shape
carat
color
clarity

[AUS] Help with diamond selection

durianhead

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

First of, I'd like to thank the people on this forum for spending their time helping random strangers such as myself.

Bit of background - I'm on the hunt for a brilliant round diamond that will go on an engagement ring (6 prong knife's edge solitaire setting, either in rose gold or yellow gold). Based on information gathered, I've shortlisted some stones that I think fits the criteria proportion wise.

I'd like to get everyone's thoughts on the diamonds below and which one would you go for if you were presented with these options?

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/0.972-g-si1-signature-round-ags-104112553006
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/1.002-j-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104103366031
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/1.100-j-si1-round-diamond-ags-104075658038
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4355234.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4285114.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4335934.htm
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...color-si2-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-8280138

Specifically, because some of them seem to fall on the lower end range of the acceptable color scale.

Thanks in advance!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have many comments on MRB. Although I am not sure if you are asian and if there are any cultural aspects you need to consider i.e. higher colour/clarity? I would aim for the first one the 0.97 G Si1 in that case. You can't go wrong with White Flash or Brian Gavin :)

durianhead

Rough_Rock
I don't have many comments on MRB. Although I am not sure if you are asian and if there are any cultural aspects you need to consider i.e. higher colour/clarity? I would aim for the first one the 0.97 G Si1 in that case. You can't go wrong with White Flash or Brian Gavin :)

Hi Maryjane04,

I am asian, however maybe not asian enough because I'm not aware of any cultural preferences regarding colour/clarity :lol:.

Thanks for the rec though! Will keep that in mind.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Maryjane04,

I am asian, however maybe not asian enough because I'm not aware of any cultural preferences regarding colour/clarity :lol:.

Thanks for the rec though! Will keep that in mind.

Hahaha that's okay.. but sometimes if your family/friends are expecting a certain colour etc.. your intended might get asked the specs etc that's all lol. I know my MIL compares a lot hahaha but luckily I don't care :)

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
I’m still pretty new to this so other more experienced members may have some input. For what it is worth I like the Brian Gavin J VS2 the best. All of the others are SI1-2. Some of the inclusions in the stones are at the centre of the table and my concern would be whether these were visible close up, especially if your partner is short sighted. I like to “inspect” my stones close up and I can say any thing visible from 10cm away would annoy me. I once inspected a stone (albeit a white sapphire) and was able to spot a crystal inclusion straight away - that would have bugged me.

durianhead

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input!

Happy to be guided otherwise but to be honest, I'm kind of leaning towards the JA one:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...color-si2-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-8280138

Reasons being:
  • Value for money
  • Meets the cut requirement that @sledge provided
  • Sits slightly higher on the color scale compared to the rest (I mentally have I as my lowest range though happy to be advised that this is irrelevant)
  • Meets the 1 carat requirement
  • Appears eye clean

1623760180984.png
1623760222479.png 1623760346965.png

Attachments

• 1623760242325.png
    1623760242325.png
    109.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 1623760262212.png
    1623760262212.png
    102.1 KB · Views: 9

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
The comments on this Si2 stone "clarity grade based on clouds not shown" and surface graining. @sledge. Sorry if this was discussed in an earlier discussion on this stone.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Clarity based on clouds not shown" for SI1 or below should be avoided

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The WF and brian gavin stones all look good to me. I might eliminate the last WF option (the K color) as that will be quite warm and not sure if that will be ok with your fiance. Eliminate the JA option due to "clarity based on clouds not shown"

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Despite the stellar proportions, that particular SI2 from JA would be a no-go, for me.

The clouds are very prominent causing an extreme amount of light performance interference which makes it appear blurry/hazy, plus I think the graining can be easily seen:

JA SI2.png

I usually steer away from CVD diamonds because of the layered nature from the growth process and stick with HPHT diamonds.
Just something to consider.
[EDIT] - sorry, CVD doesn't apply here, since these are natural/mined diamonds. I'm blaming both a lack of sleep and coffee. :roll::razz:

Last edited:

durianhead

Rough_Rock
The comments on this Si2 stone "clarity grade based on clouds not shown" and surface graining. @sledge. Sorry if this was discussed in an earlier discussion on this stone.

"Clarity based on clouds not shown" for SI1 or below should be avoided

Thank you for pointing it out! I wouldn't have noticed it otherwise!

The WF and brian gavin stones all look good to me. I might eliminate the last WF option (the K color) as that will be quite warm and not sure if that will be ok with your fiance. Eliminate the JA option due to "clarity based on clouds not shown"

Thank you for the recommendations. It's reassuring to know that J is still acceptable, I'm planning to have it set on platinum prong sitting on a rose gold solitaire if that helps.

Despite the stellar proportions, that particular SI2 from JA would be a no-go, for me.

The clouds are very prominent causing an extreme amount of light performance interference which makes it appear blurry/hazy, plus I think the graining can be easily seen:

I usually steer away from CVD diamonds because of the layered nature from the growth process and stick with HPHT diamonds.
Just something to consider.

Thank you for highlighting the graining! I asked the JA gemologist but they still said it's not visible. I trust the people on PS more though so I will steer clear from the JA ones.

Might be a stupid question but how can I tell which ones are CVD and which ones are HPHT?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you for the recommendations. It's reassuring to know that J is still acceptable, I'm planning to have it set on platinum prong sitting on a rose gold solitaire if that helps.

Thank you for highlighting the graining! I asked the JA gemologist but they still said it's not visible. I trust the people on PS more though so I will steer clear from the JA ones.

Might be a stupid question but how can I tell which ones are CVD and which ones are HPHT?

None of these are CVD or HPHT. Those terms are for treated and/or lab diamonds so do not apply here

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

None of these are CVD or HPHT. Those terms are for treated and/or lab diamonds so do not apply here

Sheesh - I am so sorry: I had some threads/topics mixed up as I'm plowing through the different subforums.

