shape
carat
color
clarity

Awesome FCD experience

justginger

Ideal_Rock
My lovely new husband and I are on the first part of our honeymoon - New Orleans. Wandering down Royal Street yesterday, we found ourselves looking in the window of a very elegant antique store. I thought I'd wander in to see what shiny objects may have been contained in their display cases.

Holy moly, I knew I had hit the motherload when the first piece of jewelry I spotted was a 40 carat diamond necklace, with a cross pendant containing another 10-odd carats. Amazing. Flitting down the counter, I passed one-of-a-kind pieces the whole way. Burmese rubies, a Tiffany star ruby in platinum, a 20 carat Alexandrite pendant, South Sea pearls the side of Globe grapes! A 12 carat antique cushion cut (mine looked like it's miniscule sister!), a D/IF/2a asscher, sitting around 10 carats, a black opal the size of a ping pong ball.

But...the biggest prizes were at the end of the case. The dealer behind the counter had a bit of a smirk when I nearly hit the ground. There was the most beautiful 7 carat Argyle FIPP pear set in melee as delicate as I have ever seen. The color... :lickout: He pulled it straight out of the case and put it on my hand as if wearing an $800,000 ring would be a daily occurence for me! As beautiful as it was, my eyes locked on another ring in the case and I was mesmerized. It was the largest fancy diamond I've ever seen in person - and probably the largest I'll ever see. A TWENTY NINE carat Fancy Yellow radiant, flanked by a couple of colorless diamonds. It was so incredibly large, the cut was hypnotizing. I could have stared into those lucious depths for hours. I was honestly surprised that it wasn't graded intense - possibly with a bit of cutting magic it could gain a color grade? Regardless, I shoved that puppy on my hand and grinned like a maniac. On a size 3 finger, it looked comical - but delightfully so! :naughty:

I will be forever grateful to that gracious antiques dealer who was willing to indulge in my happiness for a few minutes. I can't imagine I'll ever have a million and a half dollars on my finger again! I only wish I could have taken some photos of those incredible gems to share with everyone. :bigsmile:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You got to wear a 7-ct Argyle FIPP on your finger!?!
Faint!

Lucky you.
I'm green with envy.

What's it like to have FCDs that don't need fancy macro lenses? :confused:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Were you allow to take photos? :Up_to_something:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
and then you woke up.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where are the pictures!!! I'm dying here!

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Was this M.S, Rau?

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I was so blown away by the man's generosity that I didn't even broach the subject of taking pictures. They had an armed guard at the door and I was afraid of making them think that I was casing the joint! :errrr:

Herekittykitty, we visited SO many antique/jewelry stores that day that I couldn't recall the name on my own - but now that you have suggested it, yes, I am certain that was the place. I'm not sure I can resist another visit, though I feel like a bit of a waste of space in there. ;(

justginger

Ideal_Rock
If we stop by again, I will ask to take photos, solely for journalism's sake - the world must see such beautiful gems! I'm honestly not sure that will fly, but it's worth a shot -- to prevent being virtually tarred and feathered. :saint:

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It was good that the guy in the shop was so nice to you, maybe he thought you looked rich or something!! :naughty:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I must have been faint with the beauty in front of me because I was WAYYYY off on that FIPP, Kenny. It's on the website that Herekittykitty linked above, the "Cassel Pink," and it's four point seven, not seven point four, like I had thought. It was ginormous, anyway. And I got to wear a diamond that has actually been named. :tongue: I missed the price on that one, DH suggested it was around $800k - more like $1.4 million. Amazing. Right beside it in the "colored diamonds" catalogue is the 29 carat yellow. It's impressively large on the screen, but a boulder IRL.

Thanks, Herekittykitty - now I don't feel like such a failure for coming back photo-less. ;))

PS - On vacation, with my staple flipflops, tanktop, and mussy bun, I reassure you that there is no way he would have mistaken me for having loads to spend...I think he was just a kindhearted person, willing to share the goods. :appl:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool website.
I love to look at those things.
Did you get to see those bracelets with a zillion FCDs?
I can only imagine what that looks like in the sun.

Since they are all prong-set I'd worry about loose prongs all the time.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1308417181|2949017 said:
Cool website.
I love to look at those things.
Did you get to see those bracelets with a zillion FCDs?
I can only imagine what that looks like in the sun.

Since they are all prong-set I'd worry about loose prongs all the time.

That's why I did bezels on my multi-FCD ring. Prongs also get stuck on clothes and other material.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
herekittykitty|1308412867|2948988 said:
This is their website if you want to relive the magic: http://www.rauantiques.com/

Ha!! I had a feeling it was Rau Antiques. They have some amazing stuff. I love their website. :love:

Justginger,
Thanks for sharing your experience, but I'm jealous you got to go there in person!! :twisted:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
wow you got to try THAT ring on?!?!?! Lucky duck!

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely to hear you had such a nice time with them. I had a similar experience at Lang Antiques in San Francisco. What is protocol on taking pictures? I would feel a little uncomfortable asking about that personally.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow is all I can say. :-o

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results