shape
carat
color
clarity

austin or dallas?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
so, looks like hubs is going to have a job opportunity coming up. right now, it''s a choice between austin & dallas. i''m familiar with north austin + downtown austin, but have only passed through dallas. the job in austin would be close to south austin. in dallas, it would be on the outskirts of north dallas. we''d definitely be checking out the areas for ourselves, but i thought i''d get some advice from those that have lived in these areas.

so far, what i''ve gathered is that austin is more funky + artsy and dallas is more cosmopolitan. but, how do they compare in terms of housing? crime? schools?

how is housing in south austin?

the pros of austin are that we are both familiar with the town. also, hub has heard very positive things about the office there.

in dallas he''s doesn''t have any connections thus far. but, it seems like it''d be a really nice place to live.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
austin rocks!

a friend of mine used to live there and loved it...don't know any other details though... sorry.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Well, when I was deciding between Houston and Dallas, everybody said they wished Austin was a choice, ''cause that would be the top recommendation. So just based on that, FWIW, I''d vote for Austin.

My (brief) impression of Dallas was mostly positive though. There are definitely some wonderful restaurants and lots of attractive new construction, and the trail up near the North part of uptown (forget what its called) looked really pretty. It also seemed like a really family- and kid-friendly area.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 10:34:58 AM
Author: AmberGretchen
Well, when I was deciding between Houston and Dallas, everybody said they wished Austin was a choice, ''cause that would be the top recommendation. So just based on that, FWIW, I''d vote for Austin.

My (brief) impression of Dallas was mostly positive though. There are definitely some wonderful restaurants and lots of attractive new construction, and the trail up near the North part of uptown (forget what its called) looked really pretty. It also seemed like a really family- and kid-friendly area.

that''s the impression i get from dallas too... and in the long run, family + kid friendly + safe is what we''re looking for.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 10:43:41 AM
Author: jcrow

Well, when I was deciding between Houston and Dallas, everybody said they wished Austin was a choice, 'cause that would be the top recommendation. So just based on that, FWIW, I'd vote for Austin.

that's the impression i get from dallas too... and in the long run, family + kid friendly + safe is what we're looking for.
I live in Dallas, but have some family in Austin, and they love it.

I'm going to be one of those people voting for Austin. I'd love to move there. It's a more liberal area, and the Hill Country is just plain pretty. Some of the best rock climbing in TX is in and around Austin.

In Dallas, the school districts to the North (Allen, Frico, McKinney) seem to be among the best, unless you choose a private school. If you have the funds, Highland Park has amazing schools and housing, but it's PRICEY!

I'm near Allen in Plano, and our neighbourhood is really safe. I tend to hear most about the crime that happens in South Dallas, South Irving, South Grand Prairie . . . (all of which I've spent some time in/lived in, and all of which I would avoid again). However, north Dallas neighbourhoods are not immune to break-ins and vehicle theft. It's just not as heavily reported.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I lived in Dallas for 20 years, so I''m going to recommend...Austin. Dallas is a nice place to live, but beyond shopping and restaurants, there''s not a whole lot to do, to be honest. I have lots of family in Austin who absolutely love it and claim they''ll never move, and I''ve always enjoyed my time there immensely. If I were to move back to Texas, it''d be to Austin.

(If you have any questions about Dallas, however, I''ll be happy to try to answer them. And I believe Amber is referring to the Katy Trail.)

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I love visiting Austin so my vote is Austin!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
austin.

dallas is way to conservative.

mz

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
so far, all votes austin. interesting...

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
I live in Austin (have for almost 3 years) and I love it! I can''t help much with housing or schools (I am a grad student and I live in an apt) but it is a relatively safe city. As far as apartments go, I know that the only overpriced ones are the ones near the University of Texas. There are definitely some areas to avoid in terms of crime, but I have never heard of anything too terrible happening. There is a lot to do, arts and music-wise and also outdoorsy type stuff (lots of hiking trails). It''s a great city for dogs too. There are a lot of good restaurants and bars/music venues. I think Austin is working towards being more cosmopolitan and hip. A swanky shopping center opened a couple years back that has stores like Neiman Marcus, Tiffany, Intermix, etc. I have a friend who moved to Dallas after growing up in Austin and she definitely prefers Austin.

