shape
carat
color
clarity

Average Engagement Ring Size Article (2008)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks interesting article.

I wonder what quality those La Jolla diamonds are?

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2008 12:16:51 AM
Author: lisa1.01fvs1
Thanks interesting article.

I wonder what quality those La Jolla diamonds are?
Lisa ... I was thinking the same thing! GMTA?
2.gif

cssuja

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/14/2008 1:46:48 AM
Author: moderatelypoorstudent
What does GMTA stand for?

Sorry -- newb.
I think it means ''Great Minds Think Alike''
1.gif

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
woohoo! Finally it pays off to live in the bible belt
9.gif
Thanks for the link.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting... I would be curious about Florida, espicially where I live in Palm Beach... HMMM...

But I loved his last statement...
The fact of the matter is that a diamond engagement ring should suit the individual it is being given to and should be affordable to the person buying it. The true purpose surrounding it is the thought and love with which it is given.

wen104

Shiny_Rock
I used to live by La Jolla, lots of money there so I am sure they are quality pieces! I really thought the average was more like .50 or .75. And I thought I had a baby diamond (well by Pricescopes average
emotion-15.gif
). My .71 looks great compared to the US average!
emsmilep.gif

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Cool article.

Can''t comment on the rest of the country but I''m not
surprised by the average in NYC as it takes all 5 boroughs into consideration.

I''ve read here before that some from Manhattan think huge rocks are the average. I myself have never seen many that look above 2 carats so the article makes sense to me.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Wow....no wonder I have DSS...the average diamond size in Boston is 1.6 carats?! Holy crap! My little ~1ct. is getting a complex about her size. Yeesh!

Kyle921

Rough_Rock
Might be a silly question. Are they talking about center stone or are they talking about total carat size/weight of engagement rings? Might make a little difference :)

wen104

Shiny_Rock
I think they are talking about the size of the main stone in the piece. Alot of people still wear solitares at least where I live anyways. I took it as that but wow some places are way up there!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2008 9:53:14 AM
Author: tberube
Wow....no wonder I have DSS...the average diamond size in Boston is 1.6 carats?! Holy crap! My little ~1ct. is getting a complex about her size. Yeesh!
I thought the same thing! My center stone is .92 and with the sidestones (.20 each), the tcw is 1.32. That still doesn''t even reach 1.6. Ah well...I''ll live with what I have, if I must.
2.gif

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Just thinking it would be cool for someone to do a poll here so we could figure out our average...

Nicki

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/14/2008 10:39:00 AM
Author: ZoeBartlett

I thought the same thing! My center stone is .92 and with the sidestones (.20 each), the tcw is 1.32. That still doesn''t even reach 1.6. Ah well...I''ll live with what I have, if I must.
2.gif
If I live in central Massachusetts, I''m not compared to the Boston folks, right???....right???
39.gif
2.gif

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
A brief search showed that home prices in La Jolla (houses) range from 1.2 Million to 22.5 millions. So the 2.5 ct average size e-ring it totally believable.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock

Rube, mine is .6, together we hit the average!

So are we talking only solitaires, or tcw? If it's TCW I hit .9!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Most of the people I know (in the UK) have gemstone rings and hardly anyone has a diamond. Of the diamonds I have seen, I would say they were no more than .25ct.

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/14/2008 10:59:10 AM
Author: CrookedRock
Just thinking it would be cool for someone to do a poll here so we could figure out our average...

Crooked great idea!

How do we start one?

KatSullivan

Rough_Rock
I lived in La Jolla for 4 years during college and believe me those rocks are HUGE! AS to the quality tho, there was a lot of variation. I some saw absolutely beautiful pieces that should have been in a bank vault AND some real dogs. But, I guess you get that kind of range no matter where you live...

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I live in San Francisco and I''m not sure what the average is here in the city but I don''t think it''s over a carat. I''m a stay at home mother with a two year old, and spend a lot of time around other moms ( at the playground, swim classes etc.) and while I do see some very nice rings I don''t notice anything very large. Maybe it''s the neighborhood. I live in the Castro. It''s pretty darn expensive to live here too.

ShannonM

Rough_Rock
Interesting article. I''d be curious about my city (Tampa) as a whole. I''m a tax accountant so I work around a lot of professional women and the norm has been a carat or so although we get some much bigger. I think perception of averages probably depends a lot on what kind of atmosphere you spend most of your time in.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Take a look at the rest of the articles there by the same author. The information seemed much less accurate and complete than what folks here normally see, to the point that I wonder how accurate are the statistics on size. Two thumbs down.

Ms.Lola

Rough_Rock
I live in NYC and I don''t think the 1.6 average is counting the other four boroughs besides Manhattan (which is obviously the wealthiest borough). I live in Brooklyn (a nice part of it) and the diamonds I see on women''s fingers on my commute in and out of BK (yes, I do the sneaky subway stare...what else is there to do on the train?!) rarely look in the 1.5 range...usually smaller than 1 carat, sometimes significantly so. That said, on the Upper West and Upper East side there are some big ones...but still, I think the sizes of rings in the other four boroughs still wouldn''t be large enough to balance it out to a carat weight as high as 1.6.

In short, the majority of women in New York who wear diamond rings are not in the 1.6 range.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results