shape
carat
color
clarity

austin or dallas?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have no experience with Texas but wanted to wish you and the hubs the best of luck!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
thanks t!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Austin. Hands down. You will never be bored or hungry again -- ever!
9.gif

Of course, UT makes it a college town with all that that brings, including some top notch college athletics. And you''ve got a great music scene for everything from indie/folk to the best of the classical works. Big name concerts, Broadway road shows, classic films at the Paramount, Book People (bookstore), the only other Katz''s deli outside of NYC, Whole Foods, and HEB''s Central Market, street festivals, South by Southwest music and film festival, and the kind of funky little places only Austin can provide.

North Dallas is waaayyy too quiet if you like activity. And just a tad too ordinary IMO.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Austin, hands down. If I ever had to move to Texas, knockin on some serious wood, that would be the only city I would live in.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I live near Austin right now and I''m going to have to vote for Dallas. Austin housing prices are actually outrageous in many areas. Kyle (about 15 mins south) is a small but growing town with cheaper housing but not too much otherwise. One thing DH has learned from his grad professors is that the city planners in Austin wanted it to be this little hippie style community and not grow too large so they figured if they didn''t build the roads, the people wouldn''t come. Well, the opposite proved to be true yet the city STILL didn''t invest in expanding their highways etc so the traffic can be incredibly bad. They''re doing a little bit to improve it now but the traffic is still way worse than in Dallas IMO. Austin is very liberal, which I am not, so that affects my recommendation as well. It does have some good points but Dallas wins for me.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 1:16:40 AM
Author: oobiecoo
I live near Austin right now and I''m going to have to vote for Dallas. Austin housing prices are actually outrageous in many areas. Kyle (about 15 mins south) is a small but growing town with cheaper housing but not too much otherwise. One thing DH has learned from his grad professors is that the city planners in Austin wanted it to be this little hippie style community and not grow too large so they figured if they didn''t build the roads, the people wouldn''t come. Well, the opposite proved to be true yet the city STILL didn''t invest in expanding their highways etc so the traffic can be incredibly bad. They''re doing a little bit to improve it now but the traffic is still way worse than in Dallas IMO. Austin is very liberal, which I am not, so that affects my recommendation as well. It does have some good points but Dallas wins for me.
I have to agree with you here. I have read articles that seems to reflect that same opinion. I frequently drive from Austin to San Marcos (oh, the shopping!!) and it''s obvious the growth from Austin south along I-35. Also a lot of growth north around Round Rock. (Dell) Affordable housing has been addressed as an issue in Austin. But I still love Austin. I think it kinda depends on what part of town you live in, close to downtown, yes is expensive. But I know there are other options. My daughter''s boyfriend bought his first house just past the Aboretum area. 175,000, 3-3-2, big yard, nice area. I just think Austin has so much to offer a younger person. I''m very conservative myself, but I love the vibe in Austin!

Giada

Shiny_Rock
JCrow,

I cannot add a lot that hasn't already been said about Austin. I was born and raised here and I can't imaginie living anywhere else. It is a great city for young couples and families. We have the lakes, the hills, the city, music, art, etc. There is a lot to do here and I think you'll love the weather coming from Louisiana.

I've always lived in North Austin, but I have several friends that live South. If you're looking South, take a look at Circle C Ranch. It is a golf course community with a very close commute to downtown and South Austin. The homes in the area start around $250K and go up to $700k, so there are a lot of young families, and the area will stay nice due to the golf course proximity and higher-end homes. The schools are great in the area, too.

There are some nicer older homes around Barton Skyway in South Austin. Nice, big yards with most homes built in the 70's. That area has a cool vibe.

Westlake is also a very nice area out in the hills (near the lake as the name implies). Homes in Westlake are a little higher-end ($400K-$2M+), but you might be able to find a good deal in this market.

Steiner Ranch is another nice area near the hills and lakes that has homes in a broad price range ($250-$1M), depending on location within the neighborhood. Excellent schools in this area!

So, check out:
Westlake Hills
Circle C
Barton Hills/Barton Skyway
Steiner Ranch

This is a great site: www.austinhomesearch.com
You can search by neighborhood, price range, etc.

When you visit, check out the Warehouse District for wine bars, and South Congress for music and good "local flavor".

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

ETA: One of my very best friends is from Lafayette and it was a very easy transition for her moving to Austin. : - )

Giada

Shiny_Rock
I just remembered another good ''hood in South Austin in addition to the ones mentioned above...Travis Country.

: - )

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Giada - thanks so much for all of your info. i''ll be checking out that link for sure. oh, and i''ve heard lafayette is austin''s sister city...

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
thanks bebe!

blondie23

Shiny_Rock
well i have been out of the loop for a while but my vote would be DALLAS but I am biased because I live here :)

jellycat

Rough_Rock
i vote austin! hehe..that''s because i live there now and would love to meet you! did you and your DH decide on which city yet?

my hubby and i have only been here for a couple of months now, so i don''t have as much info.. we also haven''t made the trip to dallas yet, but hope to very soon.

if you are going to be renting an apartment, i''d check out craigslist or get one of those apartment guides in the grocery stores when you get there. OR, you can go through an apartment locator service (saw the ads on craigslist), and have them help you find something - it''s free!

we are currently living in north austin and love it because we''re very close to costco, grocery stores, and shopping so it''s pretty convenient. there isn''t as much high-end shopping here, but it just goes with the down to earth vibe..

anyway, let us know what you guys decide!

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
AUSTIN! Well, College Station.....
9.gif

Lori

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results