shape
carat
color
clarity

Authenticity of My 10K Solid Gold Chain?

Runningfast123

Rough_Rock
Hi guys, I recently just bought a gold curb chain from Michael Hill that was asserted to me as a solid gold chain, rather than a hollow one. I purchased it for $1,800 (negotiated down from $2,000). I came into the store with intentions of just coming out with a solid gold curb chain. The lady was very helpful and helped me pick one out for a reasonable price and she insisted it was solid. I didn't want hollow at all because those are not only less durable, they are cheaper and I don't want to be screwed for the price I paid for it, if it turns out to be hollow.

I know Michael Hill sold it to me as a Solid Gold Curb Chain, but is there any way to prove it? I went on their website and noticed that some of their products specifically state HOLLOW or SOLID, but my product that I bought doesn't have either of those labels. It just says 60cm Curb Chain in 10K Gold. I kind of wish it said solid if it really is solid, not just leave me with a simple trust from one of their employees.

Another thing that put me off was that before I bought this chain, I went to other stores to compare, and this one guy at Ben Moss told me that nobody sells SOLID gold CURB chains anymore because the trend now is hollow for much cheaper. And the hollow curb chains he showed me were around the same price range as solid curb chains from Michael Hill (which makes this whole situation more questionable). He was also really pushy on me so I felt uncomfortable and went to Michael hill, which they apparently prove the guy at Ben Moss to be wrong.

As for my chain, it also doesn't say how much it weighs, and I know some people say you can tell the structure by its weight, but I have nothing to compare it to. I just weighed it on my cheap cooking scale that's not even digital and it seems to be about 19-20 grams total. Is that heavy enough to safely assume it's a solid gold chain?

Please help guys, I spent a lot of money and I seriously don't want this to be hollow because I'd rather spend $200 on the exact same looking chain I bought if it's going to be hollow.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A pawn shop could probably tell you if you don’t want to pay for an appraiser.

Runningfast123

Rough_Rock
A pawn shop could probably tell you if you don’t want to pay for an appraiser.

Is there really no other way to tell? Like how much is a 10K solid gold curb chain supposed to weigh if given specific dimensions? I used a ruler on the links, and they're pretty much 5mm, and the entire chain is 60cm long. Along with its weight of 20 grams, is that sufficient info to tell you that the links are solid?

Txborn79

Shiny_Rock
Is there really no other way to tell? Like how much is a 10K solid gold curb chain supposed to weigh if given specific dimensions? I used a ruler on the links, and they're pretty much 5mm, and the entire chain is 60cm long. Along with its weight of 20 grams, is that sufficient info to tell you that the links are solid?

This one is wider but should be the same length and says it weighs 21 grams

klrrrr

Shiny_Rock
Can you post pictures? There's a chance that it's semi-hollow. A lot of jewellers are going that route these days. I chatted with a few when I was ISO a trombone link chain and was assured that it wouldn't impact durability. I'm with you and just LOVE the weight of solid.

Depending on width my guess is that there's no chance it's solid @ 60cm, unless it's really thin, or the links are really spread out. Curb chains are ultra heavy.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi guys, I recently just bought a gold curb chain from Michael Hill that was asserted to me as a solid gold chain, rather than a hollow one. I purchased it for $1,800 (negotiated down from $2,000). I came into the store with intentions of just coming out with a solid gold curb chain. The lady was very helpful and helped me pick one out for a reasonable price and she insisted it was solid. I didn't want hollow at all because those are not only less durable, they are cheaper and I don't want to be screwed for the price I paid for it, if it turns out to be hollow.

I know Michael Hill sold it to me as a Solid Gold Curb Chain, but is there any way to prove it? I went on their website and noticed that some of their products specifically state HOLLOW or SOLID, but my product that I bought doesn't have either of those labels. It just says 60cm Curb Chain in 10K Gold. I kind of wish it said solid if it really is solid, not just leave me with a simple trust from one of their employees.