If you have any other questions about Austin, I''d be more than happy to help in any way I can
1.gif

My vote is Austin!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 10:43:41 AM

that''s the impression i get from dallas too... and in the long run, family + kid friendly + safe is what we''re looking for.

I do think the other posters have a point though. It sounds like maybe there is more going on in Austin, and honestly, as a kid who grew up partly in San Francisco proper and partly in a suburb outside San Francisco that was very much like Dallas, I would prefer to raise kids where there is more going on - they get exposure to so much more, and don''t run into trouble because they are bored as teenagers. I also liked the fact that Austin sounds more liberal - I think its important for kids to be exposed to diversity - I''m so glad that I was as a child, and I wouldn''t trade that experience for being a little bit safer.

Anyway, I guess all that just means that I''d vote Austin if I had to choose, FWIW...

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve only visited both on business (I got to Austin once or twice a year and have done so for the last 13 years). So I''m with the others...I love Austin.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Austin Austin Austin...

I''ve never been to Dallas, but DH and I have friends in Austin and I looooove it there. It doesn''t feel at all like Texas.

Ohhhhh and if I could eat Gospel Breakfast every Sunday.... seriously, Austin is a very, cool city.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
My 24 yr. daughter lives in Austin, UT grad, working now. Anyway, I vote Austin for sure!
I go frequently to visit and have for years. Often we stop on our way to the Hill Country.

South/SW Austin IMHO, is a mix of communities. But that doesn''t mean you have to live there.
Daughter has lived near campus, Enfield area (close Mopac), South/SW Austin and now Barton Creek area.

She had a few problems while living off Brodie Lane and Hwy 71. Her car was broken into and that was in a gated apt. community.
But other than noisy neighbors, people hanging around the parking lots, and heavy traffic, it was really ok. Just didn''t feel real safe.

Austin has so much to offer. I love to go shopping there because it seems I can get around easier than I can in HOuston.
The new Domain shopping complex is wonderful and it''s growing. restaurants are great and the music scene is awesome. But you already know that.
There is always something exciting going on and it''s easy to get to. (unlike Houston) Central Market and Whole Foods can easily entertain me!
There are many lakes nearby to enjoy and lots of opportunity for outside activities. It does get hot, but so does Dallas. One negative
I can think of is the allergy problems people seem to develop after moving to the area. Cedar seems to bother a lot of folks.
Maybe you wouldn''t be one of those!

Housing costs are keeping steady. They seem a tick higher than Houston, but still not awful if you compare to the rest of the country.
Maybe you could rent or lease for a while to see what area you''d like. There are prons and cons I''m sure for different areas. My best friend
bought a house in Apache Shores as a second home. New home, 4-3-2, $400.00. She bought it 2 yrs ago and is now asking $500.00. She
might not get that, but she''s trying. I''ve researched condos for our daughter, but she''s just not ready yet. The prices depend on where in town you are looking.
Traffic along I-35 and Mopac can be heavy during peak times, but Austin is not as large as Dallas, so that makes the commute a wee bit shorter.

I think the Westlake schools are highly rated, but I''m not sure of that.
Good luck, let us what you decide.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 3:42:24 PM
Author: bebe
My 24 yr. daughter lives in Austin, UT grad, working now. Anyway, I vote Austin for sure!
I go frequently to visit and have for years. Often we stop on our way to the Hill Country.

South/SW Austin IMHO, is a mix of communities. But that doesn''t mean you have to live there.
Daughter has lived near campus, Enfield area (close Mopac), South/SW Austin and now Barton Creek area.
She had a few problems while living off Brodie Lane and Hwy 71. Her car was broken into and that was in a gated apt. community.
But other than noisy neighbors, people hanging around the parking lots, and heavy traffic, it was really ok. Just didn''t feel real safe.

Austin has so much to offer. I love to go shopping there because it seems I can get around easier than I can in HOuston.
The new Domain shopping complex is wonderful and it''s growing. restaurants are great and the music scene is awesome. But you already know that.
There is always something exciting going on and it''s easy to get to. (unlike Houston) Central Market and Whole Foods can easily entertain me!
There are many lakes nearby to enjoy and lots of opportunity for outside activities. It does get hot, but so does Dallas. One negative
I can think of is the allergy problems people seem to develop after moving to the area. Cedar seems to bother a lot of folks.
Maybe you wouldn''t be one of those!

