shape
carat
color
clarity

Baby shower for 2nd baby?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I don't see anything wrong with a baby shower per child. I welcome the celebration. In fact, I threw a baby shower for my friend who was on her third child. That being said, dialing down the gifts and maybe providing more practical gifts would be in order (diapers etc). I will say that, I would not throw a baby shower for someone who expected me to do it and it wasn't their first baby. I do think a sprinkle or a lunch sounds like a good compromise in this case.

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
In that case, if it were my friend I''d do a "sip and see" after the baby is born, kind of like Lara suggested. Then, the point of the gathering is to see the new baby rather than just bring gifts, but if someone WANTS to bring a gift, it''s up to them. There''s a really cute one on hostessblog.com right now, too. They''re a little more laid back of a gathering, and as an added bonus, Mommy can have a cocktail, haha!

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
I will not be having a shower for any children due to religious superstition, however no matter how many boys I have they each have a bris 8 days after they are born so I guess that can be viewed like a shower, but I don''t plan to register or anything. My personal belief is that more than 1 is tacky and I know people said well the financial hardships etc., here is where I will be judgemental- if a couple is straining so much financially that they need to depend on gifts- why are they having the additional children? (aside from the oops babies that do happen)

In this particular case I find it really tacky because it is ''expected'' of you- no shower or party for any occassion should ever be expected by someone and the fact that she expressed that to you would piss me off so much that I wouldn''t do it...I am a bad person.

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 5:40:03 AM
Author: sba771
In this particular case I find it really tacky because it is ''expected'' of you- no shower or party for any occassion should ever be expected by someone and the fact that she expressed that to you would piss me off so much that I wouldn''t do it...I am a bad person.

sba, youre not a bad person at all for that! i''d be miffed, too!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 4:09:34 PM
Author: doodle
Date: 3/31/2009 5:40:03 AM
Author: sba771

sba, youre not a bad person at all for that! i''d be miffed, too!

Ditto.

We''re also Jewish, so we won''t be having showers, either. But girls have baby namings, and boys have brit milot, so we can celebrate then!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I HATE baby showers. I went kicking and screaming for my first (my friend just did a luncheon in her home, ala Miranda from Sex and the City. Fried Chicken, PB&J sandwiches, along with some "cute" food, plus none of those crazy baby games, so it was perfect if I had to have one). A gal in her group had THREE baby showers, and they were full on ones. Her kids are about 3 years apart.

Sorry, but I am not into second baby showers. You''re having a second baby, how wonderful for you. Why everyone has to throw money your way because you want to keep procreating is beyond me.

Did I say already I HATE baby showers?
14.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 4:23:29 PM
Author: TravelingGal
I HATE baby showers. I went kicking and screaming for my first (my friend just did a luncheon in her home, ala Miranda from Sex and the City. Fried Chicken, PB&J sandwiches, along with some ''cute'' food, plus none of those crazy baby games, so it was perfect if I had to have one). A gal in her group had THREE baby showers, and they were full on ones. Her kids are about 3 years apart.

Sorry, but I am not into second baby showers. You''re having a second baby, how wonderful for you. Why everyone has to throw money your way because you want to keep procreating is beyond me.

Did I say already I HATE baby showers?
14.gif

LOL Tgal. I was just watching that episode in the wee hours of the morning while BFing and thinking to myself that Miranda had the perfect shower! My shower was like that too. I hate em generally as well.

And SBA-you are NOT a bad person! I agree.

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
I am not a fan of the second or more baby shower. Don''t get me wrong, I consider myself very generous and love gifting my friends, I just hate feeling like I am constantly being asked to give a gift. For instance, even if a friend or family member did not have a second or third baby shower, I would absolutely bring a gift the first time I met the baby. I have even done this for casual friends where I was not invited to the shower - I just did it because I wanted to. I love babies and all things baby, so shopping for them is fun for me. It''s considerably less fun to be handed someone''s third baby registry and feel like I am being asked to financially support their child by buying everything they need. I think the idea of a sip and see for a 2nd or third child is lovely. I would still bring a gift, but because I wanted to, not because I felt obligated. I just attended the thrid baby shower in 4 years for one friend. I also attended and gave gifts for each of those kids baptisms. IMHO, it becomes a little much.

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
I think that the choice (as all are) is a personal one, but I have no problem with friends having second showers. I''m delighted about the birth of a child no matter what the birth order, and view the shower as a time to celebrate and get the mom ready. I''ve never felt as though someone was trying to "exploit" me monetarily by inviting me to a shower, although if I did I would certainly politely decline.

vespergirl, I certainly don''t think that you''re "supposed" to throw your friend a shower, one never has to throw a shower! If you''d like to host a shower for her you can, and if not, you are definitely not obligated to throw a party for her.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 7:33:38 PM
Author: *Lindsey*
I think that the choice (as all are) is a personal one, but I have no problem with friends having second showers. I''m delighted about the birth of a child no matter what the birth order, and view the shower as a time to celebrate and get the mom ready. I''ve never felt as though someone was trying to ''exploit'' me monetarily by inviting me to a shower, although if I did I would certainly politely decline.

vespergirl, I certainly don''t think that you''re ''supposed'' to throw your friend a shower, one never has to throw a shower! If you''d like to host a shower for her you can, and if not, you are definitely not obligated to throw a party for her.
Ditto.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think formal second "showers" are appropriate, especially if there is only 2 years between children. Once you get to 5 or 6 years, that's a different story and the parents would probably need new stuff.

However, if a small group of friends want to get together and give gifts, I see no problem with that, like over dinner or something. I just have a problem with the formal shower thing, inviting people whom you don't see very often, distant relatives, aunts, cousins, etc...I think one big shower is enough for any mom and would be not too happy if I was invited to second shower for a cousin, etc. who just had a baby two years ago. I'd feel like I had to give a gift when I wouldn't have otherwise and would kind of see it as a way to get more gifts. If a close friend was having a second baby, I would give a gift to her anyways and wouldn't need a shower to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results