Another thing that put me off was that before I bought this chain, I went to other stores to compare, and this one guy at Ben Moss told me that nobody sells SOLID gold CURB chains anymore because the trend now is hollow for much cheaper. And the hollow curb chains he showed me were around the same price range as solid curb chains from Michael Hill (which makes this whole situation more questionable). He was also really pushy on me so I felt uncomfortable and went to Michael hill, which they apparently prove the guy at Ben Moss to be wrong.

As for my chain, it also doesn't say how much it weighs, and I know some people say you can tell the structure by its weight, but I have nothing to compare it to. I just weighed it on my cheap cooking scale that's not even digital and it seems to be about 19-20 grams total. Is that heavy enough to safely assume it's a solid gold chain?

Please help guys, I spent a lot of money and I seriously don't want this to be hollow because I'd rather spend $200 on the exact same looking chain I bought if it's going to be hollow.

What country are you in?
Did your purchase come with a certificate for insurance purposes that describes the chain
I have no reason to doubt them

I have purchased from Micheal Hill more than i like to admit
We have very strict consumer laws in NZ where Micheal Hill was founded
they get pounced on pretty quick here if they step out of line (don't buy extended warranties)

Many years ago i had non jewlery related bussiness with Micheal Hill and found him pleasent and curtiose to deal with

they might be a mall jewler who sell diamonds and gemstones with huge margins but im pretty sure they don't lie about what a product is

They do have a 30 day right of return here

Runningfast123

Rough_Rock
Another one that states it’s solid at 7mm and weighs 1.12 Grams per inch

Yeah the first one didn't say whether it was solid or hollow, but your second chain at 1.12 grams per inch makes it about 26 grams for a 24" chain with 7mm links, and that's considerably larger than my links. So that seems to add up and perhaps my chain is solid.

Runningfast123

Rough_Rock
Can you post pictures? There's a chance that it's semi-hollow. A lot of jewellers are going that route these days. I chatted with a few when I was ISO a trombone link chain and was assured that it wouldn't impact durability. I'm with you and just LOVE the weight of solid.

Depending on width my guess is that there's no chance it's solid @ 60cm, unless it's really thin, or the links are really spread out. Curb chains are ultra heavy.

Here are the pics. I would be mortified if it's "semi" hollow because that's still an outright scam. I asked for solid and she told me it's solid. But from what you say that there's basically no chance, then I must return it immediately and go to a more trusted jeweller.

It feels like it has a little weight to it when crumpled into my hand, but I seriously hope it's fully solid. I tried to put the chain near some other things to give it a proper scale comparison. Hopefully these pictures give it some justice.

Btw the chain definitely looks smaller in real life than in the pictures. Maybe I can find another object to compare it to.

Gold 1.jpg Gold 2.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are the pics. I would be mortified if it's "semi" hollow because that's still an outright scam. I asked for solid and she told me it's solid. But from what you say that there's basically no chance, then I must return it immediately and go to a more trusted jeweller.

It feels like it has a little weight to it when crumpled into my hand, but I seriously hope it's fully solid. I tried to put the chain near some other things to give it a proper scale comparison. Hopefully these pictures give it some justice.

Btw the chain definitely looks smaller in real life than in the pictures. Maybe I can find another object to compare it to.

Gold 1.jpg Gold 2.jpg

Why don't you ring another branch and ask ?
i don't think they scam

Runningfast123

Rough_Rock
What country are you in?
Did your purchase come with a certificate for insurance purposes that describes the chain
I have no reason to doubt them

I have purchased from Micheal Hill more than i like to admit
We have very strict consumer laws in NZ where Micheal Hill was founded
they get pounced on pretty quick here if they step out of line (don't buy extended warranties)

Many years ago i had non jewlery related bussiness with Micheal Hill and found him pleasent and curtiose to deal with

they might be a mall jewler who sell diamonds and gemstones with huge margins but im pretty sure they don't lie about what a product is