As lovedogs said: CVD/HPHT doesn't apply here, since these are all natural/mined diamonds. My apology for any confusion that I caused!

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hi there,

First of, I'd like to thank the people on this forum for spending their time helping random strangers such as myself.

Bit of background - I'm on the hunt for a brilliant round diamond that will go on an engagement ring (6 prong knife's edge solitaire setting, either in rose gold or yellow gold). Based on information gathered, I've shortlisted some stones that I think fits the criteria proportion wise.

I'd like to get everyone's thoughts on the diamonds below and which one would you go for if you were presented with these options?

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/0.972-g-si1-signature-round-ags-104112553006
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/1.002-j-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104103366031
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/1.100-j-si1-round-diamond-ags-104075658038
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4355234.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4285114.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4335934.htm

Specifically, because some of them seem to fall on the lower end range of the acceptable color scale.

Thanks in advance!

I took at a look at all the BGD and WF options here, and I think the BGD 1.002 J VS2 and the WF ACA 1.11 J VS2 are the best looking in regards to their magnified views.
Either would be a great performer, considering who the sellers are.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the input!

Happy to be guided otherwise but to be honest, I'm kind of leaning towards the JA one:

Reasons being:
  • Value for money
  • Meets the cut requirement that @sledge provided
  • Sits slightly higher on the color scale compared to the rest (I mentally have I as my lowest range though happy to be advised that this is irrelevant)
  • Meets the 1 carat requirement
  • Appears eye clean

1623760180984.png
1623760222479.png 1623760346965.png

Sorry the delayed response. Things are haywire at work and putting out fires.

In regards to the JA stone, I would not purchase. As others pointed out, this one isn't about the proportions but rather the clarity grade. SI2's always require care when vetting.

Sadly, this stone has the infamous "clarity is based on clouds not shown" note on the lab report. And surface graining not shown just adds insult to injury. What this really means is the stone will be hazy looking. In the video, you can see the effects taking place. If put in spot lighting, it would become more obvious.

IMO, this is not a deal but rather a headache waiting to happen. Sorry. I know it ticks other boxes for you, but if I were buying I would just want brutal honesty so I didn't waste my money. When I get more time, I will explore some other options for you.

durianhead

Rough_Rock
Sheesh - I am so sorry: I had some threads/topics mixed up as I'm plowing through the different subforums.

As lovedogs said: CVD/HPHT doesn't apply here, since these are all natural/mined diamonds. My apology for any confusion that I caused!
No worries at all!

I took at a look at all the BGD and WF options here, and I think the BGD 1.002 J VS2 and the WF ACA 1.11 J VS2 are the best looking in regards to their magnified views.
Either would be a great performer, considering who the sellers are.
Thank you for the input! I will take it into consideration.

Sorry the delayed response. Things are haywire at work and putting out fires.

In regards to the JA stone, I would not purchase. As others pointed out, this one isn't about the proportions but rather the clarity grade. SI2's always require care when vetting.

Sadly, this stone has the infamous "clarity is based on clouds not shown" note on the lab report. And surface graining not shown just adds insult to injury. What this really means is the stone will be hazy looking. In the video, you can see the effects taking place. If put in spot lighting, it would become more obvious.

IMO, this is not a deal but rather a headache waiting to happen. Sorry. I know it ticks other boxes for you, but if I were buying I would just want brutal honesty so I didn't waste my money. When I get more time, I will explore some other options for you.
Yeap, I think you've summed it up perfectly. Thanks for helping me dodge a disaster.

If it's not too much trouble, could I please get your thoughts on whether you had any preference among the other BDG or WF stones I listed?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it's not too much trouble, could I please get your thoughts on whether you had any preference among the other BDG or WF stones I listed?

I have pretty limited time this AM and will be mostly off the radar the next few days but will take a look for you. Generally speaking BGD and WF are good choices. Both are trusted and well respected vendors. Both provide full array of data & images to make an informed decision. If upgrading is important, WF has a better upgrade program (both lifetime, but WF is less restrictive).

Both vendors own their stones assuming you stick with their branded collections. Virtual inventory is hit/miss. Owning them they can vet more thoroughly IMO and if you have additional questions both can pull the stones and provide further in-depth analysis.

I bought my wife’s stone from BGD but would have no qualms buying from either. From the general overview you can start to pick on nuances that may lead to personality preferences.

I will check back in when I can deep dive for you.

durianhead

Rough_Rock
I have pretty limited time this AM and will be mostly off the radar the next few days but will take a look for you. Generally speaking BGD and WF are good choices. Both are trusted and well respected vendors. Both provide full array of data & images to make an informed decision. If upgrading is important, WF has a better upgrade program (both lifetime, but WF is less restrictive).

Both vendors own their stones assuming you stick with their branded collections. Virtual inventory is hit/miss. Owning them they can vet more thoroughly IMO and if you have additional questions both can pull the stones and provide further in-depth analysis.

I bought my wife’s stone from BGD but would have no qualms buying from either. From the general overview you can start to pick on nuances that may lead to personality preferences.

I will check back in when I can deep dive for you.

Don't worry about it! You've been super helpful so far. I've decided to go ahead with the purchase of this stone:

WF 1.11ct J VS2 Premium Selection

I'll post my updates here on the progress as I go just in case anyone's wondering about the process.

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Don't worry about it! You've been super helpful so far. I've decided to go ahead with the purchase of this stone:

WF 1.11ct J VS2 Premium Selection

I'll post my updates here on the progress as I go just in case anyone's wondering about the process.

Congrats and great choice!
Count me in as one that is looking forward to reading more about your progress during your new adventure!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results