shape
carat
color
clarity

AVR in DK Tapered Baguette Setting…and some rambling

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
(I got a little wordy, and a little personal in this, so if that is not your bag please feel free to skip down to the “just the ring” part. :)) )

Over the past months of PS lurking I have learned so much, and I have surprised myself with my changing attitudes. I was firmly in the camp of “meh, what’s the point?” when it came to gems and jewellery; very pretty, too expensive, not my thing. I had a 1/3 carat engagement ring, bought when we were young and poor, which I wore every day and never thought twice about. It was a symbol of a very happy marriage, and I had a vague sentimental attachment to it as such, but that was about it.

Fast forward 17 yrs, and the very happy marriage sailed into deep and troubled waters. My H experienced neurological issues that changed the nature of who he is/was. Over the past couple of years I have been slowly and heartrendingly coming to terms with the fact that the man I loved intensely, and the marriage I was so proud of and secure in, are forever changed. There was a lot of confusion and hurt as our lives as we knew them fell apart, and during the turmoil I took off my rings. They had become a painful reminder of loss.

My H is working hard on wellness, and we have both worked hard on repairing our marriage. We are getting to know each other all over again. It is difficult and scary, but we both feel that the great love that we had between us is worth fighting for. About 6 months ago my ring finger started feeling bare again, but I could not bring myself to wear the old rings. I am still mourning that man and that marriage. Those rings do not feel right anymore. My H carries them with him.

Many months of research and daily PS haunting later, and I finally have my “re-engagement ring”.

And my attitude about jewellery has changed completely. Sure it can be frivolous and in the grand scheme of a world full of poverty and want, I may always feel a certain uneasiness about luxury for the few…but these precious adornments that we wear on our body can be powerfully symbolic. They are very intimate, very personal, and what we choose and why says so much about who we are as individuals. I see on these boards engagement rings, wedding bands, birthday gits, anniversary gifts, “just because I want it!” splurges, and they are each so special- celebrations of love, celebrations of self, talismans of hope, and pledges of trust. In many I see statements of empowerment as in “I feel valuable enough to wear this”, and in most I see an intense enthusiasm for the artistry and skill that goes into making these beautiful pieces, which is so very cool.

My H and I often talk about the concept of “repairing with gold” based on the Japanese art of repairing broken pottery with gold, kintsugi. The wabi-sabi philosophy of accepting and appreciating the broken or imperfect has, for obvious reasons, become an important one for us. We love how this is illustrated by these broken pottery pieces where the gold used for repair actually makes the piece more strong and beautiful, and embraces rather than hides the cracks. So my re-engagement ring has become highly symbolic of “repairing with gold” (and obviously some diamonds!), it celebrates a new beginning for us, and something very beautiful coming from suffering. It really is a talisman of hope for me- that he can be ok, that we can be ok, and that with all the changes and challenges there is still meaning in the vows we took to each other so many years ago.

Thanks for reading for those of you who made it through the long moderately off topic wall of text. I guess I really needed to say how important this ring is to me.

***********Just the Ring**********

My H chose for me an August Vintage Round (H VS2 0.99c), because he wanted something unique, yet perfectly cut, and it is an astoundingly beautiful diamond. I’ve never seen anything like it. And seeing it blew all my ideas of the ring I thought I wanted totally out of the water! The setting had to be all about showcasing that AVR and letting it sing!

So with PS help, and OBSESSIVE PS lurking and general researching, I ended up going with a custom design from David Klass inspired by this Kwiat ring. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/custom-tapered-baguette-setting-help.201629/
Being a total newb the custom process was fairly nerve-wracking, but David was patient with all my questions and concerns and in the end I received a ring that exceeds my expectations.

We went back and forth about the height a bit, and I still do have some reservations, but I knew I didn’t want it low set- I wanted the AVR to POP! And it does!

I am over the moon about the delicacy of the proportions. David really nailed exactly what I wanted. After spending months staring at the multi-carat beauties on here, I was concerned that at just under 1c my stone would look off with anything but the daintiest of settings. The baguettes David chose are slender, long and elegant looking, and make the centre stone look fantastic. So happy!
I also can’t get over the engraving work. It is gorgeous!

Setting: unplated 14k white gold (palladium alloy)2.5 grams, set with .42cts tapered baguettes G VS2, size 5.5
Centre stone: 0.995c H VS2 AVR

p1060286.jpg
p1060287.jpg
p1060283.jpg
p1060289.jpg

Puppy4248

Shiny_Rock
Evangeline, I am so glad that you and yours have continued to work at your relationship through thick and thin. Thank you for sharing your story with us, and I am so happy that things are looking up and your are able to have this BEAUTIFUL ring!! While all jewels should be coveted, I think it's the ones with significant meaning behind them, like yours, that make them truly special and I am very happy that you are re-engaged... and with such a gorgeous, dainty ring! :) Wishing you and yours all the best!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for sharing your special story. Your ring has thus become a symbol of love and hope which makes the ring not only very beautiful but also very special.