They do have a 30 day right of return here

I'm from Canada. And actually, yes! It did come with a certificate that states it's genuine. The only reason I'm concerned is because so many other chains that have identical dimensions to mine are sold as hollow. And like the guy at Ben Moss said, apparently no one sells solid curb chains at the 1-$2,000 price range anymore. Yet Michael Hill seems to contradict him. I'm just so torn right now.

klrrrr

Shiny_Rock
Your links look pretty flat as far as curb chains go - I was envisioning something puffier and tighter which automatically invites heavy weight. I guess the big question is - hollow or not - do you love it? If yes, it shouldn't matter.

FWIW, 20G for under 2k CAD isn't crazy, I paid around that for a 14k chain (antique) a few weeks ago.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never buy new anymore.
It doesn’t really matter if the chain is of hollow construction or solid construction, what matters is its weight vs it’s price.
Hollow links are popular because you get a bigger “look” for the gold content.
Gold chains should be “valued” on their gold weight / content.
When you buy from those jewellery stores they never advertise / willingly give you the weight of the article of gold jewellery so you can calculate whether the price they are asking is fair.
current melt value for 10kt gold is around $23.23 USD.
if you paid $1,800 US for the chain at “current gold melt” that would be a chain weighing 77 grams.
So weigh your chain and multiple it by $23.23 and that will give you the current actual “value” of its gold content.
Of course there is a premium added to the price as the gold content is a wearable piece of jewellery AND there are taxes and profit margin etc added in by the store BUT how much extra $$ were the manufacture, taxes and store profit?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm from Canada. And actually, yes! It did come with a certificate that states it's genuine. The only reason I'm concerned is because so many other chains that have identical dimensions to mine are sold as hollow. And like the guy at Ben Moss said, apparently no one sells solid curb chains at the 1-$2,000 price range anymore. Yet Michael Hill seems to contradict him. I'm just so torn right now.

Do you have the sku number on your receipt ?
I think tbose numbers are the same all over
im in town tomorrow and could call in and pretend i want to buy one and ask a lot of questions
I'd be interested what it costs here because we pay more here for jewlery

Runningfast123

Rough_Rock
Your links look pretty flat as far as curb chains go - I was envisioning something puffier and tighter which automatically invites heavy weight. I guess the big question is - hollow or not - do you love it? If yes, it shouldn't matter.

FWIW, 20G for under 2k CAD isn't crazy, I paid around that for a 14k chain (antique) a few weeks ago.

Well, honestly it really bothers me if it's hollow, because if hollow chains get damaged, then everyone says they're nearly impossible to restore back to normal condition. I'm just starting to think that maybe I should return it and save up for a chain that truly is solid and you can tell it's solid. I don't know, I really love the idea of solid gold because it brings you the quality with it.

Runningfast123

Rough_Rock
I never buy new anymore.
It doesn’t really matter if the chain is of hollow construction or solid construction, what matters is its weight vs it’s price.
Hollow links are popular because you get a bigger “look” for the gold content.
Gold chains should be “valued” on their gold weight / content.
When you buy from those jewellery stores they never advertise / willingly give you the weight of the article of gold jewellery so you can calculate whether the price they are asking is fair.
current melt value for 10kt gold is around $23.23 USD.
if you paid $1,800 US for the chain at “current gold melt” that would be a chain weighing 77 grams.
So weigh your chain and multiple it by $23.23 and that will give you the current actual “value” of its gold content.
Of course there is a premium added to the price as the gold content is a wearable piece of jewellery AND there are taxes and profit margin etc added in by the store BUT how much extra $$ were the manufacture, taxes and store profit?

I understand that it's about the weight, but personally I'm looking for quality too. And when it comes to lifetime wear, a hollow chain is likely to get dented and such, so I truly just want something solid, which I'll have to come to terms with spending a little more money.