Housing costs are keeping steady. They seem a tick higher than Houston, but still not awful if you compare to the rest of te country.
Maybe you could rent or lease for a while to see what area you''d like. There are prons and cons I''m sure for different areas. My best friend
bought a house in Apache Shores as a second home. New home, 4-3-2, $400.00. She bought it 2 yrs ago and is now asking $500.00. She
might not get that, but she''s trying. I''ve researched condos for our daughter, but she''s just not ready yet. The prices depend on where in own you are looking.
Traffic along I-35 and Mopac can be heavy during peak times, but Austin is not as large as Dallas, so that makes the commute a wee bit shorter.

I think the Westlake schools are highly rated, but I''m not sure of that.

Good luck, let us what you decide.

thanks so much for all of your imput. we would be looking to live in the south/southwest austin area since it''d be closer to hubs office. ideally we''d love to live in north austin, but there''s no way he''d want to fight the traffic day in and day out to get to his office in the outskirts of south austin. and yes, we''d also be looking to rent for a good while. not sure how long we''ll be in the area. at least two years, but not sure what''s in store beyond that. and we can''t justify buying a home if we''re just here for a couple of years.

coming from louisiana, we''re already accustomed to the heat and actually excited about a decrease in humidity
14.gif
we''re also familiar with allergies. but, hopefully the cedar won''t affect us much!

idreamofice

Shiny_Rock
Hi there,

I live in Austin and I love it (4years). It took some getting used to since I''ve lived in Houston minutes away from Downtown all my life.

I live in North West Austin and it''s pretty laid back up here. I''d say there is more going on in South Austin...but I still prefer North Austin.

One thing I''ve noticed is that there are shortage of restaurants in this town...lol. I miss all the hole in the walls and ethnic restaurants in Houston (maybe I''m not looking hard enough.) I also kind of miss living in a big city sometimes but I have no major complaints.

Downtown Austin is a little different than Houston, I think Houston has more dance clubs where as Austin has more Bars. I thought is was a bit strange at first not having do dish out 20-40 dollars just to walk in to have a drink lol.

I can''t really say anything about schools around here since I''m only 25 years old have no kids.

Housing market is pretty stable here, we purchased our home a few years ago when the housing market was still booming. I wish we had waited since it seems we could have gotten a better deal had we waited a few years...

1.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 4:09:08 PM
Author: idreamofice
Hi there,

I live in Austin and I love it (4years). It took some getting used to since I''ve lived in Houston minutes away from Downtown all my life.

I live in North West Austin and it''s pretty laid back up here. I''d say there is more going on in South Austin...but I still prefer North Austin.

One thing I''ve noticed is that there are shortage of restaurants in this town...lol. I miss all the hole in the walls and ethnic restaurants in Houston (maybe I''m not looking hard enough.) I also kind of miss living in a big city sometimes but I have no major complaints.

Downtown Austin is a little different than Houston, I think Houston has more dance clubs where as Austin has more Bars. I thought is was a bit strange at first not having do dish out 20-40 dollars just to walk in to have a drink lol.

I can''t really say anything about schools around here since I''m only 25 years old have no kids.

Housing market is pretty stable here, we purchased our home a few years ago when the housing market was still booming. I wish we had waited since it seems we could have gotten a better deal had we waited a few years...

1.gif

thanks for your imput too. interesting to hear houstonians'' perspectives since i''m familiar with that area.

also good to hear your thoughts on north vs south. everything i''ve been reading suggested north was developing more than south austin.

i actually prefer the bars vs clubs, since where i''m from we tend to have more bars vs clubs too... course could be my age playing a factor too
20.gif

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Depends on what you are looking for.

I grew up in Dallas and lived in Austin for 3 years. Austin is hands down fantastic. I much prefer South Austin- North Austin is pretty suburban and far from all of the great restaurants and live music. Great public schools and tons of family friendly stuff to do. I would move back to Austin in a second- it's got lakes and hills, charm, great food, music, and is much more liberal and artsy.