I cannot believe how beautiful the ring has become. The baguettes are so long and slender. And the engraving is out of this world.
Enjoy your new ring and all the best for you and your husband.

Happy re-engagement!!!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Absolutely lovely ring, and a beautiful story to go with it! Thank you for sharing this with us. How about some hand shots?
<3 <3 <3

Snuffles_Rose

Rough_Rock
BEAUTIFUL RING. :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

beautiful story. so inspirational -- best of luck to you both, and don't forget to post hand shots! your ring is perfect!

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
To Puppy, Acinom, Tourmaline and Snufflesrose- thank you so much! It is always a little nerve wracking when you put something personal out there on the interwebs *gulp*, I really, really appreciate your kind words! Hand shots on their way!

First another of that engraving work... :love:
p1060189.jpg

And this one gave a nice sense of the proportions I thought. My thumbs aren't absolutely huge, the ring is that delicate. lol
p1060190.jpg

p1060198.jpg

p1060206.jpg

Please pardon the lack of manicure...

p1060212.jpg

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
And with the rose gold band that DK also made for me:

p1060271.jpg

p1060273.jpg

I am thinking a thin straight band with the same engraving as the ring may be just the thing for the bottom of the stack? I thought I wanted a baguette band, but am now thinking that may be a little too much for that finger.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is STUNNING! Absolutely gorgeous. Wow. And your story is so beautiful and inspirational. I hope this reengagement does indeed mend with gold.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful story, and thank you so much for sharing such personal experiences. I used to think like you about jewels but now have so much appreciation as to the artistry, love and symbolism of each of the pieces that are created for me. David does wonderful work so glad you had a chance to work with him.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice -- great proportions!! Congratulations! :appl: :wavey:

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock
This is exquisite and I love that band! (I may need to get a YG one.)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks so beautiful on your hand. Simply stunning!!
DK just nailed it with all the beautiful details. The stack with RG is really pretty. A great match while not being too matchy matchy. Lovely :love:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Such a beautiful ring and beautiful sentiment behind it. Congrats on your re-engagement!

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for sharing your story. The ring is beautiful and looks the perfect size for your slender finger. At first glance, it is a classic setting but has a beautiful old world flair with the perfect engraving. Good luck and show that beauty off!
im%20in%20luuuurve.gif

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your story is very touching and thank you for sharing. The ring is just gorgeous, I absolutely love the engraving!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the beautiful story as well as the photos of your gorgeous ring. I'm so impressed by the delicate details and gracefulness of the setting. Your center stone is beautiful. Thanks for sharing your beautiful results and enjoy your re-engagement ring in health and happiness!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a sweet, sweet story. I admire you both for dealing with the "for worse" part of marriage without giving up. Your mutual commitment to each other and to your marriage is an inspiration. That does make this ring all the more special, and it is absolutely gorgeous in every way! :love: I remember the diamond well, because I thought it was such a fabulous stone at just a hair under 1 ct! The setting is really perfect for it, too! I hope you will enjoy it for the rest of your days and that your marriage will be blessed!

4_cs

Shiny_Rock
Your ring is beautiful. Your story and sentiment behind the ring is even more beautiful. Wishing you nothing but the best.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This looks like a great start to a beautiful new chapter! Thank you for sharing your story and your beautiful ring! :love:

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
I loved every part of your story and the beautiful ring...I am very happy for you and yours. The ring came out beautiful! I believe I was on your original thread with the kwiat ring we were discussing, right? I have to look. anyway, thank you for sharing (and I can relate on several levels).

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Every so often comes a story here that just leaves you in awe. This is one of them. I applaud your love, your efforts, and your commitment in the face of a very difficult situation. I hope the blessings match the strife that brought you to this point.

Your ring is just beautiful - the stone, the setting, and the band. As a symbol of your reaffirmed marriage, it's just perfect!

Please share more pictures with us - simply stunning!!

Daisyoz

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for sharing your story. I too always think the ring is special because of the relationship it represents. And your ring is stunning! AVR and DK makes great combination! Wear it in wealth and happiness!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring. I am loving his engraving work! The RG band goes well and mirrors the round center but doesn't has the elongated sections like the baguettes. Good proportions overall!

I also applaud you for working through the "or worse" rather than giving up. Thank you for sharing your story. And happy reengagement!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an amazing story. You moved me to tears reading about the unfortunate changes in your marriage. I am so sorry things are so different for you both.

I have admired that Kwiat setting myself, so I am thrilled to see it recreated. It is lovely! :appl:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Absolutely lovely in every way. <3

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really special ring'

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring! I love your diamond, it's perfect, and the proportions of the baguettes are just right :appl: The engraving is gorgeous! And your band is so pretty!

Marriage can be hard, your story is an inspiration, I wish both of you much happiness in this next chapter of your commitment to each other :))

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What a touching story and a testament of "for better or worse, through sickness and health". The ring is gorgeous and I hope it brings you joy and happy memories for years to come!

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your ring is gorgeous! Wishing you many, happy new memories.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results