I probably should've put more thought into this before I jumped the gun lol, but it is unfortunate that a lot of these jewellery stores don't give you the proper specifics like the weight of it, so they can push you into buying it. Well it is a lesson learned for me.

Runningfast123

Rough_Rock
Do you have the sku number on your receipt ?
I think tbose numbers are the same all over
im in town tomorrow and could call in and pretend i want to buy one and ask a lot of questions
I'd be interested what it costs here because we pay more here for jewlery

I believe the sku is on the receipt. Lots of numbers on there haha, but I'll give it a few more days to think if I really want to return this or not. I just want this to be quality and last a lifetime, so perhaps I'll save up for a heavier chain that truly is solid.

Hey that would be interesting! I'd like to know too how it goes with the weight and if they're hollow or not.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I believe the sku is on the receipt. Lots of numbers on there haha, but I'll give it a few more days to think if I really want to return this or not. I just want this to be quality and last a lifetime, so perhaps I'll save up for a heavier chain that truly is solid.

Hey that would be interesting! I'd like to know too how it goes with the weight and if they're hollow or not.

I really hope its not hollow

i shopped at the Paraparaumu branch (north of Wellington) in a mall with an aging demographic (retirement villages everywhere) but the one thing that sticks in my mind is i once tried on a stacking ring i quite liked and the lady said to me not to buy that one because it was hollow and wouldn't last
I know they work on incentives there and are under a lot of pressure to make sales but i always appreated that advice
i know a lot of the - lets say atmosphere (rather than full disclosure and pressure sales) of a store is depended on the atore manager and ive heard the store here in my new town is more pushy but they should still tell the truth when asked a question like is it hollow ?

I am more than happy to go and ask - but i gotta tell you its pouring with rain today so it might have to be tomorrow

I only just remembered i bought a gold chain from them to go with a pendent - I'll have to try to find its paperwork too

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is this it ?
If you click on the link it might try to redirect yoi to the Canadian site
See the huge difference in price?
Ignore that - but feel sorry for me as it brings a tear to my eye/ wallet
The exchange rate today is NZ$1.14 to your dollar
But we pay way too much for jewlery here

Screenshot_20210329-084601.png

Runningfast123

Rough_Rock
I really hope its not hollow

i shopped at the Paraparaumu branch (north of Wellington) in a mall with an aging demographic (retirement villages everywhere) but the one thing that sticks in my mind is i once tried on a stacking ring i quite liked and the lady said to me not to buy that one because it was hollow and wouldn't last
I know they work on incentives there and are under a lot of pressure to make sales but i always appreated that advice
i know a lot of the - lets say atmosphere (rather than full disclosure and pressure sales) of a store is depended on the atore manager and ive heard the store here in my new town is more pushy but they should still tell the truth when asked a question like is it hollow ?

I am more than happy to go and ask - but i gotta tell you its pouring with rain today so it might have to be tomorrow

I only just remembered i bought a gold chain from them to go with a pendent - I'll have to try to find its paperwork too

Yeah I'm also gonna go to different stores and try to get it "appraised" for free and see what other jewellers can give me their opinions on by just looking at it.

Runningfast123

Rough_Rock
Is this it ?
If you click on the link it might try to redirect yoi to the Canadian site
See the huge difference in price?
Ignore that - but feel sorry for me as it brings a tear to my eye/ wallet
The exchange rate today is NZ$1.14 to your dollar
But we pay way too much for jewlery here

Screenshot_20210329-084601.png

Oh my god... that's literally my chain but it says solid, yet it's more than twice the price I paid. I feel betrayed, I actually think I got scammed.

This is the chain that I bought, and if you compare the dimensions, the one you showed me is definitely heavier, yet has the same dimensions. This definitely tells me my chain is not solid. This is so sad.

EDIT: I honestly don't know anymore. Maybe the two chains have different width in their links, which sets the price difference. But the problem is they don't state all the dimensions. This makes it so hard to buy a chain for someone that is just learning. It's quite the headache if you ask me.