However- it does sometimes feel a bit "small". The shopping has gotten way better since I lived there but I had to go to Dallas to do any "real" shopping. Sometimes I craved a bigger city- I moved there from Los Angeles.

But at this stage in my life- married, kid on the way, it's perfect.

Being from Louisiana, you'd probably like Dallas. It's very cosmopolitan and has great museums and shopping and restaurants. Dallas actually has a pretty high crime rate but it's concentrated in "bad" areas. School-wise, it just depends on where you'd live. I hear the schools are good up north, but I personally prefer living closer to Dallas.

If I had my choice, I'd say Austin. But if you end up in Dallas, I think you'd be happy. Keep us posted!

ETA: South Austin is booming. Just drive down South Congress. And I much much prefer Austin over Houston (I live in Houston now). There are a few "dance" clubs but the majority are just great bars. Which I also prefer. Ahh, now I'm missing Austin.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 4:14:20 PM
Author: ChinaCat
Depends on what you are looking for.

I grew up in Dallas and lived in Austin for 3 years. Austin is hands down fantastic. I much prefer South Austin- North Austin is pretty suburban and far from all of the great restaurants and live music. Great public schools and tons of family friendly stuff to do. I would move back to Austin in a second- it''s got lakes and hills, charm, great food, music, and is much more liberal and artsy.

However- it does sometimes feel a bit ''small''. The shopping has gotten way better since I lived there but I had to go to Dallas to do any ''real'' shopping. Sometimes I craved a bigger city- I moved there from Los Angeles.

But at this stage in my life- married, kid on the way, it''s perfect.

Being from Louisiana, you''d probably like Dallas. It''s very cosmopolitan and has great museums and shopping and restaurants. Dallas actually has a pretty high crime rate but it''s concentrated in ''bad'' areas. School-wise, it just depends on where you''d live. I hear the schools are good up north, but I personally prefer living closer to Dallas.

If I had my choice, I''d say Austin. But if you end up in Dallas, I think you''d be happy. Keep us posted!

interesting points... thanks.

i probably also should point out that austin/dallas/houston seem like BIG cities to me. and both will likely be very overwhelming for me at first. the size + traffic?! eeks. hehehe.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Jcrow-

Austin is actually pretty small. Dallas is much bigger. Though Austin keeps expanding north and the traffic is miserable. But that''s because there are only 2 highways going north and south. What I consider "Austin" is pretty small.

Honestly, I don''t know many people that don''t love Austin. If you end up there, let us know so we can tell all the places to go!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 4:30:11 PM
Author: ChinaCat
Jcrow-

Austin is actually pretty small. Dallas is much bigger. Though Austin keeps expanding north and the traffic is miserable. But that''s because there are only 2 highways going north and south. What I consider ''Austin'' is pretty small.

Honestly, I don''t know many people that don''t love Austin. If you end up there, let us know so we can tell all the places to go!

yeh, that''s what i was thinking re: size. dallas seems very big, but, then again if we are in the suburbs with things we need - groceries, restaurants, etc. - then maybe i would feel it''s manageable and not so overwhelming.

idreamofice

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 4:13:26 PM

Hi there,

1.gif

thanks for your imput too. interesting to hear houstonians'' perspectives since i''m familiar with that area.

also good to hear your thoughts on north vs south. everything i''ve been reading suggested north was developing more than south austin.

i actually prefer the bars vs clubs, since where i''m from we tend to have more bars vs clubs too... course could be my age playing a factor too
20.gif
Your welcome!

I hear you on the Bars vs Clubs...I prefer bars now as well.

North Austin is developing, the Domain is the new shopping ceter and it''s pretty cool, it looks like a mini Manhattan to me lol.

I live near the Arboretum and I really like it because it is so laid back.... I must be growing up? lol.

Good luck!

Oh and my only major complaint is that I really really miss the rain!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
idreamofice: that''s a good thing for me! haha. i hate rain.

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! This is exactly what we''re going through right now. Hubby''s been offered a promotion and we have to choose between Dallas or Austin. I''ve lived in Dallas and have also lived in Houston. Dallas is a very cosmopolitan city. The people are friendly, good schools, shopping, museums, etc. I wouldn''t mind living there again.

