Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Awesome FCD experience

justginger

Ideal_Rock
My lovely new husband and I are on the first part of our honeymoon - New Orleans. Wandering down Royal Street yesterday, we found ourselves looking in the window of a very elegant antique store. I thought I'd wander in to see what shiny objects may have been contained in their display cases.

Holy moly, I knew I had hit the motherload when the first piece of jewelry I spotted was a 40 carat diamond necklace, with a cross pendant containing another 10-odd carats. Amazing. Flitting down the counter, I passed one-of-a-kind pieces the whole way. Burmese rubies, a Tiffany star ruby in platinum, a 20 carat Alexandrite pendant, South Sea pearls the side of Globe grapes! A 12 carat antique cushion cut (mine looked like it's miniscule sister!), a D/IF/2a asscher, sitting around 10 carats, a black opal the size of a ping pong ball.

But...the biggest prizes were at the end of the case. The dealer behind the counter had a bit of a smirk when I nearly hit the ground. There was the most beautiful 7 carat Argyle FIPP pear set in melee as delicate as I have ever seen. The color... :lickout: He pulled it straight out of the case and put it on my hand as if wearing an $800,000 ring would be a daily occurence for me! As beautiful as it was, my eyes locked on another ring in the case and I was mesmerized. It was the largest fancy diamond I've ever seen in person - and probably the largest I'll ever see. A TWENTY NINE carat Fancy Yellow radiant, flanked by a couple of colorless diamonds. It was so incredibly large, the cut was hypnotizing. I could have stared into those lucious depths for hours. I was honestly surprised that it wasn't graded intense - possibly with a bit of cutting magic it could gain a color grade? Regardless, I shoved that puppy on my hand and grinned like a maniac. On a size 3 finger, it looked comical - but delightfully so! :naughty:

I will be forever grateful to that gracious antiques dealer who was willing to indulge in my happiness for a few minutes. I can't imagine I'll ever have a million and a half dollars on my finger again! I only wish I could have taken some photos of those incredible gems to share with everyone. :bigsmile:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You got to wear a 7-ct Argyle FIPP on your finger!?!
Faint!

Lucky you.
I'm green with envy.

What's it like to have FCDs that don't need fancy macro lenses? :confused:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
and then you woke up.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where are the pictures!!! I'm dying here!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I was so blown away by the man's generosity that I didn't even broach the subject of taking pictures. They had an armed guard at the door and I was afraid of making them think that I was casing the joint! :errrr:

Herekittykitty, we visited SO many antique/jewelry stores that day that I couldn't recall the name on my own - but now that you have suggested it, yes, I am certain that was the place. I'm not sure I can resist another visit, though I feel like a bit of a waste of space in there. ;(

justginger

Ideal_Rock
If we stop by again, I will ask to take photos, solely for journalism's sake - the world must see such beautiful gems! I'm honestly not sure that will fly, but it's worth a shot -- to prevent being virtually tarred and feathered. :saint:

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It was good that the guy in the shop was so nice to you, maybe he thought you looked rich or something!! :naughty:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I must have been faint with the beauty in front of me because I was WAYYYY off on that FIPP, Kenny. It's on the website that Herekittykitty linked above, the "Cassel Pink," and it's four point seven, not seven point four, like I had thought. It was ginormous, anyway. And I got to wear a diamond that has actually been named. :tongue: I missed the price on that one, DH suggested it was around $800k - more like $1.4 million. Amazing. Right beside it in the "colored diamonds" catalogue is the 29 carat yellow. It's impressively large on the screen, but a boulder IRL.

Thanks, Herekittykitty - now I don't feel like such a failure for coming back photo-less. ;))

PS - On vacation, with my staple flipflops, tanktop, and mussy bun, I reassure you that there is no way he would have mistaken me for having loads to spend...I think he was just a kindhearted person, willing to share the goods. :appl:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool website.
I love to look at those things.
Did you get to see those bracelets with a zillion FCDs?
I can only imagine what that looks like in the sun.

Since they are all prong-set I'd worry about loose prongs all the time.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1308417181|2949017 said:
Cool website.
I love to look at those things.
Did you get to see those bracelets with a zillion FCDs?
I can only imagine what that looks like in the sun.

Since they are all prong-set I'd worry about loose prongs all the time.
That's why I did bezels on my multi-FCD ring. Prongs also get stuck on clothes and other material.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
herekittykitty|1308412867|2948988 said:
This is their website if you want to relive the magic: http://www.rauantiques.com/
Ha!! I had a feeling it was Rau Antiques. They have some amazing stuff. I love their website. :love:

Justginger,
Thanks for sharing your experience, but I'm jealous you got to go there in person!! :twisted:

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely to hear you had such a nice time with them. I had a similar experience at Lang Antiques in San Francisco. What is protocol on taking pictures? I would feel a little uncomfortable asking about that personally.

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Celebratory Engagement Ring Upgrade And Bracelet
    Celebratory Engagement Ring Upgrade And Bracelet
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring
    Archduchess Eleonore von Habsburg and Jérôme d’Ambrosio Royal Wedding
    Archduchess Eleonore von Habsburg and Jérôme d’Ambrosio Royal Wedding

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.