shape
carat
color
clarity

AVR's or H&A's for my first pair of diamond earrings???

e-ring127

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone...Ive been a LONGGGG time lurker but this will be my first post. Ive been plotting and planning for an upcoming diamond earring purchase to pass along to my husband as a push present. I am completely smitten by all of the antique cuts and have been itching to get my hands on an antique diamond of my very own : ) For those of you that have had the opportunity to compare, which cut works better as earrings? As much as I LOVE OEC's and the infamous AVR's...something tells me I'd prefer some H&A's for earrings specifically. Im set on a miligrain bezel setting from BGD but torn between which cut I would prefer in my ears...any advise or recommendations are welcome...thanks in advance!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had both and feel that the H&A stones are best for earrings. You can't really see the difference in the cutting in small stones unless your eye is right at them, and the smaller tables just make them appear less bright on the ears to me. I adore AVR's and AVC's and would love to have either over a carat for a ring. But I think regular ideal cut stones are going to be brighter and show up better on the ears unless you go with really large AVR's.

e-ring127

Rough_Rock
Thanks for replying diamondseeker, I remember seeing your 1.5tcw beauties and thinking WOW!! After reading this I think I'm gonna stick to the H&A's....but probably can only afford around .80 to 1.0tcw with all of the crazy price hikes : ( Are your current studs your first pair or did you start off wearing something else?? I've never owned any pair of diamond earrings and I'm hoping around .40 in each ear will be substantial enough yet good for everyday wear. As far as the vintage cuts go, I guess I'll have to continue to live vicariously through PS!! These diamond prices make me afraid I'll never get my hands on one and much more afraid to ever upgrade my current diamond.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I have studs that are 0.40 each and I think it is a great size for everyday! you can also get non-H&A but still ideal/excellent cut to save some money.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had some very tiny diamond studs and also wore cz's before getting my diamond earrings from WF. My current pair are .65 each and are WF ACA's. I agree that it is fine to buy from Expert Selection level stones for earrings. The key is to find the best match. I think the .40 range is totally fine for everyday. I think about getting some .40's and put them in milgrain bezels for myself. I am just more comfortable with smaller stones in general because of my lifestyle.

e-ring127

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys...you helped me make up my mind and I offically put the ball is motion....I'll have to post pictures once I have them! Diamondseeker, I didnt realize u didnt keep the .75's....my personal sweet spot is .60's but will probably go wtih .40's...thanks so much for your help : )

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck and let us know if we can help you find a pair! Regardless, be sure to come back and post some pictures for us!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results