louis Vuitton checkbook cover many years ago before they increased their production and moved some of it out of France.

The quality of the leather and the stitching was perfect. Absolutely perfect. It was unreal. It put my little Coach card case to shame.

It was maybe $200 or $250. Maybe Louis Vuitton's quality control is what it was or maybe it's less. I don't know.

In any case, I feel strongly that it doesn't matter to me if some people have more money than God, seek status symbols, or want "perfection." I still cannot imagine a single purse being worth $260,000.

When the global (emphasis added) elite become twice as wealthy with their multinational corporations and tax breaks, maybe we'll see
$500,000 "Birkin" bags. And surely we'll see people justifying it, saying it's all relative.

LV is still very strict on control unlike Prada, Gucci and a lot of designers. If there is flaw - LV destroys it at where it is produced.

However the quality of the material in a Birkin is very different to the level of the LV material.
It's like how Coach cannot compare to LV. Same as LV cannot compare to Hermes (makers of Birkin).

The Birkins are individually handmade in France. Each bag is made by one craftsperson throughout the whole process. Most designer bags are all factory made. Due to the craftmanship - every bag is different. They also select materials from France which means each vary in smell and texture. According to the company - their bags are priced according to their craftmanship and scarcity.

Birkins are very expensive - there is no question in that. I also feel the price is pumped up due to the scarcity and for it being exclusive more than the actual item being worth that much. That's with most things in life.
For example, aren't the gems/diamonds also based on scarcity? The more rare the gem, the more value it has compared to the common ones.

purselover

Ideal_Rock

Just curious, what do you think of $260,000 cars is that more/less/equally insane? I'm trying to understand are you against any expensive consumer goods, or just expensive purses?

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I suspect those of us it rubs the wrong way were trained somewhere along the line, that excess is shameful. My diamond purchases are far far less than most on this board, and yet I still feel a bit of....shame, in wanting them, and having more than one of them. (Of course I bargain shop, and tell myself it's still WAAAAY cheaper than kids. ;)) ) Most would say shame is bad, but I think it can be healthy when it keeps a person connected to what really matters. MY response to that desire for "things" is to know I can't have them all (and honestly wouldn't want them if I could), and to say I love jewelry so much that I don't just want to BUY it, I want to MAKE it. And not just so I can have it for myself. It allows me to indulge my passion, and be around what I love, yet contribute and not just consume. And so I'm learning how to make jewelry, because making it is more fun than simply owning it. I honestly think, that if we as a culture, MADE more of the things we wanted, we'd not be willing to pay stupid prices for stuff. You appreciate craftsmanship more and are willing to pay a fair price for it, but you also know that it ain't magic, and can learned. It provides a bit of balance somehow.

And I don't recall who mentioned this, but if someone is paying $260 for a handbag on a 30,000 salary, well, that person either has some seriously mad budgeting skills, or a second income from a spouse, or has completely abdicated on funding their eventual retirement. I've lived off that salary, and I can tell ya, I wasn't buying ANY luxuries back then.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to add, I am a lover of Hermes Kelly bags and am fortunate enough to own some. Two of them date from 1969 and 1971 and they are in perfect condition, you would never ever know that these bags are 40 years old and I have never needed to have them repaired so far. Also Hermes will maintain the bags for you, should you ever need restitching or a new handle etc, Hermes will do this. A well cared for Hermes bag can last a lifetime and are often passed down from Mother to Daughter. Although the initial cost is expensive, over time the cost per wear drops significantly. These bags aren't ' It' bags but designed for the long haul and they never date. Also, I would never ever want to sell my bags but if I did, I would make back the money I spent on them, they can hold their value far better than diamonds.

With the bag in question, although these are terribly expensive from Hermes ( if you can even get a Croc Birkin with diamond hardware in the first place), a healthy premium has probably been added by the reseller.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I find funny how this being a diamond forum, where we droll for millions of dollars rings, and if you look at the dream ring treads are full of 5-6 carats diamonds rings, some people cannot understand about wanting to expend money on an expensive purse.

As much as you don't need a 5 carats diamonds, you don't need a 200,000 usd purse. Both things give you superficial satisfaction. And if I have the money I will own both. :sun: . But, I have to accept I can only afford a 2 carat ring and a Louis Vuitton purse :lol: .

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results