We''ve decided on Austin for many of the reasons everyone has listed here. MUCH prettier city (the hill country is just so beautiful.) It''s more diverse, artsy, etc.... We''ll probably be moving there by September of this year. What''s your time frame look like for the move?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 5:10:41 PM
Author: luvmyhalo
Wow! This is exactly what we''re going through right now. Hubby''s been offered a promotion and we have to choose between Dallas or Austin. I''ve lived in Dallas and have also lived in Houston. Dallas is a very cosmopolitan city. The people are friendly, good schools, shopping, museums, etc. I wouldn''t mind living there again.

We''ve decided on Austin for many of the reasons everyone has listed here. MUCH prettier city (the hill country is just so beautiful.) It''s more diverse, artsy, etc.... We''ll probably be moving there by September of this year. What''s your time frame look like for the move?

wow. what are the odds?! not sure of the timeline. he meets with regional directors next week. we''re at the early stages of all of this. have a house to sell
7.gif
, etc.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 4:38:22 PM

Hi there,

1.gif

20.gif
Your welcome!

North Austin is developing, the Domain is the new shopping ceter and it''s pretty cool, it looks like a mini Manhattan to me lol.

I live near the Arboretum and I really like it because it is so laid back.... I must be growing up? lol.

Good luck!

hey, dreamofice, are you getting rain today? Thursday?
this is off subject, but I love the lavender fields out in the HIll Country, I''m afraid
the drought conditions will have an awful effect on the crop this year.
And I hear there is a new hotel coming into The Domain. That''s bad news for me, it''ll make
shopping there way too easy.
2.gif

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
That house is great... However, I think if you ever made it to Gainesville you''d be sorely disappointed.
2.gif

If living in the suburbs is an option, I vote Dallas. I grew up in the Dallas Fort Worth metroplex and I loved it!!! I adore visiting Austin, but I think I would prefer to live where I grew up. Austin to me just seems like a place I want to go to shop, see museums, look at weirdo''s, etc. Dallas to me is more "home." I''m totally biased as I grew up there.... But I stinkin'' love Fort Worth! Southlake, Grapevine, and Colleyville all have really great schools, among a million other places. My dad worked in Dallas for 17 years and never complained about the commute. I think you should visit both places and see what is a better fit for you.

idreamofice

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 6:57:21 PM
Author: bebe

Date: 3/12/2009 4:38:22 PM

Hi there,

1.gif

20.gif
Your welcome!

Good luck!

hey, dreamofice, are you getting rain today? Thursday?
this is off subject, but I love the lavender fields out in the HIll Country, I''m afraid
the drought conditions will have an awful effect on the crop this year.
And I hear there is a new hotel coming into The Domain. That''s bad news for me, it''ll make
shopping there way too easy.
2.gif
Bebe,

Yes I am getting a little bit of rain...but not enough! Some of my plants have died due to this terrible drought. Ofcouse I need to get better at watering them...I''m just used to livng in Houston where it rains a LOT more.

Lol....yes, stay away from Hotels in the Domain!!! You will get yourself in trouble! I was just there a few nights ago and it looks like they are building more condos...

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 7:58:04 PM
Author: OUpeargirl
That house is great... However, I think if you ever made it to Gainesville you''d be sorely disappointed.
2.gif

If living in the suburbs is an option, I vote Dallas. I grew up in the Dallas Fort Worth metroplex and I loved it!!! I adore visiting Austin, but I think I would prefer to live where I grew up. Austin to me just seems like a place I want to go to shop, see museums, look at weirdo''s, etc. Dallas to me is more ''home.'' I''m totally biased as I grew up there.... But I stinkin'' love Fort Worth! Southlake, Grapevine, and Colleyville all have really great schools, among a million other places. My dad worked in Dallas for 17 years and never complained about the commute. I think you should visit both places and see what is a better fit for you.

thanks for adding your opinion to the mix.

hopefully we''ll be able to know more next week and visit the areas too. i think that will give us a better idea of both locations. but your {collectively} experience and comments are very helpful and very much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results