Last edited:

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Don't despair! Your chain is 4mm wide right? It is solid. The pricier one is 7mm wide. I chatted to them to get details on the two items.
Screenshot_20210329-001758_Samsung Internet.jpg

This is the chain that I bought, and if you compare the dimensions, the one you showed me is definitely heavier, yet has the same dimensions. This definitely tells me my chain is not solid. This is so sad.

EDIT: I honestly don't know anymore. Maybe the two chains have different width in their links, which sets the price difference. But the problem is they don't state all the dimensions. This makes it so hard to buy a chain for someone that is just learning. It's quite the headache if you ask me.

So I chatted to them on the website chat function. They are different widths. Hence the price difference.

Runningfast123

Rough_Rock
Don't despair! Your chain is 4mm wide right? It is solid. The pricier one is 7mm wide. I chatted to them to get details on the two items.

So I chatted to them on the website chat function. They are different widths. Hence the price difference.

Well, I measured the links with a ruler again and they appear to be exactly 5mm (it's right between the first mark and the middle mark from 1cm), but we can round it to 4, I guess. I'm still contemplating on if I should return it though because I'd rather just spend the extra money on something much heavier which can guarantee the quality. It's a shame the weight and width of the links is not common information at mall jewellery shops and you pretty much have to know the right questions to ask, because anyone that's new to this, like I am, will come across this problem.

Also, I wonder why the other chain does specifically state it's solid, and mine says nothing. Strange, but I'll sleep on this one for a few days and see how I feel.

Thanks everyone for the help.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Product 14327117 and 14323782 are the two that I had them compare. If you aren't in love with the chain return it. That is a big chunk of cash for something you aren't completely happy with. If you are ok with secondhand, buying off ebay from a charity shop that verifies gold content with a test kit or analyser is safe. I would be wary of any super good deals, used or otherwise, as gold content stamps and tags are often faked. So weight isn't the only thing you need to consider.

The last thing to remember is that 10k gold will usually be a lighter yellow color, and is usually dipped in 18k to give it that deeper color. It will rub off over time, but will still be yellow gold underneath, just a bit lighter.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my god... that's literally my chain but it says solid, yet it's more than twice the price I paid. I feel betrayed, I actually think I got scammed.

Oh no don't panic yet
jewlery is massively over priced in NZ
Im keeping my fingers crossed for you

Edit
phew i see we worked out the difference
i just googled the descriptions of your chain to get 'my' chain so my apologies for the heart attack

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Phew

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Daisy your idea about looking at the sku is what prompted me to have them compare. It is insane that they don't provide measurements. Since they used the exact same photo of several chains at different price points. Dumb dumb dumb.

Runningfast123

Rough_Rock
Honestly, guys. I decided to keep the chain. I gave it some thought, and when I did more research, I watched videos on youtube of people comparing hollow rope chains to solid ones with similar measurements to my curb chain, and I saw that the hollow rope chains that look super thick turned out to weigh no more than 12 grams on average. And solid rope chains are just over an ounce. My curb chain is nearly double the weight of a hollow rope chain which looks a lot bigger than my tiny curb chain. So with that logic I can say I'm satisfied with my purchase.

I know that jewellery shops in the mall are basically made up of salespeople that don't know much about their product and just want to sell it to you. So yeah basically to anyone new reading this, things to consider that I learned are always ask the weight first, then the width of the links, and ask if it's solid, then compare it in each hand to a similar product they have that they say is hollow, and feel which one is heavier.

It's incredibly hard finding something to your standards, so I can't be too picky. You guys even said my chain is definitely reasonable for the price, so I can't complain anymore. Next time if I feel like adding more jewellery to myself, I'll be asking a lot more questions, and definitely consider weight as a factor.

Thank you all for the replies, it really helped me make up my mind and give me more knowledge about the jewellery world. Have a nice day, everyone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results